PDA

View Full Version : Startup Disk Questions

MacKenzie999
May 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
Hello everyone...
I have dragged my feet on upgrading to Lion as it broke too many apps for me. Now I am ready to upgrade, but there is still one app I cannot let go of (Quicktime 7 pro, vastly superior to the later versions). It is an essential part of my workflow, so what I am thinking about doing is installing a new harddrive in my mac and installing Lion on that, so that I have the option of booting into either OS.
Here are my questions:
Is this a bad idea?
I have four disk drives in my Mac Pro (Quad Core Intel Xeon, 10gb ram), does it matter which drive the OS's are installed on? (I assume separate drive for each OS is essential).
Assuming the install is ok as planned, I simply hold the C key while restarting to select a bootable drive, right?
Answers and any other advice greatly appreciated. be gentle, I am a non-tecchie designer.
Thanks!

Quad5Ny
May 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3678

The order of the drives shouldn't matter. If I were you though, I would remove the other drives while Lion installs just to make sure you don't delete or overwrite anything. :p

PurrBall
May 11, 2012, 09:47 PM
I'm using QuickTime 7 Pro just fine on Lion, what's the problem you've been having with it?

WRP
May 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
Yeah, why have two boots just for QT7 Pro? I have QT player and QT7 Pro on my machine. I have all my files default to open QT7 Pro. Only time I use QT player is when I need a screen video capture and still then I tend to use Snapz Pro.

MacKenzie999
May 11, 2012, 11:53 PM
I'm using QuickTime 7 Pro just fine on Lion, what's the problem you've been having with it?

An editor I work with told me Lion broke QT7, it didn't occur to me that she could have been wrong. Great, thanks!