PDA

View Full Version : [phones] iPhone 4S vs Galaxy S3

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

matttye
Jun 24, 2012, 09:57 AM
You bought it yesterday and returned it yesterday? HAHAHAAAA. Tell me another one. So let's get this straight, You bought it, realized it didn't have iMessage so returned it. You had to buy it first to figure this out? iMessage was so important to you, you decided to buy an non Apple device, knowing full well only iOS has iMessage. Yup! Sounds believable to me. It never ceases to amaze me how so many blind followers will try to discourage others by coming up with stories like this. Then you go on to bash the look of the phone which you would have already seen BEFORE you supposedly bought this phone. Good Grief, when will this insecurity stop.

Looks like he bought it, tried out the iMessage alternatives and then decided iMessage was needed to me.

There aren't many fanboys for any platform that would concoct a story just to discourage people.. surely :p

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 10:05 AM
You bought it yesterday and returned it yesterday? HAHAHAAAA. Tell me another one. So let's get this straight, You bought it, realized it didn't have iMessage so returned it. You had to buy it first to figure this out? iMessage was so important to you, you decided to buy an non Apple device, knowing full well only iOS has iMessage. Yup! Sounds believable to me. It never ceases to amaze me how so many blind followers will try to discourage others by coming up with stories like this. Then you go on to bash the look of the phone which you would have already seen BEFORE you supposedly bought this phone. Good Grief, when will this insecurity stop.

:/ you caught me.

jk.
http://i48.tinypic.com/2vcaomc.jpg

Frankied22
Jun 24, 2012, 10:41 AM

jk.
Image (http://i48.tinypic.com/2vcaomc.jpg)

lmao

theturtle
Jun 24, 2012, 10:50 AM

jk.

LOL *dead*

Dunbar
Jun 24, 2012, 11:36 AM
How did you do that after returning it? Just kidding, but seriously the lack of iMessage does seem like a silly reason to return an Android phone. It would be more understandable if you said it messed up the Feng Shui in your house. It sounds like some of the people buying them in this thread have no real intention of keeping the S3. They just buy them to do sort of an extended demo and then return them...Im waiting for somebody to say they returned the S3 because their pet didn't like it.

blairh
Jun 24, 2012, 11:59 AM
The fact that the home button appears to be in the lower third of the bottom bezel is puzzling. The device is large enough as it is and having to reach just a touch more to hit the home button seems really annoying. I have to think this design choice is a mistake on Samsung's part.

Returning your SIII because it doesn't have iMessage is pretty stupid. You knew that beforehand. Also, there are apps like WhatsApp that do the exact same thing.

WindWaker
Jun 24, 2012, 12:04 PM
I can understand why the lack of iMessage could be rather annoying on your phone. If you're in the Apple Ecosystem (i.e. you have a Mac and iPad), then the lack of an iPhone can be rather puzzling. I'm in that same boat, but I've decided that I don't really use some of the features such as Reminders (I do use iMessage a lot, but I can just look at the last text I sent on my phone and begin iMessaging from that :P).

I must say, the iPhone is a lot more tempting with Mountain Lion coming to Macs

Timzer
Jun 24, 2012, 12:06 PM

jk.

BINGO!!! You just exposed yourself. Congrats for knowing someone that has an S3. In any case, you SOLD YOURS YESTERDAY. Remember?

YOU SAID: got mine yesterday, sold mine yesterday.

The best thing is your fellow blind followers know this but won't call you on it. They actually think you proved your point. KOOL-AID in full effect.

Here's another question for you, if you bought only yesterday, why would you sell it and not return it instead? Very odd indeed.

MattMJB0188
Jun 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
I just got the Galaxy S III on AT&T a few days ago and all I can say is that its superior to the iPhone in a million ways. Battery life blows the iPhone 4S out of the water. Even build quality is better than the iPhone and believe me I'd know as I had 10 different iPhones all with various cosmetic issues.

The GSIII is the only Android that actually has a comparable iPhone experience. Love it and really glad to see a phone as popular as the iPhone for once. I hope Samsung continues to do well and attract more iPhone customers.

Was a little unsure with the next iPhone coming but after seeing the joke iOS 6 is my decision is made up. Will be holding onto my GSIII for a long time.

Vegastouch
Jun 24, 2012, 12:35 PM
How often do you look at the back of the phone?!

It battles me that some people would return it for such a strange reason. :confused:

Agree. That is a strange reason. Especially when you consider you can either get a case on it or get one of These (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Metal-Battery-Door-Replacement-Back-Case-For-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-SIII-i9300-/251091894845?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a763e423d) metal back covers to replace the stock one. They come in several colors.

Amazing nobody does any investigating to see whats available. There is also some that have white trim on the sides. You just have to look.

Vegastouch
Jun 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
The fact that the home button appears to be in the lower third of the bottom bezel is puzzling. The device is large enough as it is and having to reach just a touch more to hit the home button seems really annoying. I have to think this design choice is a mistake on Samsung's part.

Returning your SIII because it doesn't have iMessage is pretty stupid. You knew that beforehand. Also, there are apps like WhatsApp that do the exact same thing.

You seem to keep coming up with nitpic reasons for things that may keep you from enjoying this phone as well. The home button is too low? Well hey, its also wider than the iPhones ;) You said right from the start that NOT having a physical home button would be a deal breaker, ...yet you seem real interested in the new LG phone that doesnt have one.
You mentioned the blueish screen could be an issue for you. Seriously, you wont even notice it.

I know some people are real picky....like the guy you said was stupid for returning his because it didnt have iMessage. Sure that seems picky because there are so many other features that the iPhone doesnt have.
Hmmm, well we'll see if you end up keeping it.

Personally i think it is going to be a great phone when i get it and im very anxious to get it.. Just may be a bit too big for my liking. It is a bit taller than the One X though the same width. We'll see, im sure ill get used to it, im not that picky.

Im not blasting you at all and sorry if it sounds that way. Just expressing a thought.

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 12:56 PM
BINGO!!! You just exposed yourself. Congrats for knowing someone that has an S3. In any case, you SOLD YOURS YESTERDAY. Remember?

The best thing is your fellow blind followers know this but won't call you on it. They actually think you proved your point. KOOL-AID in full effect.

Here's another question for you, if you bought only yesterday, why would you sell it and not return it instead? Very odd indeed.

U HAZ CAUGHT MY SCAM.

Seriously though. Don't get your panties in a bunch cause I don't like the SGS3. You're right though. I ended up selling it and not returning. Made quite a profit too. Would you like my thread for it xda? It's also in my possession because the post office doesn't open Sunday.

I received payment at 10pm last night so technically it's received yesterday, sold yesterday.

Want a PayPal screenshot? :0)

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 12:58 PM
I can understand why the lack of iMessage could be rather annoying on your phone. If you're in the Apple Ecosystem (i.e. you have a Mac and iPad), then the lack of an iPhone can be rather puzzling. I'm in that same boat, but I've decided that I don't really use some of the features such as Reminders (I do use iMessage a lot, but I can just look at the last text I sent on my phone and begin iMessaging from that :P).

I must say, the iPhone is a lot more tempting with Mountain Lion coming to Macs

This.

I knew android didn't have iMessage. To compensate the hardware and software had to blow me away. It didn't. Not much to it.

Phone didn't appeal to me enough to lose iMessage. Yeah I could have watched videos of it but I had a upgrade to burn so hay.

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 01:00 PM
Agree. That is a strange reason. Especially when you consider you can either get a case on it or get one of These (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Green-Metal-Battery-Door-Replacement-Back-Case-For-Samsung-Galaxy-S3-SIII-i9300-/251091894845?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item3a763e423d) metal back covers to replace the stock one. They come in several colors.

Amazing nobody does any investigating to see whats available. There is also some that have white trim on the sides. You just have to look.

Well to be fair I didn't say I got rid of the phone because of that. I was just pointing out that I didn't like the back. Hopefully you weren't directing your post at me because the back wasn't the reason at all that I sold it.

DanteMann
Jun 24, 2012, 01:14 PM
U HAZ CAUGHT MY SCAM.

Seriously though. Don't get your panties in a bunch cause I don't like the SGS3. You're right though. I ended up selling it and not returning. Made quite a profit too. Would you like my thread for it xda? It's also in my possession because the post office doesn't open Sunday.

I received payment at 10pm last night so technically it's received yesterday, sold yesterday.

Want a PayPal screenshot? :0)

Dude you bought a phone you thought was ugly and you knew it didn't have iMessage. Both reason you were aware of upfront, yet you bought it and sold it immediately. Buddy give it a break. Just say you don't care for anything but an iPhone and it's all good.

nooaah
Jun 24, 2012, 01:14 PM

http://gifsoup.com/webroot/animatedgifs4/2302548_o.gif

If he had an s3 on Thursday, sold it yesterday, but hasn't shipped it yet - is it really sold? Must be an iWitch!

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 01:18 PM
Dude you bought a phone you thought was ugly and you knew it didn't have iMessage. Both reason you were aware of upfront, yet you bought it and sold it immediately. Buddy give it a break. Just say you don't care for anything but an iPhone and it's all good.

Why are you so upset that I didn't like the galaxy? Does my personal choices bother you?

But you asked and you shall receive.

"I don't care for anything but an iPhone"

:0)

blairh
Jun 24, 2012, 01:21 PM
You seem to keep coming up with nitpic reasons for things that may keep you from enjoying this phone as well. The home button is too low? Well hey, its also wider than the iPhones ;) You said right from the start that NOT having a physical home button would be a deal breaker, ...yet you seem real interested in the new LG phone that doesnt have one.
You mentioned the blueish screen could be an issue for you. Seriously, you wont even notice it.

I know some people are real picky....like the guy you said was stupid for returning his because it didnt have iMessage. Sure that seems picky because there are so many other features that the iPhone doesnt have.
Hmmm, well we'll see if you end up keeping it.

Personally i think it is going to be a great phone when i get it and im very anxious to get it.. Just may be a bit too big for my liking. It is a bit taller than the One X though the same width. We'll see, im sure ill get used to it, im not that picky.

Im not blasting you at all and sorry if it sounds that way. Just expressing a thought.

I don't think these are 'nitpick' reasons. I think they are legit actually. Most physical home buttons are in the center of the device. iPhone, etc. It's odd that the SIII's has it on the lower half. I don't think that's really debatable. I'm also not really coming up with reasons about why I would not like this phone. I'm just making observations until I get to demo it.

I don't think the wideness matters. My thumb can easily extend pass the width of the iPhone 4/4S. What does matter is not being able to comfortably reach the top and bottom of a screen.

I'm torn regarding the lack of a physical home button being a deal breaker. The LG device I linked earlier appears to have what I truly want in my next smartphone. The IPS screen, larger than 4", a textured backing. The capacitive home button isn't great however it appears to be immediately under the bottom of the screen, which is a plus.

I won't know how much the bluish screen does or does not bother me until I see it for myself.

I know you aren't blasting me. But I do think my points are valid.

This is the white that the SIII (left) and LG device (right) produce.

mbell1975
Jun 24, 2012, 01:23 PM
Selling it rather than returning it is a great idea. S3 is a very hard phone to get right now, you could probably charge well over retail and someone would pay it. If you got it for $200 and sold it for $700 that's a nice profit. However you will screw yourself on the carrier end by not returning it. if it was an upgrade then you've wasted that and if it was a new line, you have to pay the ETF

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 01:27 PM
I chose not to overcharge. I priced it at a little under how much you would pay at att with tax. Sold for 565. I clear abou 530 after shipping. I'm satisfied.

The Burned upgrade is whatever. I get full upgrade pricing on any phone other than the iPhone twice a year so there was no point in trying to save it.

Vegastouch
Jun 24, 2012, 01:29 PM
I don't think these are 'nitpick' reasons. I think they are legit actually. Most physical home buttons are in the center of the device. iPhone, etc. It's odd that the SIII's has it on the lower half. I don't think that's really debatable. I'm also not really coming up with reasons about why I would not like this phone. I'm just making observations until I get to demo it.

I don't think the wideness matters. My thumb can easily extend pass the width of the iPhone 4/4S. What does matter is not being able to comfortably reach the top and bottom of a screen.

I'm torn regarding the lack of a physical home button being a deal breaker. The LG device I linked earlier appears to have what I truly want in my next smartphone. The IPS screen, larger than 4", a textured backing. The capacitive home button isn't great however it appears to be immediately under the bottom of the screen, which is a plus.

I won't know how much the bluish screen does or does not bother me until I see it for myself.

See, thats just soo irrelevent to me that it never entered my mind til i saw you mention it. Just thought it was nitpicky. I prefered to not have a physical home button because they tend to wear out but ill be ok with it.

The LG you posted, how big is that screen? If you mentioned it, i dont recall.

Mr D
Jun 24, 2012, 01:33 PM
Does anyone know the processor on the ATT version of the S3?

Is it the same S4 that is in the HTC One X? Dual Core?

mbell1975
Jun 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
Does anyone know the processor on the ATT version of the S3?

Is it the same S4 that is in the HTC One X? Dual Core?

Yes

DanteMann
Jun 24, 2012, 01:37 PM
Most physical home buttons are in the center of the device. iPhone, etc. It's odd that the SIII's has it on the lower half. I don't think that's really debatable. I'm also not really coming up with reasons about why I would not like this phone. I'm just making observations until I get to demo it.

It's actually a better place for it ergonomically speaking. And this is what the design of this phone is all about. It's the most comfortable phone I've ever held. I hope they stick with the curves of this phone for upcoming designs. The same way a lot of people feel the 3Gs to be more comfortable than the current iphone.

If you restrict yourself to being able to use a phone with only one hand then you've easily restricted yourself to a 3.5-4.0 inch phone max. No need to look anywhere else.

Honestly, don't think you'll have a problem with the screen's cool tones. In fact, I don't know a single person who thought the whites were blue. You have to be extremely picky to not like the display. Just look at the iPhone 4/4s display with it's cool or warm tones. Depending which one you got. It would be like someone saying, "I can't handle those tones, just way too distracting. I don't want it." That's the kind of picky you would have to be to not like the display. You can line up a group of displays together and point out all the differences. In the end if they're all amazing, you won't notice the differences when they are not side to side.

Vegastouch
Jun 24, 2012, 01:37 PM
I chose not to overcharge. I priced it at a little under how much you would pay at att with tax. Sold for 565. I clear abou 530 after shipping. I'm satisfied.

The Burned upgrade is whatever. I get full upgrade pricing on any phone other than the iPhone twice a year so there was no point in trying to save it.

How? Through AT&T? How does that work?

T-Mobile has those value plans now which are cheaper rates than a regular two year contract and you can upgrade whenever you want but you must pay off your current phone first to get it.
You pay a cheaper downpayment and then $20 a month for the phone(unless you want to pay it all up front...which i dont)

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 01:42 PM
How? Through AT&T? How does that work?

T-Mobile has those value plans now which are cheaper rates than a regular two year contract and you can upgrade whenever you want but you must pay off your current phone first to get it.
You pay a cheaper downpayment and then $20 a month for the phone(unless you want to pay it all up front...which i dont)

Yup through AT&T. Not sure how. Might be the terms that were negotiated with the company and AT&T when we (family) signed the contract. We also have it in our contract that we can terminate any line regardless of the duration without any ETF. We have yet to use that except once so that point is moot if we never leave att. lol.

ChazUK
Jun 24, 2012, 01:44 PM

This is a good comparison video between the LG and GSIII http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ps1iQn7dI&feature=player_detailpage#t=218s

There does seem to be a hint of blue on the GSIII but we don't know what brightness levels they are both at. I've been using AMOLED screens since the Nexus One so it doesn't bother me.

I did discover an annoyance this weekend using the stock browser, the fact that Samsung have a separate brightness setting for the browser. I've been using Chrome on mine since getting it but wanted to give Samsung's browser a whirl.

I'll stick with Chrome for now.

mbell1975
Jun 24, 2012, 01:49 PM
This is a good comparison video between the LG and GSIII http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ps1iQn7dI&feature=player_detailpage#t=218s

There does seem to be a hint of blue on the GSIII but we don't know what brightness levels they are both at. I've been using AMOLED screens since the Nexus One so it doesn't bother me.

I did discover an annoyance this weekend using the stock browser, the fact that Samsung have a separate brightness setting for the browser. I've been using Chrome on mine since getting it but wanted to give Samsung's browser a whirl.

whoever took that pic is an idiot. The LG is on max brightness and the S3 is intentionally dimmed. Gotta love fanboys

0m3ga
Jun 24, 2012, 01:49 PM
The iP4s are antiques in the digital world. The iFaithful will defend it to their last breath and like any religious discussion, you can't convince a christian there is no god.

BTW, the S3 really is amazing. The capabilities it has built in put the iphone to shame.

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 01:51 PM
The iP4s are antiques in the digital world. The iFaithful will defend it to their last breath and like any religious discussion, you can't convince a christian there is no god.

BTW, the S3 really is amazing. The capabilities it has built in put the iphone to shame.

i love antiques! :)

imeth
Jun 24, 2012, 01:52 PM
Too big and bulky for my taste, plus the galaxy s4 will be out probably in couple months. Also AndroidOS is horrible. I played with the HTC EVO LTE with what they had in it (Ice Cream Sandwich) too much work. I want an OS that is fast simple and nice to look at. Apple>>> all I'm proud of being called an "iSheep"

Vegastouch
Jun 24, 2012, 01:53 PM
Looking at that video, the LG looks actually a bit taller than the GS3.

imeth
Jun 24, 2012, 01:56 PM
Funny how iphone 4s came out last October.. Samsung s3 should go up against iphone 5. Plus to compare the latest apple phone to this new big bulk of a device just shows that apple product are so great and popular

Vegastouch
Jun 24, 2012, 01:59 PM
Funny how iphone 4s came out last October.. Samsung s3 should go up against iphone 5. Plus to compare the latest apple phone to this new big bulk of a device just shows that apple product are so great and popular

It should, but then the GS3 will be 5-6 months old when Oct rolls around so here we are comparing the same thing. I guess its ok to do that though, ....right? :rolleyes:

In anycase, i suspect the GS3 will still be superior to the IP5.

ChazUK
Jun 24, 2012, 02:08 PM
whoever took that pic is an idiot. The LG is on max brightness and the S3 is intentionally dimmed. Gotta love fanboys

That was only a screengrab from the video but here are two comparisons of my SGSIII taken next to my Asus Transformer Prime - both on maximum brightness.

Click to enlarge
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/IMG_20120624_195638.jpg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/IMG_20120624_195738.jpg

DanteMann
Jun 24, 2012, 02:09 PM

Ok so the S2 came out April/2011, the 4S came out Oct/2011. 6 months later. I'm sure you and many who feel the GS3/4S comparison to be an unfair one had no issues comparing the S2 and 4S right? Of course you didn't.
So now again we have the S3 out and the next iphone will be out 6 months later, and again you'll have no problem comparing a new phone with a 6 month old GS3.
One thing I noticed with the blind follower is, you don't like benchmark specs, unless it's in your favor, you don't like PPI specs unless it's in your favor, dang you don't like comparisons in general, unless it's in your favor. :rolleyes:

Oh and please tell me how you know the GS4 will be out in a couple of months. From the Galaxy S history, it seems to run year to year.

ChazUK
Jun 24, 2012, 02:12 PM
Too big and bulky for my taste, plus the galaxy s4 will be out probably in couple months.

LOLNO.

The Galaxy S flagships are on longer release cycle than that.
Galaxy S GT-I9000 June 2010
Galaxy S II GT-I9100 April 2011
Galaxy S III GT-I9300 May 2012

Technarchy
Jun 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
That was only a screengrab from the video but here are two comparisons of my SGSIII taken next to my Asus Transformer Prime - both on maximum brightness.

Click to enlarge
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/IMG_20120624_195638.jpg http://dl.dropbox.com/u/991312/IMG_20120624_195738.jpg

AMOLED being dim and blue is not a revelation.

http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/articles/57467-gallery/image-comparison-3-centered-text.jpg

My Nexus S 4G, GSII Sprint and GSII AT&T all had those same dank displays.

I bought into the AMOLED hype about "colors that pop" and power savings until I finally saw the iPhone 4S side by side with my phone. It was startling how much brighter and sharper the iPhone was.

blairh
Jun 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
See, thats just soo irrelevent to me that it never entered my mind til i saw you mention it. Just thought it was nitpicky. I prefered to not have a physical home button because they tend to wear out but ill be ok with it.

The LG you posted, how big is that screen? If you mentioned it, i dont recall.

I think you're honestly just stating your opinion versus real life experience. When people mention that these larger phones are impossible or very difficult for one handed operation, what they really mean is that the height of the screen makes using it quite difficult. So when you make the home button that low, it's a huge deal. It means your thumb is going to have to reach just a touch more down however that little more could in fact be a big deal. This really isn't a thing to argue. It's a real world use factor. Whether or not it will be an issue for me, you, or others, it's a case by case basis. I do feel that the SIII would be better if that home button were centered (and I've read this gripe over at XDA by SIII users) but again I won't know for sure until I demo.

I prefer a physical home button. If anything for the fact that I can wake the phone by pressing said button.

The LG phone I'm referencing is the Optimus 4X HD (http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG-Optimus-4X-HD-Review_id3059). It is a touch shorter and less wide than the SIII. It has a 4.7" screen and a slightly more compact design compared to the SIII. It also has a really nice textured back and like the One X an IPS panel. And, a MicroSD slot.

chiefpavvy
Jun 24, 2012, 03:04 PM

Yep, they sure are antiques. 35.06 million units in Q2...

It's a shame this board is being overrun with fAndroid trolls.

blairh
Jun 24, 2012, 03:12 PM
It's actually a better place for it ergonomically speaking. And this is what the design of this phone is all about. It's the most comfortable phone I've ever held. I hope they stick with the curves of this phone for upcoming designs. The same way a lot of people feel the 3Gs to be more comfortable than the current iphone.

If you restrict yourself to being able to use a phone with only one hand then you've easily restricted yourself to a 3.5-4.0 inch phone max. No need to look anywhere else.

Honestly, don't think you'll have a problem with the screen's cool tones. In fact, I don't know a single person who thought the whites were blue. You have to be extremely picky to not like the display. Just look at the iPhone 4/4s display with it's cool or warm tones. Depending which one you got. It would be like someone saying, "I can't handle those tones, just way too distracting. I don't want it." That's the kind of picky you would have to be to not like the display. You can line up a group of displays together and point out all the differences. In the end if they're all amazing, you won't notice the differences when they are not side to side.

How is having the home button lower than center better ergonomically? It forces you to reach your thumb lower.

Your screen size quote is absolutely not true. I've been able to use 4.3" and 4.5" smartphones one handed with no problem. I think it can be a little dicey when you hit 4.7" and 4.8". Hence why I believe the more centered the home button is, the better.

I don't think it takes an 'extremely picky' person to dislike (potentially) the SIII screen. I know a lot of people who strongly prefer an IPS screen over Amoled for their smartphone. I won't know for sure about the SIII screen until it's available locally.

----------

I've seen that vid. Spent some time yesterday watching 4X HD YouTube vids. Here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i7wQhyF0oE&feature=plcp) is another great comparison video. It's in Italian (which I speak too).

0m3ga
Jun 24, 2012, 03:17 PM

And what does this have to do with anything. So all Apple iphones from the 3gs to iPhone4s sold to 35 million people. And Samsung sold 43 million of it's smart phones in the same quarter. So what?

The problem with your post is, if someone wants an iPhone, they have no choice. It's an iP4s or nothing. With HTC, LG, Motorola or Samsung, people have a lot of choices. And even with all those choices, including free phones, over 10 million people bought the Samsung S3 on pre-order. And it has been all sold out, which is why we had delays in both the US and Canada. This is the most successful phone in history. How you like them Apples?

By the way, I probably own more Apple products than you do, so if I am a fAndroid, what would that make you? But when it comes to the phones, I don't blindly follow and buy tech that is outdated.

mbell1975
Jun 24, 2012, 03:47 PM
And what does this have to do with anything. So all Apple iphones from the 3gs to iPhone4s sold to 35 million people. And Samsung sold 43 million of it's smart phones in the same quarter. So what?

The problem with your post is, if someone wants an iPhone, they have no choice. It's an iP4s or nothing. With HTC, LG, Motorola or Samsung, people have a lot of choices. And even with all those choices, including free phones, over 10 million people bought the Samsung S3 on pre-order. And it has been all sold out, which is why we had delays in both the US and Canada. This is the most successful phone in history. How you like them Apples?

By the way, I probably own more Apple products than you do, so if I am a fAndroid, what would that make you? But when it comes to the phones, I don't blindly follow and buy tech that is outdated.

Couldn't have said it better. Plus, look at the join dates of these supposed "fandroids". Many have been here for years, they just finally realized there are better phones out there then the iPhone :)

nooaah
Jun 24, 2012, 03:48 PM

I own a ton of Apple products and will own an S3 soon. However, sales numbers aren't the big measure compared to revenue and profit. Apple is just destroying in this department. Also, the lack of choice in phone variation = convenience for the average consumer. It may not be desirable for people like us who enjoy technology and like to tinker with their purchases, but it's a solid business plan that has proven to be wildly successful.

matttye
Jun 24, 2012, 04:03 PM

You call other people trolls yet you're always using the word "fAndroid" and generally trying to start arguments. :confused:

Vegastouch
Jun 24, 2012, 04:17 PM
I think you're honestly just stating your opinion versus real life experience. When people mention that these larger phones are impossible or very difficult for one handed operation, what they really mean is that the height of the screen makes using it quite difficult. So when you make the home button that low, it's a huge deal. It means your thumb is going to have to reach just a touch more down however that little more could in fact be a big deal. This really isn't a thing to argue. It's a real world use factor. Whether or not it will be an issue for me, you, or others, it's a case by case basis. I do feel that the SIII would be better if that home button were centered (and I've read this gripe over at XDA by SIII users) but again I won't know for sure until I demo.

I prefer a physical home button. If anything for the fact that I can wake the phone by pressing said button.

The LG phone I'm referencing is the Optimus 4X HD (http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/LG-Optimus-4X-HD-Review_id3059). It is a touch shorter and less wide than the SIII. It has a 4.7" screen and a slightly more compact design compared to the SIII. It also has a really nice textured back and like the One X an IPS panel. And, a MicroSD slot.

Huge deal? I dont see how it is even a little bit of a deal. I mean we are talking about maybe having to move your thumb a bit down....or not. That isnt some huge life changing deal imo. Now losing your remote to your TV....now that is a huge deal, this isnt :p

Anyways like i said, the size of the phone might be my only issue as i dont want a huge phone and imo the Note is too big and i wouldnt consider that one. This one will be smaller and im sure it will be ok, but damn i hope they dont get any bigger than this. I think the size of the One X is fine and i do believe the GS3 is slightly taller.

Looks like the LG is slightly taller too in that video.

EDIT*
Just looked it up. The LG HD is 5.21" tall and 2.68" wide, ...nice
GS3 is 5.38" tall, 2.78" wide
One X is 5.29" tall, 2.75" wide

Id be very apprehensive to buy a LG phone though. I havent found any LG stuff to be that great.

batting1000
Jun 24, 2012, 04:20 PM

How is the iPhone outdated?

blairh
Jun 24, 2012, 04:36 PM
Huge deal? I dont see how it is even a little bit of a deal. I mean we are talking about maybe having to move your thumb a bit down....or not. That isnt some huge life changing deal imo. Now losing your remote to your TV....now that is a huge deal, this isnt.

Anyways like i said, the size of the phone might be my only issue as i dont want a huge phone and imo the Note is too big and i wouldnt consider that one. This one will be smaller and im sure it will be ok, but damn i hope they dont get any bigger than this. I think the size of the One X is fine and i do believe the GS3 is slightly taller.

Looks like the LG is slightly taller too in that video.

EDIT*
Just looked it up. The LG HD is 5.21" tall and 2.68" wide, ...nice
GS3 is 5.38" tall, 2.78" wide
One X is 5.29" tall, 2.75" wide

Id be very apprehensive to buy a LG phone though. I havent found any LG stuff to be that great.

Like I said, I won't know until I handle the SIII. We are going in circles. I do believe, having not handled this device, that navigating a 4.8" screen vertically can be tough, and lowering the home button could be an issue. That's all I'm getting at.

I personally like the compact shape of the LG more than the square One X and rounded SIII. However I cannot speak to the quality of the 4X HD. If I can get one unlocked I might.

matttye
Jun 24, 2012, 04:39 PM
Like I said, I won't know until I handle the SIII. We are going in circles. I do believe, having not handled this device, that navigating a 4.8" screen vertically can be tough, and lowering the home button could be an issue. That's all I'm getting at.

I personally like the compact shape of the LG more than the square One X and rounded SIII. However I cannot speak to the quality of the 4X HD. If I can get one unlocked I might.

The home button is really easy to reach IMO, but the top left corner of the screen is a real stretch.

Samsung in their infinite wisdom put the refresh button in the top left corner of the browser. Luckily I use Chrome anyway :p

Vegastouch
Jun 24, 2012, 04:53 PM
The home button is really easy to reach IMO, but the top left corner of the screen is a real stretch.

Samsung in their infinite wisdom put the refresh button in the top left corner of the browser. Luckily I use Chrome anyway :p

Cant wait to try one this week. I never use Touchwiz. I always use Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher EX. But ill give TW another shot since they upgraded it.

Ill also have to decide which way to go w/T-Mobile. Value plan or Classic plan.

Gotta also say, i messed around with a Nokia lumia 710 yesterday with Windows 7.5 OS. Windows OS is always very responsive and is very fast. Im sure Windows 8 will be even better. They dont have enough Apps though but a very responsive OS which i like.

ChazUK
Jun 24, 2012, 04:58 PM
Cant wait to try one this week. I never use Touchwiz. I always use Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher EX. But ill give TW another shot since they upgraded it.

Ill also have to decide which way to go w/T-Mobile. Value plan or Classic plan.

Be sure to check out Nova or Apex launcher.

Gives the phone that stock ICS feel. :)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anddoes.launcher

matttye
Jun 24, 2012, 04:58 PM

Love Apex :)

Sticking with stock for now but when I root I'll use Apex.

Vegastouch
Jun 24, 2012, 05:01 PM

Thanks, will do that. Both look good. Didnt know there were yet even more to choose from. Gotta love that about Android. Never tried Go launcher and didnt like Zeam.

ChazUK
Jun 24, 2012, 05:02 PM

Once the last few niggles are worked out, I'll be on CyanogenMod9 permanently. Touchwiz is really good this time around tho, no doubt about it.

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 05:17 PM

second vote for apex. First thing i do when i get an android phone is to get a stock ics theme, until roms come out at least.

richard371
Jun 24, 2012, 09:14 PM
Best Buys price for the phone is ridiculous. I've asked them to price match with ATT before (Nexus and Note)and they say no they cannot because it is a new hot released phone. All BB cares about is the kick backs for the contracts. Wait 30 days until the dust settles, return it and ask for a manager if they do not give you the $150 back return it and get it at an ATT store.

PacificBeach
Jun 24, 2012, 10:16 PM
Today I tried the SGS3 quad core and it convinced me of buying one next week. My iPhone 4 now seems a bit outdated, specially screen and keyboard.
What do u not like about iOS keyboard? just curious:confused:;)

ndpuckhead
Jun 24, 2012, 10:43 PM
Best Buys price for the phone is ridiculous. I've asked them to price match with ATT before (Nexus and Note)and they say no they cannot because it is a new hot released phone. All BB cares about is the kick backs for the contracts. Wait 30 days until the dust settles, return it and ask for a manager if they do not give you the $150 back return it and get it at an ATT store.

Best Buys price for everything is ridiculous

ixodes
Jun 24, 2012, 10:47 PM
I like Apex for several reasons. The primary one is it's speed. Of all the different ones I've tried, Apex is by far the fastest, smoothest & most consistent.

onthecouchagain
Jun 24, 2012, 10:51 PM

Answering for myself... I'm also a huge critic of the iOS keyboard. It constantly misses keys, which lead to typos, which lead to inadvertent auto corrects. Lack of suggestion bar and lack of choice to choose which words the dictionary remembers and doesn't remember. No long press for numbers and/or common secondary symbols (some Android keyboards even let you customize which symbols go with which letter).

But mainly, the biggest problem is that it misses keys. It just doesn't seem to be able to keep up when you're thumbing really fast. I constantly get "hy there" or "he there", for e.g.

I've always said the keyboard is one of the things iOS is in dire need of updating. I mean, it gave birth to the whole "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction" phenomenon online.

nooaah
Jun 24, 2012, 11:02 PM
Answering for myself... I'm also a huge critic of the iOS keyboard. It constantly misses keys, which lead to typos, which lead to inadvertent auto corrects. Lack of suggestion bar and lack of choice to choose which words the dictionary remembers and doesn't remember. No long press for numbers and/or common secondary symbols (some Android keyboards even let you customize which symbols go with which letter).

But mainly, the biggest problem is that it misses keys. It just doesn't seem to be able to keep up when you're thumbing really fast. I constantly get "hy there" or "he there", for e.g.

I've always said the keyboard is one of the things iOS is in dire need of updating. I mean, it gave birth to the whole "Damn You iPhone Auto Correction" phenomenon online.

This is actually what inspired me to give the S3 a chance. I was hoping a bigger screen would mesh with my fingers better.

0m3ga
Jun 25, 2012, 12:00 AM

If you ever used Swiftkey, you would understand how bad the iOS keyboard really is! Swiftkey 3 has spoiled me. Hate using my iPad to type anything now. You have to go slow or risk a missed letter or space bar tap.

matttye
Jun 25, 2012, 12:48 AM
Once the last few niggles are worked out, I'll be on CyanogenMod9 permanently. Touchwiz is really good this time around tho, no doubt about it.

Yeah touchwiz just seems so smooth this time around. I'm wondering if there's hardware acceleration that I'll lose if I switch to stock.

matttye
Jun 25, 2012, 12:49 AM
If you ever used Swiftkey, you would understand how bad the iOS keyboard really is! Swiftkey 3 has spoiled me. Hate using my iPad to type anything now. You have to go slow or risk a missed letter or space bar tap.

I own both and can type much faster using swiftkey even on a much smaller screen.

The auto complete feature works amazingly well.

DodgeV83
Jun 25, 2012, 02:13 AM
And even with all those choices, including free phones, over 10 million people bought the Samsung S3 on pre-order.

10 million orders by telephone carriers is not equal to 10 million people buying the phone. Sprint alone ordered 30+ million iPhones last October.

Twixt
Jun 25, 2012, 03:03 AM
How is the iPhone outdated?

Good but too small screen, and nothing really exciting inside...

paulro
Jun 25, 2012, 04:06 AM
Just to add some much needed balance to this debate...

I bought an S3 at the end of May, and had it for 3 weeks. It's a really good phone, and the OS is fine once you get used to it.

But I did feel compelled to sell it at the weekend at get an iPhone again, and I have to say that I'm pleased to be back.

The iPhone OS is still a quicker and smoother experience than Android ICS in my opinion. Despite what many are saying in this thread, I actually found that I've been able to text a lot quicker than I could on the S3. This, I admit, is probably partly due to my familiarity with iOS.

What I found with the S3, was that there was slight lag with opening some apps, and the screen refresh rate with screens containing widgets was noticable. You never get that with iOS, though widgets are a useful addition to have.

The iPhone screen is the thing I'm most pleased to have again though. Whilst the S3 has a good screen in low light conditions, it's really bad outdoors. To the point that it's of no use in sunny conditions. I'm sure S3 fans will try to convince themselves otherwise, but on maximum brightness, the S3 screen is too dim when used outdoors. In contrast, the iPhone screen is bright, sharp and perfectly usable in the sun. I really wanted to like the S3, but the screen was a deal breaker for me.

I was also in two minds about whether it was too big in the end. The screen's a nice usable size for web browsing, playing games and watching videos, but I did feel a bit self conscious 'getting it out' in public, especially for making calls. It does take up a sizeable space in your trouser/jean pocket too. Would I prefer the iPhone to have a slightly larger display ? Yes, a slightly larger display would be good.

Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely recommend as S3 as a great phone. But in conclusion, I prefer the size, bright and sharp screen, apps choice and smoother OS of the iphone.

monkeylui
Jun 25, 2012, 05:29 AM
10 million orders by telephone carriers is not equal to 10 million people buying the phone. Sprint alone ordered 30+ million iPhones last October.

No. These were actual pre-orders by people, humans.

0m3ga
Jun 25, 2012, 08:01 AM

Actually, Samsung only produces sales data for shipments to carriers. They never gve out sales data to individuals. This is because in the US, unless you buy an international version of the phone, you have no choice but to buy through a carrier or bb, radio shack, whatever.

That being said, orders are throgh the roof for this phone and Samsung is having trouble keeping up with demand. That's why we see delays.

So in this case, even though we have 10+ million shipped units, they are "sold" units that aren't sitting on shelves. This is an unprecedented demand.

batting1000
Jun 25, 2012, 08:58 AM
Good but too small screen, and nothing really exciting inside...

Nothing exciting inside? It has a dual-core processor and an 8 megapixel camera, something most phones still have today. Sure it doesn't have 1GB of RAM, but it doesn't seem to need it. It's funny because the iPhone has a dual-core processor and runs buttery smooth, but even some of the quad-core Android devices with 1GB of RAM still lag, yet people boast that quad-core is so amazing.

Rebecca341
Jun 25, 2012, 09:20 AM
I'll be upgrading from iPhone 4S to the Galaxy S 3. I want a bigger phone already. http://www.**********/zamz1.jpghttp://www.**********/ht2.jpghttp://www.atdu.info/jh88.jpghttp://www.atdu.info/dh3.jpg

blairh
Jun 25, 2012, 09:30 AM
The iPhone screen is the thing I'm most pleased to have again though. Whilst the S3 has a good screen in low light conditions, it's really bad outdoors. To the point that it's of no use in sunny conditions. I'm sure S3 fans will try to convince themselves otherwise, but on maximum brightness, the S3 screen is too dim when used outdoors. In contrast, the iPhone screen is bright, sharp and perfectly usable in the sun. I really wanted to like the S3, but the screen was a deal breaker for me.

I was also in two minds about whether it was too big in the end. The screen's a nice usable size for web browsing, playing games and watching videos, but I did feel a bit self conscious 'getting it out' in public, especially for making calls.

'Perfectly usable' is pushing it. I think the iPhone screen is borderline usable in the sun. I still tend to cover my screen with my hand if possible in direct sunlight. The SIII must be even worse then in direct sunlight.

I find it really odd that you were self conscious about using a large phone in public. That would honestly be the last thing on my mind.

BaldiMac
Jun 25, 2012, 09:33 AM

The actual claim was 9 million preorders by global carriers. Not by people, humans.

Actually, Samsung only produces sales data for shipments to carriers. They never gve out sales data to individuals. This is because in the US, unless you buy an international version of the phone, you have no choice but to buy through a carrier or bb, radio shack, whatever.

Samsung doesn't generally release shipped or sold data for smartphones.

That being said, orders are throgh the roof for this phone and Samsung is having trouble keeping up with demand. That's why we see delays.

So in this case, even though we have 10+ million shipped units, they are "sold" units that aren't sitting on shelves. This is an unprecedented demand.

Unprecedented? Only if you don't count the iPhone.

And we don't have 10+ million shipped units. The S3 isn't expected to surpass 10 million units until sometime in July.

http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-10-million-sales-july-97252/

And that's despite the nebulous claims of 9 million preorders.

onthecouchagain
Jun 25, 2012, 10:11 AM
This is actually what inspired me to give the S3 a chance. I was hoping a bigger screen would mesh with my fingers better.

From what I've read, the stock SGIII keyboard is pretty poor too. Luckily, there are great alternatives out there. For thumbing, I recommend the stock ICS, Smartkeyboard, or Swiftkey. For swiping, I'd try Swype.

Either way, you'll find something good.

paulro
Jun 25, 2012, 10:14 AM
'Perfectly usable' is pushing it. I think the iPhone screen is borderline usable in the sun. I still tend to cover my screen with my hand if possible in direct sunlight. The SIII must be even worse then in direct sunlight.

I find it really odd that you were self conscious about using a large phone in public. That would honestly be the last thing on my mind.

By perfectly usable, I mean that on an iPhone, you can see the icons, bring up the camera app, take a picture, compose a text, make a call etc etc.

Without any exaggeration, you cannot see the screen well enough on an S3 if the sun's out to do any of the above easily.

blairh
Jun 25, 2012, 10:27 AM
By perfectly usable, I mean that on an iPhone, you can see the icons, bring up the camera app, take a picture, compose a text, make a call etc etc.

Without any exaggeration, you cannot see the screen well enough on an S3 if the sun's out to do any of the above easily.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

ndpuckhead
Jun 25, 2012, 10:35 AM

That's a major concern of mine since I do a lot of fishing and other outdoor activities. I'm going to Verizon today, its looking like an iphone more and more.
I just wish it had 4G.

aldo82
Jun 25, 2012, 10:44 AM
I'm surprising myself in being genuinely interested in the Galaxy S3. I've aways ignored Android in the past and have been happy with iOS, always defening apple against the apple-haters! But the 4S didn't really get me going and for the first time I didn't upgrade. Then I had every intention to get the new ipad but again it didn't feel like a big enough change from the ipad I had so again I skipped the upgrade. Now with what's been announced for iOS6 I'm disappointed and find myself looking elsewhere.

I appreciate as an OS becomes more mature upgrades will be less significant but having checked out Android ICS I wonder whether iOS is now lagging Android which is something I never thought I'd say! Whilst the fact you can change themes and have more customisation on Android might not be that bigger deal for some, I think the ability to change keyboard or use a different browser or different email client for example is really important and apple have got it wrong by not allowing this. I feel the iphone 5 has to be something big as apple are now behind the game. I feel they've been resting on their laurels a bit and that is now starting to loose them some customers...

So, I'm very close to getting an S3. The only thing stopping me is as someone with a mild vision impairment I like how iOS offers screen zoom (using 3 fingers) as an OS wide option. This is something Android doesn't have. I only use it occasionally and don't need things like screen readers etc. Having played around with an S3, fonts are large and there are options to change the system font size so maybe it'll work for me. iOS has some small fonts (app store for example) with no option to change. Anyone any comments on font size/legibility for android vs iOS?

I feel I might need to try Android just to see what its all about and the S3 seems like a good way to do so!

0m3ga
Jun 25, 2012, 11:11 AM
The actual claim was 9 million preorders by global carriers. Not by people, humans.

Samsung doesn't generally release shipped or sold data for smartphones.

Unprecedented? Only if you don't count the iPhone.

And that's despite the nebulous claims of 9 million preorders.

Well, if Samsung claims are nebulous, then I have a tough time believing Apple sold millions of pre-orders for the 4s. i know you have a tough time believing another phone can produce the same hype, but the facts are this is an amazing phone and millions want it.

And here is a claim for you from mypersonal experience. My own pre-ordered S3 got slightly delayed because there were so many damn pre-orders. All of Canada got delayed a week. How's that for 'nebulous'?

----------

How many S3's have you used outside? I own both an iP4 and a S3 and can tell you that both are equally hard to see in direct sunlight. in other words, either one is difficult to see without shading tHe phone.

mbell1975
Jun 25, 2012, 11:32 AM
Nothing exciting inside? It has a dual-core processor and an 8 megapixel camera, something most phones still have today. Sure it doesn't have 1GB of RAM, but it doesn't seem to need it. It's funny because the iPhone has a dual-core processor and runs buttery smooth, but even some of the quad-core Android devices with 1GB of RAM still lag, yet people boast that quad-core is so amazing.

There is zero lag on the quad core S3 and its benchmarks put the 4s to shame.

Fireblade
Jun 25, 2012, 11:47 AM
Having my S3 for 2 weeks now, and all I can say is WOW!
For my needs its really close to perfect.
IOS6 was so underwhelming, and if the iPhone5 doesnt get some killer-features, which I doubt, they will lose lots of customers.

It is really getting hard for iDiehards defending their oldschool iPhones these days.

OneMike
Jun 25, 2012, 12:01 PM
I've been on this site for years and I know 9.9/10 any response not in favor of Apple will be looked at negatively or within the last year or so get the down vote.

That said, I've been using iPhones from the original 4GB model in 2007 through the 4S since launch up until a week ago or so when I got the S3.

That said, I am enjoying my S3 a lot more than I enjoyed any iPhone. Why?

In a nutshell android is more open. iOS talks about being PC and it has come a long way. However, when I want to add or remove content it's a lot more straight forward with the S3 and typically can be done on the device.

With iOS I usually have to get on my main computer or remote login to it for simple tasks.

I also have found myself printing a lot more pictures in the last few days by just being able to go into a store and pop my card from the phone in.

Apple works great with other apple products, android so far is working great with everything.

I don't see one better than the other. iOS and Android can both be great in their own ways.

At first, the S3 was just going to be my toy until the next iPhone came out. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm going to switch back to iOS anymore.

One thing I will say though is I feel if I drop my S3, it's going to break into 8 billion pieces. iPhone build quality is definitely better.

matttye
Jun 25, 2012, 12:01 PM

S3 screen is so much clearer than the iPhone in the sun, you may have a dud.

nefan65
Jun 25, 2012, 12:03 PM
Having my S3 for 2 weeks now, and all I can say is WOW!
For my needs its really close to perfect.
IOS6 was so underwhelming, and if the iPhone5 doesnt get some killer-features, which I doubt, they will lose lots of customers.

It is really getting hard for iDiehards defending their oldschool iPhones these days.

Opinion. The same was said when the 4s came out. "Apple better release something epic, or they'll lose a lot of customers!". Didn't happen...

Oh, and if you refer to people as iDiehards, etc. you lose all credibility.

nooaah
Jun 25, 2012, 12:24 PM
Opinion. The same was said when the 4s came out. "Apple better release something epic, or they'll lose a lot of customers!". Didn't happen...

It's an easy way for him to dismiss anyone who disagrees with his opinion. I really don't get the need to have religious loyalty toward any company; especially if you don't work for them or you're not invested in them.

----------

From what I've read, the stock SGIII keyboard is pretty poor too. Luckily, there are great alternatives out there. For thumbing, I recommend the stock ICS, Smartkeyboard, or Swiftkey. For swiping, I'd try Swype.

Either way, you'll find something good.

Yup, that's what I've read. I still haven't found any sort of Jailbreak alternative for the iPhone. It's been really disappointing.

batting1000
Jun 25, 2012, 12:26 PM
its benchmarks put the 4s to shame.

I wouldn't say that...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1390806

nefan65
Jun 25, 2012, 12:30 PM
I would say that...

Uh Oh...now you went and confused him with facts. :rolleyes:

Sensamic
Jun 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
Its been now 4 days since I got the SGS3 and everyday I like it even more.

More impressions:

- The LED light is awesome to know when you have new notifications. It has different colors for calls, sms, etc.

- I was afraid of syncing my contacts with Facebook and all but its great. I can see their status and updates right inside contacts. And pictures too.

- On iOS I though I never needed a file browser. Now, Im using the stock file browser everyday for hundreds of things. Its essential. Same thing goes for widgets! I though they were not that important, but now... I love the news widgets (NNC, NYT, USATODAY, CNN), weather, Facebook, Twitter, Contacts (to tap to call or sms directly to one person via the desktop), google search (using my voice to search anything or do stuff), google reader (awesome widget to read your feeds!), etc. There are soooooooo many widgets, and all of them are useful.

- I tried Nova Launcher and it has an awesome feature: a desktop icon for multitasking, just like the one stock in Galaxy Nexus. That way I don't need to hold the hardware home button and its faster and nicer. Still, I went back to TouchWiz because I like it much more. It has everything I need and is nicer.

- Android uses a lot of RAM. Still, the phone has no lag or slow downs. It manages the RAM kind of the same way iOS does I think.

- Battery is awesome. One of the main reasons I went with this phone instead of others like HOX. With normal use you can get a full day easy. Right now its been four days of intensive use and I can notice its a big battery.

- After 4 days I know it would be IMPOSSIBLE to go back to a smaller screen. 4.8 is really great. 3.5 would be a nightmare now.

- I don't know why people say android apps are bad. 90% of the ones I have are excellent in design and use. Most apps are just the same that iOS. I even like them better because I have much more screen space to view stuff and write. On 3.5 you just can't use iMovie or Pages. 4.8 makes Facebook, twitter, videos, music, web and more a better experience.

By they way, today I just got my first software update. 24MB. Over the air.

matttye
Jun 25, 2012, 12:36 PM
I would say that...

He said quad core S3; the US is a dual core.

batting1000
Jun 25, 2012, 12:41 PM
He said quad core S3; the US is a dual core.

Performance can't be too far off, after all the dual-core S4 is right up there with the Tegra 3.

comatose81
Jun 25, 2012, 12:43 PM
So people still enjoy arguing with anonymous message board posters over whose purchase from a multi-billion dollar company is more justified?

Cool.

sentinelsx
Jun 25, 2012, 12:47 PM
So people still enjoy arguing with anonymous message board posters over whose purchase from a multi-billion dollar company is more justified?

Cool.

First world problems ftw :P

cardinalryan
Jun 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
I'm not even sure why there needs to be a thread on this; it's not even debatable, the SGIII is so far ahead of iPhone it makes the iPhone 4s look like a Fisher Price toy.

Anyone who says their iPhone is better than the SGSIII has either, A) Never seen a SGSIII (which is entirely possible since they are a bit scarce right now) or B) Doesn't know tech.

Now, I'm not saying the iPhone isn't best for you...it may well be, but if it is, then you prefer using an antiquated device, that's all.

matttye
Jun 25, 2012, 12:51 PM
Performance can't be too far off, after all the dual-core S4 is right up there with the Tegra 3.

The quad core Exynos pisses all over Tegra 3, and the quad core international version also has a vastly superior GPU.

nooaah
Jun 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
I'm not even sure why there needs to be a thread on this; it's not even debatable, the SGIII is so far ahead of iPhone it makes the iPhone 4s look like a Fisher Price toy.

Anyone who says their iPhone is better than the SGSIII has either, A) Never seen a SGSIII (which is entirely possible since they are a bit scarce right now) or B) Doesn't know tech.

Now, I'm not saying the iPhone isn't best for you...it may well be, but if it is, then you prefer using an antiquated device, that's all.

Sorry to break it to you, but most people don't know tech and just want their phone to play music, send texts, and browse the web with minimal effort.

cardinalryan
Jun 25, 2012, 01:17 PM
Sorry to break it to you, but most people don't know tech and just want their phone to play music, send texts, and browse the web with minimal effort.
You aren't breaking any news to me, and my statement still stands on it's own.

BaldiMac
Jun 25, 2012, 01:28 PM
Well, if Samsung claims are nebulous, then I have a tough time believing Apple sold millions of pre-orders for the 4s. i know you have a tough time believing another phone can produce the same hype, but the facts are this is an amazing phone and millions want it.

And here is a claim for you from mypersonal experience. My own pre-ordered S3 got slightly delayed because there were so many damn pre-orders. All of Canada got delayed a week. How's that for 'nebulous'?

I like how you latched onto one word and ignored the actual argument. I called Samsung's preorder claim "nebulous" because it has been continuously misreported and misinterpreted (by design, in my opinion). I don't doubt that they had 9 million preorders from global carriers. It' s extremely impressive for Samsung. It just doesn't come close in actual sales to the iPhone.

9 million preordered, but they aren't expected to sell 10 million until July. Two months after launch. Not quite the same hype. But it is an amazing phone and millions want it.

blairh
Jun 25, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'm not even sure why there needs to be a thread on this.....

It's good to have an iPhone vs SIII thread in this forum. I don't think the SIII is the clear superior choice for everybody. Yes, spec wise it's almost no contest. But the SIII will be too big for some and iOS will still be preferred by others. My female cousin in Milan just wrote me an email saying that she did not like the look and feel of the SIII.

I like this thread very much. Excited to share my SIII impressions once it's released in the States.

batting1000
Jun 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
The quad core Exynos pisses all over Tegra 3, and the quad core international version also has a vastly superior GPU.

Meh, whatever. It's like god only knows what you people do with your phones that you need a quad-core processor or the best GPU.

matttye
Jun 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
Meh, whatever. It's like god only knows what you people do with your phones that you need a quad-core processor or the best GPU.

Texting, calls, web browsing, listening to music, taking/browsing photos.. that's what I use mine for :p

I don't "need" a quad core phone, but it's nice to have finally found an Android phone that's smoother than my iPad 2!

The most graphically intensive game I play is probably Zynga Poker :D

mbell1975
Jun 25, 2012, 02:57 PM

Ah yes, the old iPhone fanboy reaction once they realize they have inferior tech. I don't need all that anyways LOL. :rolleyes: I mean who needs fast processors, larger screens, 4G speeds, SD cards, removeable batteries right? I want my phone to stay with tech and hardware that's years old until Apple decides I am ready for change!

aztooh
Jun 25, 2012, 03:07 PM
I've been on this site for years and I know 9.9/10 any response not in favor of Apple will be looked at negatively or within the last year or so get the down vote.

That said, I've been using iPhones from the original 4GB model in 2007 through the 4S since launch up until a week ago or so when I got the S3.

That said, I am enjoying my S3 a lot more than I enjoyed any iPhone. Why?

In a nutshell android is more open. iOS talks about being PC and it has come a long way. However, when I want to add or remove content it's a lot more straight forward with the S3 and typically can be done on the device.

With iOS I usually have to get on my main computer or remote login to it for simple tasks.

I also have found myself printing a lot more pictures in the last few days by just being able to go into a store and pop my card from the phone in.

Apple works great with other apple products, android so far is working great with everything.

I don't see one better than the other. iOS and Android can both be great in their own ways.

At first, the S3 was just going to be my toy until the next iPhone came out. Honestly, I'm not sure if I'm going to switch back to iOS anymore.

One thing I will say though is I feel if I drop my S3, it's going to break into 8 billion pieces. iPhone build quality is definitely better.

This is a joke, right? Did you swap the phones around in that last statement?

comatose81
Jun 25, 2012, 03:10 PM
Ah yes, the old iPhone fanboy reaction once they realize they have inferior tech. I don't need all that anyways LOL. :rolleyes: I mean who needs fast processors, larger screens, 4G speeds, SD cards, removeable batteries right? I want my phone to stay with tech and hardware that's years old until Apple decides I am ready for change!

I agree for the most part that people get defensive when their device has inferior tech, but some people (myself included) really don't want a larger screen. I like the size of the iPhone (and other phones with 3.x" screens). That's just me, though.

aztooh
Jun 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
I agree for the most part that people get defensive when their device has inferior tech, but some people (myself included) really don't want a larger screen. I like the size of the iPhone (and other phones with 3.x" screens). That's just me, though.

The size* of the iPhone isn't bad, but the fact that ~45% of it's face is bezel is terrible. The screen size could be improved without affecting the overall size much.

*While the overall size is okay, the ergonomics suck. This is why I'm an advocate of a redesign, featuring a larger screen and a better overall feel. Not to mention, something that's not all glass and shatters from a 2.5' drop...and yes, that happened to me.

0m3ga
Jun 25, 2012, 03:45 PM
I like how you latched onto one word and ignored the actual argument. I called Samsung's preorder claim "nebulous" because it has been continuously misreported and misinterpreted (by design, in my opinion). I don't doubt that they had 9 million preorders from global carriers. It' s extremely impressive for Samsung. It just doesn't come close in actual sales to the iPhone.

9 million preordered, but they aren't expected to sell 10 million until July. Two months after launch. Not quite the same hype. But it is an amazing phone and millions want it.

Normally, I would have agreed that there was little chance an Android device of any kind sold 9 million plus (actual sales, not shipments), before they went on sale in stores. But the fact that Qualcomm is having difficulty filling all the Samsung orders and there are delays (which personally effected me), I am inclined to believe what Samsung is reporting.

As for actual sales data, last quarter showed Samsung selling 8 million more phones than Apple and is likely to be about 15-20 million more than Apple this quarter, with the S2, S3 and Note making up the majority of those sales. And the follow on quarter will see a huge dip in iPhone sales as people will wait for the iP5 in October (which is normal).

Point is, this is probably the first Android based product that has produced as much hype as an Apple product release. Now the question is, will Samsung continue this trend?

OneMike
Jun 25, 2012, 04:01 PM
This is a joke, right? Did you swap the phones around in that last statement?

It does sound funny, but no, I meant it.

The S3 is plastic. The iPhone has metal.

BaldiMac
Jun 25, 2012, 04:01 PM
Normally, I would have agreed that there was little chance an Android device of any kind sold 9 million plus (actual sales, not shipments), before they went on sale in stores. But the fact that Qualcomm is having difficulty filling all the Samsung orders and there are delays (which personally effected me), I am inclined to believe what Samsung is reporting.

Again, Samsung did not sell 9 million S3's prior to release day. They did not claim to have sold 9 million S3's prior to release day. They claimed to have 9 million preorders from global carriers. Not pre-sales to consumers. They are not expected to reach 10 million sales until July. Two months after release.

As for actual sales data, last quarter showed Samsung selling 8 million more phones than Apple and is likely to be about 15-20 million more than Apple this quarter, with the S2, S3 and Note making up the majority of those sales. And the follow on quarter will see a huge dip in iPhone sales as people will wait for the iP5 in October (which is normal).

I like how you shifted the goalposts there. We were talking about S3 sales compared to iPhone sales. Not Samsung as a whole. Also, Samsung does not release actual sales data for their smartphones.

(And I would doubt that the S2, S3, and Note make up a majority of Samsung's sales. You are predicting close to 50 million Samsung smartphones sold. S3 is around 8 million this quarter. Note is averaging 1 million/month. That's 11 million. I doubt the S2 will sell 14 million this quarter.)

Point is, this is probably the first Android based product that has produced as much hype as an Apple product release. Now the question is, will Samsung continue this trend?

Except there is no objective basis for that claim. It's absolutely the best Android release to date. I don't think it is close to Apple's level. Samsung will probably sell around 15-20 million S3s in its first 3 months. Apple sold around double that in the 4S launch quarter.

matttye
Jun 25, 2012, 04:30 PM
Again, Samsung did not sell 9 million S3's prior to release day. They did not claim to have sold 9 million S3's prior to release day. They claimed to have 9 million preorders from global carriers. Not pre-sales to consumers. They are not expected to reach 10 million sales until July. Two months after release.

I like how you shifted the goalposts there. We were talking about S3 sales compared to iPhone sales. Not Samsung as a whole. Also, Samsung does not release actual sales data for their smartphones.

(And I would doubt that the S2, S3, and Note make up a majority of Samsung's sales. You are predicting close to 50 million Samsung smartphones sold. S3 is around 8 million this quarter. Note is averaging 1 million/month. That's 11 million. I doubt the S2 will sell 14 million this quarter.)

Except there is no objective basis for that claim. It's absolutely the best Android release to date. I don't think it is close to Apple's level. Samsung will probably sell around 15-20 million S3s in its first 3 months. Apple sold around double that in the 4S launch quarter.

I don't think a single Samsung smartphone will beat Apple this year, but it sure is heading that way.

Visa and Mastercard are pushing mobile payments with their Paypass/Paywave apps (and they're heavily pushing them at the Olympics here), Barclays has just released Paypass, Paypal supports NFC now. There's Google Wallet in the US. Starbucks and McDonalds have already done a full rollout of NFC terminals here.

Apple will be left behind if they don't implement NFC this year. I suspect they will, but at the same time they do like to take their sweet time about everything so they might not.

Mobile payments are really useful; I think it's something that will interest a lot of people once it starts becoming more popular.

0m3ga
Jun 25, 2012, 06:24 PM
And I'm sure that all 9 million of those pre-orders from carriers just sat on the shelves, which is why we had several delays... Because there were too many phones. :rolleyes: You can't be that dense. Of course, only the iPhone is capable of selling out, right?

So in your fantasy world, Apple only counts iPhone 4S sales? Of those 35 million phones Apple sold last quarter, none of those were 3GS's or iPhone 4's? So yu want to stick with this story of yours, that Apple sold 35 million 4S's last quarter and not one single 3GS or 4? Don't let a little thing like 'reality' distort your view.

well, we'll wait and see what Samsung reports in its quarterly earnings update. And yes, Samsung has been reporting sales numbers now.

Again, you are combining ALL iPhones sold to just the S3. Apple didn't sell 30-40 million iPhone 4S's in Q1.
Seriously, is this too hard a concept for you to grasp?

chakraj
Jun 25, 2012, 06:26 PM
you know what fine...

If you want a phone thats easier to see, and has a much nicer sized screen to view your email and movies or vids on.

if you want a phone that you can do what you want with and not be told you cant load this or you cant do that.

if you want something you can customize

if you want something with removable storage and a removable battery

if you want something with a new chip and with lte and nfc

well if you want all that and more then just go get the gs3...

batting1000
Jun 25, 2012, 06:37 PM

I could honestly care less. My iPhone is already just as fast as the Galaxy SIII. Don't tell me I'm a fanboy. I've had 3 Android devices in succession before my iPhone (Evo 4G --> Nexus S 4G --> Galaxy SIII). I didn't have 4G in my area anyway and an SD card only came in handy when I wanted to put someonething on my phone from my computer. Not everyone needs everything you stated just because YOU do.

ljusmc
Jun 25, 2012, 06:40 PM
My friend bought the SGS3 and it seems pretty cool, but I still love my iPhone. It does everything I need it to do.

Sensamic
Jun 25, 2012, 06:41 PM
Ok, so I just combined Novas launcher feature of recent apps with the stock TouchWiz, and its now all perfect and sweet :D:D:D

I can now multitask without needing to press the home button, just like when I used Zephyr on my jailbroken iPhone. Only difference here is I didn't need to root or anything. Is all available on the android market.

This kind of tells you how great android is. No need to jailbreak to do stuff like this. You can continue updating your phones firmware and keep using these personalize features.

Why can't iOS allow things like these? Its rather easier and nicer than double tapping the home button.

Oh, by the way, I also updated my phones firmware today with the new update and Ive noticed that I have now much more RAM available to me! Yeah! It seems the new update minimize the RAM usage. Another great news for today.

Also, maybe I didn't mention this before, but my SGS3 doesn't get too warm when doing heavy stuff. Im quite impressed. Not a single moment the phone was too hot. All the contrary: it stays pretty cool.

batting1000
Jun 25, 2012, 06:43 PM
you know what fine...

If you want a phone thats easier to see, and has a much nicer sized screen to view your email and movies or vids on.

I can see my phone just fine...?

if you want a phone that you can do what you want with and not be told you cant load this or you cant do that.

I can do what I want on my iPhone. Not sure what model you've used...

if you want something you can customize

I can customize mine. I can change my wallpaper and organize my icons. What more do I need? Anything else is just overdoing it and sucks up battery. Hence the reason why Android devices have such large batteries compared to iPhone.

if you want something with removable storage and a removable battery

Just buy a 64GB iPhone and you'll be fine...Apple will replace you're battery within a year of purchase, or, you can extend your warranty another year incase you think you'll need a new battery after 1 year.

if you want something with a new chip and with lte and nfc

LTE and NFC are fine, but not a dealbreaker. Who needs a new chip? The 4S is already plenty fast...

well if you want all that and more then just go get the gs3...

My responses

----------

Ok, so I just combined Novas launcher feature of recent apps with the stock TouchWiz, and its now all perfect and sweet :D:D:D

I can now multitask without needing to press the home button, just like when I used Zephyr on my jailbroken iPhone. Only difference here is I didn't need to root or anything. Is all available on the android market.

This kind of tells you how great android is. No need to jailbreak to do stuff like this. You can continue updating your phones firmware and keep using these personalize features.

Why can't iOS allow things like these? Its rather easier and nicer than double tapping the home button.

I don't need to use my home button either. No jailbreak required.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
I don't think a single Samsung smartphone will beat Apple this year, but it sure is heading that way.

Visa and Mastercard are pushing mobile payments with their Paypass/Paywave apps (and they're heavily pushing them at the Olympics here), Barclays has just released Paypass, Paypal supports NFC now. There's Google Wallet in the US. Starbucks and McDonalds have already done a full rollout of NFC terminals here.

Apple will be left behind if they don't implement NFC this year. I suspect they will, but at the same time they do like to take their sweet time about everything so they might not.

Mobile payments are really useful; I think it's something that will interest a lot of people once it starts becoming more popular.

NFC won't be a big deal in the mobile market until Apple implements it on the iPhone. At least in America and some other western countries. Some other countries already use it on a daily basis. But here in the US, the average consumer doesn't have much of a clue what NFC is, nor would the average user trust it on a Android phone yet. As fanboyish as it sounds, Apple would have to implement NFC for the iPhone in order for it to gain American or global popularity. The iPhone can probably goes 5 more years without NFC and it won't matter to most, but if they include it on the next iPhone it would spread like wildfire. Sort of how the whole bar code scanning thing caught on.

DanteMann
Jun 25, 2012, 07:00 PM
NFC won't be a big deal in the mobile market until Apple implements it on the iPhone. At least in America and some other western countries. Some other countries already use it on a daily basis. But here in the US, the average consumer doesn't have much of a clue what NFC is, nor would the average user trust it on a Android phone yet. As fanboyish as it sounds, Apple would have to implement NFC for the iPhone in order for it to gain American or global popularity. The iPhone can probably goes 5 more years without NFC and it won't matter to most, but if they include it on the next iPhone it would spread like wildfire. Sort of how the whole bar code scanning thing caught on.

I'm really hoping you're being sarcastic, but if you're not, definitely put down the k-Aid. WOW!!!

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 25, 2012, 07:04 PM
I'm really hoping you're being sarcastic, but if you're not, definitely put down the k-Aid. WOW!!!

Why don't you go play somewhere else. Every last one of your posts in on a high troll level :rolleyes:

DanteMann
Jun 25, 2012, 07:20 PM
Why don't you go play somewhere else. Every last one of your posts in on a high troll level :rolleyes:

Troll elsewhere please. :rolleyes:

Sensamic
Jun 25, 2012, 07:40 PM
My responses

----------

I don't need to use my home button either. No jailbreak required.

And how do you exit an app, for example?

Vegastouch
Jun 25, 2012, 07:58 PM

Did happen! The 4S is the least selling iPhone of them all....and that was after a delay of 3 months longer than usual and people were anxious to see the new phone. Now you have iOS6 that isnt anything special. If the new phone isnt a 4" screen....whoaa. Will be bad news.

nefan65
Jun 25, 2012, 08:13 PM
Did happen! The 4S is the least selling iPhone of them all....and that was after a delay of 3 months longer than usual and people were anxious to see the new phone. Now you have iOS6 that isnt anything special. If the new phone isnt a 4" screen....whoaa. Will be bad news.

Woaa..will be bad news? You're dilusional. Go play with your plastic phone, and show all your friends how cool it is. Make sure to finish your homework too.

Vegastouch
Jun 25, 2012, 08:20 PM
Woaa..will be bad news? You're dilusional. Go play with your plastic phone, and show all your friends how cool it is. Make sure to finish your homework too.

I repeat! IF the New iPhone does NOT have a 4" screen, it will be bad news and many will flock elsewhere.

On the other side of that, if they do, it will sell like hot cakes.

And i havent needed to do homework in many years, but good luck with yours.

Vegastouch
Jun 25, 2012, 08:52 PM
For those who have already got the SG3...what color did you get?

I think the white looks better but the blue looks pretty good too. Just have to see it in person.

For those who will be getting it, what color will you get?

nooaah
Jun 25, 2012, 09:09 PM
Will there be any way through rooting to get rid of the VZW and Samsung bloatware and make the OS more in line with a Nexus device? I've never owned an Android phone or done much looking into with hacking/rooting so I'm completely blind right now. Want to hit the ground running in two weeks, though.

0m3ga
Jun 25, 2012, 09:48 PM
Will there be any way through rooting to get rid of the VZW and Samsung bloatware and make the OS more in line with a Nexus device? I've never owned an Android phone or done much looking into with hacking/rooting so I'm completely blind right now. Want to hit the ground running in two weeks, though.

You can get rid off the bloatware, but it is just better to freeze it with an app called Titanium Pro. Unless you know exactly what files to delete, you can risk messing the phone up and then having to do a complete restore.

Rooting is very simple, but don't use a Mac. Needs to be a windows pc. You download 3 files onto your computer, open all 3 (one downloads Samsung drivers, one is called Odin and is the equivalent to Redsnow for jailbreaking, and the last one is a .tar file for rooting. Insert tar file inside odin. Pull out battery, reinsert battery, hold up and down volume buttons together, plug in usb, phone goes into download mode, hit start button on odin. 5 minutes later you are rooted and can now use programs like Titanium Pro and Superuser, which allow you to access 'root' files and alter them. I.e. the bloatware.

Long story short. Root phone. Download Titanium Pro. Load it. Click on each bloatware program in thelist and hit the freeze button. No more bloatware. It is still there if you need it back, but you will never see it and it never activates.

LSUtigers03
Jun 25, 2012, 09:59 PM

I think the white looks better but the blue looks pretty good too. Just have to see it in person.

I'm getting it in pebble blue. My upgrade isn't until July 14 so I may see if anyone on xda wants to use an upgrade in exchange for a GSM RAZR MAXX.

nooaah
Jun 25, 2012, 10:05 PM
You can get rid off the bloatware, but it is just better to freeze it with an app called Titanium Pro. Unless you know exactly what files to delete, you can risk messing the phone up and then having to do a complete restore.

Rooting is very simple, but don't use a Mac. Needs to be a windows pc. You download 3 files onto your computer, open all 3 (one downloads Samsung drivers, one is called Odin and is the equivalent to Redsnow for jailbreaking, and the last one is a .tar file for rooting. Insert tar file inside odin. Pull out battery, reinsert battery, hold up and down volume buttons together, plug in usb, phone goes into download mode, hit start button on odin. 5 minutes later you are rooted and can now use programs like Titanium Pro and Superuser, which allow you to access 'root' files and alter them. I.e. the bloatware.

Long story short. Root phone. Download Titanium Pro. Load it. Click on each bloatware program in thelist and hit the freeze button. No more bloatware. It is still there if you need it back, but you will never see it and it never activates.
Thanks for taking the time to explain. And thank God I have a Mac and PC running side by side at all times in my office. :D

I haven't been this excited about getting my hands on a new toy since the iPhone 4. I'm just praying VZW won't be a pain in the ass letting me switch off between my 4S and S3 whenever I want. I still love my iPhone and would like to go back to using it at times.

blairh
Jun 25, 2012, 10:12 PM
Felt this (http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/06/19/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-not-revolutionary-but-another-solid-step-forward-for-android/) review from Androidpolice was pretty interesting. Reviewer essentially says that the SIII screen can't touch the One X's. I realize they are two different screen technologies, but still interesting.

nooaah
Jun 25, 2012, 10:24 PM
Felt this (http://www.androidpolice.com/2012/06/19/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-review-not-revolutionary-but-another-solid-step-forward-for-android/) review from Androidpolice was pretty interesting. Reviewer essentially says that the SIII screen can't touch the One X's. I realize they are two different screen technologies, but still interesting.

Eh, don't see anything better on VZW.

aztooh
Jun 25, 2012, 10:33 PM

So pre-4 iPhones sucked then, right?

Vegastouch
Jun 25, 2012, 10:40 PM

Titanium Backup is nice but other than getting rid of bloatware, with this phone there doesnt seem to be a need to use it again ;)

----------

Thanks for taking the time to explain. And thank God I have a Mac and PC running side by side at all times in my office. :D

I haven't been this excited about getting my hands on a new toy since the iPhone 4. I'm just praying VZW won't be a pain in the ass letting me switch off between my 4S and S3 whenever I want. I still love my iPhone and would like to go back to using it at times.

Is why i like Sim cards better. I broke my Wifes phone one day(she hated it anyways and wasnt a smartphone) and just went to a store and got a prepaid one that she liked better. Slipped in the Sim card and off she went.

DodgeV83
Jun 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
Did happen! The 4S is the least selling iPhone of them all....

Source? Everything I can find says the iPhone 4S still has the first-day sales record for any phone, and that the majority of iPhone sales since then have been the 4S.

Vegastouch
Jun 25, 2012, 11:38 PM
Source? Everything I can find says the iPhone 4S still has the first-day sales record for any phone, and that the majority of iPhone sales since then have been the 4S.
I'm not talking about one day sales. In one of these type of threads, someone posted results of the three most selling phones and the two ahead of the 4s was the 3GS and the iP4. So no, it isn't the worst of them ALL, but worst of the latest.
I am on my phone about to sign out so I'm not going to search for the thread. It's one of these GS3 type threads.

DodgeV83
Jun 26, 2012, 12:41 AM
I'm not talking about one day sales. In one of these type of threads, someone posted results of the three most selling phones and the two ahead of the 4s was the 3GS and the iP4. So no, it isn't the worst of them ALL, but worst of the latest.
I am on my phone about to sign out so I'm not going to search for the thread. It's one of these GS3 type threads.

An iPhone that have been out for 3 years and is still being sold, has more total sales than the iPhone 4S that has been out for 8 months.

A iPhone that has been out for 2 years and is still being sold, has more total sales than the iPhone 4S that has been out for 8 months.

Even if true, you cannot use those numbers to show that Apple "lost a lot of customers" as a result of the iPhone 4S release. If anything, the numbers show the exact opposite, as the iPhone 4S is selling at a much faster rate than the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 did during the same timeframe.

0m3ga
Jun 26, 2012, 12:55 AM
Titanium Backup is nice but other than getting rid of bloatware, with this phone there doesnt seem to be a need to use it again.

You mean, other than backing up all your apps and data? ;)

matttye
Jun 26, 2012, 01:16 AM

I can't comment on the US, but visa and Samsung are pushing it hard for the Olympics this year in the UK. Although, rather annoyingly, NFC payments will only be a feature of a limited edition Olympics version of the phone. Apparently it's more of a "preview" than an actual rolling out.

The post office is also rolling out NFC terminals at its' branches.

Clearly the world doesn't need Apple as lots of places have either already implemented it or are testing it.

Technarchy
Jun 26, 2012, 02:25 AM
I look forward to seeing the mass Galaxy SIII sell off when the next iPhone is announced.

mbell1975
Jun 26, 2012, 02:43 AM
I look forward to seeing the mass Galaxy SIII sell off when the next iPhone is announced.

That would be going backwards. Smart people won't do that.

nooaah
Jun 26, 2012, 02:46 AM
That would be going backwards. Smart people won't do that.

sSheep :D

LSUtigers03
Jun 26, 2012, 08:16 AM

I don't think this will happen. I think most people who have the Galaxy S3 have it because they love the phone not because there isn't a new iPhone out yet. This may be hard to believe but there are a lot of people out there that think there are better phones than the iPhone.

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 08:25 AM
And I'm sure that all 9 million of those pre-orders from carriers just sat on the shelves, which is why we had several delays... Because there were too many phones. :rolleyes: Of course, only the iPhone is capable of selling out, right?

Do you not understand the difference between preorders to carriers and preorders to customers? Preorders to carriers have not been sold. I'm sure a whole lot of S3s were sold on launch day. We just have no idea how many. I am not questioning that the S3 has sold out in many markets. And that's without a US release.

So in your fantasy world, Apple only counts iPhone 4S sales? Of those 35 million phones Apple sold last quarter, none of those were 3GS's or iPhone 4's? So yu want to stick with this story of yours, that Apple sold 35 million 4S's last quarter and not one single 3GS or 4? Don't let a little thing like 'reality' distort your view.

Good strawman. I never said that. Estimates are that 89% of iPhones sold are iPhone 4S. So around 31 million iPhone 4S sold last quarter and 33 million sold in the iPhone 4S launch quarter.

http://allthingsd.com/20120126/nine-out-of-10-iphone-buyers-are-picking-the-4s/

well, we'll wait and see what Samsung reports in its quarterly earnings update. And yes, Samsung has been reporting sales numbers now.

No, Samsung does not report quarterly smartphone sales. (And do you really think 14 million S2s were possibly sold this quarter? Really?)

Again, you are combining ALL iPhones sold to just the S3. Apple didn't sell 30-40 million iPhone 4S's in Q1.
Seriously, is this too hard a concept for you to grasp?

Except, you are wrong.

The 4S is the least selling iPhone of them all....and that was after a delay of 3 months longer than usual and people were anxious to see the new phone.

Wow. Somehow, more than doubling sales of the iPhone 4, makes the iPhone 4S the least selling iPhone ever in your world.

:D Doesn't take much for you to accept numbers as long as they fit your point of view. :D

cardinalryan
Jun 26, 2012, 08:57 AM
This is my new favorite thread of all time!!!

I can't believe that there are a select few people who continue to hold on to this belief that the iPhone is better than the GS3.

iPhone had it's day, but that day is in the rear view mirror, I say this in all seriousness. Financial advisors are telling people to dump their Apple stock now and there is a reason for this.

With Steve Jobs gone, so too is the Apple innovation that people love. It is sad, I will miss it, but it's over. Count me as one who will be shocked if Apple is still prospering at high levels in 10 years. By no means am I saying that Apple will close it's doors...nothing close to that...I'm just saying that the heyday is over, but it was a helluva ride while it lasted.

nefan65
Jun 26, 2012, 09:27 AM
So pre-4 iPhones sucked then, right?

To some extent. But at that time, all phones were mostly plastic. Apple at least changed it up with the 4/4s, and gave us something better.

I'd hope that in 2012 manufacturers would be able to utilize something better than plastic. If the SIII is so awesome, why not Carbon Fiber? Liquid Metal?

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 09:31 AM
I can't believe that there are a select few people who continue to hold on to this belief that the iPhone is better than the GS3.

I can't believe you think that only a select few people believe the iPhone is better. :)

iPhone had it's day, but that day is in the rear view mirror, I say this in all seriousness.

In all seriousness? Maybe. But not actually based on any evidence.

Financial advisors are telling people to dump their Apple stock now and there is a reason for this.

Consensus rating on AAPL is a strong buy.

http://www.investorguide.com/stock-analysis.php?ticker=AAPL

aztooh
Jun 26, 2012, 09:34 AM
To some extent. But at that time, all phones were mostly plastic. Apple at least changed it up with the 4/4s, and gave us something better.

I'd hope that in 2012 manufacturers would be able to utilize something better than plastic. If the SIII is so awesome, why not Carbon Fiber? Liquid Metal?

Cost?

To each their own, but I'll take plastic all day every day over my fragile 4S.

MonkeySee....
Jun 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
I don't think this will happen. I think most people who have the Galaxy S3 have it because they love the phone not because there isn't a new iPhone out yet. This may be hard to believe but there are a lot of people out there that think there are better phones than the iPhone.

Judging by this board I'd say the majority have seen the Mock ups of the new iPhone (fake or not fake) and have got their knickers in and twist and moved to the SIII.

Mental but true

nefan65
Jun 26, 2012, 09:57 AM
Cost?

To each their own, but I'll take plastic all day every day over my fragile 4S.

I've had more plastic phones break than any iPhone I've owned, including the 4. I've had the 4 since it came out, and no case. No scratches, dings, or other blemishes.

To each their own indeed.

batting1000
Jun 26, 2012, 10:02 AM
And how do you exit an app, for example?

AssistiveTouch. Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch.

I don't have to touch my home button (unless of course I want to turn the screen on), lock button, volume buttons, or mute switch.

http://techc0re.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/ios-tip-never-use-your-buttons-again/

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 26, 2012, 10:05 AM
I can't comment on the US, but visa and Samsung are pushing it hard for the Olympics this year in the UK. Although, rather annoyingly, NFC payments will only be a feature of a limited edition Olympics version of the phone. Apparently it's more of a "preview" than an actual rolling out.

The post office is also rolling out NFC terminals at its' branches.

Clearly the world doesn't need Apple as lots of places have either already implemented it or are testing it.

My point is it's not going to hit the public mainstream until a household brand device implements it. NFC has been out for awhile, and most still don't use it.

It's not about whether you or anyone likes Apple or not. It's about the way things are at the moment.

Technarchy
Jun 26, 2012, 11:13 AM

It will happen, and mint GSIII's will be $350 a pop on Craigslist.

sentinelsx
Jun 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
AssistiveTouch. Settings > General > Accessibility > AssistiveTouch.

I don't have to touch my home button (unless of course I want to turn the screen on), lock button, volume buttons, or mute switch.

http://techc0re.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/ios-tip-never-use-your-buttons-again/

The jailbroken Zephyr solution is way better. No constant icon presence on the screen and works flawlessly without having to bring up a menu. I am surprised Apple has not taken that into iOS6. It feels so native and implementing it would be great.

----------

Mint S2s are still $350 here in aftermarket. So i doubt GS3s will go down that fast.

Although i won't mind buying one for $350 or less :D Hope that happens soon lol.

batting1000
Jun 26, 2012, 11:21 AM
The jailbroken Zephyr solution is way better. No constant icon presence on the screen and works flawlessly without having to bring up a menu. I am surprised Apple has not taken that into iOS6. It feels so native and implementing it would be great.

Except everyone can't fit 4 or 5 fingers onto the screen and using one or two fingers instead couple replicate other gestures. I don't mind the persistent button. It never gets in the way and it even moves out of the way if the keyboard pops up. It fades slightly so you don't always notice it. It's just as fast as using the actual buttons.

sentinelsx
Jun 26, 2012, 11:28 AM
Except now everyone can fit 4 or 5 fingers onto the screen and using one or two fingers instead couple replicate other gestures. I don't mind the persistent button. It never gets in the way and it even moves out of the way if the keyboard pops up. It fades slightly so you don't always notice it. It's just as fast as using the actual buttons.

I don't use 4 or 5 fingers.

One swipe up using one finger and i can quit app. I can choose to keep that in apps or not. I enabled it in portrait and disabled in landscape apps.

Two finger swipe towards an edge and i can switch instantly to the next app.

One swipe up in any app and hold instead of lifting finger, and multitasking appears.

Feels so much better and intuitive. In fact after recently restoring the device i could not wait to jailbreak it again because of the missing feature. Found the regular home button use so annoying compared to those gestures.

Technarchy
Jun 26, 2012, 11:30 AM
Mint S2s are still $350 here in aftermarket. So i doubt GS3s will go down that fast.

Although i won't mind buying one for $350 or less :D Hope that happens soon lol.

That's funny because I just checked the local classifieds and I can score SGSII's for $200 - $300 all day...which means the SGSII is worth about as much as an iPhone 3S. Anyone paying $350 is being ripped off.

There will be no shortage or people waiting to dump their SGSIII after a few freezes, battery pulls, crashed widgets and no Jelly Bean update on the horizon. And then there is the new iPhone which will probably be the biggest phone launch of all time.

sentinelsx
Jun 26, 2012, 11:34 AM
That's funny because I just checked the local classifieds and I can score SGSII's for $200 - $300 all day...which means the SGSII is worth about as much as an iPhone 3S. Anyone paying $350 is being ripped off.

There will be no shortage or people waiting to dump their SGSIII after a few freezes, battery pulls, crashed widgets and no Jelly Bean update on the horizon. And then there is the new iPhone which will probably be the biggest phone launch of all time.

I see tons of iPhone 4 for $300 but most S2s are at least $325 new. Also i see less people selling androids than iPhones. It is as if every one is upgrading to an iPhone simply to unload it on the market and use the money to buy something else. I can't blame them, it works quite well. I upgraded to the 4 and bought a nexus easily in early 2011 with money to spare. However, now i have to add cash if i sell my iPhone. People simply aren't willing to accept even straight trades.

Perhaps it is different in states.

batting1000
Jun 26, 2012, 11:35 AM
I don't use 4 or 5 fingers.

One swipe up using one finger and i can quit app. I can choose to keep that in apps or not. I enabled it in portrait and disabled in landscape apps.

Two finger swipe towards an edge and i can switch instantly to the next app.

One swipe up in any app and hold instead of lifting finger, and multitasking appears.

Feels so much better and intuitive. In fact after recently restoring the device i could not wait to jailbreak it again because of the missing feature. Found the regular home button use so annoying compared to those gestures.

Ok then.

sentinelsx
Jun 26, 2012, 11:47 AM
Ok then.

I did try the assisted touch and it is a decent approach. I can see people being comfortable using it but i hate the constant button at the bottom and having to go through a menu.

matttye
Jun 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
My point is it's not going to hit the public mainstream until a household brand device implements it. NFC has been out for awhile, and most still don't use it.

It's not about whether you or anyone likes Apple or not. It's about the way things are at the moment.

I supplied evidence to the contrary (the fact that it's becoming increasingly popular) but you have provided no evidence whatsoever. Am I supposed to just believe that it won't pick up until Apple offers it, even though it's being/has been rolled out at McDonalds, Starbucks, Café Nero, Post Office, the Olympics and others? Also, Barclays, one of the UK's leading banks, has released a "paypass" sticker that you can stick to any mobile - whether it's equipped with NFC or not.

Barclays customers would have no benefit in waiting until the NFC iPhone comes out, when they can just stick a Paypass sticker to their existing iPhone.

Please provide evidence to substantiate your claims, like I have.

batting1000
Jun 26, 2012, 11:54 AM
I did try the assisted touch and it is a decent approach. I can see people being comfortable using it but i hate the constant button at the bottom and having to go through a menu.

Yeah I don't mind it. I don't like using my buttons if I don't have to. :p

mbell1975
Jun 26, 2012, 12:16 PM
I see tons of iPhone 4 for $300 but most S2s are at least $325 new. Also i see less people selling androids than iPhones.

yep. I have never had a problem selling my Android phones on CL. Always get over $300 too. Couldn't sell my 4s forever. I had my 16gb at $400 and no one would touch it. Had to drop it to $350 and then everyone who contacted me wanted the ESN because there are a TON of iPhones sold with bad ones. Finally had to take $325 for it a month after I posted it. Never doing that again.

matttye
Jun 26, 2012, 12:37 PM
I see tons of iPhone 4 for $300 but most S2s are at least $325 new. Also i see less people selling androids than iPhones. It is as if every one is upgrading to an iPhone simply to unload it on the market and use the money to buy something else. I can't blame them, it works quite well. I upgraded to the 4 and bought a nexus easily in early 2011 with money to spare. However, now i have to add cash if i sell my iPhone. People simply aren't willing to accept even straight trades.

Perhaps it is different in states.

Sold my S2 for £250 ($389) :)

0m3ga
Jun 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
yep. I have never had a problem selling my Android phones on CL. Always get over $300 too. Couldn't sell my 4s forever. I had my 16gb at $400 and no one would touch it. Had to drop it to $350 and then everyone who contacted me wanted the ESN because there are a TON of iPhones sold with bad ones. Finally had to take $325 for it a month after I posted it. Never doing that again.

I sold two of my 4s (which were factory unlocked and in mint condition, with accessories) for $300 and $325. At $350 and $400, no one would touch them. These days people want an iPhone, not for themselves, but for family in other countries, hence the need for it to be unlocked. This was the case in both of my sales.
Right now, I can get the same for my S2 (unlocked, and with accessories).

LSUtigers03
Jun 26, 2012, 12:45 PM

That won't happen in 3 months. When the Note was 5 months old it had a higher average selling price on eBay than the 16gb 4s.

matttye
Jun 26, 2012, 12:51 PM

Sold my almost one year old S2 for more than that. :)

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 26, 2012, 01:17 PM
I supplied evidence to the contrary (the fact that it's becoming increasingly popular) but you have provided no evidence whatsoever. Am I supposed to just believe that it won't pick up until Apple offers it, even though it's being/has been rolled out at McDonalds, Starbucks, Café Nero, Post Office, the Olympics and others? Also, Barclays, one of the UK's leading banks, has released a "paypass" sticker that you can stick to any mobile - whether it's equipped with NFC or not.

Barclays customers would have no benefit in waiting until the NFC iPhone comes out, when they can just stick a Paypass sticker to their existing iPhone.

Please provide evidence to substantiate your claims, like I have.

You provided no evidence. Those NFC pads at Mcdonalds, Starbucks, and etc are collecting dust for the most part. I'll put anything on it that NFC is less than 1% of sales at most spots in America and countries where it's not mainstream yet.

sentinelsx
Jun 26, 2012, 01:25 PM
You provided no evidence. Those NFC pads at Mcdonalds, Starbucks, and etc are collecting dust for the most part. I'll put anything on it that NFC is less than 1% of sales at most spots in America and countries where it's not mainstream yet.

I have yet to see "mainstream" adoption of facetime and siri.

Everyday I see people with iPhones driving and never taking advantage of those awesome features :P

blairh
Jun 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
Finally got a chance to demo the SIII. It had a security piece on the back that did not let me get a chance to hold it properly. The plastic backing didn't bother me from what I could gather.

Screen is sharp but greyish and slightly dim even at full brightness compared to my iPhone. I simply prefer the whites provided by IPS displays.

I'm either going to get the next iPhone this fall or an unlocked LG 4X HD.

matttye
Jun 26, 2012, 01:33 PM

Yeah I'd bet that too, but only because it's fairly difficult to actually pay using nfc right now for a lot of people.

There's no Android app released in the UK that can make nfc payments yet.

Banks have only recently rolled out nfc/contactless debit cards.

Clearly it's growing in popularity. The post office doesn't pay to roll out new nfc readers in all of its branches for the hell of it.

The barclays paytag will raise awareness too.

I'm not saying it's going to become popular overnight, I'm saying it will become popular with or without Apples help. Will Apple speed up that process if the next iPhone comes with NFC? Sure, no argument there.

matttye
Jun 26, 2012, 01:35 PM
Finally got a chance to demo the SIII. It had a security piece on the back that did not let me get a chance to hold it properly. The plastic backing didn't bother me from what I could gather.

Screen is sharp but greyish and slightly dim even at full brightness compared to my iPhone. I simply prefer the whites provided by IPS displays.

I'm either going to get the next iPhone this fall or an unlocked LG 4X HD.

LG are known for poor software, give it a thorough testing before buying one. :p

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 26, 2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah I'd bet that too, but only because it's fairly difficult to actually pay using nfc right now for a lot of people.

There's no Android app released in the UK that can make nfc payments yet.

Banks have only recently rolled out nfc/contactless debit cards.

Clearly it's growing in popularity. The post office doesn't pay to roll out new nfc readers in all of its branches for the hell of it.

The barclays paytag will raise awareness too.

I'm not saying it's going to become popular overnight, I'm saying it will become popular with or without Apples help. Will Apple speed up that process if the next iPhone comes with NFC? Sure, no argument there.

I agree that with or without Apple NFC will be mainstream eventually. But I don't think it would be mainstream anytime soon without Apple. If next iPhone has NFC, we are looking at mainstream within a year and half or two years. Otherwise I see 5 years.

matttye
Jun 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
I agree that with or without Apple NFC will be mainstream eventually. But I don't think it would be mainstream anytime soon without Apple. If next iPhone has NFC, we are looking at mainstream within a year and half or two years. Otherwise I see 5 years.

Nah. You're massively over estimating Apples clout there.

Visa, Mastercard, banks, Google and lots of major retailers, restaurants, cafes and other locations are trialling nfc or have already rolled it out.

Once Visa Paywave and Mastercard Paypass are out, the technology will pick up rapidly.

Bearing in mind Apple isn't even the worldwide smartphone leader, it would be more likely to pick up if Samsung implemented it in all of their phones :p

0m3ga
Jun 26, 2012, 02:17 PM

This assessment is spot on IMO. While I have my Galaxy S3 and wouldn't trade it in for anything, it is a well established fact that Apple can make technologies mainstream quicker than Android. Why? All new iPhone users will have a set NfC standard. Every phone will function the same. Businesses will be more likely to install these readers if iPhone users use them, knowing that Apple will stick to a single design and not change for years. You don't have that guarantee with Android phones made by different manufacturers, who all have their own agenda.

Apple = stability in the mobile arena. Businesses like stability. Why do you think so many tech stores (like BB) havetons of iphone crap and little in the way of Android?

Only one problem with Apple. If you need to go through iTunes and post your credit card info there to get NFC to work, just expect to lose money out of your account sooner or later. I had my info hijacked 3 times and that was with 16 digit random letter, number and special character passwords. ITunes security is a joke.

matttye
Jun 26, 2012, 02:20 PM
This assessment is spot on IMO. While I have my Galaxy S3 and wouldn't trade it in for anything, it is a well established fact that Apple can make technologies mainstream quicker than Android. Why? All new iPhone users will have a set NfC standard. Every phone will function the same. Businesses will be more likely to install these readers if iPhone users use them, knowing that Apple will stick to a single design and not change for years. You don't have that guarantee with Android phones made by different manufacturers, who all have their own agenda.

Apple = stability in the mobile arena. Businesses like stability. Why do you think so many tech stores (like BB) havetons of iphone crap and little in the way of Android?

Only one problem with Apple. If you need to go through iTunes and post your credit card info there to get NFC to work, just expect to lose money out of your account sooner or later. I had my info hijacked 3 times and that was with 16 digit random letter, number and special character passwords. ITunes security is a joke.

I'm sure nfc terminals use a standard that all payment providers will use, otherwise you wouldn't have any idea whether your device would work with the one in any given shop.

sentinelsx
Jun 26, 2012, 02:21 PM
NFC could be far easily implemented through advances like NFC enabled SIM cards. Why wait for someone to implement it when you have the option of already making it mainstream?

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 02:25 PM
Bearing in mind Apple isn't even the worldwide smartphone leader, it would be more likely to pick up if Samsung implemented it in all of their phones :p

I agree with you for the most part that VISA and MC will drive NFC adoption, but I think that iOS will have a much greater influence than Android. Data such as web browsing, maps, and wifi usage has always shown that features of iOS are actually used more than their Android counterparts.

blairh
Jun 26, 2012, 02:32 PM
LG are known for poor software, give it a thorough testing before buying one. :p

I've done my homework on Optimus, the Android skin created by LG. It's actually minimal compared to TW and Sense. I'd be purchasing it unlocked so I'd probably not get a chance to demo it. Unless it officially comes to the States.

Leaning towards the next iPhone right now.

sentinelsx
Jun 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
I've done my homework on Optimus, the Android skin created by LG. It's actually minimal compared to TW and Sense. I'd be purchasing it unlocked so I'd probably not get a chance to demo it. Unless it officially comes to the States.

Leaning towards the next iPhone right now.

You will probably find the next iPhone in stores earlier than the LG judging from their slow progress with NA roll outs.

0m3ga
Jun 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
I'm sure nfc terminals use a standard that all payment providers will use, otherwise you wouldn't have any idea whether your device would work with the one in any given shop.

You'd think that, but you would be wrong. NFC is still in its infancy and has some major security hurdles, like rfid jamming. Additionally, if you have any the thinnest bit of metal on the back covering the nfc chip, it won't work. How do I know? My S3 is capable of programming nfc tags and with my plastic and metal battery cover it won't work. As long as there is carbon fiber or pastic on the back it works perfectly.

So this would limit people's ability to use certain cases.

matttye
Jun 26, 2012, 03:01 PM
You'd think that, but you would be wrong. NFC is still in its infancy and has some major security hurdles, like rfid jamming. Additionally, if you have any the thinnest bit of metal on the back covering the nfc chip, it won't work. How do I know? My S3 is capable of programming nfc tags and with my plastic and metal battery cover it won't work. As long as there is carbon fiber or pastic on the back it works perfectly.

So this would limit people's ability to use certain cases.

I know about the metal thing, but your post didn't mention anything about standards.

As far as I know the main one in use right now is Mastercard Paypass. Will nfc terminals have to be updated when other card issuers start to support nfc, or can the others make their systems compatible with Paypass?

0m3ga
Jun 26, 2012, 03:12 PM
I know about the metal thing, but your post didn't mention anything about standards.

As far as I know the main one in use right now is Mastercard Paypass. Will nfc terminals have to be updated when other card issuers start to support nfc, or can the others make their systems compatible with Paypass?

Good question. Right now Europe and Japan seem to be the best estqblshed, but unless machines can be retrofitted to allow for multiple payment types (i.e. like current machines are able to read visa, mc, american express and so on - by the way Frank Abagnale invented that magnetic strip on the back of credit cards. Don't recognize the name? Think of the movie CatchMe if you Can with Leonardo DiCaprio. Had a chance to meet and talk with Mr. abqgnale.)

Anyway, until we have a set world standard, accepted by everyone, or the ability to reconfigure machines and add a second layer of protection to prevent things like rfid jammng and manipulation, we will have issues. It won't stop the rol out of NFC, but we are going to have a lot of upset people that will complain about the tech, possbly giving it a bad rap.

nooaah
Jun 26, 2012, 06:40 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171581

Any opinions on this card?

fr4c
Jun 26, 2012, 07:57 PM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820171581

Any opinions on this card?
Get this instead:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-microSD-High-Speed-32GB-MB-MSBGA-US-Memory-Card-/190685974016?afepn=5335869999&campid=5335869999&PID=1225267#ht_4503wt_936

Sensamic
Jun 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
One word: Swype.

Amazing keyboard. Just downloaded and its the best of all Ive tried. So, so good.

Lets see what Google has to offer new tomorrow on Android 4.1.

I read that Android 5.0 was also going to make its debut this fall. Do someone know if this is true or 4.1 is the only big update this year?

Vegastouch
Jun 26, 2012, 08:23 PM
Get this instead:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-microSD-High-Speed-32GB-MB-MSBGA-US-Memory-Card-/190685974016?afepn=5335869999&campid=5335869999&PID=1225267#ht_4503wt_936

Good price. I got a PNY 32GB class 10 at Best Buy for $32.99.

Vegastouch
Jun 26, 2012, 09:05 PM
Do you not understand the difference between preorders to carriers and preorders to customers? Preorders to carriers have not been sold. I'm sure a whole lot of S3s were sold on launch day. We just have no idea how many. I am not questioning that the S3 has sold out in many markets. And that's without a US release.

http://www.tmonews.com/2012/06/samsungs-shipment-crunch-could-cause-2-million-lost-sales-this-quarter/

> Samsung’s Shipment Crunch Could Cause 2 Million Lost Sales This Quarter

June 26, 2012 David Beren 4 Comments

While heavy demand for a new product is generally a case most companies wish for, in Samsung’s case it may have a heavy price. As Samsung struggles to keep up with demand, the lack of available units may cost the company 2 million units of sales in just one month. There is little question that Samsung’s Galaxy S III is in heavy demand and Samsung says it’s on track to become its fastest selling smartphone ever, with sales likely to top more than 10 million units sold in the first two months.

“Samsung might have been caught off guard by the demand, not because they did not believe in their own products, but because they might have over-estimated the competition,” said Gartner analyst Carolina Milanesi. “In other words, aside from the iPhone and HTC’s oneX there’s not much out there at the moment, which would have certainly helped Samsung.”

Samsung blames part of the delay on issues caused by the case that were a “temporary blip” and have been since been resolved. For T-Mobile and Sprint customers, the launch has been rocky, with T-Mobile moving to a two-pronged approach to avoid a launch day frenzy that was met with disappointing quantities of Galaxy S III units for sale.

As it stands, Analysts expect Samsung to get back on track next quarter, but not before Barclays lowered forecasts for Samsung’s second quarter Galaxy S III shipments to 6.5 million from 8 million. However, they raised third-quarter estimate forecasts by 1 million to more than 15 million units sold.

The obvious statement here is that Samsung’s Galaxy S III unit is one of the first handsets to be truly compared to the iPhone as a bona-fide contender, rather than the “…least bad alternative,” says CLSA analyst Matt Evans.

“The change in status is most evident in the uniformity of the device among the five U.S. carriers. Unlike the Galaxy S II, there’s little customization. Samsung has obviously developed huge leverage in negotiations with carriers and created a ‘must have’ handset.”

PacificBeach
Jun 26, 2012, 09:20 PM

Played with one today! Great device but i really dislike touchwiz!
Pebble Blue is a beautiful color!

0m3ga
Jun 26, 2012, 09:28 PM
One word: Swype.

Amazing keyboard. Just downloaded and its the best of all Ive tried. So, so good.

Lets see what Google has to offer new tomorrow on Android 4.1.

I read that Android 5.0 was also going to make its debut this fall. Do someone know if this is true or 4.1 is the only big update this year?

there will be no Android OS 5.0 in 2012.

Jelly Bean IS 4.1 and is not a completely new OS, like Honeycomb or ICS. It will be like going from iOS 5.0.1 to 5.1. Incremental increase, nothing more.

As for keyboards, my favorite is now Swiftkey 3. The way it is able to predict the next word you want and it's ability to correctwords and fill in spaces is pretty friggn cool. unlike iOS keyboardmwhich sucks at everything. I'm always having to fix what I type on my iPad. Gonna sell it soon. Just waiting for XDA to finish the last tweaks to CM9 for the Touchpad. having 4.0.4 on the TP rocks.

----------

Played with one today! Great device but i really dislike touchwiz!
Pebble Blue is a beautiful color!

That is the great thing about Android. Don't like Touchwiz, dump or change it. Takes 5 minutes.

depths
Jun 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
Swiftkey 3 really is great. It doesn't look quite as nice as stock but the predictions and quick acces to numbers/symbols saves so much time.

DodgeV83
Jun 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
“The change in status is most evident in the uniformity of the device among the five U.S. carriers. Unlike the Galaxy S II, there’s little customization. Samsung has obviously developed huge leverage in negotiations with carriers and created a ‘must have’ handset.”[/I]

Why is uniformity is even an issue for Samsung? When the international S3 has the best GPU of any phone ever, but the US S3 has a slower GPU than the S2, something needs to be fixed!

BaldiMac
Jun 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
http://www.tmonews.com/2012/06/samsungs-shipment-crunch-could-cause-2-million-lost-sales-this-quarter/

While heavy demand for a new product is generally a case most companies wish for, in Samsung’s case it may have a heavy price. As Samsung struggles to keep up with demand, the lack of available units may cost the company 2 million units of sales in just one month. There is little question that Samsung’s Galaxy S III is in heavy demand and Samsung says it’s on track to become its fastest selling smartphone ever, with sales likely to top more than 10 million units sold in the first two months.

“Samsung might have been caught off guard by the demand, not because they did not believe in their own products, but because they might have over-estimated the competition,” said Gartner analyst Carolina Milanesi. “In other words, aside from the iPhone and HTC’s oneX there’s not much out there at the moment, which would have certainly helped Samsung.”

Samsung blames part of the delay on issues caused by the case that were a “temporary blip” and have been since been resolved. For T-Mobile and Sprint customers, the launch has been rocky, with T-Mobile moving to a two-pronged approach to avoid a launch day frenzy that was met with disappointing quantities of Galaxy S III units for sale.

As it stands, Analysts expect Samsung to get back on track next quarter, but not before Barclays lowered forecasts for Samsung’s second quarter Galaxy S III shipments to 6.5 million from 8 million. However, they raised third-quarter estimate forecasts by 1 million to more than 15 million units sold.

The obvious statement here is that Samsung’s Galaxy S III unit is one of the first handsets to be truly compared to the iPhone as a bona-fide contender, rather than the “…least bad alternative,” says CLSA analyst Matt Evans.

“The change in status is most evident in the uniformity of the device among the five U.S. carriers. Unlike the Galaxy S II, there’s little customization. Samsung has obviously developed huge leverage in negotiations with carriers and created a ‘must have’ handset.”

What's your point? The information that you are presenting here has nothing to do with what I said.

irDigital0l
Jun 26, 2012, 10:01 PM
Saw several Galaxy SIII reviews on youtube.

Would totally get it instead of the iPhone 4S.

Siri still seems to be a lot better, SIII might have some minor autobrightness and microphone issues but everything else seems great.

The display looks awesome, close to "retina" display, but I think it has better saturation (might be a lil to much though), really light, a good battery life but with a 4.8'' screen.

Pretty impressed.

It seems it has a lot of gimmicks though, but they seem pretty cool.

I do think a better comparison will be the SIII and the new iPhone whatever it will be.

Vegastouch
Jun 26, 2012, 10:21 PM
Why is uniformity is even an issue for Samsung? When the international S3 has the best GPU of any phone ever, but the US S3 has a slower GPU than the S2, something needs to be fixed!

They arent talking about that. They are talking about not having to give each US carrier their own version and just kept it the same.

They had to go with a dual core in the USA because of the LTE network...is what ive read anyways, so they gave it twice the RAM as the UK version.

Im not going to look because unlike you, i really dont care about benchmarks. It doesnt define the phone but if i looked, which im not going to do....im sure i can find other scores that have better marks.

However, in this thread, i believe blairh posted a link to a review and the benchmarks were the best of everyphone in it though i have no idea what the benchmarks were for....and i didnt care enough to look at it that closely.

----------

What's your point? The information that you are presenting here has nothing to do with what I said.

Sure it does. Sales got slowed because they cant keep up with th demand. Pretty obvious that the phones that were preordered are sold. They are scarce in stores right now and online there have limited supplies.

At the T-Mobile store i was at on Saturday, they said they will get some (here in Vegas) on Wednesday and will probably be getting mostly blue ones...even though they had a setback with that color not being right and had to scrap thousands of the cases so they are doing their best to churn them out for the demand. White must have been real popular is how i see it.

I know this doesnt mean anything to you but i also know thats because you dont want to admit those preorders are sold!! July is in one week and you are assuming that 10 million mark will be at the end of the month.

Not that it means much to me, i know this phone is going to be real popular. But it sure seems to mean a lot to you for some reason. How dare another phone be iPhone-esque in sales!

Comptition is great, embrace it.

mbell1975
Jun 26, 2012, 10:37 PM

If Samsung would have been prepared for this, they would have shattered 4s sales in the firs month. The phone s in such high demand, stores can't even get one to demo

0m3ga
Jun 26, 2012, 10:39 PM

Not sure why you continue to put out crap info. I happen to own both the S2 and S3 and just ran a benchmark on both. Results below. I'll let you guess which one is the S2 and which is the S3.

http://img.tapatalk.com/18179939-803a-9fc5.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/18179939-8050-d632.jpg

DodgeV83
Jun 26, 2012, 10:41 PM
They arent talking about that. They are talking about not having to give each US carrier their own version and just kept it the same.

They had to go with a dual core in the USA because of the LTE network...is what ive read anyways, so they gave it twice the RAM as the UK version.

Im not going to look because unlike you, i really dont care about benchmarks. It doesnt define the phone but if i looked, which im not going to do....im sure i can find other scores that have better marks.

However, in this thread, i believe blairh posted a link to a review and the benchmarks were the best of everyphone in it though i have no idea what the benchmarks were for....and i didnt care enough to look at it that closely.

----------

Sure it does. Sales got slowed because they cant keep up with th demand. Pretty obvious that the phones that were preordered are sold. They are scarce in stores right now and online there have limited supplies.

At the T-Mobile store i was at on Saturday, they said they will get some (here in Vegas) on Wednesday and will probably be getting mostly blue ones...even though they had a setback with that color not being right and had to scrap thousands of the cases so they are doing their best to churn them out for the demand. White must have been real popular is how i see it.

I know this doesnt mean anything to you but i also know thats because you dont want to admit those preorders are sold!! July is in one week and you are assuming that 10 million mark will be at the end of the month.

Not that it means much to me, i know this phone is going to be real popular. But it sure seems to mean a lot to you for some reason. How dare another phone be iPhone-esque in sales!

Hey, this is possibly the greatest disparity in smartphone versions with the same name since Android's debut. Considering that, I find it interesting that your article points out how all US versions are very much the same, while they also have half the graphics processing power as the international version, and less than last year's phone.

Honest question, has it ever happened in the history of smartphones that a new phone is slower than last year's version?

In any case, I still haven't seen any data on how many of these have shipped, only that there have been 9-10 million preorders by over 100 global carriers. Were those 9-10 million delivered on the first day? Is that the amount expected to be delivered over the quarter? How many of this smaller subset have been sold to customers thus far?

No one knows.

0m3ga
Jun 26, 2012, 10:46 PM
Hey, this is possibly the greatest disparity in smartphone versions with the same name since Android's debut. Considering that, I find it interesting that your article points out how all US versions are very much the same, while they also have half the graphics processing power as the international version, and less than last year's phone.

Honest question, has it ever happened in the history of smartphones that a new phone is slower than last year's version?

In any case, I still haven't seen any data on how many of these have shipped, only that there have been 9-10 million preorders by over 100 global carriers. Were those 9-10 million delivered on the first day? Is that the amount expected to be delivered over the quarter? How many of this smaller subset have been sold to customers thus far?

No one knows.

Again, you are talking about something which you know nothing about. You make yourself look worse with each additional post.

nooaah
Jun 26, 2012, 10:47 PM
If Samsung would have been prepared for this, they would have shattered 4s sales in the firs month. The phone s in such high demand, stores can't even get one to demo

This is coming from an S3 owner (well, on pre-order) but I know Samsung has said they are meeting demand now after falling behind earlier. I don't think they would've broken any records no matter what, but this is clearly one of the most, if not the most, successful cell phone launches not made by Apple in a long time.

DodgeV83
Jun 26, 2012, 10:48 PM
Not sure why you continue to put out crap info. I happen to own both the S2 and S3 and just ran a benchmark on both. Results below. I'll let you guess which one is the S2 and which is the S3.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/18179939-803a-9fc5.jpg)

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/18179939-8050-d632.jpg)

Because its true? Here are the industry accepted and resolution standardized benchmarks:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6022/47418.png

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/eanms1dr/Selection_155.png

0m3ga
Jun 26, 2012, 11:16 PM
Because its true? Here are the industry accepted and resolution standardized benchmarks:

Here educate yourself: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

It's funny. For someone that doesn't even own an S2 or S3, as I do, and show you with evidence that you are wrong, by actually running benchmarks on both phones just now, you keep your head firmly stuck in the sand. You're like a 5 year old kid putting his hands over his ears saying, "La la la la. I can't hear you. La la la la"

blairh
Jun 26, 2012, 11:23 PM
Forget what I said about the LG Optimus 4X HD. Apparently there is an LG phone (LG Optimus LTE II (http://androidcommunity.com/lg-optimus-lte2-hands-on-20120515/)) coming to Verizon potentially this summer (http://thedroidguy.com/2012/06/lg-vs930optimus-lte-ii-hits-the-fcc-with-verizon-and-att-bands/) that is like the 4X HD but with LTE and a physical home button. Woah.

DodgeV83
Jun 26, 2012, 11:23 PM
Here educate yourself: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

It's funny. For someone that doesn't even own an S2 or S3, as I do, and show you with evidence that you are wrong, by actually running benchmarks on both phones just now, you keep your head firmly stuck in the sand. You're like a 5 year old kid putting his hands over his ears saying, "La la la la. I can't hear you. La la la la"

That link actually substantiates my claim, showing that the US version is half the speed of the international version.

0m3ga
Jun 26, 2012, 11:37 PM
That link actually substantiates my claim, showing that the US version is half the speed of the international version.

I never said anything to the contrary. Everyone knows the quad core S3 has a better GPU score than any phone ever made. This was never in question. We also know why the US version didn't get the quad core... No support for LTE. This wasn't an intentional disparityto differentiate the int'l version with the US version, but a required neccessity. Do a little google search, for christ's sake.

However, YOU made claims that the S2 had a faster GPU than the S3. You also brought upthe 4S being faster in GPU performance over the S3 by showing that graphic. You intentionally lied or are simply ignorant. Either way, you have zero credbility in this discussion.
You pretending like you have a clue about anything related to the S3, or Android for that matter, shows how little you actually care about being honest, with yourself and this board. Please stop lying to people.

Vegastouch
Jun 26, 2012, 11:49 PM

He does that a lot while also just repeating himself over and over. The graph he posted is the only industry accepted score.... Lol :rolleyes:

Lobwedgephil
Jun 26, 2012, 11:53 PM
Just to jump in on this, having a 4s and a S3 as my work phone. I never liked email on the iPhone bc it was never as good as it was from blackberry, the only thing they still do well. But the my 4s now pretty much gets emails in real time, while my S3 doesn't unless you have a gmail account. I have multiple emails and it drives me crazy when I can't get them in almost real time.

That is the only flaw major flaw that I see in the S3 without gmail, which no one mentions. Otherwise they are both great phones.

DodgeV83
Jun 26, 2012, 11:55 PM
I never said anything to the contrary. Everyone knows the quad core S3 has a better GPU score than any phone ever made. This was never in question. We also know why the US version didn't get the quad core... No support for LTE. This wasn't an intentional disparityto differentiate the int'l version with the US version, but a required neccessity. Do a little google search, for christ's sake.

However, YOU made claims that the S2 had a faster GPU than the S3. You also brought upthe 4S being faster in GPU performance over the S3 by showing that graphic. You intentionally lied or are simply ignorant. Either way, you have zero credbility in this discussion.
You pretending like you have a clue about anything related to the S3, or Android for that matter, shows how little you actually care about being honest, with yourself and this board. Please stop lying to people.

Fact: The S2 beats the US S3 in the aforementioned GPU benchmark, the standard and most commonly used GPU benchmark for comparing mobile phone GPUs.

Fact: The iPhone 4S remains the best graphically performing phone in the US.

These are my claims, and you have shown nothing to disprove them.

ChazUK
Jun 27, 2012, 12:03 AM
Fact: The S2 beats the US S3 in the aforementioned GPU benchmark, the standard and most commonly used GPU benchmark for comparing mobile phone GPUs.

These are my claims, and you have shown nothing to disprove them.

That's the international S2 with the Mali400, I thought you were excluding international variants? I'm assuming all the LTE S2's are once again Snapdragon based?

I've also seen people post links where the HSPA+ i9300 are sold in the US. Any reason why these don't count?

0m3ga
Jun 27, 2012, 12:14 AM
That's the international S2 with the Mali400, I thought you were excluding international variants? I'm assuming all the LTE S2's are once again Snapdragon based?

I've also seen people post links where the HSPA+ i9300 are sold in the US. Any reason why these don't count?

It's pointless to argue with this guy. I have both US versions of the phones and run a benchmark showing he's wrong. I point him to Anandtech's website showing he is wrong. I'm not sure of any other way to show this guy that he looks and sounds like a fool. He IS the textbook version of the religiously Apple faithful. Doesn't matter what you say or prove, it won't be enough. He's simply blissful in his ignorance and chooses to be that way. There is no further reason for me to respond to anything he says.

DodgeV83
Jun 27, 2012, 12:20 AM
I point him to Anandtech's website showing he is wrong.

Show me where on the Anandtech website where it shows my following claims are incorrect, and I will admit to being wrong. Your link literally addresses none of my claims.

ChazUK
Jun 27, 2012, 12:24 AM
Show me where on the Anandtech website where it shows my following claims are incorrect, and I will admit to being wrong. Your link literally addresses none of my claims.

Why is it OK to *include* the international S2 in your claims to then *exclude* the i9300?

Is this the reason?

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5810/46302.png

0m3ga
Jun 27, 2012, 12:39 AM
Just to jump in on this, having a 4s and a S3 as my work phone. I never liked email on the iPhone bc it was never as good as it was from blackberry, the only thing they still do well. But the my 4s now pretty much gets emails in real time, while my S3 doesn't unless you have a gmail account. I have multiple emails and it drives me crazy when I can't get them in almost real time.

That is the only flaw major flaw that I see in the S3 without gmail, which no one mentions. Otherwise they are both great phones.

You can set mail servers like hotmail to Push. Just have to go into account and sync settings for your microsoft exchange server. Easy to do on the SIII.

----------

Look I know you aren't illterate, since you are posting on here. Is it hard for you to look at graphs that disprove what you choose to believe as fact?
Here is some spoon feeding for you, direct from the LINK i gave you! (Anandtech website by the way). And I guess me actually doing a benchmark test with both phones wasn't enough evidence for you? How about you conduct your own benchmark of the iP4s, S2 and S3. Oh that's right, you can't, since you have never owned an S2 or S3.

S3 GPU Performance: Insanely Fast
While we don't know the clocks of the Mali-400/MP4 GPU in the SGS3, it's obviously significantly quicker than its predecessor. Similar to what we saw when the Galaxy S II launched, Samsung once again takes the crown for fastest smartphone GPU in our performance tests.*

The onscreen GLBenchmark Egypt and Pro results are understandably v-sync limited, but if you look at how much headroom is available thanks to the faster GPU it's clear that the Galaxy S III should be able to handle newer, more complex games, better than its predecessor.

What's particularly insane is that Samsung is able to deliver better performance than the iPhone 4S, the previous king-of-the-GPU-hill in these tests.

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5810/46302.png

DodgeV83
Jun 27, 2012, 12:42 AM
Why is it OK to *include* the international S2 in your claims to then *exclude* the i9300?

Is this the reason?

Image (http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5810/46302.png)

If you look back at my posts in this thread earlier today (one page back (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15132823&postcount=440)), you'll see I acknowledged the international S3 has the best GPU performance of any phone ever.

That's not what we're talking about here. You guys/girls seem like pretty knowledgable people, is it possible you're misreading what I'm saying?

You can argue about my motive, you can make the argument that I'm cherry-picking specific devices, and you can even make the argument that I'm artificially limiting my statements to specific regions to make a point...but you cannot argue that the numbers, and my claims based on those numbers are incorrect.

----------

Look I know you aren't illterate, since you are posting on here. Is it hard for you to look at graphs that disprove what you choose to believe as fact?
Here is some spoon feeding for you, direct from the LINK i gave you! (Anandtech website by the way)

Image (http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5810/46302.png)

0m3ga, I hope you do not take offense, but I think you are misreading my argument.

ChazUK
Jun 27, 2012, 12:57 AM
If you look back at my posts in this thread earlier today (one page back (http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15132823&postcount=440)), you'll see I acknowledged the international S3 has the best GPU performance of any phone ever.

That's not what we're talking about here. You guys/girls seem like pretty knowledgable people, is it possible you're misreading what I'm saying?

You can argue about my motive, you can make the argument that I'm cherry-picking specific devices, and you can even make the argument that I'm artificially limiting my statements to specific regions to make a point...but you cannot argue that the numbers, and my claims based on those numbers are incorrect.

I'm not refuting the figures at all. It just strikes me as odd that:

"The S2 beats the US S3 in the aforementioned GPU benchmark"
And
"Fact: The iPhone 4S remains the best graphically performing phone in the US.."

Are both being said in the same post. What is the metric for a phone being "in the us"? Online availability? Availability in brick and mortar stores?

I question this as I've seen members of XDA posting about their i9300 variant s3's on the boards.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1696025

You may have clarified what "in the US" means to you already so if you have already, apologies.

DodgeV83
Jun 27, 2012, 01:04 AM
I'm not refuting the figures at all. It just strikes me as odd that:

"The S2 beats the US S3 in the aforementioned GPU benchmark"
And
"Fact: The iPhone 4S remains the best graphically performing phone in the US.."

Are both being said in the same post. What is the metric for a phone being "in the us"? Online availability? Availability in brick and mortar stores?

I question this as I've seen members of XDA posting about their i9300 variant s3's on the boards.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1696025

You may have clarified what "in the US" means to you already so if you have already, apologies.

Nope, I haven't clarified what I mean by "in the US", my mistake ChazUk. If the S3 is being sold by a US carrier (not an import, or bought unsubsidized overseas and shipped over or anything like that), I will rescind my statement.

Edit: Yea, they're talking about buying the "International Samsung S3" for full-price, instead of the "US branded" one, and having it shipped overseas.

kis
Jun 27, 2012, 01:09 AM

AFAIK you can set up multiple Exchange accounts on the SGS III. Not sure though, I only use Gmail on mine. I also have both phones and have to say I couldn't care less about the whole benchmark discussion. The iPhone 4S is definitely quicker and more fluid in everyday use. That said, the SGS III is still vastly more useful to me. The screen just beats the crap out of the iPhone's. Browsing the web, reading RSS feeds etc. is so much better on the Samsung. And mail.app isn't really great for Gmail users.

matttye
Jun 27, 2012, 01:21 AM
Nope, I haven't clarified what I mean by "in the US", my mistake ChazUk. If the S3 is being sold by a US carrier (not an import, or bought unsubsidized overseas and shipped over or anything like that), I will rescind my statement.

Edit: Yea, they're talking about buying the "International Samsung S3" for full-price, instead of the "US branded" one, and having it shipped overseas.

I don't know why they provide a downgraded gpu; is it compatibility issues with S4?

In any event, a heavy gamer can quite easily order the international version and "settle" for HSPA+ network speeds... Which are still very fast. It's a simple matter of weighing up what's most important. People that use the international version aren't going to be complaining about how slow data is. I can stream hd YouTube on HSPA+ will minimal buffering.

Obviously it would be better if it had the faster GPU, CPU and LTE, but that's not possible at the moment.

0m3ga
Jun 27, 2012, 01:45 AM

I have specifically stated my "US version" of the S3. I am with AT&T. Verizon is the only carrier that hasn't begun shipping S3's to their customers.

DodgeV83
Jun 27, 2012, 02:25 AM
I have specifically stated my "US version" of the S3. I am with AT&T. Verizon is the only carrier that hasn't begun shipping S3's to their customers.

Opps, I accidentally a word :)

Meant to say:

"If the international S3 is being sold by a US carrier"

BaldiMac
Jun 27, 2012, 08:02 AM

Sigh. Of course they were sold eventually. :rolleyes: My claim was that we don't know how many were sold on launch day.

I'm not sure how selling at less than half the rate of the iPhone 4S is "iPhone-esque".

matttye
Jun 27, 2012, 10:22 AM
Sigh. Of course they were sold eventually. :rolleyes: My claim was that we don't know how many were sold on launch day.

I'm not sure how selling at less than half the rate of the iPhone 4S is "iPhone-esque".

It's iPhone-esque because the Galaxy S3 is only one of many Android phones, one of many Samsung Galaxy phones actually, yet it still racks up high sales.

iPhone 4S is one of only five iPhones, so it sells a lot better.

The problem that Android has is that there's so much to choose from, so sometimes people pick a different phone that's only slightly different as it better suits their needs.

Android has more competition from Android than iOS!

Sensamic
Jun 27, 2012, 11:51 AM
Offline voice typing!!!! This is what I wanted the most!!

mbell1975
Jun 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
The problem that Android has is that there's so much to choose from, so sometimes people pick a different phone that's only slightly different as it better suits their needs.

Since when are more choices a bad thing? Only a blind Apple fanboy would ever think that LOL Who cares how many phones a company sells unless you have stock in it. If you have an Accord, are you sitting there counting how many Honda sells and blasting people for buying a Camry?

DodgeV83
Jun 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
Since when are more choices a bad thing? Only a blind Apple fanboy would ever think that LOL Who cares how many phones a company sells unless you have stock in it. If you have an Accord, are you sitting there counting how many Honda sells and blasting people for buying a Camry?

As someone said earlier, this is different because people expect continuous support, updates, and new/great software built specifically for their devices. When a company has a large number of different devices in the same category, and is continuously pushing the new one on you, they lose the incentive to provide these services to the customer.

On the contrary, doing so would actually lose them money, because they only make money on the initial sale, and need people to buy new devices in order to make more money.

Considering this, the car comparison is not valid.

For a comparison, consider the video game console market. If you own the Xbox360, you want everyone to buy that instead of the PS3. That way, more software is made specifically for your console, instead of being ported over, resulting in much better software and a much better experience for you, the consumer.

Now imagine if there were 100 different Xbox consoles, new ones were coming out every few months, all with different supported resolutions, different hardware buttons, different aspect ratios, different pixel densities, different graphics cards, different CPUs, different number of CPUs, different software running in the background, different OS versions, different audio subsystems...etc.

This is the complete opposite of what you would want as an Xbox owner, as it would pretty much guarantee that no software would be made for your specific console in mind.

sentinelsx
Jun 27, 2012, 12:44 PM

It sounded like a simple and somewhat valid observation. I fail to see where he was blasting anything :P

It is true if samsung was the only android OEM they probably would have even higher sales, depending on various factors. But the pie is shared.

matttye
Jun 27, 2012, 01:05 PM

It's not a bad thing.

I meant that it's a problem because it skews the figures somewhat. People don't seem to comprehend that indivudual iPhones sell better than individual Android phones because there's less models of iPhone to choose from.

If someone wants to buy an Android device they're presented with hundreds of choices, making it less likely they will pick a particular model (in this case, the Galaxy S3), than if there were fewer models. There could be ten flagship Android devices from various companies on the go at any given time.

In stark contrast, when someone wants to buy an iPhone, there's only five to choose from in total with only one of those models being a flagship at any given time, so the likelihood is that someone will buy the latest iPhone.

If there were hundreds of iPhones to choose from, each iPhone would sell less too!

Common sense imo.

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 01:15 PM
Jelly Bean looks great. Swiftkey-like improvements to the keyboard, offline voice dictation, and expandable notifications from the drop down menu. Promising stuff.

When the SGIII will get JB though is anyone's guess.

matttye
Jun 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
Jelly Bean looks great. Swiftkey-like improvements to the keyboard, offline voice dictation, and expandable notifications from the drop down menu. Promising stuff.

When the SGIII will get JB though is anyone's guess.

You didn't mention the most impressive feature - Google Now! :P

Just hope it works properly outside of the US. They always only demo US sports teams, US locations etc. :(

Took about four months for custom ICS ROMs to be become stable enough to use daily, six months for ICS to actually be released by Samsung for the S2.

PhoneI
Jun 27, 2012, 03:55 PM
Offline voice typing!!!! This is what I wanted the most!!

why? How often are you offline and feel the need to dictate something to your phone?

I am only offline when I am in a subway, tunnel, or airplane. I never once thought to myself, now would be a great time to do some dictation.

onthecouchagain
Jun 27, 2012, 03:58 PM
why? How often are you offline and feel the need to dictate something to your phone?

I am only offline when I am in a subway, tunnel, or airplane. I never once thought to myself, now would be a great time to do some dictation.

Would you also question the necessity of this feature were it offered by iOS? Is it really inconceivable why this might be a feature that others would be excited about? Do people only lose service the exact same places you lose service?

You know, just asking.

PhoneI
Jun 27, 2012, 04:07 PM
Would you also question the necessity of this feature were it offered by iOS? Is it really inconceivable why this might be a feature that others would be excited about? Do people only lose service the exact same places you lose service?

You know, just asking.

I am questioning how this is truly a useful feature at all (no matter who supplies it). You need to stop being so defensive. Not everything is a big conspiracy against things you like.

I like the improved notification system of jellybean, but everything else didn't really interest me.

matttye
Jun 27, 2012, 04:17 PM
I am questioning how this is truly a useful feature at all (no matter who supplies it). You need to stop being so defensive. Not everything is a big conspiracy against things you like.

I like the improved notification system of jellybean, but everything else didn't really interest me.

You could use it to dictate emails and texts even if they can't be sent there and then. You could also use it to dictate notes.

Personally I don't have a use for it, but it will obviously be handy for some people.

Sensamic
Jun 27, 2012, 06:06 PM

Maybe thats because you don't type hundreds of words every single day on your notes app. I do. And many, many times Im not on an internet or 3G connection (if Im in my bedroom or a families house without WIFI).

Do you think your case scenario is the only one?

PhoneI
Jun 27, 2012, 08:19 PM
Maybe thats because you don't type hundreds of words every single day on your notes app. I do. And many, many times Im not on an internet or 3G connection (if Im in my bedroom or a families house without WIFI).

Do you think your case scenario is the only one?

Never said that. I actually am a very heavy notes user. I just can't ever really think of a time I am without cell or wifi connectivity where I need to dictate a note. I guess its a nice feature to have but certainly not one to be used by many people. Unless you think your usage is common.

Can you give me an example when you do not have any connectivity and want to dictate a note?

----------

You could use it to dictate emails and texts even if they can't be sent there and then. You could also use it to dictate notes

like when? When I'm on a plane? Somehow I don't think the person sitting next to me would love that I feel the need to dictate emails at this time.

bad03xtreme
Jun 27, 2012, 08:33 PM
What would be a better option for a first smartphone a Galaxy SIII or a Galaxy Nexus? I am being forced by Verizon to upgrade tonight or I be forced to their new plan.

PhoneI
Jun 27, 2012, 08:40 PM
What would be a better option for a first smartphone a Galaxy SIII or a Galaxy Nexus? I am being forced by Verizon to upgrade tonight or I be forced to their new plan.

well since this is an apple message board, you are obviously in the right place. I mean why would you go to an Android board to ask this when you can come here?

Anyway, I would wait on the SIII.

bad03xtreme
Jun 27, 2012, 08:48 PM
well since this is an apple message board, you are obviously in the right place. I mean why would you go to an Android board to ask this when you can come here?

Anyway, I would wait on the SIII.

Well I was gonna wait it out for the new iPhone but my hand is being forced by Verizon and I don't want to spend $199.00 on a phone that will be outdated in a few months.

faroZ06
Jun 27, 2012, 08:52 PM
Shut up. Whatever Apple does = justified. Who could argue, it is Apple after all. The 2nd biggest company in the world.

Everything you just said is wrong. Don't be a fanboy. Also, Apple is the largest company at the moment. It doesn't mean anything. Sure more people use Windows, but it's still garbage.

faroZ06
Jun 27, 2012, 08:58 PM
Apple users generally don't live to troll android forums because they don't care.

Android users are generally insecure and it chaps their rump that most Apple customers are content with their purchase and simply do not care about android.

The android community cares far more about Apple and what Apple consumers think than vice versa.

Exactly. There are a lot of people here who just complain about everything Apple does. Can't people just shut up about what phones they have? I mean, it's a PHONE.

----------

It's pretty funny that you say this. Reading these threads, the only insecurity I see are iPhone users trying to justify how great the 4s is. When the facts are show the iphone 4S is slower, lacking in features and that the ICS OS is smoother than iOS, the last things we hear from the Apple fans is, "Well, my iphone has better resale value" or "Yeah, but my screen is retina" or finally "iOS developrs get paid more".

I enjoy reading it all, even if it does make me pity you, at least I get a good chuckle in.

In response to the bold... https://dl.dropbox.com/u/643634/n0%20animated.gif

And obviously, the iPhone users don't care about the features that are missing and the weaker computing power or find more benefits in the iPhone than setbacks. Maybe the user doesn't need 4G LTE (me), or the user doesn't need game console emulators (and doesn't want to jailbreak). I honestly don't care how many cores my phone has, few people do, and very few people even need the extra cores.

If you need a fast phone and certain features and don't really use any Apple products, get a Droid if it fits you, but don't go around trying to get people to switch because none of them care how good the Droid is for you specifically. I remember when people used to tell me to get a Droid because the iPhone doesn't have Verizon support, but AT&T is much better in my area anyway.

Sensamic
Jun 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
Never said that. I actually am a very heavy notes user. I just can't ever really think of a time I am without cell or wifi connectivity where I need to dictate a note. I guess its a nice feature to have but certainly not one to be used by many people. Unless you think your usage is common.

Can you give me an example when you do not have any connectivity and want to dictate a note?

----------

like when? When I'm on a plane? Somehow I don't think the person sitting next to me would love that I feel the need to dictate emails at this time.

What if you are in the countryside and theres no 3G? What if you have no WIFI access on most of the rooms of your house?

On the US maybe theres 3G (and 4G) everywhere, but outside the US we still don't have 3G everywhere. Not depending on 3G is an amazing feature. Its always better not to have to rely on anything but your phone!

faroZ06
Jun 27, 2012, 09:02 PM
Post deleted (responded to a spam post)

depths
Jun 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
don't go around trying to get people to switch because none of them care how good the Droid is for you specifically..
I remember when people used to tell me to get a Droid because the iPhone doesn't have Verizon support..

Droid is a device produced by Motorola.
Android is an os made by Google.

Saying "get a Droid/Android" is kind of like saying "get an IOS".

Now I feel dirty. I'm that guy.

edit: I realise you were referring to a device running Android but in my opinion you need to be specific when it comes to phones running Android. As we all know there's a huge difference between your $50 prepaid and a GSM Nexus for example.

mbell1975
Jun 27, 2012, 09:49 PM
Too bad Apple didn't wait another month to announce iOS 6. Plenty of good stuff in Android 4.1 they could have stole and added to the iPhone...

http://phandroid.com/2012/06/27/all-the-new-features-in-android-4-1-jelly-bean/

nooaah
Jun 27, 2012, 09:57 PM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=27801341&postcount=620

This makes me want to cancel my S3 preorder just so I can never be associated with someone like that haha.

Exio
Jun 27, 2012, 10:01 PM
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=27801341&postcount=620

This makes me want to cancel my S3 preorder just so I can never be associated with someone like that haha.

Funny because it's true :p

PhoneI
Jun 28, 2012, 09:52 AM
What if you are in the countryside and theres no 3G? What if you have no WIFI access on most of the rooms of your house?

On the US maybe theres 3G (and 4G) everywhere, but outside the US we still don't have 3G everywhere. Not depending on 3G is an amazing feature. Its always better not to have to rely on anything but your phone!

ok, but you have to admit, the likelihood of this happening at a time you want to dictate a note or email is probably small for most people.

aldo82
Jun 28, 2012, 10:04 AM
ok, but you have to admit, the likelihood of this happening at a time you want to dictate a note or email is probably small for most people.
What if you're roaming? I think it makes perfect sense to offer features with an offline mode especially when travelling and don't want data charges. Google maps now having an offline mode is also a plus. Yes its limited at the moment to just the map (no search or navigation) but simply having access to a map always on you when travelling somewhere new where data charges would cost the earth is a massive plus. Yes you can get offline map apps for the iphone but certainly the ones I've seen are not a patch on what google maps offers for detail

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 01:40 PM

I prefer offline dictation because I'd rather not use the Internet for something that can be done on the device itself.

Everyone keeps asking "well when will you need to use offline dictation" or variations of that question, but the question should be why the hell does dictation need to use the network in the first place?

There are no disadvantages to offline dictation. There are disadvantages to online dictation.

My 2p.

nefan65
Jun 28, 2012, 01:54 PM
Too bad Apple didn't wait another month to announce iOS 6. Plenty of good stuff in Android 4.1 they could have stole and added to the iPhone...

http://phandroid.com/2012/06/27/all-the-new-features-in-android-4-1-jelly-bean/

You mean like JB's swipe up to close an app; ala WebOS? I see..:cool:

I guess JB also stole from Apple...you know, the whole "Buttery" thing. iOS has been running like "Butter" for a while.

mbell1975
Jun 28, 2012, 01:57 PM
You mean like JB's swipe up to close an app; ala WebOS? I see..:cool:

oooohhh, wow. Swipe up is such a ripoff! I mean its not like they stole an entire notification system right? :rolleyes:

Zaft
Jun 28, 2012, 02:02 PM
oooohhh, wow. Swipe up is such a ripoff! I mean its not like they stole an entire notification system right? :rolleyes:
what exactly is your goal being at this forum? grow up

nefan65
Jun 28, 2012, 02:04 PM

Wow...what a hypocrite...