Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before...I did a lot of searching and couldn't find anything.

I have been playing around with FV2 on my iMac the past couple days, and found it an enjoyable experience. I am contemplating enabling it on my Air (2011 13" i5), but have a couple questions first.

1. Will there be a noticeable difference? My iMac is using a platter drive, so I worry the faster throughput of the SSD will get throttled by having to encrypt/decrypt everything. I've read benchmarks, but benchmarks never tell the full story.

2. Will this introduce a lot of wear and tear on my drive? I'm assuming that it won't be any worse after the initial encryption process, but figure I should ask anyway.

3. Will my system run hotter?

4. Will my battery life take a significant hit?

Thanks in advance.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I am using FV2 on my SSD equipped 2011 13" Macbook Pro and I do not notice any slow down at all. I have seen benchmarks that show some slowdown, but I sure do not notice it.

The way FV2 works, I don't see how it would have any impact on SSD life.

I see no difference in heat or battery life after the initial encryption.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks. I'll probably enable it later today. I suppose I can always disable it if I see any problems (at the cost of some wear and tear on the drive, natch).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks. I'll probably enable it later today. I suppose I can always disable it if I see any problems (at the cost of some wear and tear on the drive, natch).

It real easy to turn off if you don't like it, so there really is no risk to trying it out.

Also, be aware it adds a new option on your login screen that allows the system to restart off the recovery partition in a Safari only mode. The idea is if someone steals your computer they would use this option to get on the Internet then you could track them down with Find my Mac. Some people see this new option on the login screen and get a little worried where it came from. :)

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Good to know! Thanks.

EDIT: Just enabled it. The login screen now accepts input only in QWERTY mode. Is there any way to change this?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Good to know! Thanks.

EDIT: Just enabled it. The login screen now accepts input only in QWERTY mode. Is there any way to change this?

I believe the login screen uses the root keyboard and language. What do you have those set to?

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2009
Oh, I can type and transfer between the two just fine. It's just somewhat jarring to have one section of the OS use a different keyboard layout. It's all about consistency, you know?

I did find a potential fix, but the problem is the site's in German. I'll try a translation tool tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.