PDA

View Full Version : 1.5GB of RAM just disappears?

MacNoobGuy
May 13, 2012, 05:30 PM
hey guys, i just started using dropbox to sync my files. i tried uploading a 700mb file and it worked. however, while i was uploading it somehow 1.5 GB of RAM or so became used. i checked in activity monitor and it doesn't say what's using so much RAM in the list. nothing has changed in terms of memory usage in activity monitor, but 1.5GB of ram of is still being used.

when i reboot it goes back to normal, but this is annoying. it only happens when i use dropbox. i wouldn't worry, but i run out of RAM and need to reboot to get the RAM back.

thanks

simsaladimbamba
May 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
Have you actually selected ALL PROCESSES?

Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by Real Mem to show you the process(es) using up your RAM.
Using Activity Monitor to show you CPU and RAM usage

Nuttydev
May 13, 2012, 05:48 PM
You can open up terminal and type in 'purge' then press enter and it will clear all inactive ram. Not sure if this will help in your case though.

MacNoobGuy
May 14, 2012, 03:48 AM
Have you actually selected ALL PROCESSES?

Open Activity Monitor and select All Processes and then sort by Real Mem to show you the process(es) using up your RAM.
Using Activity Monitor to show you CPU and RAM usage

thanks i did this, but it didn't show up.
You can open up terminal and type in 'purge' then press enter and it will clear all inactive ram. Not sure if this will help in your case though.

thanks a lot this worked!!!