PDA

View Full Version : UI Problems in 10.7.4

kikuchiyo
May 12, 2012, 08:07 PM
Well, it's been in every version of Lion I've used (so 10.7.2, I guess?). For everyone saying Lion works perfectly it doesn't - and this is on a clean install. I'm just surprised that we've had five iterations of Lion now and no one's fixed this hoo-ha. The cap doesn't even show the problem I often have of my non-transparent menubar going transparent randomly (often when I change spaces).

I like Lion, overall, or I would have nuked it from space and gone back to Snow Leopard, but it's so damn unpolished!

http://gbatemp.net/uploads/gallery/album_1154/gallery_19807_1154_1151705.png

ipos
May 12, 2012, 08:18 PM
what is the name of the folder are u using?
can share?

kikuchiyo
May 12, 2012, 11:14 PM
what is the name of the folder are u using?
can share?

Folder? You mean drive icons?

MacRumorUser
May 13, 2012, 02:08 AM
Isn't it a rule of thumb to keep 10% of your drive free/clean for optimum performance? If so.. You need to clean your system drive, and the others. ;)

Goodness only knows what could be stored in a drive called Tinkerty Tonk, but I'm sure Snoop Dog would be Skidizzled bout it...

And just how big are your drive icons? If they were any bigger they'd be cracking 'your drive icons are so fat jokes'...

Sparrow's notifications work fine on my macs. No pixelation.

kikuchiyo
May 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the advice. I know my main drive needs more space. For non-system drives that rule doesn't apply. Are you offering to buy me a new internal drive?

As for Tinkerty Tonk, you're from Ireland and don't know who P.G. Wodehouse is? I know they make students read him in other former English colonies.

The drive icons are 500px because I like them that way. Sorry they offended you? They really do obscure....my desktop image. And why would my hypothetical anthropomorphic drive icons crack jokes about themselves?

All my badge icons are garbage, so I don't know what the deal is. This was a fresh install of Lion too (and happened when I installed over SL). Some problem on my end maybe, but still crappy.

Taz Mangus
May 14, 2012, 10:58 AM
Well, it's been in every version of Lion I've used (so 10.7.2, I guess?). For everyone saying Lion works perfectly it doesn't - and this is on a clean install. I'm just surprised that we've had five iterations of Lion now and no one's fixed this hoo-ha. The cap doesn't even show the problem I often have of my non-transparent menubar going transparent randomly (often when I change spaces).

I like Lion, overall, or I would have nuked it from space and gone back to Snow Leopard, but it's so damn unpolished!

Image (http://gbatemp.net/uploads/gallery/album_1154/gallery_19807_1154_1151705.png)

Where did you get your HD icons?

EDIT: I believe I found them.

gentlefury
May 14, 2012, 11:25 AM

Image (http://gbatemp.net/uploads/gallery/album_1154/gallery_19807_1154_1151705.png)

For starters. 3rd party application icons are not made by Apple.....so no amount of OS updates are going to raise the resolution of whatever application that is. Sorry. I also don't understand what Rando Save UI means, or why you have a font selector on your desktop...but if it's a 3rd party UI add-on....well, again, complain to them. Nothing you are talking about has ANYTHING to do with Apple or Lion.

WRP
May 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
For starters. 3rd party application icons are not made by Apple.....so no amount of OS updates are going to raise the resolution of whatever application that is.

Hey, my Photoshop has a weird UI thing happening! Therefor Lion sucks. :D

kikuchiyo
May 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
For starters. 3rd party application icons are not made by Apple.....so no amount of OS updates are going to raise the resolution of whatever application that is. Sorry. I also don't understand what Rando Save UI means, or why you have a font selector on your desktop...but if it's a 3rd party UI add-on....well, again, complain to them. Nothing you are talking about has ANYTHING to do with Apple or Lion.

I'm sorry you can't read the post but it happens with all badge icons, not just Sparrow.

Plus Sparrow is using the badge icon resources from the OS. I'm not sure how you think the OS works but every app doesn't come with its own badge resources. It uses those supplied by the OS.

And the random UI bit is from a Text Edit or Preview dialogue box. Thanks though, for your totally uninformed opinion.

----------

EDIT

http://gbatemp.net/uploads/gallery/album_1154/gallery_19807_1154_50079.png

I'm sorry, I didn't realize Facetime was a third-party app.

----------

Hey, my Photoshop has a weird UI thing happening! Therefor Lion sucks. :D

It's no photoshop. Just a screen grab with with Grab and then commentary with Preview. It doesn't seem like you know how Photoshop works but there's that.

Plus the weird UI thing happens a lot with the Preview and Text Edit save dialogue boxes. It's not a one shot thing nor would I post about something that only happens once.

Thanks for playing though, but it doesn't seem like you've been a user long enough to be as condescending as you are.

phyrexia
May 14, 2012, 02:33 PM
Free some space on your OS drive as others have mentioned, remove your third party plugins, additions, and other miscellaneous crapware, and then see if you have problems.

I've only used Lion, from initial release onward, on my MBP and haven't had any issues like you're having.

You could have been more clear initially (using the word 'rando' in an internationally populated technical & support forum?) but my inkling is that you have some sort of issues with all the customization you're performing.

Obviously you aren't showing us a screenshot of a "clean" lion install if you have all that stuff going on. It looks quite a ways off from 'clean.'.

Did you restore from a time machine backup after your install or did you manually reinstall all those programs?

WRP
May 14, 2012, 08:08 PM
It's no photoshop. Just a screen grab with with Grab and then commentary with Preview. It doesn't seem like you know how Photoshop works but there's that.

I know exactly how photoshop works. I was just making fun of you.

benthewraith
May 14, 2012, 11:03 PM
You could have been more clear initially (using the word 'rando' in an internationally populated technical & support forum?) but my inkling is that you have some sort of issues with all the customization you're performing.

What customization are you talking about? The menu bar (transparent/non-transparent) is decided by a system preference and replacing the icons would have nothing to do with the "Rich Text Format" artifact on the original poster's desktop.

Have you tried running Apple Hardware Test to see if it's a problem with the logic board or graphics card? Artifacting is typically the signs of an ailing GPU. Are you on a MBP or MBA?

kikuchiyo
May 14, 2012, 11:20 PM
Free some space on your OS drive as others have mentioned, remove your third party plugins, additions, and other miscellaneous crapware, and then see if you have problems.

Manually reinstalled everything after having these issues on two upgrades (to be clear on the final (and current) manual reinstall, I did a zero-out format the HD, installed Lion, and then manually copied apps and preference over). The only customization is the drive icons and the Finder icon. You can't point to anything else, because there isn't. I don't install SIMBL plugins and I don't install garbage software. What "customization" do you mean, then? Programs in the dock? A solid menubar? *gasp* Twitter running?

I actually pride myself on running clean installs (unless you're confused and you think the wallpaper is some kind of haxie). I've been running OSX since before Tiger. I've been having these issues on fresh installs of Lion, and I don't think I'm as dumb as you seem to think I am. If you see something that causes issues, point it out, but otherwise you're just randomly spouting garbage in attempt to cover up the fact that you really have no idea what you're talking about. These issues were present on fresh installs with much more free space. And free space would only matter on the system drive, by the way. While I'm doling out advice, you can change drive icons without messing with system files by using Get Info (which is what was done here) - a completely OK way to do it with OSX - no "hacking" involved. If you read John Siracusa's OSX release reviews, he's got them customized similarly.

As for rando I was trying to be cute with these little UI problems that have been bothering me but people seem to want to be hostile rather than be constructive it seems. My bad for trying to be friendly, I guess.

----------

What customization are you talking about? The menu bar (transparent/non-transparent) is decided by a system preference and replacing the icons would have nothing to do with the "Rich Text Format" artifact on the original poster's desktop.

Have you tried running Apple Hardware Test to see if it's a problem with the logic board or graphics card? Artifacting is typically the signs of an ailing GPU. Are you on a MBP or MBA?

Thank you for the only half-way serious response. I haven't run the hardware test, but I don't think it's a random artifact as I can actually choose the RTF "artifact." Check it out:

http://gbatemp.net/uploads/gallery/album_1154/gallery_19807_1154_5849.jpg

Anyway, I'll run tests tomorrow but it's too big a coincidence that I start having these issues right after installing Lion when this machine was running SL with no issues (and after two "upgrades" and one fresh reinstall). I'm totally prepared to admit that it may be a problem with my machine being old but it still ought to be compatible (an ancient 2.16 MBP - which is actually included in the machines capable of Lion).

---------

phyrexia
May 15, 2012, 01:28 AM
I was not rude to you. I am trying to offer suggestions to you. There is no need to condescend to me as others have condescended to you. If your machine does this sort of thing on a 100% clean install, I'd assume you have hardware issues. If it didn't, I'd assume it is one of the many programs you have installed. Does the problem occur immediately on a fresh install or does it begin after you manually reinstalled your applications?

kikuchiyo
May 15, 2012, 01:34 AM
I was not rude to you. I am trying to offer suggestions to you. There is no need to condescend to me as others have condescended to you. If your machine does this sort of thing on a 100% clean install, I'd assume you have hardware issues. If it didn't, I'd assume it is one of the many programs you have installed. Does the problem occur immediately on a fresh install or does it begin after you manually reinstalled your applications?

Fair enough. I guess my issue was with you saying there was crapware and customized junk installed. There isn't - almost everything, except for that Finder icon, was done through the OSas benthewraith mentioned.

It did these things on a 100% clean install, before anything else was installed. Which points to a hardware issue, but doesn't explain why Snow Leopard ran with no problem.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to run a hardware test tomorrow, but I'm honestly stumped (and a little frustrated with Lion).

gentlefury
May 15, 2012, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry you can't read the post but it happens with all badge icons, not just Sparrow.

Plus Sparrow is using the badge icon resources from the OS. I'm not sure how you think the OS works but every app doesn't come with its own badge resources. It uses those supplied by the OS.

And the random UI bit is from a Text Edit or Preview dialogue box. Thanks though, for your totally uninformed opinion.

----------

EDIT

Image (http://gbatemp.net/uploads/gallery/album_1154/gallery_19807_1154_50079.png)

I'm sorry, I didn't realize Facetime was a third-party app.

----------

Plus the weird UI thing happens a lot with the Preview and Text Edit save dialogue boxes. It's not a one shot thing nor would I post about something that only happens once.

Thanks for playing though, but it doesn't seem like you've been a user long enough to be as condescending as you are.

It's obviously something you are doing to the OS to cause this...as mine:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-rjUjUJICCG8/T7MfP0TJQgI/AAAAAAAAE9Y/lgZOiAf1HTY/s200/Screen%2520Shot%25202012-05-15%2520at%25208.29.36%2520PM.png

Looks perfectly fine.

AndyMoore
May 16, 2012, 06:57 AM
Just out of interest, if you switch on the Dock Magnification, what happens when you scroll over the icons with badges? Do the badges remain pixellated?

Have you tried flipping the Dock location to other side and / or bottom of the screen?

One other thing you could try. Lower your screen resolution to something allowable for your screen and then set it back to the original resolution. Maybe this will force the OS to redraw the badge icons.

I've not had this issue but these are thing that I would try if I did.