Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brianus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I was browsing the Apple Store today and added the 30" Cinema Display to my cart -- not that I intended to buy; I just wanted to see if it had any 'options' -- and I noticed they put the Mac Mini in the 'accessories' for this product. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but there's no way the Mini could be used with a 30" display, right? Its card is not one of the 3 the Apple site lists as being compatible with the 30". That kinda almost counts as a deception, doesn't it?

But it got me to thinking -- if there ever is an update, is there any chance they would upgrade to a card that CAN run the 30" display, or are they all just too high-end and expensive?

And failing that, is the card in the mini replaceable, and would it even fit one of them high-faultin' cards?

(And yes, I realize the Mini and the 30" display are intended for vastly different kinds of users. In my situation, though, I would love to get the huge display eventually -- preferably before I replace whatever my next system will be -- but the PowerMac is way overpowered for my needs and I couldn't justify such a massive expense just so it could run an already extremely expensive display. The 30"+a mini would thus be preferred configuration, were it possible).

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
There is no way to make the Mac Mini power the 30 inch display. The graphics card is also non-upgradeable, so if you get the Mini your stuck with the graphics card that it comes with.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Good thing u didn't buy it!! When theres the option to buy a iMac g5 (a 20 inch), you can save a heck of a lot of money and get a lot more performance..Don't want to discourage you, but a 30 inch screen would be awesome, but why not go for an all-in-one, when you say the powermac is too much power?

oober_freak

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2005
Indian Ocean
mmm... does that point towards a graphics card update for mac mini soon??? does the 9600 support the resolution that the 30 inch beauty offers?

don't tell me we're gonna see a g5 mac mini with nvidia 6800gt :eek:

:p

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
It would be nice, but alas, no.

A good point to make is that currently, no video card able to power the 10: would even fit in the mini's enclosure.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
presentation mode. the 30" display supports 1280x800 presentation mode which looks just as good as full-res cause, well, it's half the pixel dimensions. but why the hell would you use a $500 computer with a $3000 monitor...?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
homerjward said:
presentation mode. the 30" display supports 1280x800 presentation mode which looks just as good as full-res cause, well, it's half the pixel dimensions. but why the hell would you use a $500 computer with a $3000 monitor...?
Excellent post. The Mac mini can drive the 30" display at 1280x800.

I suppose you would use a $500 computer with a $3000 monitor because you could . . . of course a much better option would be to go to Micro Center and get one of those 30" LCD TVs with 1280x768 native resolution for $800.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2004
that seems wierd to me buy a 30" monitor to be a mac mini pimp lol I would say scale it back to a 20" and get the mac mini, or better yet just get a 17" powerbook max out the ram and be a real boss

chris ;) (do what makes you happy but the mini won't work with the 30")

brianus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
homerjward said:

Already covered that. Cost! Want the big monitor, don't need the souped-up computer. Besides, I'm not just looking for size, but resolution as well. I'm the kind of user who regularly has like 30 windows open (plus Stickies), and I'm getting sick of having to constantly command-tab between them. And since they're usually just documents of some kind or Finder windows, they all kinda look the same in Expose, so that's not much help. It'd be great to be able to see everything (or close to everything) on the screen all at once. I have a 19" monitor at work running at I think 1300xsomething and it's just not enough anymore. I could run it at a slightly higher resolution but the tiny type does a number on my eyes. As a stopgap I might try to steal my coworker's old monitor once he upgrades to an LCD and have a dual monitor setup, but I don't consider that ideal, and I'd really love to have an all-in-one thing at home...

Good thing u didn't buy it!! When theres the option to buy a iMac g5 (a 20 inch), you can save a heck of a lot of money and get a lot more performance..Don't want to discourage you, but a 30 inch screen would be awesome, but why not go for an all-in-one, when you say the powermac is too much power?

Oh I'm not thinking of getting the 30" immediately -- not before I move to a new place where I can actually fit it (which I plan on doing sometime in the next two years)! I will be purchasing a Mini in the near future and using it with an existing 17" monitor, KVM'd to my PC (I did seriously consider the iMac 20" but I simply have no place to put yet another monitor at present. The mini will fit anywhere, so it's perfect for my at present very limited setup). That said, I want the option of getting a massive LCD at some point in the future when I do have the space -- without having to buy a completely new (and equally expensive) computer just to drive the thing.

A good point to make is that currently, no video card able to power the 10: would even fit in the mini's enclosure.

Yeah, why is that? Plus, all the cards I've seen pics of seem to have two DVI ports. I don't understand why they can't make a card with only one port that's still capable of running the 30". I mean if they can do it for the two smaller ones...

I really like how a computer was an accessory..

Yeah.. woulda been nice, too! Oh well. When the 30-inchers came out they said you HAD to have a particular NVidia card to run it and it was an expensive upgrade option on the PowerMac G5. Now, there's at least 4 cards to choose from, one of which is installed by default in the G5, and another that works with the PowerBook. So if things keep going this way, maybe in another year all Macs will be able to run the 30", just as they can run Apple's other displays..? Unfortunately, by then I will probably have bit the bullet and bought a Mac anyway.

punkbass25

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
brianus said:
Yeah, why is that? Plus, all the cards I've seen pics of seem to have two DVI ports. I don't understand why they can't make a card with only one port that's still capable of running the 30". I mean if they can do it for the two smaller ones...

in order to run the thirty you need an extremely powerful card, these "dual link DVI" cards generate MASSIVE amounts of heat, if you look it only acutally uses ONE pci slot, but it occupies the space of two cards because it has its own heatsink and fan to cool that sucker off.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
punkbass25 said:
in order to run the thirty you need an extremely powerful card, these "dual link DVI" cards generate MASSIVE amounts of heat, if you look it only acutally uses ONE pci slot, but it occupies the space of two cards because it has its own heatsink and fan to cool that sucker off.

That's not entirely true. The dual link dvi cards that are out there are huge because they're huge powerful cards. It'd be perfectly possible for a manufacturer to release a low end card with dual link out. All it needs is the signalling chips and circuitry.
By Apple having only the top spec most expensive cards support dual link means anyone that wants to have a 30" Apple display has to fork out the extra $600 odd for a graphics card that has more 3d grunt than a lot of designers and editors would use!

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Spanky Deluxe said:
By Apple having only the top spec most expensive cards support dual link means anyone that wants to have a 30" Apple display has to fork out the extra $600 odd for a graphics card that has more 3d grunt than a lot of designers and editors would use!
. . . with the exception of the Radeon 9650, which is not even as good as the dual-link graphics card available in the 15" PowerBook and standard on the 17" PowerBook. The 9650 is weaker than my 9600XT.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.