Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jamie0003

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Norfolk, UK
I have been looking for an app to replace Skype for years, as it is such a horribly designed and functioned app.

I would love to use FaceTime and Messages for this, as most of the people I regularly contact have a Mac and/or an iPhone.

The problem is, at the moment, for some weird reason, FaceTime is very buggy (crashes a lot) and the most annoying, is that when you switch to a different desktop, the video on your side freezes.

Could anyone with the latest beta tell me which version FaceTime is on, and if it's different from the latest (1.1.1) does it work any differently in this regard? Or, if possible, is there maybe a third party app that will stop FaceTime from freezing the video in this way?

I also wish that you could have a FaceTime call from within messages directly, so you can do text chatting as well as video, but i'm pretty sure Messages does not do this.

jlove385

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
If I remember right, there is a button in the Messages beta to turn your conversation into a FaceTime chat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.