PDA

View Full Version : NOVA 3: The New iPad's first app hiccup

jabingla2810
May 10, 2012, 04:02 PM
Today NOVA 3 was released, and it sets a new benchmark on what is possible graphically for iOS gaming.

But it's not all good news for the new iPad.

On the iPhone 4s and iPad 2 NOVA 3 is one of the first iOS games to use effects such as depth of field, advanced particle effects and even effects showing heat coming from the end of the gun.

All these effects and more have been taken out of the new iPad version, and one can only assume that this is a compromise to have the game running smooth at the new higher resolution.

There are screen shots in the thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473519

I am not trolling here, I am an owner of the new iPad and love it, but this is the first sign that maybe the A5X isn't quite up to the job of delivering graphics at the new resolution.

I would like the think that these effects will get added in an update, maybe the dev could have the game running at the same resolution as the iPad 2 version with some additional anti aliasing to smooth those jaggies out?

Anyhow, just thought that this seems like a significant point in the story of the latest iPad and worth bringing up.

Redjericho
May 10, 2012, 04:15 PM
Unfortunately, yeah I'm pretty sure you are right. The new iPad just can't handle games of that resolution and quality and still run smooth, and it's going to be a while until any tablet can, though apple probably could release a processor whenever they want that could easily handle it and fit in the iPad, they won't, because it's all about profits, so they stick with incremental upgrades.

master-ceo
May 10, 2012, 04:28 PM
lol And we got the so-called A5X (better graphics than A5?) in our iPad 3ís. This blows.

Batavian
May 10, 2012, 04:29 PM
It does look like a very interesting game though. Nice find.

TheWheelMan
May 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
I wonder if maybe such effects will just have to be coded differently for the higher res display, or in other words, maybe there will have to be an iPad 3rd gen HD edition?

Tinmania
May 10, 2012, 04:40 PM
Well if this is the case I sure hope there is an option to run the iPad 2 version.

I would like to be the one to decide if I want the lower res version, with more bells and whistles, or the retina version.

But don't force the the retina version on me if it has decreased features.

Michael

BFizzzle
May 10, 2012, 05:09 PM
I wonder if maybe such effects will just have to be coded differently for the higher res display, or in other words, maybe there will have to be an iPad 3rd gen HD edition?

i hope so! that really blows.

and the a5x is better than the tegra! pshhh

big samm
May 10, 2012, 06:14 PM
Now I feel like the A5X chip was all marketing...:(

iMacDragon
May 10, 2012, 06:33 PM
Now I feel like the A5X chip was all marketing...:(

it does exactly what they said.. the trouble is, to keep up with ipad 2 quality on retina display would have needed octuple core graphics.

bcam117
May 10, 2012, 06:42 PM
I hope devs learn to better deal with the res and GPU. I don't mind having games at lower res, especially 3d games. I'd rather have nice effects and AA and higher FPS. S

nickn
May 10, 2012, 07:06 PM
There is simply no way devs can create a comparable version of an app on an iPad 3. The iPad 3 has 2x the performance of the iPad 2, but has to drive 4x the pixels. There is no way they will ever been the same, the iPad 2 will always win performance wise. Apple should have included more GPU cores in the A5X to attempt to keep performance the same, but alas they didn't. Hopefully Gameloft will include a slider on newer versions of the app, so users can choose whether they want to load high res iPad 3 graphics, or the lower but better iPad 2 models. Galaxy on Fire 2 already does this with good results for everyone. Also, lets hope they put this on the PSP Vita. That will fly as it has 4 CPU and GPU cores on a much lower res screen. We are really getting to the point where mobile devices are starting to have modern console quality!

sekazi
May 10, 2012, 08:51 PM
I do not see why for 3D games they just do not give a option to play at 1024x768 instead. You will notice a quality drop on a 3D game less than you would a game using artwork especially if they use AA.

Redjericho
May 10, 2012, 09:08 PM
Unfortunately, to those of you asking for the ability to switch between retina graphics and lower res graphics, first of all it isn't possible. It's either all retina for the iPad 3 or all low res, unless they release an entire separate app called like "NOVA 3 SD"

Second of all, it wouldn't make a difference. The iPad 3 is always running the retina display, the processor is always running every pixel, so even if the resolution of the textures was reduced, it would still be the same amount of pixels, and therefore the same amount of processor power would be required (maybe slight less, but not enough to make it worth sacrificing retina graphics)

This is the number one reason I hesitated on buying the iPad 3, and i would have waited for the 4 if I wasn't stuck with the first gen, which was all but unusable.

newone757
May 11, 2012, 01:11 AM
Unfortunately, to those of you asking for the ability to switch between retina graphics and lower res graphics, first of all it isn't possible. It's either all retina for the iPad 3 or all low res, unless they release an entire separate app called like "NOVA 3 SD"

Second of all, it wouldn't make a difference. The iPad 3 is always running the retina display, the processor is always running every pixel, so even if the resolution of the textures was reduced, it would still be the same amount of pixels, and therefore the same amount of processor power would be required (maybe slight less, but not enough to make it worth sacrificing retina graphics)

This is the number one reason I hesitated on buying the iPad 3, and i would have waited for the 4 if I wasn't stuck with the first gen, which was all but unusable.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Galaxy on Fire 2 does it. You have to go and enable retina graphics in the settings.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The iPad is not "always running" all the pixels regardless of content. If something is not full res for the screen it is simply scaled up aka stretched to fit the screen. So, obviously, it doesn't require the the same amount of graphical power to output lower res graphics and stretch the picture to fit the screen than it does to output to full resolution on a 1:1 scale.

gusping
May 11, 2012, 02:09 AM
Stop complaining its a fantastic game! :@@@@

jabingla2810
May 11, 2012, 02:22 AM
Stop complaining its a fantastic game! :@@@@

Nobody is complaining.

We all have iPads, so I think we can all agree that we are all pretty fortunate people.

However, this is just a discussion on a topic thatgot a lot of attention when they first anounced the new iPad.

Is the A5X a big enough upgrade to compensate for the higher resolution?

And for the first time we have some clear evidence that maybe it isn't.

gregrose
May 11, 2012, 02:33 AM
Glad I didn't waste my money on the 3....the 2 is perfect

WeegieMac
May 11, 2012, 02:38 AM
The new iPad has none of the smoke and flame effects on the buildings, for example, but they are present on the iPad 2.

Interesting. I'd happily play the game at iPad 2 resolution on my new iPad to get all the effects, as opposed to a slightly sharper looking game.

MythicFrost
May 11, 2012, 02:42 AM
I've got an iPad 3 and iPad 2, and whilst the 2 does have some nice effects which are left out on the iPad 3, the 3 has a much crisper and sharper image.

The A5X doubled the GPU horsepower available to developers, which is enough for most games to run at native resolution, but some will have to run around 1536x1152.

The game likely looks a lot better at this resolution without those effects than it does at 1536x1152 with them, but the choice would be nice though.

EDIT: I might point out as well that I found the iPad 2 version to lag somewhat, whilst the iPad 3 version doesn't.

Maziar
May 11, 2012, 03:30 AM
Glad I didn't waste my money on the 3....the 2 is perfect

You probably haven't looked at the iPad's display then. It blows away iPad 2.
Anyway,I haven't tried Nova 3 yet,but all the other games I've tested(real racing,infinity blade etc.) run smoothly.

jabingla2810
May 11, 2012, 04:18 AM
You probably haven't looked at the iPad's display then. It blows away iPad 2.
Anyway,I haven't tried Nova 3 yet,but all the other games I've tested(real racing,infinity blade etc.) run smoothly.

I'm glad you've brought up Real Racing 2.

That game now runs at the higher resolution while at the same time keeping and even improving some of the effects. It looks better on the new iPad in every way.

So maybe an update could fix the issues with NOVA 3.

Maybe they were so far into development when the new iPad was announced they haven't had time to optimise for it?

MythicFrost
May 11, 2012, 05:59 AM

That game now runs at the higher resolution while at the same time keeping and even improving some of the effects. It looks better on the new iPad in every way.

So maybe an update could fix the issues with NOVA 3.

Maybe they were so far into development when the new iPad was announced they haven't had time to optimise for it?
There's nothing really to optimise.

There's many different aspects to a game, such as shading, texturing, lighting, etc., and how much additional horsepower needed to compensate for those things when the resolution increases varies, and on top of that the PowerVR SGX543 has its strengths and weaknesses which factor into it as well.

That's why some games like Infinity Blade 2 which are very graphic heavy games, with great lighting and shading, are only able to run at a resolution which is twice the pixels of 1024x768, as the A5X only doubled the GPU horsepower available, while other games such as Real Racing 2 are more lightweight and able to run at 2048x1536 and even with more AA than on the iPad 2.

From what I can tell N.O.V.A 3 is quite a graphically impressive game, so I don't expect those effects will be able to be added in on the iPad 2 later.

I'm very far from an expert on the topic though, so I may be wrong, but I can definitely tell you not to use Real Racing 2 as an example why the effects in N.O.V.A 3 on the iPad 2 might be added to the iPad 3 version, as it's just such a lightweight game.

psonice
May 11, 2012, 08:41 AM
It's a curious move by the devs. They've decided to go for full res, but then drop some of the effects to keep speed up. Wonder why they didn't go for a compromise - render parts at full res, but not increase res on some of the other stuff? (It's not necessary to quadruple res for everything that gets rendered - this is why 2x performance increase is often enough to drive 4x the pixels).

Also, anyone thinking the tegra 3 would have been better is seriously deluded. Tegra 3 was slower than the A5, which is half the speed of the A5x. Just consider how many effects would have been dropped if the iPad 3 had a tegra :D

jabingla2810
May 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
Good video showing the differences.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrcK47fl970

It's more severe than I thought.

Really hope this gets fixed in an update and isn't a sign of things to come.

Skika
May 11, 2012, 09:45 AM
Maybe they could implement 2 modes of running it. A simple switch in the settings where you can have the retina resolution or the better fx.

I think this would be a good solution.

BFizzzle
May 11, 2012, 10:14 AM
You couldn't be more wrong.

Galaxy on Fire 2 does it. You have to go and enable retina graphics in the settings.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The iPad is not "always running" all the pixels regardless of content. If something is not full res for the screen it is simply scaled up aka stretched to fit the screen. So, obviously, it doesn't require the the same amount of graphical power to output lower res graphics and stretch the picture to fit the screen than it does to output to full resolution on a 1:1 scale.

+1
thank you sir
finally someone with a brain.

maybe hes never switched his computer monitor to a lower resolution ;)

nickn
May 11, 2012, 10:46 AM

The reason RR2 looks better on the iPad 3, is because the dev's never really made an iPad 2 version. The game started out designed exclusively for the iPad 1, and its SGX535. After the release of the iPad 2, all they did was add a few extras, such as increasing the anti aliasing, and adding shadows and what not. Then, when the iPad 3 came out, they did a large update, and compiled the app with larger textures, more AA, and other similar massive changes. When you compare the app on your iPad 3 to the same app running on your iPad 2, you are really comparing an iPad 3 app to an iPad 1 app. If there was a "real" iPad 2 compilation, again, the iPad 2 version would win, as its GPU is overall faster for what it does. That is not something anyone can change, as it is a limitation of the iPad 3's GPU itself.

Roy G Biv
May 12, 2012, 12:03 AM
I thought the general thinking was most games--especially the graphic-intensive--would be upscaled on the iPad 3. Is that not the case?

terraphantm
May 12, 2012, 12:27 AM
I thought the general thinking was most games--especially the graphic-intensive--would be upscaled on the iPad 3. Is that not the case?

The issue is that 2048x1536 is a monster of a resolution - even desktop computers struggle with running games at that resolution. The iPad 3's GPU was not upgraded enough to maintain the same performance as the iPad 2 does at 1024x768.

The ideal compromise would be to render the game at 1024x768, but render UI elements and text at the retina resolution.

Mak47
May 12, 2012, 01:20 AM
Judging from the video link, the Retina version is missing some pretty large pieces. I wonder two things...

Could the developer have simply not completed the Retina version in time? Knowing that the majority of users will be buying it on an iPhone or earlier generation iPad, maybe this was a compromise they were willing to make in order to get it launched in a timely manner? If so, I'd imagine we'll se an update.

Is it possible that the developer, knowing the value of early reviews and the volume of people checking out the app when it's brand new, simply pulled those elements to be 100% sure there were no hiccups with playability? While those of us with 3rd gen iPads are the minority in the larger market, it's still a significant number of people. If any of those graphical features made the game lag or caused some problem, it may have incited large numbers of negative reviews all at once. Again, if this is the case, we'll see an update.

Even without those elements in there, the game is stunning to look at. It could be a tradeoff in the end. Hi res, perfect pictures--or shadows and heat waves. There is unquestionably more detail in the Retina version.

PrayForDeath
May 12, 2012, 02:07 AM
They need to run this at 1.4x the iPad 2 res like infinity blade. Problem solved.

nfl46
May 12, 2012, 05:21 AM
Interesting. Maybe the developer will comment on it.

WeegieMac
May 12, 2012, 09:27 AM
Gameloft have confirmed, via CNET, that the upcoming update to NOVA 3 will give new iPad owners the option to play the game at iPad 2 resolution with all effects, or at Retina Display resolution, but not both at the same time (obviously).

"In a statement, Gameloft said it plans to add an option in an upcoming update that lets users pick whether they want to use the third-generation iPad's resolution, or switch down to a lower resolution to view the extra effects.

"Those who play N.O.V.A. 3 Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance on the newest iPad will be able to choose between the Retina resolution or Motion Blur and Particles effects in the next update," the company told CNET. "Both options can unfortunately not run together."

In the meantime, game enthusiasts are unlikely to care too much about missing these bits of eye candy, considering the core gameplay is the same. However, this does illustrate one of the potential drawbacks of running games at these resolutions. PC gamers have run into similar trade-offs for years, but those games often offer the option to toggle various processing effects, and pick different resolutions, to find a happy medium. In the iPad's case, there's simplicity in that end users don't have to make those kind of choices."

Full comparison and confirmation of the update by GameLoft can be found here (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57432267-1/does-n.o.v.a-3-actually-look-better-on-the-old-ipad/), if people really want a link as proof.

hasanahmad
May 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
If apple wanted particle affects at that resolution they should have made the cpu quad core as well

Manta-X
May 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
If apple wanted particle affects at that resolution they should have made the cpu quad core as well

Exactly. Good movement by Gameloft indeed.

nfl46
May 12, 2012, 10:35 AM

You know Apple purposely leaves something out for the new iPad (2013) since it will probably be an internal only update. But, it would had made sense to include it in this update.

Tom8
May 13, 2012, 08:36 AM
Here's a genuine question that I assume someone will be able to answer for me.

Could the present generation of home consoles i.e PS3, 360 & Wii run something like Nova 3 at the iPad 3's resolution and also has the particle effects & motion blur? My guess would be the Wii couldn't, but I don't know about the 360 & PS3?

ReallyBigFeet
May 13, 2012, 09:16 AM
Anyone that thinks a game released 1 month after the intro of the hardware is indicative of "the final verdict" is clueless.

Look at your history. Educate yourself. You sound utterly naive and short-sighted.

Menge
May 13, 2012, 09:21 AM

You do realize that rendering particles at a higher resolution doesn't use more CPU, right? It does use more GPU, which was upgraded...

Particles use a fixed amount of CPU at any resolution. What would change the amount of CPU is having MORE particles.

That being said, the iPad's GPU probably can't handle the fill rate needed for so much overlapping of particles and post processing at such high resolution.

Hoggles
May 13, 2012, 01:55 PM
I'll GLADLY sacrifice some particle effects and depth of field, for the gorgeous 2048X1536 resolution.... Nova3 is incredible looking.

People who know....know that at that resolution...you have to give up some effects. Same as a PC...you want all eye candy AND resoluion....you need to spend about $600 on just your graphics card...not to mention memory, CPU ...etc etc.

Gameloft did a great job with Nova3.

newone757
May 13, 2012, 04:46 PM
All I want is the particle effects. They can keep the blur. What is the point in outputting at retina display if you are just gonna blur the detail anyway

jabingla2810
May 13, 2012, 05:20 PM
All I want is the particle effects. They can keep the blur. What is the point in outputting at retina display if you are just gonna blur the detail anyway

It's not blur. It's depth of field, and it looks great.

I'm happy they are at least going to give us choice.

MythicFrost
May 13, 2012, 08:22 PM
The issue is that 2048x1536 is a monster of a resolution - even desktop computers struggle with running games at that resolution. The iPad 3's GPU was not upgraded enough to maintain the same performance as the iPad 2 does at 1024x768.

The ideal compromise would be to render the game at 1024x768, but render UI elements and text at the retina resolution.
Rendering the game at 1536x1152 would be sufficient for heavy titles like Infinity Blade 2, but for most games, such as N.O.V.A 3, Modern Combat 3, Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy, 2048x1536 or very near to it is fine.

terraphantm
May 13, 2012, 09:10 PM
Rendering the game at 1536x1152 would be sufficient for heavy titles like Infinity Blade 2, but for most games, such as N.O.V.A 3, Modern Combat 3, Sky Gamblers: Air Supremacy, 2048x1536 or very near to it is fine.

Apparently rendering NOVA3 at 2048x1536 is not fine since they have to disable various effects.

MythicFrost
May 13, 2012, 10:45 PM
Apparently rendering NOVA3 at 2048x1536 is not fine since they have to disable various effects.
They disabled a few little effect yes, but the game is still able to render at 2048x1536 without them. From my brief experience anyway, it runs smoother on the iPad 3 than the iPad 2.

terraphantm
May 13, 2012, 11:34 PM
They disabled a few little effect yes, but the game is still able to render at 2048x1536 without them. From my brief experience anyway, it runs smoother on the iPad 3 than the iPad 2.

Right, but it only runs smoother because they disabled those effects. So clearly the iPad 3 has some trouble driving apps at the highest quality level at its native resolution. It is also worth noting that if they disabled the effects on the iPad 2 as well, it would run *even* smoother on there.

newone757
May 14, 2012, 01:08 AM
It's not blur. It's depth of field, and it looks great.

I'm happy they are at least going to give us choice.

DoF is basically selective blurring. So what was your point?

Skika
May 14, 2012, 01:10 AM
I'll GLADLY sacrifice some particle effects and depth of field, for the gorgeous 2048X1536 resolution.... Nova3 is incredible looking.

People who know....know that at that resolution...you have to give up some effects. Same as a PC...you want all eye candy AND resoluion....you need to spend about $600 on just your graphics card...not to mention memory, CPU ...etc etc.

Gameloft did a great job with Nova3.

Sup Gameloft dev.

Manta-X
May 14, 2012, 01:42 AM
Blur is overused in console gaming for hiding hardware limitations. I like deph of field a lot but others don't so it would be great to have a choice.

MythicFrost
May 14, 2012, 02:34 AM
Right, but it only runs smoother because they disabled those effects. So clearly the iPad 3 has some trouble driving apps at the highest quality level at its native resolution. It is also worth noting that if they disabled the effects on the iPad 2 as well, it would run *even* smoother on there.
Of course, for most high end games (or certain high end effects) the iPad 3's SGX543MP4 won't be enough to run it at the same frame rate at 2048x1536 as the iPad 2's MP2 at 1024x768. But it does pretty well. They have had to make a few sacrifices but still the game looks great and imo the crispness outweighs the lack of effects.

jabingla2810
May 14, 2012, 02:52 AM
DoF is basically selective blurring. So what was your point?

My point is that depth of field is a really advanced cool looking effect, and while it's included in the iPad 2 version, it's not in the latest iPad version.

it's not simply "selective blurring", it's a technique developers use to enhance the experience.

It adds scale, it helps provide focus to the player and it adds a movie like quality to the visuals. It's not just blurring bits of the screen, it's calculating what should be in focus and out of focus, and by exactly how much, against a variety of different criteria for a variety of different reasons.

----------

Of course, for most high end games (or certain high end effects) the iPad 3's SGX543MP4 won't be enough to run it at the same frame rate at 2048x1536 as the iPad 2's MP2 at 1024x768. But it does pretty well. They have had to make a few sacrifices but still the game looks great and imo the crispness outweighs the lack of effects.

See for me, the effects outweigh the higher resolution. So I'm happy they are giving us a choice.

Tinmania
May 14, 2012, 11:47 AM

Thought the above would look good compared to this:

Gameloft have confirmed, via CNET, that the upcoming update to NOVA 3 will give new iPad owners the option to play the game at iPad 2 resolution with all effects, or at Retina Display resolution, but not both at the same time (obviously).

"In a statement, Gameloft said it plans to add an option in an upcoming update that lets users pick whether they want to use the third-generation iPad's resolution, or switch down to a lower resolution to view the extra effects.

"Those who play N.O.V.A. 3 Near Orbit Vanguard Alliance on the newest iPad will be able to choose between the Retina resolution or Motion Blur and Particles effects in the next update," the company told CNET. "Both options can unfortunately not run together."

In the meantime, game enthusiasts are unlikely to care too much about missing these bits of eye candy, considering the core gameplay is the same. However, this does illustrate one of the potential drawbacks of running games at these resolutions. PC gamers have run into similar trade-offs for years, but those games often offer the option to toggle various processing effects, and pick different resolutions, to find a happy medium. In the iPad's case, there's simplicity in that end users don't have to make those kind of choices."

Full comparison and confirmation of the update by GameLoft can be found here (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57432267-1/does-n.o.v.a-3-actually-look-better-on-the-old-ipad/), if people really want a link as proof.

:D

Michael

dancj
May 14, 2012, 04:05 PM
My point is that depth of field is a really advanced cool looking effect, and while it's included in the iPad 2 version, it's not in the latest iPad version.

it's not simply "selective blurring", it's a technique developers use to enhance the experience.

It adds scale, it helps provide focus to the player and it adds a movie like quality to the visuals. It's not just blurring bits of the screen, it's calculating what should be in focus and out of focus, and by exactly how much, against a variety of different criteria for a variety of different reasons.

----------

See for me, the effects outweigh the higher resolution. So I'm happy they are giving us a choice.
I've got nothing against depth of field, but you just described selective blurring. Sure it's clever selective blurring done in a way that enhances gameplay, but it's still selective blurring.

newone757
May 14, 2012, 09:24 PM
I've got nothing against depth of field, but you just described selective blurring. Sure it's clever selective blurring done in a way that enhances gameplay, but it's still selective blurring.

Lol thank you . I'm not trying to downplay DoF. But essentially it is selective blurry. Oversimplified, I know, but still.

Anyways I still say they can keep the DoF. It is unrealistic in NOVA 3. Instead of foreground or background being focused they use it like a vignette, blurring only the edges (in some scenes), regardless of foreground/background composition. I don't know about your eyes, but that has never happened to me. That type of effect is typically seen through a camera lens, not regular human eyes, and looks more like motion blurring (like tunnel vision) than DoF when applied like that

heavensblade23
May 14, 2012, 10:31 PM
I wouldn't say the iPad's GPU is underpowered for the new resolution. It's more that games like this are the slimmest of edge cases. 99.999999% of the apps on the store will run at the higher resolution without compromises because they weren't that graphically demanding to begin with.

jonnyb098
May 15, 2012, 03:20 PM
Is this really that surprising to everyone? The minute they announced the A5X chip it was obvious that it was just about the chip being able to push 3 million pixels around.

This is already hard enough to do on modern desktop computers let alone a mobile device. The doubling of graphics power for 4x the amount of pixels was a bit laughable. But I'm sure since only a handful of games are actually "hardcore" games Apple didn't care about a performance hit on a couple of games.

As usual , smart marketing!

Skika
May 17, 2012, 03:04 AM
I am not that tech wise, but shouldn't the new iPad give even better graphics when running in non-retina mode?

gorskiegangsta
May 20, 2012, 06:34 PM
lol And we got the so-called A5X (better graphics than A5?) in our iPad 3ís. This blows.
You can't compare performance of GPUs at vastly different rendering resolutions. It's like saying that a V4 engine strapped to a small car is more powerful than a V12 strapped to a tank because the car moves faster than the tank.

i hope so! that really blows.

and the a5x is better than the tegra! pshhh
The A5X is more powerful than Tegra 3. I'd like to see Tegra 3 so much as power the likes of iPad's retina display, much less be able to run full 3d games on it.

Hemlock.47
May 20, 2012, 06:59 PM
A resolution like 2048x1536 is not a matter of joke to propel. It 's high time you iPad2 users who are making themselves feel better by saying things like 'Thank God i stuck to my Ipad 2' or 'My iPad2 is better' realize that.

Even the top Desktop GPUs get scared speaking of that resolution, let alone the A5x. It was always obvious that what the A5 can propel in the 4S's 960*640 / iPad 2 's mere 1024*768 display can 't be pulled off by the A5x in 2048*1536, you would need a far more powerful GPU for that.

Smooth gameplay at 1024*768 requires a 8800 in the desktop, whereas similar eyecandy and framerates at 1920*1080 brings a GTX580 to it 's knees. Got that? It 's not like, dumping a GPU twice as powerful at the heart of the core will do away with resolutions twice as big. They had to give in the best they had at present, which they did. And even with this insufficient horsepower, the battery falls short even after making it 3x as big in terms of capacity.

iEvolution
May 20, 2012, 10:01 PM
Well in theory, the A5X processor should blow the ipad 2 away at the same resolution, so really the ipad 3 is still the more powerful ipad.

Besides ipad 3 is in its infancy, Apple can still improve upon it with firmware/software updates.

elmz
Jun 22, 2012, 03:28 PM
Welp! I downloaded the updated NOVA 3 and it was not noticeably faster in lower resolution. I was expecting it to run much more smoothly, but I was wrong. But man, what a difference in picture quality, lower resolution looks like poop. Either this updated version needs to be optimized or maybe I downloaded a bad copy. Either way, the slight bump in fps is not worth the loss in picture quality.

mouthster
Jun 22, 2012, 07:41 PM
Welp! I downloaded the updated NOVA 3 and it was not noticeably faster in lower resolution. I was expecting it to run much more smoothly, but I was wrong. But man, what a difference in picture quality, lower resolution looks like poop. Either this updated version needs to be optimized or maybe I downloaded a bad copy. Either way, the slight bump in fps is not worth the loss in picture quality.

how would that even happen?