Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osohardy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
I know there are various threads on remuxing bluray rips to m4v for playback on ATV3. I know the process but just wondering one thing for those that are doing this: how long does it typically take for the ATV to do the initial buffer before it starts playing the file? I have no problems with actual playback at this point but with large ones, eg 28GB+ it takes about 2 minutes before playback starts (ethernet via airport extreme from a Drobo connected by FW800 to homeshare mac mini). But the buffer time doesn't seem to be linear--one that is say 15GB may load in ~3-15 seconds. In all cases they are 'optimized' either via iFlicks or Subler.

I'm still waffling on whether to just remux or handbrake down. The handbrake settings I use now after much testing I'm happy with overall, but they use a strong film tune on top of high profile, which has fantastic quality but slower encodes (4-10fps on quad core i7). In practice, this means I could only do 1 encode overnight and since the iMac is in the bedroom this would not be wife-friendly with the fans kicking in, so it is not often that I actually get to run them overnight. Also there are oddballs that hardly reduce in size from the original rip. Anyway-- point is when I explored just remuxing my rips for time and convenience I'm worried about the WAF if they take that long to load. Curious what other people's experience is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.