Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Hello everyone.

I know many people here will jump to defend iOS and ask why I have posted this in the iPhone section. Unfortunately there isn't an "Other Mobile" section and I am a Mac user, this is why I'm posting here.

A little about myself, I've been a Mac user since 2003, I have been part of this forum since 2004 before the iPhone boom. I am not an Apple fan. I use the Apple products I use because they are the best, if they stop being the best, I'll take my money elsewhere.

I have owned every iPhone since the first one, up until the 4S. It was always the best until recently.

2 years ago, due to work overload, I required a second mobile line, so I purchased the Nexus S to use alongside my iPhone. It was just okay, I enjoyed my iPhone much more than the Nexus S.

In December last year I purchased the Galaxy Nexus as my second phone to use alongside my iPhone 4S. After experiencing Ice Cream Sandwich, I thought to myself "wow, this is almost as good as the iOS experience".

Finally, I tried out the HTC One X 3 weeks ago and it has (in my opinion) exceeded the iOS experience entirely. It has an amazing display, decent battery life (contrary to what some reviews say), snappy processor. The build quality is phenomenal! It's plastic, but it's not "plasticy".

I have replaced my 4S with it. For the first time in 4 years I have become iOS free.

What Android has done for me is free me up from the locked down iOS system. Android is like a Jailbroken iOS device, but it's official.

Anyway, I'm still a Mac user and I do not anticipate moving to any other operating system because nothing comes close. (Maybe if the day comes when we have to jailbreak our Macs :p )

It would be nice if MacRumors can make a non iPhone section to accomodate all the dedicated Mac users who decide to use something else with their Mac.

:)

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
Hello everyone.

I know many people here will jump to defend iOS and ask why I have posted this in the iPhone section. Unfortunately there isn't an "Other Mobile" section and I am a Mac user, this is why I'm posting here.

A little about myself, I've been a Mac user since 2003, I have been part of this forum since 2004 before the iPhone boom. I am not an Apple fan. I use the Apple products I use because they are the best, if they stop being the best, I'll take my money elsewhere.

I have owned every iPhone since the first one, up until the 4S. It was always the best until recently.

2 years ago, due to work overload, I required a second mobile line, so I purchased the Nexus S to use alongside my iPhone. It was just okay, I enjoyed my iPhone much more than the Nexus S.

In December last year I purchased the Galaxy Nexus as my second phone to use alongside my iPhone 4S. After experiencing Ice Cream Sandwich, I thought to myself "wow, this is almost as good as the iOS experience".

Finally, I tried out the HTC One X 3 weeks ago and it has (in my opinion) exceeded the iOS experience entirely. It has an amazing display, decent battery life (contrary to what some reviews say), snappy processor. The build quality is phenomenal! It's plastic, but it's not "plasticy".

I have replaced my 4S with it. For the first time in 4 years I have become iOS free.

What Android has done for me is free me up from the locked down iOS system. Android is like a Jailbroken iOS device, but it's official.

Anyway, I'm still a Mac user and I do not anticipate moving to any other operating system because nothing comes close. (Maybe if the day comes when we have to jailbreak our Macs :p )

It would be nice if MacRumors can make a non iPhone section to accomodate all the dedicated Mac users who decide to use something else with their Mac.

Better yet you could have just posted this in the currently 20 page One X thread.

cardinalryan

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
Hello everyone.

Congrats on the switch, you will love the One X. Welcome to the growing group of Mac users who have abandoned the iPhone for greater technology.

raam89

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
The Golden state
I have had iPhone 4 since its launch and was blown away by initial impressions of the HTC one X(hox ). I was so impressed that I went ahead and bought the intl version for full price, rather than waiting for the att version. But within a week, I put it on craigslist and sold it a couple of days ago ( it took me about 2 weeks to sell the phone ) I am disappointed that I had to sell it off but I could not just stand the numerous issues I had with the phone.

1. Constant crashes and reboots- There was a time when I saw the phone sitting on the table just restarted itself 3 times. Shipping with such a buggy software, to me, is just unacceptable!
2.Multitasking - The way multitasking is handled in hox is definitely not right. The applications are not suspended in the background. When you switch and come back, the app is launched again.
3.Bluetooth - Here's the scenario: I have my big music library in the iphone and I keep all the radios(on my iPhone) on all the time. So when I start my car, it automatically connects to the car's Bluetooth and starts playing music. Unless i close my music app going to the app switcher, it always picks the song from where I left off. So smooth and seamless integration. It just works . When I got my hox, I got the google music uploader and synced my itunes library to gmusic. Now I use my hox to play the music, expect that it doesn't connect automatically. When I tried to connect manually by selecting 'connect' from the car, "portable player could not be connected" ! I had to stop, configure the Bluetooth connection again. This happened about 10 times during my brief stint with the phone.
4.shipped software and update- This may be kinda my fault buying from Negri electronics. The intial batch of white hox shipped in US were mostly from malaysia, not the european version. They were shipped with x.19.xxx version while others had x.28.xx ota. 19, 25,26,28.. why so many different version of what is supposed to be the same version of OS shipped. Not to mention, the phone had a load of crapware from some malaysian carrier. It was unlocked though! The x.19.xxx version was never updated. I would not have cared so much about it if it weren't for the random reboots, crashes and the crappy battery life. My 2 year old iphone 4 has 1.5 times better battery life that this phone. I cannot update the OS myself, cos unlocking bootloader would void warranty. It is htc's job to ship with a less buggy OS; i don't have to rely on xda forums to update this thing myself.
5.smoothness and transitions of the OS I hate to say this, but android still has a long way to go in terms of smoothness and fluidity of the OS. I am not going to go in to specifics here, but it is a bitter truth.In terms of smoothness and graphics, iOS is the best, wp7.5 comes next and then is the android.
5.Sense yes. In spite of the tone down, sense is still a resource hog. one small example: click on a folder on the home screen; note the lag between your click and the opening of the folder. Now install a third party launcher and see how fast the folder opens. This may be nit-picking but stock android is so much better!

all this being said, the plethora of google apps were great! maps, currents , reader, google + ... Android is feature rich. This is why I have always wanted to own an android device. But the OEMs keep disappointing me.
some +'s in hox: stunning display, beautiful design(although they screwed up the back camera ,imho ) and awesome camera app/features.

I hope Apple comes up with a 4 inch display this year and sticks to it. For people who want 3.5" , they can get 4s. I'll upgrade to the iPhone 5, skip the 5s , and then get the 6.... I'm too much set in iOS ways and it fits my needs best. I realized this when I went to try android for a couple of weeks :D

amps

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2009
Sometimes new is better. I'm back to 4S after 6+ months with the sgs2 and happy to be back. Forgot how well some things work on this platform. Enjoy your phone and check out XDA as they have a dedicated forum for you.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Congrats, all comes down to what you prefer, can't go wrong either way. Love my GS2.

I agree, there really needs to be a sub forum for "other phone talk", every forum from cars to business I'm on has that, not off topic, but a sub for competitors etc. Been brought up so many times on here, why they don't do it is beyond me :rolleyes:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Android is like a Jailbroken iOS device, but it's official.
As an ex-Android user I'd agree with that as a one line comparison. You still have to deal with rooting and locked bootloaders on some Android devices though.

Maverick713

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Houston, TX
Hello everyone.

For dinner I made pasta with sauce for me and my son, we both enjoyed it. I than put my younger son to bed as it is getting late.

You feel the need to to tell me about your phone experience I'm telling you what I made for dinner. This is not facebook.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
For dinner I made pasta with sauce for me and my son, we both enjoyed it. I than put my younger son to bed as it is getting late.

You feel the need to to tell me about your phone experience I'm telling you what I made for dinner. This is not facebook.

GO TROLL ELSEWHERE!!! God I can't stand people like you. The OP is simply sharing his experience which is the purpose of an online community. Sarcastic posts like yours just take away from everything.

Don't play moderator. Obviously they don't have an issue with his post.

Force332

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011

You seriously think someone telling us about their phone experience in this type of forum is the same thing as you telling us about your dinner? Seriously?

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012

I have done the same thing only with a Samsung, although I was never locked down due to jailbreaks. I just got tired of playing cat and mouse with Apple and my phone.

I am not iOS free though. I still utilize the iPad, jailbroken of course, because it is the tablet on the market. The tf300t by Asus looks pretty good though!

And I also wish Macrumors would make a non-iphone sub-forum. A lot of us want to use this forum, regardless of the phone we use.

steve31

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
Edmonton Canada
It's a great phone. I have always had both a iPhone and a android phone (htc one x and gnote right now). I also have a international HOX and love it. I switch back and forth often. Best of both worlds.:) Be sure to grab the leaked "flipboard apk". It's great on the bigger screen.

Last edited:

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
It's a great phone. I have always had both a iPhone and a android phone (htc one x and gnote right now). I also have a international HOX and love it. I switch back and forth often. Best of both worlds.:) Be sure to grab the leaked "flipboard apk". It's great on the bigger screen.

Flipboard is pretty good. Google Currents isn't that bad either, but far less eye candy.

Congrats on the switch, you will love the One X. Welcome to the growing group of Mac users who have abandoned the iPhone for greater technology.

Ouch. Ice Cream Sandwich has seriously upped Android's game. Just in time, too because Microsoft has embarked on an ad campaign targeting android users.

I'm not an apple guy at all, but this new level of competition has me super curious as to what Apple will put out to compete!

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Flipboard is pretty good. Google Currents isn't that bad either, but far less eye candy.

Ouch. Ice Cream Sandwich has seriously upped Android's game. Just in time, too because Microsoft has embarked on an ad campaign targeting android users.

I'm not an apple guy at all, but this new level of competition has me super curious as to what Apple will put out to compete!

Why are you here?

Just to slam Apple?

There's a word for that isn't there?

:rolleyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
If you ever start to get bored of your phone, root it and install a custom ROM! It's cheaper than getting a new phone, pretty much completely safe and you'll feel like you have a new phone :D The Android developer community come up with some pretty incredible stuff.

"it just works" applies to the latest Android phones too, imo.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I use & enjoy both iOS, and Android, each for their various strengths. I've used both concurrently since each was introduced.

Ice Cream Sandwich as implemented on the HTC One X, and Galaxy S3, is simply stellar. The sizes of displays & physical phone sizes are very comfortable and ideal for my usage.

On AT&T, I bought an HTC One X and find it the best of Androids I've had to date. I've had every Galaxy Series, and this is the first HTC I've had in awhile that's such an exceptional smartphone.

Enjoy!

snowydog

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2011

You feel the need to to tell me about your phone experience I'm telling you what I made for dinner. This is not faceboo.

There's a thread for that in the picture gallery - just take a pic of your dinner ;)

P.S get over yourself. That is all, have a nice day :)

----------

I'm doing opposite - have an HTC Desire (albeit two years old in July) and it's got to the point where it's difficult to use without wanting to throw it out the window. Laggy, internet freezes, battery life is terrible..needs charged overnight and then later in the evening of same day. No software updates in FOREVER and it totally needs it! /.... at the time I got it 2 years ago - it was all hyped up .. great phone...people were saying it would be better than the iPhone..and for a good part of my contract I would have felt the same, but these last 6 months the phone has went downhill. I liked android...previous phones were android but I feel there's still too many bugs etc... after getting the iPad back in September and then getting a MacBook Pro in October..Im pretty certain when my contract is up I'll be buying the new iPhone when it comes out. iPhone I got from work was far more reliable than my HTC .

scott craft

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Louisiana

I agree. This competition is great. I've got an upgrade in November and by then the next iphone should be out along with Windows 8 phones and the latest androids. Should be some really nice phones available.

EstrlM3

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2010
Hello everyone.

Have you "Owned every iPhone" or have you "Owned every iPhone up until the 4S" ?

GO TROLL ELSEWHERE!!! God I can't stand people like you. The OP is simply sharing his experience which is the purpose of an online community. Sarcastic posts like yours just take away from everything.

Don't play moderator. Obviously they don't have an issue with his post.

I think OP is the one trolling... :rolleyes:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Hello everyone.

I couldn't agree more, for while I am not posting about my dinner, I'd like this forum to focus more on the iPhone itself. Also, I think a separate forum would make the tone of threads like this less combative.

In any case, I hope you enjoy your new phone. I still prefer iOS, but to each their own.

M. Malone

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2004
Have you "Owned every iPhone" or have you "Owned every iPhone up until the 4S" ?

I think OP is the one trolling... :rolleyes:

I'm sorry if my choice of words triggered your alert system. To clarify, I have owned every iPhone.

Take it easy, you'll live longer. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.