Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cinca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
I had a quick question about the design of the Logitech ultraslim keyboard cover that I was hoping somebody could answer or check my understanding...

One of the frustrating things when using the Apple wireless keyboard is that it's "always on" and if I walk away from the keyboard with my iPad and then use my iPad away from the keyboard the Bluetooth connection still assumes I'm using the keyboard and I don't get the on-screen keyboard. I then need to manually go into settings/Bluetooth/on off and toggle it manually on off as I use/don't use the keyboard. I know there is a big power button on the side of the Bluetooth keyboard but I never easily around my head around the quick press/long hold on/off technique.

One of the criticisms I have read about the Logitech ultraslim keyboard cover was that the power button is underneath and requires a pen or paperclip to toggle on and off.

Should I assume that the solution for this is the same as with the Apple wireless keyboard – I will need to constantly jump in and out of Bluetooth settings to turn Bluetooth on and off on the iPad.

This just seems like such a cumbersome means to activate/deactivate the keyboard. And without an easy on off switch it appears I would be forced to constantly do it in software.

Is this the case? Or is there some other means that I'm not aware to manage the connection between the iPad and a Bluetooth wireless keyboard? I realize having the keyboard auto power off is convenience – but having it assume I always want to be using the keyboard rather than using it occasionally sure seems to make things cumbersome.

Anyone have advice or a tip?

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
I had a quick question about the design of the Logitech ultraslim keyboard cover that I was hoping somebody could answer or check my understanding...

One of the frustrating things when using the Apple wireless keyboard is that it's "always on" and if I walk away from the keyboard with my iPad and then use my iPad away from the keyboard the Bluetooth connection still assumes I'm using the keyboard and I don't get the on-screen keyboard. I then need to manually go into settings/Bluetooth/on off and toggle it manually on off as I use/don't use the keyboard. I know there is a big power button on the side of the Bluetooth keyboard but I never easily around my head around the quick press/long hold on/off technique.

One of the criticisms I have read about the Logitech ultraslim keyboard cover was that the power button is underneath and requires a pen or paperclip to toggle on and off.

Should I assume that the solution for this is the same as with the Apple wireless keyboard – I will need to constantly jump in and out of Bluetooth settings to turn Bluetooth on and off on the iPad.

This just seems like such a cumbersome means to activate/deactivate the keyboard. And without an easy on off switch it appears I would be forced to constantly do it in software.

Is this the case? Or is there some other means that I'm not aware to manage the connection between the iPad and a Bluetooth wireless keyboard? I realize having the keyboard auto power off is convenience – but having it assume I always want to be using the keyboard rather than using it occasionally sure seems to make things cumbersome.

Anyone have advice or a tip?

Seems to work fine for me.

The power switch that you are talking about is not the power switch. It's the Bluetooth connect button and you do not need a paper clip to press it. The actuall power switch is easily accessable and easy to slide On/Off.

So I don't see an issue here.

cinca

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2010
Seems to work fine for me.

The power switch that you are talking about is not the power switch. It's the Bluetooth connect button and you do not need a paper clip to press it. The actuall power switch is easily accessable and easy to slide On/Off.

So I don't see an issue here.

Thanks for the quick reply. You are correct – I was confusing the two. It's nice to know the power is an easy on off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.