Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
I really like the font Apple used back in the day for its print ads - the one where certain numbers hung down a little lower. I think the 3, 5, 7, and 9 were like that. Here's an example. What font is that? I thought Garamond but that doesn't seem the same. Thanks!

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
I really like the font Apple used back in the day for its print ads - the one where certain numbers hung down a little lower. I think the 3, 5, 7, and 9 were like that. Here's an example. What font is that? I thought Garamond but that doesn't seem the same. Thanks!

Apple Garamond. Which is technically different than the other 3 or 4 Garamonds in use.

Here's a free, albeit unofficial version.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 4, 2005
California
Apple Garamond. Which is technically different than the other 3 or 4 Garamonds in use.

Here's a free, albeit unofficial version.

Thanks! It's a little deceptive when seeing the preview on the web page - it doesn't show that some of the numbers hang lower. But that's what I was looking for!

farmboy

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2003
Minnesota
Why would you want to use Apple Garamond? Serif fonts are boring.

Well, because serif fonts *tend* to be easier to read quickly because the letterforms can be more quickly scanned (identified) by the eye than sans, although they suffer in smaller sizes compared to sans. At the time, Apple was using the font to help establish the image of the company as more upscale, hence the more traditional font type--although Garamond wasn't often used by others at the time, so it looked distinct.

Reactions: lepidotós

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Why would you want to use Apple Garamond? Serif fonts are boring.

I say you're boring :)
Apple Garamond was truly beautiful. It took the best things about Garamond and made it feel lighter and more refined (imho, of course). I miss it a lot, especially when I see my old 12" Powerbook with the old-style font. It always looked so elegant compared to whatever generic one they use now (Myriad, or whatever it is). The "Apple font" was part of what made the old machines look so damn classy.

Reactions: lepidotós
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.