PDA

View Full Version : FCP + Green Screen = ?

Rower_CPU
Oct 31, 2002, 01:18 PM
Allright FCPers, I've got another question/request for help.

We did a recent shoot on green screen at work and we're starting to edit in FCP. The footage is all pretty good, lighting seems to be OK, green screen is painted onto wall so it's evenly lit with no wrinkles, etc.

I've tried several different methods for keying out the green: Blue & Green screen, Color key, Chroma key, Difference key. I'm not happy with the results on any of them. Premiere used to key out much better (at least in version 5, the last time I used it).

What are your recommendations for using the built in filters? What other apps work better (AE, etc.)?

I don't want to have to buy an expensive plugin like Ultimatte....

Mr. Anderson
Oct 31, 2002, 02:44 PM
Ah, that sucks. I've not tried chromakey with FCP yet. Have you tried running a filter on the original footage to help clean up the image, adjusting colors so that the green is uniform?

Let me know what you end up doing. Good luck.

D

teabgs
Oct 31, 2002, 08:23 PM
It would help if we could see the results....The color key should work well.....

Also, after doing that playing with the color correction might do some good.

Can we see a before screenshot please?

Rower_CPU
Oct 31, 2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by teabgs
It would help if we could see the results....The color key should work well.....

Also, after doing that playing with the color correction might do some good.

Can we see a before screenshot please?

I'll post some shots from work tomorrow. :)

748s
Nov 1, 2002, 01:17 AM
in an ideal world shoot your green screen stuff on digibeta or spbetacam. any video that gets captured by anything other then sdi or component is going to be difficult to key. i used AE [production bundle] a lot for keying, but that was with stuff captured component.
even with AE, dv or anything captured by y/c is hard to key especially around hair. using garbage mattes with dv can multiply the problems. there is a good tutorial for green screen keys at
http://www.lafcpug.org/chroma_key_part_1.html
i haven't had to key anything yet with fcp/dv. not looking forward to it.

Rower_CPU
Nov 1, 2002, 12:49 PM
OK, here's some footage...

http://homepage.mac.com/robin_martin/green.mov

It's a 5 second or so clip, DV format...17.4 MB

P-Worm
Nov 2, 2002, 12:26 PM
That looks like good footage to me. I'm going to try and screen it with FCP and send you the results. Be back in a while.

P-Worm

teabgs
Nov 2, 2002, 12:38 PM
heres a still, with Green Screen.....you could mess with it more to make it look nicer....but it should work fine....

level 100 tolerence 69 thin 90 feather 1

Rower_CPU
Nov 2, 2002, 01:19 PM
heres a still, with Green Screen.....you could mess with it more to make it look nicer....but it should work fine....

level 100 tolerence 69 thin 90 feather 1

That's not bad...the spill suppressor would get rid of the little bit of green on her.

So that's the Blue and Green Screen filter, right?

teabgs
Nov 2, 2002, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU

That's not bad...the spill suppressor would get rid of the little bit of green on her.

So that's the Blue and Green Screen filter, right?

yup....set to green.

Hope it helps you out!

P-Worm
Nov 2, 2002, 02:47 PM
I messed around with it and find it to be a fairly good screen. A good idea is to change the screen to Source,Matte,Final so you can see all three at one time. Your goal is to get the mattestraight black and white with no "spots" on either. Make sure ou tone the edge feather down first so you can clearely see where the edges are and then put it up to taste after. The spill supressor is a great filter that will eliminate some of the green on her hair and face. If you have time and a BLUE screen available try that. I don't how that will turn out, but blue and green both have their ups and downs. If you are using FCP3, try the color correction tool to help you eliminate some green. I'm on 2 so I acn't try it myself. Anyway, good luck!

P-Worm

Rower_CPU
Nov 2, 2002, 02:54 PM
Here's a quick version, based on teabgs' settings.

http://homepage.mac.com/robin_martin/green_test.mp4

No color correction, yet...I'll work on that next week. :)

P-Worm
Nov 2, 2002, 03:36 PM
Hmm...the download didn't work could you make the clip again?

P-Worm

teabgs
Nov 2, 2002, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Here's a quick version, based on teabgs' settings.

http://homepage.mac.com/robin_martin/green_test.mp4

No color correction, yet...I'll work on that next week. :)

look pretty good so far.....Color correction should help a bit

Imhotep397
Nov 2, 2002, 04:31 PM
Even though this won't really help now you may want to consider in the future moving your subject a little further from the screen, if possible and you may even want to use a slightly yellow kicker light behind the subject in addition to your rim. The yellow should help to eliminate some of the green spill. But for now I think the color correction before keying is probably the only solution now.

Later,
Butch

Rower_CPU
Nov 2, 2002, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm
Hmm...the download didn't work could you make the clip again?

P-Worm

You need Quicktime 6 since it's an MPEG4 clip. Try a right click and "save as...".

Originally posted by Imhotep397
Even though this won't really help now you may want to consider in the future moving your subject a little further from the screen, if possible and you may even want to use a slightly yellow kicker light behind the subject in addition to your rim. The yellow should help to eliminate some of the green spill. But for now I think the color correction before keying is probably the only solution now.

The subject was about 10-15 feet away from the screen, as far as we could get considering the studio's dimensions, so I'm not sure that would help. The colored backlight would have been good.

teabgs
Nov 2, 2002, 05:29 PM
the blue suit might not help that much either.....if it were red, it'd be easier...

Rower_CPU
Nov 2, 2002, 05:35 PM
the blue suit might not help that much either.....if it were red, it'd be easier...

We actually have about 12 different people to do this on. Wardrobe ranges from beige to bright red/fuschia. Every single person is going to require slightly different settings. We also shot on two cameras simultaneously, the tight shot you guys see here, and a wide shot. There will be slight differences between those two as well.

We have about 4 hours of tape from each camera, and we're trying to get about 60-90 seconds from each person.

Looks like my colleagues and I will be busy for quite a while...:}

jelloshotsrule
Nov 2, 2002, 08:00 PM
weird. i'm getting this error when opening the clip..... hmm

Rower_CPU
Nov 2, 2002, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

That's weird...it's just a standard MPEG4 w/out the audio track. I'll try some different settings and repost it later.

Oh yeah, what version of QT you guys using? They were created w/ 6.0.2

jelloshotsrule
Nov 2, 2002, 08:31 PM
six oh deuce here too

RBMaraman
Nov 2, 2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

I get the same error. I'm using 6.0.2 Pro. It's weird. I've never gotten this error with other .MP4 files.

Rower_CPU
Nov 2, 2002, 10:08 PM
OK...check this out.

When I play the clip on my machine after exporting it it goes fine, but after I upload it to my iDisk and download it to watch it, I get the same message.

I'm going to play around with settings and see what happens. I would normally put it up on my server at work, but it's flaky right now and won't let me connect via AppleTalk.

Rower_CPU
Nov 2, 2002, 10:19 PM
OK, here's the clip again, this time Sorenson 3:

http://homepage.mac.com/robin_martin/green_test.mov

The only think I can think is that the browser was somehow messing it up. Mozilla handles the MP4 in the browser, but Chimera/Navigator downloads it to the machine.

You can still use the old link and save yourselves a couple hundred KB if you use something other than Chimera.

jelloshotsrule
Nov 3, 2002, 09:18 AM
it's really just her hand that's killing it...

i guess i was scrutinizing too much when i did my attempt. figured the hand needed to be better. it's so quick though that it doesn't really matter... lookin good brah.

Rower_CPU
Nov 3, 2002, 12:15 PM
Yeah, the quick motion of her wave is the toughest part.

I don't think we have anyone else doing anything that quickly in the rest of the footage...at least, I hope so. :p