PDA

View Full Version : 10.7.4 Slower?

OS X Dude
May 12, 2012, 06:00 AM
Since updating my MacBook Pro (see sig for spec) to 10.7.4, I've noticed Safari and general system performance seem slower. I get the beach ball where I never used to before, and yet my system is always pretty lean - only the barest minimum is on my hard drive to keep out clutter.

Anyway, I looked around and found this - has anyone else found this issue?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3944179?tstart=0

alstrike
May 12, 2012, 06:11 AM
Itīs been great so far for me, no more kernel panics or stupid freezes.

At last itīs running like it should...

OS X Dude
May 12, 2012, 06:53 AM
It's not been too bad now I've had my Mac on and running for a bit, it's more with Safari just hanging. Maybe it just needs some time to work-in the update, so to speak.

chevalier433
May 12, 2012, 07:38 AM
Since updating my MacBook Pro (see sig for spec) to 10.7.4, I've noticed Safari and general system performance seem slower. I get the beach ball where I never used to before, and yet my system is always pretty lean - only the barest minimum is on my hard drive to keep out clutter.

I had them too in the beginning maybe you have to let your computer without use your OS for half hour to index properly

OS X Dude
May 12, 2012, 07:46 AM
I had them too in the beginning maybe you have to let your computer without use your OS for half hour to index properly

Yeah, that's helped it so far I think. Maybe this happens for every OS update and I just can't recall it :p Thanks :)

SR45
May 12, 2012, 01:58 PM
First time use of the new build and my system was a tad slow, but after a couple of days use, it got better and no other issues to report yet. ;)

scottsjack
May 12, 2012, 04:09 PM

Funny you should mention slowness. I installed 10.7.4 on my MBP 5,1. I've been running a lot of benchmarks lately so I ran Cinebench and Geekbench. Both benchmarks scored considerably lower than 10.7.3 and even 10.6.8.

Horrified I benchmarked my Mac Pro 5,1 and my late 2009 mini. On both of those 10.7.4 was faster than 10.7.3 which is also faster than 10.6.8. I took the "always do first" first step and reran the combo updater.

After that the MBP scores fell into line with the other Macs and is slightly faster than on the previous version. I'm a constant Firefox user. No problems at all so far. 10.7.4 has turned out to be a worthy upgrade.

chevalier433
May 13, 2012, 04:12 AM
First time use of the new build and my system was a tad slow, but after a couple of days use, it got better and no other issues to report yet. ;)

Same here after two full working days with the update system seems to be faster specially graphics(tested in RAGE game).

agentphish
May 13, 2012, 09:34 AM
noticeably faster after a clean install on my 2011 i7 Air. Really great.

thermodynamic
May 13, 2012, 10:03 AM
It's not been too bad now I've had my Mac on and running for a bit, it's more with Safari just hanging. Maybe it just needs some time to work-in the update, so to speak.

It's code. Once it's installed there's nothing to work in.

Granted, indexing subsystems may need to rebuild, but after 30 minutes or whatever it takes, it should run just fine.

Given that Macs' hardware components are all controlled by Apple, nobody can say "Well Macs are more stable because unlike Windows Apple keeps everything under tight control". It works both ways. This time Apple is being a tad hurried to rush out unneeded iOS fluff into OS X.

I still haven't put 10.7.x on my MacBook because of battery life issues. And "Mountain Lion" (aka "Puma II", but a Mountain Lion can also be referred to as "Cougar", a name Apple has yet to use (oddly)) probably won't address them either.

lindros2
May 13, 2012, 10:20 AM
My early 2011 MBP 13" i5 is slow as hell. I get spinning rainbow ball all the time.

I reinstalled the combo update - little change.

I deleted a boatload of stuff (songs, photos, etc.), reinstalled a third time, and still slow.

It's not just slow, but unreliably slow. It works okay for a bit, then slow again.

Sven11
May 13, 2012, 11:00 AM
It runs fine for me on all my systems. :confused:

macrominnie
May 13, 2012, 08:17 PM
My early 2011 MBP 13" i5 is slow as hell. I get spinning rainbow ball all the time.

I reinstalled the combo update - little change.

I deleted a boatload of stuff (songs, photos, etc.), reinstalled a third time, and still slow.

It's not just slow, but unreliably slow. It works okay for a bit, then slow again.

My experience is bad but not as extreme. My MBP is a little slower all the time with spinning beach ball & program crashes about 5 times per day. I have lost control of some system preferences and ability to run some peripherals and programs (Nothing to do with Rosetta, everything worked in 10.7.3 and previous 10.7's). Very frustrating to consider buying an older OS to get functionality that should come with a new machine.

throAU
May 14, 2012, 01:10 AM
This time Apple is being a tad hurried to rush out unneeded iOS fluff into OS X.

I still haven't put 10.7.x on my MacBook because of battery life issues. And "Mountain Lion" (aka "Puma II", but a Mountain Lion can also be referred to as "Cougar", a name Apple has yet to use (oddly)) probably won't address them either.

You could have just said "i hate lion", and it would have helped the guy just as much.

OP: i've noticed 10.7.4 being a lot quicker, which also seems to be the general consensus. If you have time, i'd try a clean install to eliminate the possibility of something wierd in your setup (an application not compatible, or whatever) causing the slowness.

edit:
Its on all 3 systems in my sig. It is a lot quicker on my MBP 15" and my mini. The GF hasn't noticed any difference on her MBA 2010, but that could just be her obliviousness to tech type things... :D

All of my machines were updated via the combo update - no clean installs, so for me at least the combo update worked just fine.

Eithanius
May 14, 2012, 02:01 AM
You could have just said "i hate lion", and it would have helped the guy just as much.

I hate Lion... nuff said... :D:D

Morris
May 14, 2012, 03:38 PM
I did a combo of 10.7.4 on my MBP and the first hour it was indeed slower. Probably due to background indexing/updating/re-building cache/running scripts or whatever it is the OS needs to do after the update.

After leaving it for a while and a reboot it is nice and fast, definitely got rid of the unexplainable beachballs I used to have before 10.7.4

OS X Dude
May 15, 2012, 06:54 AM
Three days in and it's fine - has been for a couple of days actually :)

I think, as has been said, it was probably just re-indexing some stuff. I usually find my Mac is slower on the first boot of new OS updates anyway, just this time it spilled over into the first couple of boots.

Thanks guys, and if anyone posted saying it's slower for them too, I hope your Macs are back up to speed now :)

dacoolest
May 15, 2012, 08:14 AM
Some says slower, some says faster. But I haven't seen any differences in performance. Safari is still working well together with the beachball as usual.

Flaffer
May 23, 2012, 07:20 PM
I had the same issues with erratic beach balls spinning for several seconds wherein nothing responds, then the freeze lifts and everything done during the freeze happens. Anyway, I disabled Flash (11.2.202) and the problem is gone (so far). I suspected Flash because it was updated a bit after I applied the patch to OS X. I always have a browser open as well, so the issue occurred all the time.

lindros2
Oct 21, 2013, 08:23 PM
My experience is bad but not as extreme. My MBP is a little slower all the time with spinning beach ball & program crashes about 5 times per day. I have lost control of some system preferences and ability to run some peripherals and programs (Nothing to do with Rosetta, everything worked in 10.7.3 and previous 10.7's). Very frustrating to consider buying an older OS to get functionality that should come with a new machine.

Even on an SSD, experience is now the same (and this is Oct, 2013 vs. May, 2012).

Ugh.