Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rwnzl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2009
How do I connect to the Apple TV network using a jailbroken iphone (3G) as the WiFi?

I can't get the aTV to recognize iphonemodem as the WiFi connection. (I use iphonemodem to access the internet on my MacBookPro - not the fastest but splendid when you consider the cost.)

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
I don't know if there are solutions available from the jailbreak side but AirPlay would normally allow a user to select output to ATV from whatever media app you are using.

If you mean to suggest that the ATV functions as a wifi router, this is not a service supported by ATV.

Or if you are using your iPhone as a hotspot, perhaps it is out of reception range for the ATV. If the ATV sees the hotspot but fails to join, be sure you are using the right password.

Lastly, I don't think the iPhone 3G does video AirPlay.

Last edited:

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
I have never used iphonemodem, but from what I understand it sets up an ad-hoc wireless network on your iPhone called iphonemodem.

In theory if the iphonemodem network exists, you should be able to configure your ATV to connect via that network. Does your ATV see the iPhonemodem network when you configure its wireless network settings?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.