Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oxband

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I've been burning a short film to DVD for festivals and I've been using iDVD "one step from movie." Is that good enough? I know there are other programs, but given the fact I have no menu with this short film, I like the simplicity of iDVD.

That said, I'm most interested in quality. Would another program give higher quality?

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I've been burning a short film to DVD for festivals and I've been using iDVD "one step from movie." Is that good enough? I know there are other programs, but given the fact I have no menu with this short film, I like the simplicity of iDVD.

That said, I'm most interested in quality. Would another program give higher quality?

What NLE are you editing with? If you're using FCP, it's better to encode the DVD assets with Compressor first. iDVD's built-in encoder is pretty limited; you get a few quality presets and that's about it.

I would also confirm whether or not DVD is an acceptable format for delivering to your list of festivals. Some won't accept DVD (because it makes programming more difficult for some) and will ask for a DV or Betacam tape.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.