Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonico7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
HI im have a 2011 MBA 13.

I Want to know if It is normal to hear a little hum or buzz (t sounds like a spinning hard disk, o a shaver) every time I scroll a page on Safari and also when open a APP or loading something (like a SDD have activity) .I understand that SSD would not have to do it because it has no moving parts

When I unplug the Magsafe of the air disappears completely :confused: only appear when the air is plugged .

The small hum/buzz comes close to the ESC key near magsafe connector

Thanks in advance

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Sounds like the power management bit of the computer - may be nothing, but I would take it to your local Apple store if it is still in warranty.

David

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
I remember this exact same thing happened on my old 2006 MacBook. Never did figure out the cause, but it never really bothered me.

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
This is probably the voltage regulator on the logic board. It is probably a "switcher" VR as opposed to a "linear" VR. Switchers are cheaper, but their weakness is that they make a humming noise under load. Was your battery full? I would try to see if you hear it with the battery fully charged and with the mag-safe plugged in.

pieuk

macrumors member
Dec 25, 2011
ive had this and wondered what it was also. you can only really hear it at night when everything is super quiet. its so quiet you wouldnt even know it was there tbh

sonico7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 29, 2011
Thanks for the answers!

This is probably the voltage regulator on the logic board. It is probably a "switcher" VR as opposed to a "linear" VR. Switchers are cheaper, but their weakness is that they make a humming noise under load. Was your battery full?

I would try to see if you hear it with the battery fully charged and with the mag-safe plugged in.

With the battery fully charged and with the mag-safe plugged NO hum/buzz issues :rolleyes: only be hear when charging and the SSD have activity why? this is normal?.

Last edited:

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
With the battery fully charged and with the mag-safe plugged NO hum/buzz issues :rolleyes: only be hear when charging and the SSD have activity why? this is normal?.

I guess when the battery is charging and the computer under load, the component is user the greatest stress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.