PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Lion

thriii
May 11, 2012, 08:24 PM
I'm still on 1.6 due to some of the problems I've heard with Lion.. Can anyone give me any ideas what to expect? I'm a web designer so I work with programs like photoshop pretty often.

I've never upgraded through the app store so is there anything I should know?

agentphish
May 11, 2012, 09:11 PM
Make sure you backup.

Make sure you have at least 4gb ram.

Do the upgrade. should be fine. 10.7.4 has been nice in my experiences

Quad5Ny
May 12, 2012, 04:22 AM
Scrolling isn't as smooth on slower video cards and there are some power management probelms on older machines (ex: 2008 Macbook Unibody), but other than that it works great.

Also if you have more than 1 boot camp partition or bitlocker setup, it might break those.

Taz Mangus
May 12, 2012, 07:32 AM
I'm still on 1.6 due to some of the problems I've heard with Lion.. Can anyone give me any ideas what to expect? I'm a web designer so I work with programs like photoshop pretty often.

I've never upgraded through the app store so is there anything I should know?

If you are unsure about installing Lion then you can do one of these two options:

Repartition your internal boot HD into two partitions. Install Lion on the new partition and boot to the installed Lion. Repartitioning won't erase any data.
Install Lion on a external HD and boot to that installed Lion.

What is nice about these options is that you don't have to disturb your 10.6 install. If Lion does not work for you then all of have to do is remove Lion and go back to using 10.6. In the case of repartitioning your internal HD, simply remove the new partition and resize your original partition back to its fi=ull size. Again you won't loose any data.

If you finally decide that Lion works fine on your Mac then I suggest that you do a clean install of Lion on your boot HD. This is what I always do with any new major release of OS X.

When you are ready to update to Lion make sure you do a backup of any important data.

rockyrhoads
May 13, 2012, 11:52 PM
I have the same question with a 2007 MBP (2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 320GB 7200 HDD). I'm excited to try it out with one last question:

Once purchasing Lion from the App store, how do I keep the install files for later use? Is there an image?

Thanks

Taz Mangus
May 14, 2012, 03:37 PM
I have the same question with a 2007 MBP (2.2ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 320GB 7200 HDD). I'm excited to try it out with one last question:

Once purchasing Lion from the App store, how do I keep the install files for later use? Is there an image?

Thanks

Try this: http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-bootable-mac-os-x-10-7-lion-installer-from-a-usb-flash-drive/

One thing I don't see mentioned in the above article that is important to do is to first partiton the USB flash drive as GUID.