PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to remove default directories?

vimalloc
May 13, 2012, 07:14 PM
This has been bugging me for months. I spend almost all of my time in a terminal on osx, and like to keep it nice and organized. I have my own folder structure that I use, which is the same between this box and a few linux machines I have. In osx there are a bunch of default folders that are totally unused by me, and I am wondering if I can get rid of them for good. These folders are generally:

Desktop
Downloads
Movies
Music
Public

I can delete them as root, but they always come back on my next login. Is there anyway to kill these directories for good? On a related note, I see a library folder here that looks like it is used for to store configurations for programs. Is there any system settings I could change so that these programs would look go to .library or .config instead?

Cheers

Bear
May 14, 2012, 07:37 AM
I can delete them as root, but they always come back on my next login. Is there anyway to kill these directories for good? On a related note, I see a library folder here that looks like it is used for to store configurations for programs. Is there any system settings I could change so that these programs would look go to .library or .config instead?

CheersFirst, as you can see, it's not really possible to remove those directories. As for Library, don't even think about renaming it, It's hardcoded in to too many programs.

Mattie Num Nums
May 14, 2012, 11:54 AM
You can't move the library however most of the other stuff you can change via editing the "/system/library/user_template/english.lproj". You will need to sudo in order to edit this folder.

Another thing you could do is create a small login script that does the following:

#!/bin/bash

rm -R "~/Documents"
rm -R "~/Music"
rm -R "~/Pictures"

exit 0

etc.