PDA

View Full Version : [phones] iPhone 4S vs Galaxy S3

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 02:19 PM
You mean like JB's swipe up to close an app; ala WebOS? I see..:cool:

I guess JB also stole from Apple...you know, the whole "Buttery" thing. iOS has been running like "Butter" for a while.

Not sure that Google stole that from WebOS.

In ice cream sandwich they implemented a lot of swipe gestures; swipe a notification aside, swipe an app aside in the multitasking window, swipe browser tabs aside in chrome.

Being able to swipe an app off the screen is just an extension of that.

nefan65
Jun 28, 2012, 02:26 PM

In ice cream sandwich they implemented a lot of swipe gestures; swipe a notification aside, swipe an app aside in the multitasking window, swipe browser tabs aside in chrome.

Swipe, and close [meaning to terminate the app] is from WebOS. During the I/O presentation, the person doing the presentation said "This is new too, when you want to close and terminate the running app, just swipe it up off the screen".

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 02:29 PM
Swipe, and close [meaning to terminate the app] is from WebOS. During the I/O presentation, the person doing the presentation said "This is new too, when you want to close and terminate the running app, just swipe it up off the screen".

I'm not saying that it wasn't in WebOS first, just that Google probably came up with the idea on their own; it's not that different to their other gestures after all.

Not saying they didn't steal it, just that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they came up with the idea themselves rather than seeing it in WebOS. :p

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 02:41 PM
I personally don't care who steals from who. In fact, I wish Apple stole more from Google (better keyboard, better mail, better browser...).

Everyone copies from everyone and that makes each respective platform better. The only time copying gets ridiculous is if people say when Apple copies, they're just adopting industry standards, but when others copy, they're just copycats and not innovators.

nefan65
Jun 28, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm not saying that it wasn't in WebOS first, just that Google probably came up with the idea on their own; it's not that different to their other gestures after all.

Not saying they didn't steal it, just that it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they came up with the idea themselves rather than seeing it in WebOS. :p

Right...so using your logic, Apple didn't STEAL notifications. They already had it, just didn't release it...I'll need to remember that for all future discussions.

----------

I personally don't care who steals from who. In fact, I wish Apple stole more from Google (better keyboard, better mail, better browser...).

Everyone copies from everyone and that makes each respective platform better. The only time copying gets ridiculous is if people say when Apple copies, they're just adopting industry standards, but when others copy, they're just copycats and not innovators.

Goes both ways. Go to other boards, and it's no different...

matttye
Jun 28, 2012, 02:48 PM
Right...so using your logic, Apple didn't STEAL notifications. They already had it, just didn't release it...I'll need to remember that for all future discussions.

Its possible, but Apple didn't have anything even remotely similar. Google has lots of similar gestures already, some of which serve similar purposes!

Vegastouch
Jun 28, 2012, 07:05 PM

I dont know if WebOS had that or not(never used WebOS) but i sure do like it that Android does now. WebOS didnt last long as far a i know so if they copied, at least they took one good thing from it.

I hated not being able to get rid of notifications that i didnt want to read...such as a Facebook notice from someone that always posts meaningless things. Love that i can swipe those away.

Everybody copies so i dont know what the big deal is.

alphaod
Jun 28, 2012, 08:00 PM
Not sure why you continue to put out crap info. I happen to own both the S2 and S3 and just ran a benchmark on both. Results below. I'll let you guess which one is the S2 and which is the S3.

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/18179939-803a-9fc5.jpg)

Image (http://img.tapatalk.com/18179939-8050-d632.jpg)

Are you sure you don't have the International S3, oppose to the US S3?

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 08:21 PM
Are you sure you don't have the International S3, oppose to the US S3?

Yep. As you can see, it says i747 aka at&t version of the Galaxy S3.

Edit: by the way, you can tell from the image it was the US variant. It's the only mobile device running 2gb of RAM.

http://img.tapatalk.com/18179939-0351-9ba2.jpg

0m3ga
Jun 28, 2012, 08:33 PM
Right...so using your logic, Apple didn't STEAL notifications. They already had it, just didn't release it...I'll need to remember that for all future discussions...

I agree with you. Google saw something that just works and stole it for ICS. Just like a couple of Cydia developers did for jailbroken iphones/ipads. WebOS is defunct. Why not use great ideas from a dead OS?

Sensamic
Jun 28, 2012, 08:35 PM
I prefer offline dictation because I'd rather not use the Internet for something that can be done on the device itself.

Everyone keeps asking "well when will you need to use offline dictation" or variations of that question, but the question should be why the hell does dictation need to use the network in the first place?

There are no disadvantages to offline dictation. There are disadvantages to online dictation.

My 2p.

Very, very well said.

Im curious to try the new Google Voice Search and Google Now. I suppose it will work with other languagues, since Google Voice Search already does. The new swype up from the bottom of the screen to activate Voice search is awesome. Way better than double click home button for Siri.

It has taken me a week to adapt to the keyboards on Android coming from iOS. Swiftkey is also awesome. It learns my most common words and adds them automatically. Plus many other options to customize the keyboard. This is just far more advanced than iOS.

Every day I use Google Maps on Android Im more and more surprised. Theres no way Apple can ever beat them at this. The latest additions are offline maps and compass mode on Street View (plus street view inside buildings).

I think Apple will always have trouble adding this kind of features because of their own restrictions.

onthecouchagain
Jun 28, 2012, 09:31 PM
I finally handled an SGIII in person today, and I have to say the form factor is nice. I couldn't believe how thin it was. The screen is definitely pushing the boundaries of a device that is easily handled with one hand, but I could see people getting used to it. THe build quality is excellent. It doesn't feel cheap at all.

However, there are two things I can't get over. Admittedly it was only a brief time, TouchWiz just irks me. Something about it is messy and clunky. I just love the sleekness of stock ICS (and soon JB). And secondly, I can't stand the hard button. I'm disappointed Samsung didn't go with on screen buttons like the GNexus did. I've gotten so spoiled by the OS home button that having a hard button just doesn't feel right.

Just me though. Lovely device, but I'm happy to stick with my GN.

kevinof
Jun 29, 2012, 04:05 AM
I also don't like the touchwiz launcher - Ajax is an alternative which is same as the ICS launcher. Much much better.

monkeylui
Jun 29, 2012, 04:48 AM
I finally handled an SGIII in person today, and I have to say the form factor is nice. I couldn't believe how thin it was. The screen is definitely pushing the boundaries of a device that is easily handled with one hand, but I could see people getting used to it. THe build quality is excellent. It doesn't feel cheap at all.

However, there are two things I can't get over. Admittedly it was only a brief time, TouchWiz just irks me. Something about it is messy and clunky. I just love the sleekness of stock ICS (and soon JB). And secondly, I can't stand the hard button. I'm disappointed Samsung didn't go with on screen buttons like the GNexus did. I've gotten so spoiled by the OS home button that having a hard button just doesn't feel right.

Just me though. Lovely device, but I'm happy to stick with my GN.

That's interesting about the home button. I like it. Coming from iPhone I'm use to having it down there. It's unobtrusive I think.

I agree though that it is a lovely device. I'm so glad I got it. While I'm still learning it from transitioning from iPhone I gotta say it's pretty easy to use & just works. Yes, it just works. Lol.

The only think I've done different is add widget locker. Other than that I'm fine with the device as is. I don't really have time to install, & research, roms & all that fancy stuff. So using some of the stuff that's in the play store works for me, like widget locker.

monkeylui
Jun 29, 2012, 04:51 AM
To the back & forth of who stole what. Who cares?? Everything is derivative of something else. Does it really matter? Where would we be if only Ford had the 1st car door handles, oh crap, maybe horse carriages had them first. Stop the presses!!!

nfl46
Jun 29, 2012, 05:27 AM
At the end of the day, all the OS will have the same thing. Since Apple starting pushing Siri with the 4S, now everyone wants a Siri competitor. Of course there were things before Siri but it wasn't pushed as a must have feature like it. There's only so much you can do to make your OS different. I just don't get the whole stealing features argument because everyone takes ideals from each other but twist them to fit their OS.

aldo82
Jun 29, 2012, 06:13 AM
At the end of the day, all the OS will have the same thing.

I'm not convinced unless apple open up more in the future. I have been a big iOS fan and would love to stick with them but I'm frustrated by their lack of openess. Android may be too open I'm not sure but nto allowing me to use a different browser, or sms client or email client as default is just ridulous. Why can't I use a different keyboard if I prefer. Even broswer apps have to be based on safari without all the good bits. I really don't get their approach now the app store is mature. 3rd party developers could make iOS so much better (I suppose thats where jailbreak comes in)

nefan65
Jun 29, 2012, 08:29 AM
I agree with you. Google saw something that just works and stole it for ICS. Just like a couple of Cydia developers did for jailbroken iphones/ipads. WebOS is defunct. Why not use great ideas from a dead OS?

I'm not opposed to it, nor am I opposed to taking ideas from relevant/current systems. They all do it. My response to the other poster was to show his hypocrisy. He stated how Apple stole Notifications from Android, but Android already had the idea for a new feature in JB, when it was clearly taken from WebOS. Meaning, it's okay for Android to do it, but not for Apple.

To be honest, I could care less who takes what. I want a solid system, on a decent phone, with a good battery. If you use the same, great. If not, good for you. Use what you like/want.

blairh
Jun 29, 2012, 12:04 PM
Jelly Bean looks excellent but I still contend that the SIII screen sucks compared to the iPhone 4/4S and One X. LG might be bringing some IPS panel Android devices with ICS and LTE this fall. That and the next iPhone are what I'm anticipating.

Let me save the people who want to reply that the iPhone screen is too small. Yes, I know.

Vegastouch
Jun 29, 2012, 12:20 PM
Im going today to get my GS3. Hopefully they have some in stock. Ill report back late if they do. I still havent handled one so the size is my only concern. The screen ...dont care about the bluish tint. Ive had a Vibrant (Galaxy S)for two years and the screen should actually be a huge upgrade regardless and both have the bluish tint.
The HTC One lineup screwed up by not having a Micro sd slot. I would also think the GS3 and read something on Pulse that Samsung is going to be more efficiant in getting out updates.

iPhone4peace
Jun 29, 2012, 03:17 PM
I found this review helpful. I was going to buy one, but changed my mind. I felt the same way after spending some time with the store model. And I feel better about not getting it after reading this.

Just to add some much needed balance to this debate...

I bought an S3 at the end of May, and had it for 3 weeks. It's a really good phone, and the OS is fine once you get used to it.

But I did feel compelled to sell it at the weekend at get an iPhone again, and I have to say that I'm pleased to be back.

The iPhone OS is still a quicker and smoother experience than Android ICS in my opinion. Despite what many are saying in this thread, I actually found that I've been able to text a lot quicker than I could on the S3. This, I admit, is probably partly due to my familiarity with iOS.

What I found with the S3, was that there was slight lag with opening some apps, and the screen refresh rate with screens containing widgets was noticable. You never get that with iOS, though widgets are a useful addition to have.

The iPhone screen is the thing I'm most pleased to have again though. Whilst the S3 has a good screen in low light conditions, it's really bad outdoors. To the point that it's of no use in sunny conditions. I'm sure S3 fans will try to convince themselves otherwise, but on maximum brightness, the S3 screen is too dim when used outdoors. In contrast, the iPhone screen is bright, sharp and perfectly usable in the sun. I really wanted to like the S3, but the screen was a deal breaker for me.

I was also in two minds about whether it was too big in the end. The screen's a nice usable size for web browsing, playing games and watching videos, but I did feel a bit self conscious 'getting it out' in public, especially for making calls. It does take up a sizeable space in your trouser/jean pocket too. Would I prefer the iPhone to have a slightly larger display ? Yes, a slightly larger display would be good.

Don't get me wrong, I'd definitely recommend as S3 as a great phone. But in conclusion, I prefer the size, bright and sharp screen, apps choice and smoother OS of the iphone.

Vegastouch
Jun 29, 2012, 03:38 PM
Couldnt get one today. Now i have to wait til the 1st(Sunday) for it to be in stores but they had a demo. Not as big as i thought it was going to be but i dont like the blue at all. Looks more purple so white it is.

DodgeV83
Jun 29, 2012, 03:52 PM
I found this review helpful. I was going to buy one, but changed my mind. I felt the same way after spending some time with the store model. And I feel better about not getting it after reading this.

I was surprised about this too, I asked some friends what they thought of the S3 and they both resoundly said:

1. It's sluggish.

2. It's slow.

If that's true (and the post you quoted seems to confirm he experienced the same), that's truly a shame.

lilo777
Jun 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
What I found with the S3, was that there was slight lag with opening some apps

That's really hard to believe. Even SGS2 opened apps faster than iPhone 4S. Both SGS2 and SGS3 have faster CPUs and more RAM than iPhone 4S and this is what matters most as far as he speed of loading apps is concerned. I have not seen a single review claiming that S3 was slow to open apps.

and the screen refresh rate with screens containing widgets was noticable. You never get that with iOS, though widgets are a useful addition to have.

What do you mean that refresh rate was slow? Like it was blinking or something? Again, highly unlikely. Granted if you use live wallpaper and have a few active widgets this may cause some hiccups but you can easily fix it -just switch to "iPhone mode" (i.e. get rid of live wallpaper and some widgets).

The iPhone screen is the thing I'm most pleased to have again though. Whilst the S3 has a good screen in low light conditions, it's really bad outdoors. To the point that it's of no use in sunny conditions. I'm sure S3 fans will try to convince themselves otherwise, but on maximum brightness, the S3 screen is too dim when used outdoors. In contrast, the iPhone screen is bright, sharp and perfectly usable in the sun. I really wanted to like the S3, but the screen was a deal breaker for me.

There is more than brightness to how well the screen performs outdoors. Contrast and reflections are important. In fact, GSMArena (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_vs_htc_one_x-review-759p2.php)concluded that SGSIII has the best screen for outdoor use:

Another area where the screens differ is sunlight legibility - the HTC One X is very good for an LCD and the excellent brightness contributes to that, but the non-reflectivity of the AMOLED screen gives the Samsung Galaxy S III the edge. In fact, the Galaxy S III emerges from our tests as the best outdoor performer we have seen to date.

DodgeV83
Jun 29, 2012, 04:25 PM
That's really hard to believe. Even SGS2 opened apps faster than iPhone 4S. Both SGS2 and SGS3 have faster CPUs and more RAM than iPhone 4S and this is what matters most as far as he speed of loading apps is concerned. I have not seen a single review claiming that S3 was slow to open apps.

What do you mean that refresh rate was slow? Like it was blinking or something? Again, highly unlikely. Granted if you use live wallpaper and have a few active widgets this may cause some hiccups but you can easily fix it -just switch to "iPhone mode" (i.e. get rid of live wallpaper and some widgets).

There is more than brightness to how well the screen performs outdoors. Contrast and reflections are important. In fact, GSMArena (http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_vs_htc_one_x-review-759p2.php)concluded that SGSIII has the best screen for outdoor use:

Another area where the screens differ is sunlight legibility - the HTC One X is very good for an LCD and the excellent brightness contributes to that, but the non-reflectivity of the AMOLED screen gives the Samsung Galaxy S III the edge. In fact, the Galaxy S III emerges from our tests as the best outdoor performer we have seen to date.

Opening apps is also dependent on the read speed of the medium it's on. Maybe he's opening apps on a slow memory card?

In any case, it's already been widely discussed how the Android dalvik java VM system can handicap even the fastest CPUs, resulting in iOS having superior performance. It wouldn't be the first time it's been reported that the iPhone 4S outperforms supposedly more powerful Android phones :)

cynics
Jun 29, 2012, 04:44 PM
I prefer offline dictation because I'd rather not use the Internet for something that can be done on the device itself.

Everyone keeps asking "well when will you need to use offline dictation" or variations of that question, but the question should be why the hell does dictation need to use the network in the first place?

There are no disadvantages to offline dictation. There are disadvantages to online dictation.

My 2p.

I totally agree. Online dictation sucks IMO. I have a Verizon 4S so the network is pretty slow. So I'll try to send a text while driving and it takes FOREVER and sometimes I get the three purple dots and they just disappear. Its so frustrating, especially considering that's the only thing I use Siri for. Why does it need to waste (literally if it doesn't spit out a response) my data for me to say "what are you doing tonight?"?

UCLAKoolman
Jun 29, 2012, 06:34 PM
Apple users generally don't live to troll android forums because they don't care.

Android users are generally insecure and it chaps their rump that most Apple customers are content with their purchase and simply do not care about android.

The android community cares far more about Apple and what Apple consumers think than vice versa.

THIS.

I swear Android fanboys are the most insecure people I have ever met. If there's an apple article on a tech site, you know it will be filled with these children.

Seriously, get the gadgets that work for you and ENJOY THEM.

OneMike
Jun 29, 2012, 06:42 PM
THIS.

I swear Android fanboys are the most insecure people I have ever met. If there's an apple article on a tech site, you know it will be filled with these children.

Seriously, get the gadgets that work for you and ENJOY THEM.

Side A always complains about B and vise versa. Just the way of life.

Technarchy
Jun 29, 2012, 06:56 PM
Side A always complains about B and vise versa. Just the way of life.

I would say most of the Apple consumer base is indifferent to android. Not like or dislike, but dont care at all.

I was a member of two large android forums before I made the switch and there very little chatter from apple users on either.

...but when there was whining it was the android club spewing. Funny how it's the same on android forums and apple forums.

applefanDrew
Jun 29, 2012, 06:58 PM
Here's a question about the new iPhone this fall… Will it use IGZO display technology? That could help with battery life.

nooaah
Jun 29, 2012, 07:11 PM
I would say most of the Apple consumer base is indifferent to android. Not like or dislike, but dont care at all.

I was a member of two large android forums before I made the switch and there very little chatter from apple users on either.

...but when there was whining it was the android club spewing. Funny how it's the same on android forums and apple forums.

Yup, one thing I've noticed since adding Android to my device pile is the forums I'm on now literally don't have a single person making threads trying to convince people they should buy iOS and that they're sheep for going with Android without considering an iPhone. I guess it's an underdog mentality that drives certain people into these forums to fight the good fight for Google and the hardware manufacturers that use their OS.

Technarchy
Jun 29, 2012, 07:21 PM
Yup, one thing I've noticed since adding Android to my device pile is the forums I'm on now literally don't have a single person making threads trying to convince people they should buy iOS and that they're sheep for going with Android without considering an iPhone. I guess it's an underdog mentality that drives certain people into these forums to fight the good fight for Google and the hardware manufacturers that use their OS.

At the same time touting androids million activations a day...

sentinelsx
Jun 29, 2012, 10:04 PM

I don't see it on XDA. Maybe in general but i don't go there. In device specific forums i have probably seen one apple thread in 2 years.

Android central and other forums are fanboy forums, what do you expect? XDA is where you can enjoy android without petty fanboyism.

mbell1975
Jun 29, 2012, 11:25 PM
I was surprised about this too, I asked some friends what they thought of the S3 and they both resoundly said:

1. It's sluggish.

2. It's slow.

If that's true (and the post you quoted seems to confirm he experienced the same), that's truly a shame.

Lmao. Every review site on earth gushes about how blazing fast the S3 is but your "friends" think it's sluggish and slow? LOL, what a joke :rolleyes:

DodgeV83
Jun 29, 2012, 11:29 PM
Lmao. Every review site on earth gushes about how blazing fast the S3 is but your "friends" think it's sluggish and slow? LOL, what a joke :rolleyes:

That's what they said, don't kill the messenger. I was surprised too, it did sound like a joke!

mbell1975
Jun 30, 2012, 12:04 AM
That's what they said, don't kill the messenger. I was surprised too, it did sound like a joke!

Let me guess, they both own iPhones right?

DodgeV83
Jun 30, 2012, 01:46 AM
Let me guess, they both own iPhones right?

They are actually both Android guys. One has the Captivate, and keeps complaining that whenever he visits a media heavy site in the browser, it takes 20-30 seconds to load his home screen as all the widgets were closed due to lack of ram.

The other guy has a touchpad running ICS and a Galaxy Nexus something phone (can never get the names straight).

They are both in the market for a new phone, but walked away unimpressed with the S3. The second guy is strictly Anti-Apple and would never consider the iPhone, but the first guy is open to seeing what Apple's next generation phone looks like.

When I asked again, not believing what I heard, they debated a bit on wither the S3 was "sluggish/choppy", or just "slow", and they both expressed dissatisfaction that the US didn't get the quad-core version. They went on to complain that they had to install a special driver on their current phones in order to unlock the full audio capabilities, and wondered if the S3 required the same.

matttye
Jun 30, 2012, 02:13 AM

There's very little chatter about Apple/iPhone on Android forums I visit too :p

Calidude
Jun 30, 2012, 02:19 AM
That's what happens when you have a userbase that is satisfied with how their OS works. iOS is clearly not satisfactory to many people here, hence the large number of people here who are converting from iOS to Android.

matttye
Jun 30, 2012, 02:41 AM
That's what happens when you have a userbase that is satisfied with how their OS works. iOS is clearly not satisfactory to many people here, hence the large number of people here who are converting from iOS to Android.

Exactly. I initially signed up for these forums as I had the first gen iPhone. Then I left when I sold it, and came back when I got an iPad 2. I'm an Android and an iPad user, I'm not here to troll about Android because I'm "insecure" - I'm happy with both of my choices - though I might get a Nexus 7 as it's so cheap!

AbyssImpact
Jun 30, 2012, 02:58 AM
iOS > Android.

Nuff said.

Sensamic
Jun 30, 2012, 12:21 PM
Jelly Bean and its project butter will make android phones even faster. My SGS3 is way faster than my 4. I can't wait to see even more improvements when project butter hits the phone.

Opening apps is also way faster. No way iPhone is faster in this. I had the 4 for 2 years and its very noticeable that it took 1 second a half more to open apps. Trying the iPad 3 A5 on store it seems theres no huge improvement in speed opening apps. I get the feeling that 1 second and a half is the standard for iOS to open apps.

The screen refresh ratio is indeed a problem, but only when you are using heavily your RAM. I have to get used to this anyways. Not enough reason to go back to iOS and the iPhone by any means. Android is so fun to play with. Right now I get between 250-300MB RAM free. So thats plenty enough for not having the screen refresh problem.

I downloaded an app called "multitask shortcut" from the android market. Search it and you will see the kind of fun stuff you can do with your android phone that iOS will never allow (except for jailbreak. I remember that the iOS 5 jailbreak untether came 2 and a half months after the public release. Thats too much to wait for each jailbreak).

If I balance the pros and cons of android and iOS I can tell you that iOS has many more cons in general, mainly due to apple taking too long to add certain features and many more they won't allow ever due to their restrictions.

I don't see apple implementing many of the cool things about android ever on iOS. That is a shame.

hot spare
Jun 30, 2012, 01:29 PM
I will wait for the day iPhone CAN do this:

46IiRyigUH0

Peanut207
Jun 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
iOS > Android.

Nuff said.

+ 1

Tried out the HTC One X and couldn't wait to get back my iPhone 4s and back into the comfy Apple eco system. :D

Tried to like it but I just couldn't. Was too big. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful screen but I like to be able to whip my phone out of my pocket and mess around with it with one hand which I can do with iPhone. Not so much with the 4.7" screen. You can, but it is a lot more challenging. I'm also way too invested with iTunes. Syncing with iTunes was a pain in the arse! Plus the droid's Bluetooth didn't play well with my cars stereo system and I have a 2012 Kia Optima. Don't know why that was a problem. My iPhone works seemlessly. I really do appreciate my iPhone 4s a lot more now. I know it's cheesy but it's true..it just works. ;)

AbyssImpact
Jun 30, 2012, 02:29 PM
+ 1

Tried out the HTC One X and couldn't wait to get back my iPhone 4s and back into the comfy Apple eco system. :D

Tried to like it but I just couldn't. Was too big. Don't get me wrong it's a beautiful screen but I like to be able to whip my phone out of my pocket and mess around with it with one hand which I can do with iPhone. Not so much with the 4.7" screen. You can, but it is a lot more challenging. I'm also way too invested with iTunes. Syncing with iTunes was a pain in the arse! Plus the droid's Bluetooth didn't play well with my cars stereo system and I have a 2012 Kia Optima. Don't know why that was a problem. My iPhone works seemlessly. I really do appreciate my iPhone 4s a lot more now. I know it's cheesy but it's true..it just works. ;)
Yep. Android has nothing on iOS. Without the iPhone, I bet Android wouldn't even exist. LMAO copy cat industry.

mbell1975
Jun 30, 2012, 02:38 PM
Yep. Android has nothing on iOS. Without the iPhone, I bet Android wouldn't even exist. LMAO copy cat industry.

Android was in development years before the iPhone was even released, you fail.

Winni
Jun 30, 2012, 02:45 PM
+ 1

Of course syncing with iTunes was a pain in the ass. Send your complaints to Cupertino, this is solely Apple's fault. They don't play well with others, it's that simple.

My experience with iPhone's and iPod's is that they never worked well with MY other toys, but all other products always did. That's why I finally dumped all of my iOS gadgets - in MY world, they are useless, incompatible trash, nothing else.

The 4.7" screen was too big for you? Well, the iPhone's tiny display is too small for me. But I bought a Galaxy Note BECAUSE it has the large screen.

Technarchy
Jun 30, 2012, 02:54 PM
Android was in development years before the iPhone was even released, you fail.

Do I have to bother showing what it looked like prior to Google seeing iOS and deciding to copy it?

http://www.tekgadg.com/storage/Android_before_after_iphone_tekgadg.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1320809333019

Vegastouch
Jun 30, 2012, 02:56 PM
I will wait for the day iPhone CAN do this:

46IiRyigUH0

That is some pretty cool stuff.

mbell1975
Jun 30, 2012, 02:57 PM
Do I have to bother showing what it looked like prior to Google seeing iOS and deciding to copy it.

And Apple copied most of it's OS from BB and Windows mobile and it's design is a total copy of the LG Prada. Apple didn't invent jack ish.

Vegastouch
Jun 30, 2012, 02:58 PM
+ 1

Id say it is the Kia's fault. The iPhone still dont work with a Toyota without having to use the cord. Android works well wirelessly with them.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 30, 2012, 03:03 PM

That's because MBR is very lenient compared to any Android forum I visited. If Apple fanboy's started excessive trolling over in an Android forum, instant ban before you can blink your eyes.

Technarchy
Jun 30, 2012, 03:31 PM
And Apple copied most of it's OS from BB and Windows mobile and it's design is a total copy of the LG Prada. Apple didn't invent jack ish.

Right because when the iPhone was shown in 2007 everyone said it was a Blackberry clone. Now that's interesting. Funny how neither RIM or MSFT took legal action. Their public reaction was dismissive and they mocked Apple. They both made it damn clear that the iPhone was going to fail.

Whoops.

And you fandroid zombies need to stop your half ass researched lies about the LG Prada and Samsung F700. Both were not show till after January 9th, 2007 when the iphone was shown at Macworld.

Plus Apple has a letter written to the FCC in late 2006 about keeping iPhone docs classified till after Macworld.

mbell1975
Jun 30, 2012, 03:50 PM
And you fandroid zombies need to stop your half ass researched lies about the LG Prada and Samsung F700. Both were not show till after January 9th, 2007 when the iphone was shown at Macworld

Wrong. The Prada was shown in the the fall of 2006. You fail. From Apple Insider.

"After the iPhone's debut, it was LG, not Samsung, that complained Apple had copied its design. LG had actually demonstrated its own full-screen smartphone in the fall of 2006, and like the iPhone, it had a largely black, minimalist front. It was first to market with a capacitive touchscreen, the same type subsequently used by the iPhone"

Vegastouch
Jun 30, 2012, 05:31 PM
Jelly Bean will be coming to the GS3 in Q4 of this year.

Mr D
Jun 30, 2012, 06:04 PM
Jelly Bean will be coming to the GS3 in Q4 of this year.

that's extremely late, considering it's just a minor 4.1 update.

there will already probably be a new Nexus at the time too.

Samsung updates FTL.

matttye
Jun 30, 2012, 06:10 PM
That's because MBR is very lenient compared to any Android forum I visited. If Apple fanboy's started excessive trolling over in an Android forum, instant ban before you can blink your eyes.

I agree, but there's a difference between trolling and simply stating how much you like the product and discussing.

If people posted why they prefer the iPhone in a civil way they wouldn't get banned from the forums I visit.

Mr D
Jun 30, 2012, 06:12 PM
I agree, but there's a difference between trolling and simply stating how much you like the product and discussing.

If people posted why they prefer the iPhone in a civil way they wouldn't get banned from the forums I visit.

Yes they would. They would be banned for bringing up Apple in a positive light too much.

And to sit here and act as if Android users don't troll here is trolling in itself.

matttye
Jun 30, 2012, 06:17 PM
Yes they would. They would be banned for bringing up Apple in a positive light too much.

And to sit here and act as if Android users don't troll here is trolling in itself.

No. No they wouldn't.

I didn't say Android users don't troll here. :confused: I would say not all Android users troll here. I find some iOS diehards troll just as much. I won't name names :p

Mac.World
Jun 30, 2012, 06:35 PM

Samsung updates FTL.

Extremely late? We are in Q3 now. But, regardless, where has it been posted that the S3 would get JB at any specific timeframe? And is this the int'l or US version? I doubt anyone with a US S3 will get JB any time soon, since the carriers take an extra 6 months to load their crapware onto it and then certify it. :D

MythicFrost
Jun 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
iOS comes from OS X.

matttye
Jun 30, 2012, 06:44 PM

Samsung updates FTL.

That's like two and a half months after the official release date of jelly bean for the galaxy nexus. Not long at all really.

Frankied22
Jun 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
Nowhere have I seen an official timeframe for SGIII getting JB. And like the above poster said, who knows when the US variants will get it. Its up to the carriers. The release of ICS on the SGII was different for each carrier. Go Nexus and buy unlocked.

ghost115
Jun 30, 2012, 07:03 PM
I have just come from android to ios and both have pros and cons but I find ios smoother and more reliable yes there may be app crashes time to time but not as much as my android did and there are more apps that utilise the hardware on ios but that's my opinion

mbell1975
Jun 30, 2012, 07:04 PM
Nowhere have I seen an official timeframe for SGIII getting JB.

Samsung has already said Q4

Mr D
Jun 30, 2012, 07:09 PM
That's like two and a half months after the official release date of jelly bean for the galaxy nexus. Not long at all really.

Last time I checked a quarter consists of 3 months. You really think Samsung is giving an update in the first month of the quarter?

Good luck with that.

Frankied22
Jun 30, 2012, 07:35 PM

Still doesn't mean the US variants will get it v

----------

Still doesn't mean the US variants will get it

nfl46
Jun 30, 2012, 07:44 PM
Tried both.

S3 > 4S

4.8" screen isn't THAT big. I can hold the phone in one hand and still text. 4" may still be small if the new iPhone is that size. 4.3" or higher, please.

ghost115
Jun 30, 2012, 07:52 PM
Tried both.

S3 > 4S

4.8" screen isn't THAT big. I can hold the phone in one hand and still text. 4" may still be small if the new iPhone is that size. 4.3" or higher, please.

How much did Samsung pay you to post this?

nfl46
Jun 30, 2012, 08:13 PM

Say what?

pacmacman
Jun 30, 2012, 08:34 PM

HAHAHAHAA wow...you're either completely unfamiliar with WM and BB's or completely unfamiliar with iOS.

mbell1975
Jun 30, 2012, 10:14 PM
Still doesn't mean the US variants will get it v

----------

Still doesn't mean the US variants will get it

So then you root and flash a JB ROM when they are out in a few weeks. One of the great things about Android, you don't have to depend on a manufacturer or carrier for updates like you do with Apple :)

404 tech junkie
Jun 30, 2012, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't go that far. While yes Apple did copy the iPhone's design from the Prada, they most certainly did not copy Blackberry or Windows Mobile. iOS is nothing like either of those OS'. I used Windows Mobile for years before the iPhone came out, and I can tell you, it is not even similar in the least bit.

No, he's right. The GS3 isn't hard to hold at all. I had the Galaxy Nexus prior to getting the Galaxy S3, and I was concerned it might be too big, but it actually is only a hair larger than the GNex (and you have to look hard to see the difference in size). The GS3 is probably on the larger end of one-handed operation. Any larger and it will probably be too big for comfortable one-handed operation. Mine is comfortable in hand, and can be used one-handed, and I have average sized hands.

Vegastouch
Jun 30, 2012, 11:11 PM
Extremely late? We are in Q3 now. But, regardless, where has it been posted that the S3 would get JB at any specific timeframe? And is this the int'l or US version? I doubt anyone with a US S3 will get JB any time soon, since the carriers take an extra 6 months to load their crapware onto it and then certify it. :D

Right Here (http://www.motoringcrunch.com/news/mobile-tech/11145-samsung-galaxy-s3-android-41-jelly-bean-update-release)

Its been posted on a handful of articles. That is just one of them. Yeah it could be sooner.... That i agree with but you still cant walk into a store and pick one up yet. Maybe tomorrow will be the first day. Maybe Monday. If i get JB by October, ill be fine with it.

hot spare
Jul 1, 2012, 02:16 AM
Apple apologists talk about Android before/after iPhone. But they never talk about the mobile phone itself. Did Apple invent the mobile phone?

Did people forget about Martin Cooper and Motorola?? Where was Apple when Motorola was driving the industry forward? Let's see how Apple can do without the mobile phone..

Apple and Samsung and everybody else is ripping-off Motorola. I say Motorola should stop all other companies to stop making mobile phones, because they bloody invented it. Apple will be the first company steal ideas and products from someone else and would act as if they actually invented it.

Typical Apple: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/05/us/david-gelernter-discusses-patent-claim-against-apple.html?_r=2

matttye
Jul 1, 2012, 04:51 AM
Last time I checked a quarter consists of 3 months. You really think Samsung is giving an update in the first month of the quarter?

Good luck with that.

Probably not but we don't know for sure, so saying it's "too late" when it's potentially only two and a half months is silly.

randomnut
Jul 1, 2012, 04:58 AM
I have a lot of friends who have Android phones and everyone has the same complaint about it: Buy an android device and it's immediately deprecated. You will struggle to get software updates for it, it's pretty much dead on arrival.

Whilst personally I prefer the usability of iPhone, I had a Galaxy S 2 for a work phone for 6 months and there are two things I really miss about it. The larger screen (it really did make a difference) and that thing where you can swipe down and have easy access to turn wifi, bluetooth etc off. That was such a bonus as I was always having to toggle wifi, bluetooth etc.

I did find the build quality was like a fisher price toy, and have held the S3 and whilst it is miles better than the 2, it still feels plasticky and far from the premium device its price tag suggests.

Personally, i'd go for the iPhone for the longer software support and what feels like much better build quality. But you really just need to try the two devices to see what suits you better.

matttye
Jul 1, 2012, 05:04 AM
I have a lot of friends who have Android phones and everyone has the same complaint about it: Buy an android device and it's immediately deprecated. You will struggle to get software updates for it, it's pretty much dead on arrival.

Whilst personally I prefer the usability of iPhone, I had a Galaxy S 2 for a work phone for 6 months and there are two things I really miss about it. The larger screen (it really did make a difference) and that thing where you can swipe down and have easy access to turn wifi, bluetooth etc off. That was such a bonus as I was always having to toggle wifi, bluetooth etc.

I did find the build quality was like a fisher price toy, and have held the S3 and whilst it is miles better than the 2, it still feels plasticky and far from the premium device its price tag suggests.

Personally, i'd go for the iPhone for the longer software support and what feels like much better build quality. But you really just need to try the two devices to see what suits you better.

You don't even need to use the notification bar to configure settings now, you can use NFC tags if you like.

I've got a tag in my car that disables wifi, enables Bluetooth, turns my ringer/notification/media volumes up full and opens spotify. I just tap my phone on the tag. Its so convenient!

Flagship Android phones (at least from Samsung) typically get at least one update. The S2 was updated to ice cream sandwich but I doubt it will get jelly bean. The S3 should get jelly bean but I doubt it will get key lime pie. If you go the unofficial route and install custom roms, you can usually get like five versions of the software. If its possible to run on the hardware, someone in the dev community will do it.

Vegastouch
Jul 1, 2012, 11:31 AM

Depreciation only matters to kids who dont have jobs and/or rely on selling their old device to help pay for another. Its not like it isnt worth anything. Its just that they want every penny they can get out of it.

----------

You don't even need to use the notification bar to configure settings now, you can use NFC tags if you like.

I've got a tag in my car that disables wifi, enables Bluetooth, turns my ringer/notification/media volumes up full and opens spotify. I just tap my phone on the tag. Its so convenient!

Flagship Android phones (at least from Samsung) typically get at least one update. The S2 was updated to ice cream sandwich but I doubt it will get jelly bean. The S3 should get jelly bean but I doubt it will get key lime pie. If you go the unofficial route and install custom roms, you can usually get like five versions of the software. If its possible to run on the hardware, someone in the dev community will do it.

That is a GS3/ICS feature and a app in the play store? That would be pretty cool and one id want.

randomnut
Jul 1, 2012, 11:40 AM
Depreciation only matters to kids who dont have jobs and/or rely on selling their old device to help pay for another. Its not like it isnt worth anything. Its just that they want every penny they can get out of it.

No. If I sign up to an 18 or 24 month plan I expect my device to be supported for the length of that plan. It is simply unacceptable to buy a device and then it simply be forgotten about by the manufacturer.

Although there are some features I miss from Android and I wish Apple would implement, the simple fact that I am guaranteed updates for around 2 years with an Apple device means that they will get my custom.

Allowing devices to be abandoned upon release is simply bad practice.

----------

Now THAT is very cool, and with my usage patterns would be very very useful. if only Apple would make changing these settings so easy. One can dream..

mbell1975
Jul 1, 2012, 11:45 AM
No. If I sign up to an 18 or 24 month plan I expect my device to be supported for the length of that plan. It is simply unacceptable to buy a device and then it simply be forgotten about by the manufacturer.

Although there are some features I miss from Android and I wish Apple would implement, the simple fact that I am guaranteed updates for around 2 years with an Apple device means that they will get my custom.

You buy a device for how it works when you buy it, not how it will work in the future. If you buy a phone with ICS, will it stop working when JB comes out? No, it won't. At least you get the FULL Android update with your phone. Its not like they leave key features out to force you into upgrading like Apple does. Thats the real ripoff. Besides, you can always root and install a custom ROM running the complete new version of Android if for some reason your carrier wasn't going to update you. An option you will never have with an iPhone...

randomnut
Jul 1, 2012, 11:55 AM
You buy a device for how it works when you buy it, not how it will work in the future. If you buy a phone with ICS, will it stop working when JB comes out? No, it won't. At least you get the FULL Android update with your phone. Its not like they leave key features out to force you into upgrading like Apple does. Thats the real ripoff. Besides, you can always root and install a custom ROM running the complete new version of Android if for some reason your carrier wasn't going to update you. An option you will never have with an iPhone...

Absolutely not. That's like saying it's acceptable to have Mac OS or Windows and never receive security or other updates whatsoever. The longer it is left the more vulnerable the device is to attacks.

Even without adding features by not updating the OS and keeping it up to date it is simply dangerous to have any personal information on. I refuse to commit to either a 1.5/2year plan or shell out £450 for a device which won't be updated and is more of a risk as time goes on.

Given the complex nature of phone operating systems these days not updating it for a reasonable amount of time is simply taking customers for granted and not giving a damn about their security.

cwwilson
Jul 1, 2012, 11:59 AM
May seem a little late for me, but I finally got some good quality time with a 4S (friend of mine's). I have to say, it does put my 4 to shame and I honestly did not expect it to be that fast and smooth. When you launch an app, it just springs into action, practically zero loading times. Folders open up without a hint of animation lag and the multitasking tray pops up effortlessly. Siri worked very well as it should, and even the browser on the same wifi connections was loading pages seconds faster. It felt like I was running a micro iPad, handling everything I could throw at it without breaking a sweat. My 4 running 5.1.1 is not awful but all the little things add up big time and made me salivate for a 4S badly. Even the front face camera has autofocus (or face detection, still better than the 4's) and you can't compare the main cameras, 4S one is so much more clear and powerful. I've taken over 1,000 photos on my 4 and I think the camera is just about done lol but the 4S is a whole new beast.

Now, about the S3. I haven't got to use one sadly, they're more difficult to come across at this time. I am in the market to ditch my Lumia and there was three phones I was look at, the S3 and 4S are two, and the Galaxy Nexus was the other (good pricing on them at the moment). The S3 looks to be the best phone on the planet from some reviews, while other are not quite so hyped. Giant screen compared to the iPhone and great screen tech as well. Supposed to be a benchmark killer too, right? I was looking on eBay for some and they're just not there to be had. Is the phone ever coming out? All I've seen is that the release keeps getting pushed back. I know the phone is a total demon but Samsung has got to get this thing out, there's a very high demand for them. I hope to get some face time with this device soon so I can see how it compares to the 4S. Might just happen to be Android winning me back over.

SirLance99
Jul 1, 2012, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=randomnut;15164110]No. If I sign up to an 18 or 24 month plan I expect my device to be supported for the length of that plan. It is simply unacceptable to buy a device and then it simply be forgotten about by the manufacturer.

Allowing devices to be abandoned upon release is simply bad practice.[COLOR="#808080"]

You forget that those contracts are with the carriers who don't have to give you the upgrades. Other places in the world don't have contracts.

mbell1975
Jul 1, 2012, 12:14 PM

So you are cool with Apple leaving the biggest feature from ios5, Siri, off the iPhone 4? No reason AT ALL the iPhone 4 couldn't run it, Apple wants more of your money. Oh and lets not forget all the features from ios6 the iPhone 4 will never see :rolleyes: Like I said, at least with Android you get the FULL OS, not some half assed version missing the best features.

Vegastouch
Jul 1, 2012, 12:16 PM
Absolutely not. That's like saying it's acceptable to have Mac OS or Windows and never receive security or other updates whatsoever. The longer it is left the more vulnerable the device is to attacks.

What are you talking about? You can get Lookout in the Market and it is a security app that updates like all the other apps do. Your saying ICS is going to leave you vulnerable to attacks if you dont get a update to JB? :rolleyes:

SirLance99
Jul 1, 2012, 12:16 PM
So you are cool with Apple leaving the biggest feature from ios5, Siri, off the iPhone 4? No reason AT ALL the iPhone 4 couldn't run it, Apple wants more of your money. Oh and lets not forget all the features from ios6 the iPhone 4 will never see :rolleyes: Like I said, at least with Android you get the FULL OS, not some half assed version missing the best features.

I didn't say that. My quote didn't go through right. I agree with you.

randomnut
Jul 1, 2012, 01:27 PM

But that's just it. You DON'T get the full OS. You don't get anything at all. The majority of the time a handset is DOA and you don't get updates unless you hack about with it, root it, and install some rom found elsewhere on the internet.

That's beyond the majority of typical users - if you get a new device it should provide you with regular security updates at a minimum.

The fact of the matter is Android suffers from hideous fragmentation and just sitting back and telling manufactures it's OK to just abandon your handset once it's released is only going to make it worse. Stop simply sitting there and taking it...

----------

What are you talking about? You can get Lookout in the Market and it is a security app that updates like all the other apps do. Your saying ICS is going to leave you vulnerable to attacks if you dont get a update to JB? :rolleyes:

I'm saying that releasing a device and then abandoning it when it is running a full version of Linux (which Android essentially is) without any patches is foolish. It should be a integral part of the OS and not a separate manually downloaded app like you are implying it is, with a plan to provide updates for a set period of time.

If operating systems never had vulnerabilities or issues found with them there would never be any need for updates or service packs or anything of the sort. The world would be all candy and rainbows.

swoosh0217
Jul 1, 2012, 01:40 PM
I'm not here trolling but just sharing my own opinion...

I just old my Tmobile G2X not more than a week ago so I went to the Tmobile store to check on the Samsung Galaxy S3. The screen looks sharp and is slightly better than the S2 side by side. I noticed that the brightness was all the way full but when I go to the browser, it looks a bit dark. Im not sure if the store's lighting was just too bright for some reason. The phone was fast and not laggy at all. The phone was a bit too big in my opinion. I have small hands so texting with one hand will be a struggle.

Overall, I was impressed with the phones responsiveness but aside from that, the plastic design and the big screen made me had second thoughts. So I walked out of the store without a new phone.

2 days later, I ended up getting a 4S, jailbroke and unlocked it right away with gevey. I took the risk of getting EDGE connection with my 2GB data plan from Tmobile. Is it worth it? Yes in my opinion. For some reason, there's something about the iPhone designs, how I hold it in my hand, how I always get amazed when I see the retina display and the simple functionality of the phone.

Since this 4S was a great buy for me, I plan on keeping it and just get the new version this fall.

matttye
Jul 1, 2012, 02:09 PM
That is a GS3/ICS feature and a app in the play store? That would be pretty cool and one id want.

Yep. I use "NFC Task Launcher" from the play store. It costs about 1GBP if I remember rightly. I bought it and can't see the price now!

The NFC tags themselves I bought for roughly 8GBP for ten (including delivery), but prices will differ depending on where you live.

If you get some, get "NTAG203" not "ultralight" tags. NTAG203 tags support more bytes which allows you to perform more actions.

Exio
Jul 1, 2012, 02:54 PM

Even without adding features by not updating the OS and keeping it up to date it is simply dangerous to have any personal information on. I refuse to commit to either a 1.5/2year plan or shell out £450 for a device which won't be updated and is more of a risk as time goes on.

Given the complex nature of phone operating systems these days not updating it for a reasonable amount of time is simply taking customers for granted and not giving a damn about their security.

Yes, phone attacks are so very common...:rolleyes:

Also do you know how easy it is to root and install the current up to date versions of android? Thanks for Google leaving their platform open and very dedicated Dev's who enjoy the freedom, it is very easy. Unlike on the Apple side, where 4 guys spend months looking for a loophole to output a jailbreak.

Now I know why you own an iphone. Your one of those people who can't do anything themselves and are afraid of technology.

Also if your so concerned about getting OTA updates the moment they come out, just buy a Nexus.

----------

HAHAHAHAA wow...you're either completely unfamiliar with WM and BB's or completely unfamiliar with iOS.

Oh really?

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQehIv5tIhS-AjLsX8ZAfrbBU4Jo7rjtWslHKBfIa3rBUV3r_SH4w

Looks familiar:rolleyes:

randomnut
Jul 1, 2012, 02:57 PM
Yes, phone attacks are so very common...:rolleyes:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/05/16/android-malware-quadruples-between-2011-an-2012/

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/21422/Android_malware_threats_surge.aspx

http://securitywatch.pcmag.com/none/298206-android-malware-spikes-in-2012

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/android-malware-infecting-through-legitimate-websites-1079133

Yeah, thanks Google for being sooooo open :rolleyes:

Back under your bridge...

kevinof
Jul 1, 2012, 03:02 PM
The stock browser has its own brightness control which I switched off. Makes the screen too dim.

... The screen looks sharp and is slightly better than the S2 side by side. I noticed that the brightness was all the way full but when I go to the browser, it looks a bit dark. Im not sure if the store's lighting was just too bright for some reason.

Mr D
Jul 1, 2012, 03:06 PM
Probably not but we don't know for sure, so saying it's "too late" when it's potentially only two and a half months is silly.

"Probably not" is a bit hopeful. And like people said, it'll be the international version first most likely.

We all know damn well it will not come out the 1st month of Q4, this is bout the same faith you put in when buying a lottery ticket. It's like calling someone a "silly" for not playing the lottery.

----------

Sorry, but what are your standards for early? Have your standards stooped that low where waiting 3 months for a minor update is ok?

Exio
Jul 1, 2012, 03:14 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2012/05/16/android-malware-quadruples-between-2011-an-2012/

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/android-malware-infecting-through-legitimate-websites-1079133

2 ways to get infected on android:
1. Malicious Apps
2. Malicious websites (rare)

Ways to avoid them?
Download "Lookout" for android and don't be a dumb ass.

Can you not do either of those?

Mac.World
Jul 1, 2012, 03:14 PM

I'm not a fan of leaving information out, even if it is for Android. But these links are from so called security companies crying wolf in order to sell a product. They aren't wrong, malware is prevalent for Android, but there is a caveat.
In order for the majority of this malware to make it on to a users phone, they first have to go into the phones settings and check off a box to allow downloads from 'unofficial' sites. How many non-tech smart Android owners do this, I don't know? And then assuming you allow an Android phone to accept an .apk from an uninown source, you still have to go through the process of checking a box that will allow the download to occur, after the user has looked at the permissions the .apk is asking for.

I took this from one of the articles you posted:
Most malware is found in third-party app marketplaces, so if you download apps only from Google Play (formerly called Android Marketplace), then you’re dramatically reducing your chances of being exposed to malware...

Now I am not saying the Android Marketplace is safe and free from malware, like the app store has been, but it can be just as safe, if the user is educated enough to understqnd permissions.

I make assumptions in my opinions in this post. I have no facts to back anything up. This is simply what I believe, which is, if you go to seedy websites on an Android phone and download shady apps, Much like a pc, you can expect to get infected.

randomnut
Jul 1, 2012, 03:30 PM
1. Malicious Apps

Ways to avoid them?

The fact that malicious websites affecting Android are on the rise is a pretty troubling trend. The fact that you can open your device up to all kinds of malware by changing one setting is pretty dangerous.

Having to then go and install antivirus, antimalware software on your phone sucking up your already limited processing and battery resources just to keep your phone safe, hmm I know which side i'd rather be on.

In fairness though you saying that operating systems don't require patches or updating and that it's completely fine to run an internet connected OS for however long on a completely vanilla system pretty much says everything and has invalidated any of your insightful 'input' in one fell swoop. Well done! :rolleyes:

matttye
Jul 1, 2012, 03:40 PM
"Probably not" is a bit hopeful. And like people said, it'll be the international version first most likely.

We all know damn well it will not come out the 1st month of Q4, this is bout the same faith you put in when buying a lottery ticket. It's like calling someone a "silly" for not playing the lottery.

----------

Sorry, but what are your standards for early? Have your standards stooped that low where waiting 3 months for a minor update is ok?

I happen to have the international version so I hope it does come first!

Not really. Samsung is pretty quick at releasing updates - at least for us (not so much for the us market). The galaxy nexus came out in November and Samsung started rolling ics out for the S2 in March. If the timescales for this are the same, we can expect to see jb by November. However, this time Google has given out a platform developer kit to hardware manufacturers so they should be able to get it out more quickly.

Mr D
Jul 1, 2012, 03:53 PM
I happen to have the international version so I hope it does come first!

Not really. Samsung is pretty quick at releasing updates - at least for us (not so much for the us market). The galaxy nexus came out in November and Samsung started rolling ics out for the S2 in March. If the timescales for this are the same, we can expect to see jb by November. However, this time Google has given out a platform developer kit to hardware manufacturers so they should be able to get it out more quickly.

So you think a quick update is 4+ months?

matttye
Jul 1, 2012, 03:56 PM

Compared to other manufacturers..yes. Samsung is one of the fastest at getting updates out.

I wouldn't say it's fast in general, just compared to other manufacturers.

Hopefully the PDK will change that!

Sensamic
Jul 1, 2012, 04:23 PM
Talking about updates.

iPhone 4 did not get Siri and will not get turn by turn navigation.

Android only gets one big update, but...

If you go with the ROMS way you can have ALL the new features from each big OS. So, for example, if I dont get Google Now I can install a custom ROM and I will have it.

Vegastouch
Jul 1, 2012, 04:41 PM
1. Malicious Apps

Ways to avoid them?

True, ive never had a issue with security on mine and ive had it two years. I used Lookout for a month...this past month just to try it out.

There are comments on every app in the play store, read them and dont be stupid and you wont have a problem.

----------

Got my GS3 today.(White), didnt like the blue) So far i like it a lot but im still setting it up. Trying out Apex and Nova,(i was always using Launcher pro) getting things moved around. Its a process but i love the responsiveness.

I went with the value plan over my older plan on T-Mobile and im saving $50 a month on my bill with 5 lines. Now $126 a month. Two lines with data but if i add data to a line, it is only $10 a month.
Only have 2Gigs of data but i was only averaging under a gig per month so i didnt need to go with 5 gigs. But if i want to , it is $15 more per month. I dont like to stream music and why i wanted a micro card slot.

Got my Realook screen protector on the way from Amazon and a clear case back coming too.

Dunbar
Jul 1, 2012, 06:05 PM
I demoed the S3 at a local Sprint store today for about 10 minutes. It feels amazing compared to my IP4 and should absolutely fly on Verizon's LTE network. Now I just have to wait another 1-1/2 weeks for Verizon to send me my pre-order :(

BaldiMac
Jul 2, 2012, 08:38 AM

The hypocrisy is strong with this statement. :D

Now I am not saying the Android Marketplace is safe and free from malware, like the app store has been, but it can be just as safe, if the user is educated enough to understqnd permissions.

How does being "educated enough to understand permissions" keep you safe? A malicious fart app can't steal my contacts, but a malicious contact organizer can. Unless the fart app claims to be "social", of course. Does that mean it's as safe as the App Store?

AQUADock
Jul 2, 2012, 08:53 AM
yes but you can jailbreak and get Siri, 3G Facetime, turn by turn navigation on an IPhone 4 just like if you put a custom ROM on a Android phone to get the latest OS.

sentinelsx
Jul 2, 2012, 10:36 AM
yes but you can jailbreak and get Siri, 3G Facetime, turn by turn navigation on an IPhone 4 just like if you put a custom ROM on a Android phone to get the latest OS.

That sort of makes the argument for software updates moot for both sides.

Zaft
Jul 2, 2012, 11:08 AM
That sort of makes the argument for software updates moot for both sides.

Exactly

Lindenhurst
Jul 2, 2012, 12:00 PM

I purchased my ATT Galaxy Note in February with the "rumor" that ICS would be out by May. That did not and has not yet happened. Fortunately I am the type that will root and flash custom ROMs and I have been running ICS for almost 2 months now. Does it piss me off that Att will sell a Samsung phone with ICS even though my ATT device does not have it yet? Sure it does, but I knew that going in, and from what I read, it is not because of a delay by Samsung, but because of a delay by ATT. Who knows for sure.
With that said, I still believe that Android is an excellent operating system and by it's nature, it is more for those a bit "techie" in nature than those who just want to turn it on and use it.

Would I buy the Note again knowing the ICS delay would take place......?
Sure I would. I bought it based on how it operated when I bought it and not for how it would operate with the next update.
Do I feel like my Note is outdated with the release of SGS3? Not at all. I bought the note for the bigger screen and after looking at the GS3, I still prefer the Note. I may even consider the Note2 if the rumors are true.
Not pushing Android over IOS, but simply stating that there are choices that work other than IOS.

Also, I like Android so much that I actually ordered a Google Nexus 7 tablet. Yes we have iPads in my home and my kids love them, but I wanted a smaller device suited better for 1 handed use, and a bit smaller to take with me.
Guess I just like gadgets.

mbell1975
Jul 2, 2012, 12:22 PM
I purchased my ATT Galaxy Note in February with the "rumor" that ICS would be out by May. That did not and has not yet happened. Fortunately I am the type that will root and flash custom ROMs and I have been running ICS for almost 2 months now. Does it piss me off that Att will sell a Samsung phone with ICS even though my ATT device does not have it yet? Sure it does, but I knew that going in, and from what I read, it is not because of a delay by Samsung, but because of a delay by ATT. Who knows for sure.
With that said, I still believe that Android is an excellent operating system and by it's nature, it is more for those a bit "techie" in nature than those who just want to turn it on and use it.

Would I buy the Note again knowing the ICS delay would take place......?
Sure I would. I bought it based on how it operated when I bought it and not for how it would operate with the next update.
Do I feel like my Note is outdated with the release of SGS3? Not at all. I bought the note for the bigger screen and after looking at the GS3, I still prefer the Note. I may even consider the Note2 if the rumors are true.
Not pushing Android over IOS, but simply stating that there are choices that work other than IOS.

Also, I like Android so much that I actually ordered a Google Nexus 7 tablet. Yes we have iPads in my home and my kids love them, but I wanted a smaller device suited better for 1 handed use, and a bit smaller to take with me.
Guess I just like gadgets.

Yep, most people who buy Android phones have NO clue what GB, ICS and JB are and really don't care. They buy the phone for what it is and what it can do, not what version of Android its running and when its getting updated. We enthusiasts who obsess over these things are a VERY small number overall.

BaldiMac
Jul 2, 2012, 01:31 PM
Yep, most people who buy Android phones have NO clue what GB, ICS and JB are and really don't care. They buy the phone for what it is and what it can do, not what version of Android its running and when its getting updated. We enthusiasts who obsess over these things are a VERY small number overall.

:rolleyes: And yet Apple not updating older phones with features such as Siri is the "real ripoff".

BrerSam
Jul 2, 2012, 01:40 PM
Help me decide!

I have both an unlocked iPhone 4s and a Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3, i currently live in the UK but in 2 weeks im moving to the USA for 1 year to work at WDW in Florida,

Basically i can't decide what to do, i love both the phones for different reasons,

I love the screen size and customisation of the GS3 as well as i use Gmail as my mine email so thats kinda handy, i don't like how the notifcations for FB and Twitter do not come instantly like the 4S, and i like having a back button, its pebble blue, both phones are only 2 weeks old as well.

The iPhone i have alot of apps i have bought since ive had every phone since the 3G, and am used too it, the small screen kinda sucks after using the GS3, i had the iPhone 4 before and it feels similar, i've not had time yet but i will always keep which one i choose on me and use the camera and things alot instead of always carrying a camera.

I also have a Macbook Pro so it will be good with iMessage and things coming, basically i am pretty sure if its good i will sell which one i keep and go for the iPhone 5 when it comes out but in the mean time, which one should i sell out of these two phones and which should i use when im in the USA until that time?

Im tempted to put the money towards an iPad as it would be useful to use around the apartment and on the bus to work etc.

I've used both and like them both and can't decided which would be the best thing to do, any opinions on this ?

Lindenhurst
Jul 2, 2012, 01:49 PM
:rolleyes: And yet Apple not updating older phones with features such as Siri is the "real ripoff".

Well...I had an IP4 and would have liked siri on it, but I honestly didn't feel like I got ripped off when it wasn't available. When someone got it working on a jailbroken iPhone, many were mad because the hardware was obviously sufficient to run the device, but I hope most people realize that the newer device will always have some features that aren't "available" on the older device. There has to be an incentive to upgrade phones!
I agree that the views of the majority of the forum members aren't really the same as the views of the general public when it comes to expectations of their devices.
Most people look at a phone, play with it a bit, and then either buy it or not. Not at all like many on these forums who research everything there is to know about a device, and actually consider what future devices will come out within the coming months. I have friends with Android and iPhones, and most of them have no clue as to what jail breaking or rooting is, and most do not know what other devices come out after they buy their phones because they simply do not bother to look until their next upgrade is near.
Sometimes I think they are better off because they don't feel like they are missing something every time a newer device comes out.

----------

Help me decide!

I have both an unlocked iPhone 4s and a Unlocked Samsung Galaxy S3, i currently live in the UK but in 2 weeks im moving to the USA for 1 year to work at WDW in Florida,

Basically i can't decide what to do, i love both the phones for different reasons,

I love the screen size and customisation of the GS3 as well as i use Gmail as my mine email so thats kinda handy, i don't like how the notifcations for FB and Twitter do not come instantly like the 4S, and i like having a back button, its pebble blue, both phones are only 2 weeks old as well.

The iPhone i have alot of apps i have bought since ive had every phone since the 3G, and am used too it, the small screen kinda sucks after using the GS3, i had the iPhone 4 before and it feels similar, i've not had time yet but i will always keep which one i choose on me and use the camera and things alot instead of always carrying a camera.

I also have a Macbook Pro so it will be good with iMessage and things coming, basically i am pretty sure if its good i will sell which one i keep and go for the iPhone 5 when it comes out but in the mean time, which one should i sell out of these two phones and which should i use when im in the USA until that time?

Im tempted to put the money towards an iPad as it would be useful to use around the apartment and on the bus to work etc.

I've used both and like them both and can't decided which would be the best thing to do, any opinions on this ?

I surely hope you don't base your decisions on what people on this forum will advise you to do. Do what you feel is best for you.

BrerSam
Jul 2, 2012, 01:54 PM
I can't decide either way so just wanted to know what other people thought,

IE which would be best for resale, to use in the USA etc

Vegastouch
Jul 2, 2012, 07:37 PM
OK, first day today with a fully charged GS3.

Let me start by saying my location for my work right now, it is 4 miles into nowhere off the Interstate on the Ca side of the Ca-NV border and getting a good signal there isnt easy. When i go into a buiding, i get virtually no signal. With my Vibrant, i had to put it in airplane mode for a good portion of the day or it would drain real fast and by the end of the work day, it would be dead, if not before.

Today with the GS3, i did not put it in airplane mode once. Left it on, and i cant take it out of 4G. There is no option for that so i left everything alone and it just went to Edge when the signal wasnt good. Saw a 4G signal at times, but it was rare.

I turned it on around 4:15 am and when i got home at 4:30 pm, i had 58% left on the battery. IMO, that is just AWESOME!!! So in a normal environment, im sure the battery is going to be very good :)

Technarchy
Jul 2, 2012, 08:16 PM
The AMOLED GS3 screen is for sure much dimmer than the iPhone 4S screen.

This is the iPhone 4S maxed out brightness, and the GS3 with general settings and browser brightness settings set to maximum. I had a two different GS2's so I know all about the browser brightness setting.

It's hard to tell from the photo, which was taken with a GNEX, but the 4S offers better image quality and sharper text as well.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8144/7491151594_a9fdfc093a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/81743644@N05/7491151594/)

soulreaver99
Jul 2, 2012, 08:25 PM
How come not many people mention the HTC One X? It has good reviews from Engadget, The Verge, etc... Galaxy S3's screen and cheap plastic build doesn't even compare. Touch Wiz interface is horrible and yes Samsung does add a lot of interesting software to the phone but it's useless and performs poorly like S voice.

Galaxy S3 however does have a better camera than the One X, but not better than the iPhone 4S. If camera is that important, I'd rather stick with the iPhone 4S. Most people's needs on a Smartphone are, text, social apps, internet, phone, camera and email. The iPhone 4S, although not so flashy with a boring OS, still does these well. For the best Android experience, I'd go for the One X after owning all 3 of these phones.

/thread

mbell1975
Jul 2, 2012, 08:26 PM
The AMOLED GS3 screen is for sure much dimmer than the iPhone 4S screen.

This is the iPhone 4S maxed out brightness, and the GS3 with general settings and browser brightness settings set to maximum. I had a two different GS2's so I know all about the browser brightness setting.

It's hard to tell from the photo, which was taken with a GNEX, but the 4S offers better image quality and sharper text as well.

Image (http://www.flickr.com/photos/81743644@N05/7491151594/)

Awwww, look at the baby iPhone, its so small and cute, perfect for teenaged girls! The S3 screen is awesome in person and I will take all that extra screen real estate over that God awful pathetically tiny screen any day.

Technarchy
Jul 2, 2012, 08:32 PM
Awwww, look at the baby iPhone, its so small and cute, perfect for teenaged girls! The S3 screen is awesome in person and I will take all that extra screen real estate over that God awful pathetically tiny screen any day.

Teenage girls? How trite.

If you think your phone makes you masculine, I have a nice job in afghanistan for you to see what kind of man you really are. I'll give you the number to my unit's recruiter. If you can make it through the two years of training you'll get $50,000.

So what do you say tough guy. Or does that phone make you manly enough...

mbell1975
Jul 2, 2012, 08:40 PM
Teenage girls? How trite.

If you think your phone makes you masculine, I have a nice job in afghanistan for you to see what kind of man you really are. I'll give you the number to my unit's recruiter. If you can make it through the two years of training you'll get $50,000.

So what do you say tough guy. Or does that phone make you manly enough...

LOL, settle down Francis

pmau
Jul 2, 2012, 09:01 PM
I'm now the owner of an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S3.
I could write a really long message, I like both but stay mainly on iOS.

A few things I want to say:

I like the SG3 screen, it's not so big as I thought.
The iPhone display is still better (sharper) in my opinion.

The casing feels cheap, BUT they did something good to the back cover.
It doesn't slip, it kind of sticks to your hand. Feels a lot safer to hold.

I hate the buttons of the SG3, especially the touch navigation at the bottom.

Android is really fast, I mean it. But I still mainly stay on iOS.

If you don't do Google, Syncing, Mail and Calendar is a mess.
If you go the Google way, it's fine.

File transfer reminds me of old DOS days, one directory here, one other there.
Everything tends to get messy-

Apps are available, but GOOD Apps are hard to find, lots of crap on Android.
I'm sure that I'm biased here, but regarding Apps iOS wins.

I mainly searched Apps I already use on iOS. Maybe someone knows a Android "killer app" that amazes me ...

Battery seems better than on iOS, but my iPhone is 2 years old.

I cannot say that the on-screen keyboard of Android is really easier, but the suggestions do work better.

Some things are easier to switch on Android but the overall navigation seems unintuitive to me.

I like Chrome a lot, it's better than Safari.
I don't like Mail and SMS messaging on Android.

Google should "invent" iTunes for Android to manage content in a centralized way. iTunes is hell, but copying to and from SD cards is really worse.

I'm not a fanboy and will use both devices.

Vegastouch
Jul 2, 2012, 09:15 PM
I'm now the owner of an iPhone 4 and a Samsung Galaxy S3.
I could write a really long message, I like both but stay mainly on iOS.

A few things I want to say:

I like the SG3 screen, it's not so big as I thought.
The iPhone display is still better (sharper) in my opinion.

The casing feels cheap, BUT they did something good to the back cover.
It doesn't slip, it kind of sticks to your hand. Feels a lot safer to hold.

I hate the buttons of the SG3, especially the touch navigation at the bottom.

Android is really fast, I mean it. But I still mainly stay on iOS.

If you don't do Google, Syncing, Mail and Calendar is a mess.
If you go the Google way, it's fine.

File transfer reminds me of old DOS days, one directory here, one other there.
Everything tends to get messy-

Apps are available, but GOOD Apps are hard to find, lots of crap on Android.
I'm sure that I'm biased here, but regarding Apps iOS wins.

I mainly searched Apps I already use on iOS. Maybe someone knows a Android "killer app" that amazes me ...

Battery seems better than on iOS, but my iPhone is 2 years old.

I cannot say that the on-screen keyboard of Android is really easier, but the suggestions do work better.

Some things are easier to switch on Android but the overall navigation seems unintuitive to me.

I like Chrome a lot, it's better than Safari.
I don't like Mail and SMS messaging on Android.

Google should "invent" iTunes for Android to manage content in a centralized way. iTunes is hell, but copying to and from SD cards is really worse.

Wow, well all i have to say is you need to get used to Android and you can't do that easily by always going back to your iPhone because all those are such non issues and there are several keyboards you can download. Getting music on it is easy. ITunes Imo, sucks.

Mac.World
Jul 2, 2012, 09:25 PM

Why would you be copying to and from sd cards? Why wouldn't you just plug the phone into the pc or mac? From what I know of Android, when you plug the phone into the pc via usb, it acts just like an external drive. Is this incorrect?

pmau
Jul 2, 2012, 09:29 PM
Why would you be copying to and from sd cards? Why wouldn't you just plug the phone into the pc or mac? From what I know of Android, when you plug the phone into the pc via usb, it acts just like an external drive. Is this incorrect?

Yes, for the Samsung Galaxy S3 this does no longer work ...
And I'm not joking, just stating a fact.

Mac.World
Jul 2, 2012, 09:47 PM

Hang on. I read up on the S3 and this is a main feature (USB connections). There was a video of this I remember seeing at one point.

Just looked this up cause it was bothering me. This is what the Samsung site says:
You may want to connect your Samsung Galaxy S3 to your PC if you want to transfer videos or music between the devices. Use these steps to get started.

1. Windows users should download and install the USB drivers for the Galaxy S3. Mac users do not need to install any software.

2. Connect the device to an available USB port using the included USB cable.

3. A prompt will appear on the screen of the phone. Drag the notification area down, then make a selection based on what you wish to do with the device.

Connected as media Device > Media device (MTP) – Use this selection if you wish to use Windows Explorer or the Mac Finder to manually transfer files between the PC and the phone or to utilize Windows Media Player.
Connected as a media device > Camera (PTP) – To use your phone as a camera.

So is this correct. I mean, I can connect the iPhone to my Mac and transfer files via iTunes, but it would be nice to just plug the phone into any computer and have it act like a usb drive and transfer files to wheree ever you want.

Anyway, the S3 has got my interest. Gonna look into it further.

Eddie Bombay
Jul 2, 2012, 10:53 PM
Sold my Note and went to the S3. So glad I did the phone is amazing and feels good in the hand.

Vegastouch
Jul 2, 2012, 10:55 PM
Hang on. I read up on the S3 and this is a main feature (USB connections). There was a video of this I remember seeing at one point.

Just looked this up cause it was bothering me. This is what the Samsung site says:

So is this correct. I mean, I can connect the iPhone to my Mac and transfer files via iTunes, but it would be nice to just plug the phone into any computer and have it act like a usb drive and transfer files to wheree ever you want.

Anyway, the S3 has got my interest. Gonna look into it further.

I just installed those drivers and my PC and plugged in phone and it said successfullly installed and device is ready to use but i also get a popup that still says hardware ID is missing when i plug it in. Not sure if i have to reboot the phone or not. I also havent installed my micro card yet.

404 tech junkie
Jul 2, 2012, 11:55 PM

That's not true. I have transferred several files to my phone by just plugging it up to the computer. It's incredibly simple, you plug it up, it pops up a window with folders in it(just like any other folder). Put what you want, where you want, and you're done. It doesn't get any easier than that. If they made you have to use some sort of syncing software (such as an i-tunes) like you suggested, that would make it more difficult, and make it take longer to do simple file transfers.

bigsexyy81
Jul 3, 2012, 12:13 AM
Saw the SGS3 in person today. Nice nice phone. I will wait till the iPhone 5 comes out to decide. As a typical 'sucked-in-to-the-Apple-ecosystem' type that I am, I still think any switch will be difficult and force me to judge it compared to iOS, which I think will be bad. Love the LED indicator, screen size, fluidity of this OS over previous 'flavors'(?), few other things, but am pretty sure the lack of quality apps (fragmentation blows), difficult media management (as opposed to one-click sync in iTunes), and I'm sure more would bring me back.

mbell1975
Jul 3, 2012, 12:25 AM
Saw the SGS3 in person today. Nice nice phone. I will wait till the iPhone 5 comes out to decide. As a typical 'sucked-in-to-the-Apple-ecosystem' type that I am, I still think any switch will be difficult and force me to judge it compared to iOS, which I think will be bad. Love the LED indicator, screen size, fluidity of this OS over previous 'flavors'(?), few other things, but am pretty sure the lack of quality apps (fragmentation blows), difficult media management (as opposed to one-click sync in iTunes), and I'm sure more would bring me back.

Seriously? Having to do everything thru iTunes was one of the biggest reasons I got rid of my 4s, ridiculous. I have every important app on my Razr I have on my iPad. Quality of apps is a myth.

Vegastouch
Jul 3, 2012, 12:28 AM
Seriously? Having to do everything thru iTunes was one of the biggest reasons I got rid of my 4s, ridiculous. I have every important app on my Razr I have on my iPad. Quality of apps is a myth.
Yeah, I didn't like iTunes either.

FrederikaJones
Jul 3, 2012, 12:58 AM
When comparing both Samsung S3 is much better than 4S. The battery life is better on S3 than 4S. If you want a bigger screen phone with smarter UI and more high speed performance then go for S3.

OneMike
Jul 3, 2012, 08:38 AM
When comparing both Samsung S3 is much better than 4S. The battery life is better on S3 than 4S. If you want a bigger screen phone with smarter UI and more high speed performance then go for S3.

I do agree battery life has been better on the S3, plus it has a removable battery. I don't know if I'd have purchased one right away, but I was given an extra battery to review. It's nice not having to think of the possibility of needing a charge through the day.

There are some UI features I like on the S3 more than the 4S. One that comes to mind is the motion gestures. I'm happy with the S3 as I was with the 4S. Overall both are great, but I think I'm going to stay with android for a while.

onthecouchagain
Jul 3, 2012, 08:46 AM
It feels great, and is so simple, to be able to just transfer files onto my Galaxy Nexus, free of iTunes' cumbersome syncing methods. Just one of many bonuses of leaving the iPhone.

Still have to deal with it on my iPad, however. :T

bigsexyy81
Jul 3, 2012, 11:11 AM
I connect a new iPhone to my laptop, hit one button in iTunes, and all 20 GB of my songs, photos, movies, and shows are on the phone in 30-45 minutes.

I buy just about all of my media through iTunes. With iCloud, my MBP, iPhone, and iPad all get songs and other media pushed to it without me having to do anything.

If you buy your content through iTunes, it's incredibly simple and easy. If you get your media through torrents or other websites, it might not be so simple.

mbell1975
Jul 3, 2012, 11:21 AM
I connect a new iPhone to my laptop, hit one button in iTunes, and all 20 GB of my songs, photos, movies, and shows are on the phone in 30-45 minutes.

I buy just about all of my media through iTunes. With iCloud, my MBP, iPhone, and iPad all get songs and other media pushed to it without me having to do anything.

If you buy your content through iTunes, it's incredibly simple and easy. If you get your media through torrents or other websites, it might not be so simple.

Cool. I can plug my phone into my computer and drag and drop any music file on to my phones SD card in much less time than that. Better yet, I can open up Motocast and stream any song or movie on my iTunes without ever having to download it and take up space :) You buy everything thru iTunes, you are forced to with iPhone. Many people don't want to be tied to iTunes for everything.

BaldiMac
Jul 3, 2012, 12:30 PM
Cool. I can plug my phone into my computer and drag and drop any music file on to my phones SD card in much less time than that.

I'm not sure how selecting and dragging/dropping music takes "much less time" than hitting one button to sync wirelessly or simply plugging the iPhone in and doing nothing else.

Better yet, I can open up Motocast and stream any song or movie on my iTunes without ever having to download it and take up space :)

You can access shared iTunes libraries on the iPhone using the Music app.

You buy everything thru iTunes, you are forced to with iPhone. Many people don't want to be tied to iTunes for everything.

:confused: You aren't forced to buy everything through iTunes. And you don't have to be tied to iTunes at all.

chiefpavvy
Jul 3, 2012, 12:35 PM
Ignore 'mbell1975' he is a fAndroid tool. (See post history.)

The number one complaint of Android user is trying to figure out how to get all their "stuff" synced to the device. Whether you like (or prefer) iTunes or not is irrelevant, the vast majority are quite happy with it.

Technarchy
Jul 3, 2012, 12:46 PM

The number one complaint of Android user is trying to figure out how to get all their "stuff" synced to the device. Whether you like (or prefer) iTunes or not is irrelevant, the vast majority are quite happy with it.

As a former android user, dragging and dropping is not any easier than putting my iPhone in a cradle and hitting sync. If anything iTunes is easier.

Often times the lack of centralized management in android was annoying, not liberating.

nefan65
Jul 3, 2012, 12:48 PM

There's him, and a couple of others. They post under the guise of "I'm trying to enlighten people to alternatives". The only reason is to justify what they've purchased, and if you disagree with them/him you're blind sheep.

It gets old, fast. Most the other forum categories on MBR are still give/take, and share info with users. The iPhone forum is turning into Endgadget and BGR though...

ChazUK
Jul 3, 2012, 12:51 PM
Aah, the good old days of syncing music.

Google Music and my unlimited data plan (on Three UK) put those days behind me.

nefan65
Jul 3, 2012, 12:53 PM
I'm not sure how selecting and dragging/dropping music takes "much less time" than hitting one button to sync wirelessly or simply plugging the iPhone in and doing nothing else.

You can access shared iTunes libraries on the iPhone using the Music app.

:confused: You aren't forced to buy everything through iTunes. And you don't have to be tied to iTunes at all.

I don't recall using iTunes being difficult either. I purchased 4 new songs via iTunes over the weekend. Bought them with my MBP . With a minute I had them on my phone, and the iMac in the den. It was pretty difficult; well, you know...the 2 minutes wait :rolleyes:

----------

Aah, the good old days of [I]syncing music.

Google Music and my unlimited data plan (on Three UK) put those days behind me.

Kind of like iTunes does right now as well?

matttye
Jul 3, 2012, 12:57 PM
As a former android user, dragging and dropping is not any easier than putting my iPhone in a cradle and hitting sync. If anything iTunes is easier.

Often times the lack of centralized management in android was annoying, not liberating.

If you get a Samsung phone there's Kies and Kies Air for syncing.

You can also download an app called AirDroid.

Android is all about choice :p

ChazUK
Jul 3, 2012, 12:59 PM

Kind of like iTunes Match, but not thanks to better cross platform compatibility (allows me to access my music on my Linux, iOS, WP7, Android, Windows, OS X & Chrome OS devices).

Technarchy
Jul 3, 2012, 01:00 PM

I used Kies on my GS2. It's ******* software. iTunes is vastly better.

nefan65
Jul 3, 2012, 01:02 PM

You need apps for that? I thought Android had all that built in, and was far superior in all regards? Seems like a simple thing to include. iPhone has had that for a while...::cool:

Maybe Jelly Bean will have it at some point?

----------

Kind of like iTunes Match, but not thanks to better cross platform compatibility (allows me to access my music on my Linux, iOS, WP7, Android, Windows, OS X & Chrome OS devices).

Ya, but you're locked into Google...SHIVER....

ChazUK
Jul 3, 2012, 01:07 PM
Ya, but you're locked into Google...SHIVER....

That is true. Certainly not for everyone.

Pity Amazon haven't released their cloud solution outside the U.S. (not that Google have but thanks to the magic of TOR, I was able to enable GMusic on my account).

nefan65
Jul 3, 2012, 01:09 PM
That is true. Certainly not for everyone.

Pity Amazon haven't released their cloud solution outside the U.S. (not that Google have but thanks to the magic of TOR, I was able to enable GMusic on my account).

Yes! I'd love for Amazon to have something similar. A place for music AND books, regardless of platform. I've downloaded a number of free books, and read them via the Kindle App. Some were meh, but some were good books.

We shall see...

ChazUK
Jul 3, 2012, 01:13 PM
Yes! I'd love for Amazon to have something similar. A place for music AND books, regardless of platform. I've downloaded a number of free books, and read them via the Kindle App. Some were meh, but some were good books.

We shall see...

Amazon Appstore hitting the E.U....
Rumoured Kindle Fire release in Europe...

Lets hope their cloud services are coming too! :)

walie
Jul 3, 2012, 01:14 PM
I used Kies on my GS2. It's ******* software. iTunes is vastly better.

Wrong Kies,

Airdroid FTW

kthxbye!!

Mac.World
Jul 3, 2012, 01:23 PM
I don't recall using iTunes being difficult either. I purchased 4 new songs via iTunes over the weekend. Bought them with my MBP [it was raining, and I was bored]. With a minute I had them on my phone, and the iMac in the den. It was pretty difficult; well, you know...the 2 minutes wait :rolleyes:

----------

Exactly this. iDevices, ATV's and Macs can share downloaded music and Video seemlessly and wirelessly with one another.

I think Android can do some of this but the ecosystem isn't completely established, yet. I.e. some Android phones can work wirelessly with some audio/video components or select TV's, but most can not. Samsung is on its way to establishing its very own ecosystem, like Apple. This is the only company out there that seems to be working towards that goal. I would add M$ to that, but monkey boy Steve Ballmer is to much of a clown to get anything done right. Love how he just pissed off all his hardware suppliers with the Surface tablet. HP just gave him the big 'F#@k You' lol

nefan65
Jul 3, 2012, 01:30 PM
Exactly this. iDevices, ATV's and Macs can share downloaded music and Video seemlessly and wirelessly with one another.

I think Android can do some of this but the ecosystem isn't completely established, yet. I.e. some Android phones can work wirelessly with some audio/video components or select TV's, but most can not. Samsung is on its way to establishing its very own ecosystem, like Apple. This is the only company out there that seems to be working towards that goal. I would add M$ to that, but monkey boy Steve Ballmer is to much of a clown to get anything done right. Love how he just pissed off all his hardware suppliers with the Surface tablet. HP just gave him the big 'F#@k You' lol

Exactly. It's one of the main reasons I've stayed with iPhone. I have all Macs anyway, so it made sense from this standpoint. That isn't to say others can't do it, or won't do it. It works for me, and that's all I really care about...

Ya, I have a hard time believing MS can do anything right with SB at the helm. He's had more misses than hits.

It's funny to see how other companies are moving to the Apple model more/more though. 6 months ago Apple, and those that used their products were chastised for the "Apple everything" mantra. Now Samsung, and MS are following. Samsung with all the integrated items you mentioned, and MS. MS also lowering the upgrade price for Win 8 [ala OS X Lion/ML].

In the end, we the consumer will hopefully win...!

Sensamic
Jul 3, 2012, 03:32 PM
The problem with iTunes is that it takes 2 minutes to sync only one change, because it goes through any other changes (you can see that on the top bar).

On Android it takes 5 seconds to make than single change.

Many times I only add one song or app, and iTunes used to take 2 minutes to sync everything (and make the new backup). That was a little bit annoying. Also adding pictures on iTunes is IMPOSSIBLE. You cannot add different folders and subfolders. It only allows you to sync a specific folder or all your folders. Its so stupid that I don't know why Apple has fixed that already.

Now on my SGS3 I have different folders and subfolders, just like I wanted.

redred
Jul 3, 2012, 04:15 PM
Android should create an iTunes-like software that is compatible with all their devices. All my friends with Android's use DoubleTwist.

cynics
Jul 3, 2012, 04:17 PM

I have mentioned this although I've noticed it. But actually look at his past post, WAY back. You'll find he would vigorously defend the iPhone as much as he defends android now.

As a owner of both I defend both depending on the forum I'm on.

BaldiMac
Jul 3, 2012, 04:19 PM
The problem with iTunes is that it takes 2 minutes to sync only one change, because it goes through any other changes (you can see that on the top bar).

Not really. If the only change is one song, an iTunes Wifi Sync takes less than 30 seconds. But I hardly ever manually start a sync. It just happens overnight when my iPhone is charging.

If you don't count the time it takes to attach the device/card, locate the song, drag/drop and detach the device/card.

Many times I only add one song or app, and iTunes used to take 2 minutes to sync everything (and make the new backup). That was a little bit annoying.

iCloud Backup replaces local iTunes backup and cuts down on sync time.

Also adding pictures on iTunes is IMPOSSIBLE. You cannot add different folders and subfolders. It only allows you to sync a specific folder or all your folders. Its so stupid that I don't know why Apple has fixed that already.

IMPOSSIBLE? Select folder. All pictures in that folder and its subfolders sync. Subfolders appear on your iPhone as albums.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236

Need a more organized solution? Use iPhoto/Aperture on a Mac. Photoshop Album or Photoshop Elements on Windows. :)

Sensamic
Jul 3, 2012, 04:26 PM
Not really. If the only change is one song, an iTunes Wifi Sync takes less than 30 seconds.

If you don't count the time it takes to attach the device/card, locate the song, drag/drop and detach the device/card.

iCloud Backup replaces local iTunes backup and cuts down on sync time.

IMPOSSIBLE? Select folder. All pictures in that folder and its subfolders sync. Subfolders appear on your iPhone as albums.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4236

Need a more organized solution? Use iPhoto/Aperture on a Mac. Photoshop Album or Photoshop Elements on Windows. :)

Ive had the iPhone 4 for 2 years and I never saw the subfolders appear as albums on the photos app. Yes, the pictures do copy, but they are all mixed up inside the general folder, so its kind of a mess if you have 10 subfolders like me. I have a big photo library very nicely organized :D:D

On the pictures tab in iTunes it would only allow me to select a specific folder or ALL my pictures. I could not select two subfolders located in different folders, for example. Its not possible.

And lets not talk about the cache iPhone photo folder on your Mac... If I wanted to add 2000 pictures I had to wait for each of those 2000 pictures to adapt for the iPhone!

I never tried wifi sync cause I don't trust it that much, much less iCloud backup, which could take ages with my 32GB data on the phone.

iTunes is nice for somethings (backups), but for others is worthless.

I really appreciate what Apple, iPhone and iOS have done for the mobile world. Before them all phones were ****. Im talking about all my Nokias and Samsungs... Since iOS and iPhone I think every manufacturer has started doing things a lot better to gain more sales and stuff.

BaldiMac
Jul 3, 2012, 04:49 PM
Ive had the iPhone 4 for 2 years and I never saw the subfolders appear as albums on the photos app. Yes, the pictures do copy, but they are all mixed up inside the general folder, so its kind of a mess if you have 10 subfolders like me. I have a big photo library very nicely organized :D:D

If it's not working correctly, contact support!

On the pictures tab in iTunes it would only allow me to select a specific folder or ALL my pictures. I could not select two subfolders located in different folders, for example. Its not possible.

Yep.

And lets not talk about the cache iPhone photo folder on your Mac... If I wanted to add 2000 pictures I had to wait for each of those 2000 pictures to adapt for the iPhone!

Yep. For me it doesn't matter since the sync happens overnight. :)

I never tried wifi sync cause I don't trust it that much,

Not sure what's not to trust.

much less iCloud backup, which could take ages with my 32GB data on the phone.

Media isn't backed up (except for your camera roll), so the backup size is much smaller. And it happens automatically when your phone is plugged in and on wifi. I've never noticed it happening.

iTunes is nice for somethings (backups), but for others is worthless.

It may not work how you want it to, but that doesn't make it worthless.

I really appreciate what Apple, iPhone and iOS have done for the mobile world. Before them all phones were ****. Im talking about all my Nokias and Samsungs... Since iOS and iPhone I think every manufacturer has started doing things a lot better to gain more sales and stuff.

Yep.

mbell1975
Jul 3, 2012, 04:50 PM

And you don't have to be tied to iTunes at all.

As was mentioned, syncing large amounts of music take up time. Someone said 35-45 minutes for 20GBs. You know how long it takes me to drop 20GBs of music on to my Android phone? WAY less than that, less than 10. As someone else mentioned, iTunes goes thru and checks all your settings and updates/backs up everything even if you just want to sync a few things, its annoying.

You don't have to be tied to iTunes? Really? Mind telling me how you can get music and movies from your computer on your iPhone without syncing them thru iTunes? Having to convert a movie to MOV or MP4 files so you can drop them into your iTunes and then sync them to your phone is also a ridiculous pain in the ass. Drag and drop any file to my SD card to play on my Android phone, so much more simple and far less time consuming.

bigsexyy81
Jul 4, 2012, 12:39 AM
Cool. I can plug my phone into my computer and drag and drop any music file on to my phones SD card in much less time than that. Better yet, I can open up Motocast and stream any song or movie on my iTunes without ever having to download it and take up space :) You buy everything thru iTunes, you are forced to with iPhone. Many people don't want to be tied to iTunes for everything.
:confused:

Dragging and dropping song after song is faster than one click?

And downloading iTunes and the amount of space it takes on a hard drive is completely negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Mac.World
Jul 4, 2012, 01:24 AM
As was mentioned, syncing large amounts of music take up time. Someone said 35-45 minutes for 20GBs. You know how long it takes me to drop 20GBs of music on to my Android phone? WAY less than that, less than 10. As someone else mentioned, iTunes goes thru and checks all your settings and updates/backs up everything even if you just want to sync a few things, its annoying.

You don't have to be tied to iTunes? Really? Mind telling me how you can get music and movies from your computer on your iPhone without syncing them thru iTunes? Having to convert a movie to MOV or MP4 files so you can drop them into your iTunes and then sync them to your phone is also a ridiculous pain in the ass. Drag and drop any file to my SD card to play on my Android phone, so much more simple and far less time consuming.

Gonna look like I'm flip flopping, but I will point out incorrect data if I see it.

When it comes to iTunes, you can set it up so it doesn't do all that back up crap and only downloads what you want it to. Additionally, iDevices can play any type of video format, just not with the built in vid player. You need to download an app like AVPlayerHD. And with a vid player like this, you just open itunes, select apps tab and then click on it. You can now drag and drop any video from the pc directly onto the ipad. Speed is about as fast as a 10x sdhc card. If you have a slower sd card, itunes will move large files quicker. I do this all the time with my iPad.

This is just as easy as Android, but the main advantage for Android, as you said, is you aren't tied to iTunes.

----------

:confused:

Dragging and dropping song after song is faster than one click?

And downloading iTunes and the amount of space it takes on a hard drive is completely negligible in the grand scheme of things.

No one will drag and drop one file at a time, especially if you have quite a few media files to move. It looks like you are posting stuff like that just to try and create an arguement.

404 tech junkie
Jul 4, 2012, 03:36 AM

Ok, well how about this...I don't sync at all and all of my files are backed up to the cloud via dropbox. I can set it to do it only when I'm connected wifi or use the mobile network if I'd like. So I can have all my pictures, songs, documents, etc backed up from anywhere (I don't have to be on wifi) to the cloud. Conversely, if I need to pull the data down to my phone, I can access it from anywhere. Doesn't get any easier or faster than that.
For the record, I don't feel the need to sync my phone to a computer, and quite frankly I feel Apple goes overboard with their insistence that you sync your phone. For example, if I want to create a ringtone out of a song that is currently not on my phone...In order for me to trim it and be able to use it as a ringtone, I'd have to sync my phone. In other words, I have to wait until I get home just to be able to make a ringtone, all because Apple insists on me syncing my phone. On Android, you simply download the song, trim it, and set it as your ringtone. Simple as that.

Wrathwitch
Jul 4, 2012, 07:58 AM

Many times I only add one song or app, and iTunes used to take 2 minutes to sync everything (and make the new backup). That was a little bit annoying. Also adding pictures on iTunes is IMPOSSIBLE. You cannot add different folders and subfolders. It only allows you to sync a specific folder or all your folders. Its so stupid that I don't know why Apple has fixed that already.

Now on my SGS3 I have different folders and subfolders, just like I wanted.

Yes but I would LOVE any sort of software for the SSGS3 that can back up the entirety of my apps and music. If you know of one, pls let me know (non rooted please).

hot spare
Jul 4, 2012, 08:18 AM
Yes but I would LOVE any sort of software for the SSGS3 that can back up the entirety of my apps and music. If you know of one, pls let me know (non rooted please).

Samsung Kies should do.

Wrathwitch
Jul 4, 2012, 10:16 AM
Samsung Kies should do.

If I had balls I could say that Kies sucks my balls, but ... well it SUCKS!

Technarchy
Jul 4, 2012, 10:21 AM
If I had balls I could say that Kies sucks my balls, but ... well it SUCKS!

Well I have balls and I wouldnt let Kies near them.

It really is horrible ass end software. Especially compared to iTunes, even on Windows.

Wrathwitch
Jul 4, 2012, 10:38 AM
Well I have balls and I wouldnt let Kies near them.

It really is horrible ass end software. Especially compared to iTunes, even on Windows.

LOL! Indeed it is, when I DL it on my iMac I was like WTF!?! This is it??? At best I have used it to transfer some songs until I discoverd isync.....

Mac.World
Jul 4, 2012, 11:12 AM

Apps are auto-synced with your google account. No need to back up on the pjone.

Media files should be saved on the sd card.

Then these is appmonster for m@non-root and titanium pro for rooted.

Don't quote me on thisstuff. It's what I was able to find on google search. I may be completely wrong.

Shockwave78
Jul 4, 2012, 11:26 AM
Apps are auto-synced with your google account. No need to back up on the pjone.

Media files should be saved on the sd card.

Then these is appmonster for m@non-root and titanium pro for rooted.

Don't quote me on thisstuff. It's what I was able to find on google search. I may be completely wrong.

That was HUGE when i was using a Galaxy Nexus for about 4 months before i went back to the Iphone 4s(Android was not the reasoning for return)

From the minute i signed into my phone with google after activating I had all my photos, notes, apps and everything i ever put on google. It was unreal and puts the icloud to shame. All you do is login and your done, absolutely nothing else to do.

BaldiMac
Jul 5, 2012, 09:09 AM

Again, you can backup through iCloud if you don't want the additional delay. I wasn't aware that iTunes transfers songs at a significantly slower speed than USB2. As I said, for me, syncing happens overnight without any user interaction. Nothing annoying about it.

You don't have to be tied to iTunes? Really? Mind telling me how you can get music and movies from your computer on your iPhone without syncing them thru iTunes?

iTunes in the Cloud? Amazon Cloud?

Ok, well how about this...I don't sync at all and all of my files are backed up to the cloud via dropbox. I can set it to do it only when I'm connected wifi or use the mobile network if I'd like. So I can have all my pictures, songs, documents, etc backed up from anywhere (I don't have to be on wifi) to the cloud. Conversely, if I need to pull the data down to my phone, I can access it from anywhere. Doesn't get any easier or faster than that.

I'm not sure what the distinction is between "syncing" and "backing up to Dropbox" in this context. And I don't see anything in this list that can't be accomplished on the iPhone. Sometimes easier.

----------

That was HUGE when i was using a Galaxy Nexus for about 4 months before i went back to the Iphone 4s(Android was not the reasoning for return)

From the minute i signed into my phone with google after activating I had all my photos, notes, apps and everything i ever put on google. It was unreal and puts the icloud to shame. All you do is login and your done, absolutely nothing else to do.

How is this different than iCloud? Serious question. :)

Mac.World
Jul 5, 2012, 11:07 AM
Again, you can backup through iCloud if you don't want the additional delay. I wasn't aware that iTunes transfers songs at a significantly slower speed than USB2. As I said, for me, syncing happens overnight without any user interaction. Nothing annoying about it.

How is this different than iCloud? Serious question. :)

Usb2 and the Apple dock connector cable are one in the same. Speed is the same.
But, like you, I have my backups and syncing with itunes done at night while i sleep. Too easy. Although, my pics auto sync to dropbox and surgarsync as soon as i take them.

And Google is different from iCloud in that more programs and apps are syncable, plus all computers and most smartphone brands can sync with it. It's simply more expansive and doesn't restrict you to just Apple phones... But the process is identical. I use Google as well to sync my gmail, calendar and g drive, since I can access these at my work computer.

BaldiMac
Jul 5, 2012, 11:21 AM
Usb2 and the Apple dock connector cable are one in the same. Speed is the same.

That's what I thought. mbell1975 claims that iTunes transfers data slower than a regular USB2 transfer.

And Google is different from iCloud in that more programs and apps are syncable, plus all computers and most smartphone brands can sync with it. It's simply more expansive and doesn't restrict you to just Apple phones... But the process is identical. I use Google as well to sync my gmail, calendar and g drive, since I can access these at my work computer.

I was asking about setup of a new iPhone from an iCloud backup vs setup of an Android phone after moving from a previous Android phone.

Technarchy
Jul 5, 2012, 11:31 AM
I was asking about setup of a new iPhone from an iCloud backup vs setup of an Android phone after moving from a previous Android phone.

The same essentially. Though from what I recall about android, if you get new phone, your apps don't automatically return.

When I went from Sprint to AT&T I remember having to manually download apps. Contacts, emails, music were a no brainer.

kevinof
Jul 5, 2012, 11:42 AM
Nope they do. Just went from SG2 to to SG3 and all my apps re-installed automatically once I added my google account.

The same essentially. Though from what I recall about android, if you get new phone, your apps don't automatically return.

When I went from Sprint to AT&T I remember having to manually download apps. Contacts, emails, music were a no brainer.

Technarchy
Jul 5, 2012, 11:47 AM
Nope they do. Just went from SG2 to to SG3 and all my apps re-installed automatically once I added my google account.

When I got my Nexus S replaced due to a faulty radio the apps came back no problem. When I went GS2 they did not. Weird.

walie
Jul 5, 2012, 11:51 AM
When I got my Nexus S replaced due to a faulty radio the apps came back no problem. When I went GS2 they did not. Weird.

you did it wrong

BaldiMac
Jul 5, 2012, 12:03 PM

How does Android deal with carrier or manufacturer specific apps, features, and settings?

Mac.World
Jul 5, 2012, 12:16 PM
That's what I thought. mbell1975 claims that iTunes transfers data slower than a regular USB2 transfer.

Process is the same. No diff.

----------

How does Android deal with carrier or manufacturer specific apps, features, and settings?

It doesn't. The carrier provides these on all their phones. It's bloatware.

BaldiMac
Jul 5, 2012, 12:30 PM
It doesn't. The carrier provides these on all their phones. It's bloatware.

So, you would actually lose data by switching manufacturers? Assuming you used any of the apps/features/settings. Weird.

Mac.World
Jul 5, 2012, 12:36 PM
So, you would actually lose data by switching manufacturers? Assuming you used any of the apps/features/settings. Weird.

You don't lose any data from Google. The only diff is the carrier crapware would change if you switched from sprint to att.

And I doubt anyone likes having carrier bloatware. It's one reason I hate PC's from Dell, HP, etc... If I want McAfee damn it, I'll add it. Don't force me to use a memory hogging anti virus program like Norton. Bloatware sucks.

BaldiMac
Jul 5, 2012, 01:27 PM
You don't lose any data from Google. The only diff is the carrier crapware would change if you switched from sprint to att.

But you would lose any data you created within the "carrier crapware".

And I doubt anyone likes having carrier bloatware. It's one reason I hate PC's from Dell, HP, etc... If I want McAfee damn it, I'll add it. Don't force me to use a memory hogging anti virus program like Norton. Bloatware sucks.

Obviously, a significant number of people decide to use it despite the craptasticness.

Mac.World
Jul 5, 2012, 01:57 PM
But you would lose any data you created within the "carrier bloatware".

I guess? I don't know what the crapware entails and why people would use it? I know att has a navigation app they put on nearly every phone. Why someone would use their data plan in order to use att's nav app is beyond me though. I'd rather pay for the Garmin or tomtom app and have my maps stored on the phone and never pay for data.

404 tech junkie
Jul 5, 2012, 02:13 PM
But you would lose any data you created within the "carrier crapware".

What exactly is this data they'd be losing? Bloatware tends to not be anything that would require your data to be saved in it. I'm not understanding what a person would be losing. It sounds more like it's just a theory of yours. But hey, I could be wrong, please give me a specific example.

BaldiMac
Jul 5, 2012, 02:29 PM
What exactly is this data they'd be losing? Bloatware tends to not be anything that would require your data to be saved in it. I'm not understanding what a person would be losing. It sounds more like it's just a theory of yours. But hey, I could be wrong, please give me a specific example.

I don't know. That's why I asked the question! :)

We were talking about migration from an old phone to a new one. With an iPhone, everything is transferred. I asked how Android deals with carrier or manufacturer specific apps, features, and settings. The response I got is that they aren't transferred. If that isn't true, feel free to add more information!

Sensamic
Jul 5, 2012, 05:42 PM
iCloud is restricted to Macs.

Google Cloud is available on Macs and Windows and any other system.

I think thats a BIG advantage.

We were talking about migration from an old phone to a new one. With an iPhone, everything is transferred. I asked how Android deals with carrier or manufacturer specific apps, features, and settings. The response I got is that they aren't transferred. If that isn't true, feel free to add more information!

How in the world would the data from an ATT app transfer to another app from Verizon, for example? Your question didn't make ANY sense at all. Of course that info won't be available on a phone from another carrier since they are different carriers!

It makes no sense whatsoever...

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 5, 2012, 06:16 PM
Obviously, a significant number of people decide to use it despite the craptasticness.

Yea, those who don't know any better. Which is basically the majority of the population.

BaldiMac
Jul 5, 2012, 06:17 PM
iCloud is restricted to Macs.

No, it's not.

How in the world would the data from an ATT app transfer to another app from Verizon, for example? Your question didn't make ANY sense at all. Of course that info won't be available on a phone from another carrier since they are different carriers!

It makes no sense whatsoever...

You are assuming some sort of nefarious intent in my question. I just asked a question. A simple one. As an iPhone user, when I upgrade, everything is transferred. I was just wondering how Android deals with the app/settings/feature differences between phones. I wasn't asking specifically about a carrier app that only works on one carrier.

If I'm going to lose all the data in my Samsung Whatever app when I transfer to an HTC phone, it would be a disincentive to use the Samsung Whatever app.

Sensamic
Jul 5, 2012, 06:32 PM
No, it's not.

You are assuming some sort of nefarious intent in my question. I just asked a question. A simple one. As an iPhone user, when I upgrade, everything is transferred. I was just wondering how Android deals with the app/settings/feature differences between phones. I wasn't asking specifically about a carrier app that only works on one carrier.

If I'm going to lose all the data in my Samsung Whatever app when I transfer to an HTC phone, it would be a disincentive to use the Samsung Whatever app.

Well iCloud can be use on the web. Thats right. I forgot.

From what I can tell after using my SGS3 for 2 weeks is that you keep all your Google stuff synced. Settings change from phone to phone, so that can't be synced, except WIFI passwords and such.

In theory (I haven't tried it) app data (like games saves states) is also saved to the cloud, but I haven't tried that yet. On google settings it says it can be synced.

All my pictures, music and stuff is in the SD, so whenever I change phones its already there. No need to sync your media again.

OllyW
Jul 5, 2012, 06:54 PM

It also works on PCs running Windows 7 and Vista.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4759

BaldiMac
Jul 5, 2012, 07:06 PM

It also works with Windows. Outlook, Safari, etc.

onthecouchagain
Jul 5, 2012, 08:22 PM
I'm starting to see a lot of people with the SIII. Quite a beauty, especially the Pebble Blue.

404 tech junkie
Jul 5, 2012, 09:45 PM

Honestly, I don't think that's an issue. I could be wrong, but I don't recall any bloatware that would require you to save data in it. They typically provide some sort of useless service, sometimes they even cost money. I say all that to say, I haven't seen any bloatware that you would actually need any data saved in it (if it saves any data at all). Because of the nature of the carrier bloatware apps, they don't tend to really require your data, and they tend to not be very useful.

f00f
Jul 5, 2012, 10:38 PM
It also works on PCs running Windows 7 and Vista.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4759

And there's things like this (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.caldav.icloud) and this (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.dmfs.carddav.icloud), among a few others, in Google Play. ;)

I'm by no means the developer for those, but I recently (read: today) acquired an unlocked SGS3 to fiddle with and found myself needing to sync iCloud data to it.

depths
Jul 6, 2012, 12:04 AM
Samsung Galaxy SIII is the best for battery life (according to this random article that could be full of ****).

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/files/2012/07/remote-battery-life-infographic.jpg

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/smartphones/which-smartphone-has-the-best-battery-life/

mbell1975
Jul 6, 2012, 12:37 AM
Samsung Galaxy SIII is the best for battery life (according to this random article that could be full of ****).

Image (http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/files/2012/07/remote-battery-life-infographic.jpg)

http://blogs.which.co.uk/technology/smartphones/which-smartphone-has-the-best-battery-life/

The Razr Maxx kills them all

depths
Jul 6, 2012, 01:16 AM
I'd forgotten about the maxx. Strange they didn't list it.

404 tech junkie
Jul 6, 2012, 01:29 AM
I'd forgotten about the maxx. Strange they didn't list it.

..but yet they listed the Gleam? WTF?! lol To me, that kills their credibility. They don't have the Maxx listed, yet they list some phone called the Gleam? :confused:

Thomas P.
Jul 6, 2012, 02:12 AM
Shut up. Whatever Apple does = justified. Who could argue, it is Apple after all. The 2nd biggest company in the world.

Quite arrogant, aren't you?

NikeTalk
Jul 6, 2012, 09:21 AM
Comparing these two phones makes no sense, only fair to wait until the iPhone 5 drops, if it ever does but then it still won't be better than the S3. :D

AbyssImpact
Jul 6, 2012, 10:02 AM
Quite arrogant, aren't you?

Not really. Just an Apple fan.

Lindenhurst
Jul 6, 2012, 12:27 PM
Actually looked at SGS3 today. Unbelievably light. It was very fast with zero lag, but to me the screen seemed small. Guess thats because I use a Galaxy Note. Seemed like a nice phone though. Felt great in the hand, but it was so surprisingly light, I can see why some say it feels cheap.Didn't feel cheap to me though.

seanpercival01
Jul 7, 2012, 04:08 AM
But if Apple introduced this feature, it'd be the smartest greatest thing, maybe? Or would people also call it an unnecessary convenience?

No, Apple products are much better than samsung phones.

mark28
Jul 7, 2012, 04:10 AM
Comparing these two phones makes no sense, only fair to wait until the iPhone 5 drops, if it ever does but then it still won't be better than the S3. :D

So when the iPhone 5 is released, then you'll all be comparing the iPhone 5 to a 4-5 month old phone

You must compared the iPhone 4S to the Samsung Galaxy S3 right now, because that's the best phone on the market. It makes no sense to buy an iPhone 4S now, because it's beaten by miles.

The Phazer
Jul 7, 2012, 04:19 AM
..but yet they listed the Gleam? WTF?! lol To me, that kills their credibility. They don't have the Maxx listed, yet they list some phone called the Gleam? :confused:

It's from Which UK. The Maxx hadn't been released in the UK at the time the chart was published (it only came out a few weeks ago in the UK IIRC).

Phazer

----------

He's correct, at least on the iPhone, as the memory bus to the USB controller is nowhere near the max throughput of a USB transfer.

I can't do even the simplest iTunes change in less than 7 minutes, most take over 30.

And that's a problem, as I don't leave my computer running overnight. It's a noisy waste of electricity.

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 04:33 AM
He's correct, at least on the iPhone, as the memory bus to the USB controller is nowhere near the max throughput of a USB transfer.

I can't do even the simplest iTunes change in less than 7 minutes, most take over 30.

And that's a problem, as I don't leave my computer running overnight. It's a noisy waste of electricity.

I don't know the mechanics behind it but iTunes takes about three times longer to sync things to my iPad than simply copy/pasting onto my mounted S3. Both connected via USB2 so should be fair. Maybe it's because of optimisations that iTunes makes to content being sent over, but the optimisations aren't always wanted :p

ugahairydawgs
Jul 7, 2012, 07:20 AM
Not really sure how people buy these Android devices such as the Galaxy SIII or the One X. I guess I have been spoiled over the last few years by the "pure" Apple experience, so the thought of buying one of those phones that are reliant on carriers for updates and come with all kinds of bloat ware seems like a step backwards.

At this point any move towards an Android device for me would have to be a Nexus.

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 07:23 AM
Not really sure how people buy these Android devices such as the Galaxy SIII or the One X. I guess I have been spoiled over the last few years by the "pure" Apple experience, so the thought of buying one of those phones that are reliant on carriers for updates and come with all kinds of bloat ware seems like a step backwards.

At this point any move towards an Android device for me would have to be a Nexus.

You don't really have to rely on carriers. I bought an O2 branded device, but I've just flashed the official unbranded firmware update released yesterday by Samsung. It doesn't void warranty as it's an official firmware, and only takes five minutes to install (ten for me because I'm new at this so read everything twice.)

I don't even think there'd be any way of knowing that mine was bought as an O2 branded phone - there's no O2 logo on the phone itself and it's running unbranded firmware, which can now be updated over the air whenever Samsung releases an update.

It's painless :)

Technarchy
Jul 7, 2012, 07:43 AM
I got to spend a couple of hours with the AT&T model yesterday before the demo was set up. This was fresh out the box and mostly unmolested by human hands.

Observations:

It's light and thin but wide and generally too large. For easy one handed operation I prefer 4.3" maximum.

The screen is very dim even on max brightness. Compared to other AMOLED phones, it's one of the darkest on AT&T. Even the cheaper Focus 2 produced better whites and brightness.

The rendering of the UI itself is smooth but responsiveness has slight lag. For example if you have the browser open and hit the home button the iPhone 4S gets you home immediately, but the S3 hesitates.

Pebble blue is horrendous. White looks much better. That plastics used dont feel as tangible compared to the One X and Lumia 900.

I like Touchwiz more than Sense.

IPhone 4S takes better photos and overall is snappier in terms of responsiveness.

File sharing using NFC is a kick butt feature that has lots of potential.

iPhone 4S was faster on HSPA+ consistently. There is no AT&T LTE here yet.

Overall not a bad phone. Not enough to make me go back to android, but not bad. I wouldn't trade my 4S for one though. In terms of software and user experience it's better than the One X, but the One X has vastly better build quality and hardware. The One X also feels nicer in the hand.

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 07:56 AM
The rendering of the UI itself is smooth but responsiveness has slight lag. For example if you have the browser open and hit the home button the iPhone 4S gets you home immediately, but the S3 hesitates.

This is because of the double tap home to launch S Voice option. If you disable it, it's faster, presumably because it doesn't wait to see if you press it again.

Also, you can change an option so that animations use less frames, which speeds up the device in general and makes it appear snappier.

I agree with the rest of your post pretty much. Difficult to reach top opposite corner to whatever hand you use if using one handed. Prefer white to blue but don't think blue looks horrendous, just not as good. 4S takes better photos a lot of the time, but the S3 is better in some regards. iPhone takes better photos "out of the box" , but if you tweak the S3 settings it can provide superior image quality in some scenarios. Each have their strengths.

NFC is very useful, not just for transfers but also NFC tags.

The screen is indeed dimmer than other devices. I think this is because super AMOLED screens aren't very reflective, so they don't need to be as bright to be visible outdoors. Probably due to battery life concerns too.

Sensamic
Jul 7, 2012, 12:13 PM

Only 1 year later after the iPhone 4 was released (which I bought on release day) it didn't get the new biggest feature: Siri.

Two years later the iPhone 4 still doesn't get the new biggest feature: turn by turn navigation (and no flyover or 3D maps).

So only thing we would get is Facebook integration (already on android for years), new phone options for send sms when dismissing a call (already on android for 9 months), FaceTime over 3G (I think this one is not in the iPhone 4 either, but don't care since its the most stupid new feature announced. People laughed at Google for introducing a new "butter" feature and don't laugh at Apple for introducing FaceTime 3G TWO YEARS LATER AFTER IT WAS FIRST ANNOUNCED IN IOS 4. 2 years later!!).

So, as you can say, the iPhone 4, which currently is only one generation behind (after the 4S) is already obsolete and not getting the main new features.

With Android happens just the same. So there is no difference between both, except maybe on Android you can install a custom ROM and get ALL the new features.

Why would I have stayed with the iPhone 4 when Im not getting Siri and turn by turn and what Im getting are features android already has had for a long time? It makes no sense. Apple updates are not that good as you can see.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 01:09 PM
Only 1 year later after the iPhone 4 was released (which I bought on release day) it didn't get the new biggest feature: Siri.

Two years later the iPhone 4 still doesn't get the new biggest feature: turn by turn navigation (and no flyover or 3D maps).

So only thing we would get is Facebook integration (already on android for years), new phone options for send sms when dismissing a call (already on android for 9 months), FaceTime over 3G (I think this one is not in the iPhone 4 either, but don't care since its the most stupid new feature announced. People laughed at Google for introducing a new "butter" feature and don't laugh at Apple for introducing FaceTime 3G TWO YEARS LATER AFTER IT WAS FIRST ANNOUNCED IN IOS 4. 2 years later!!).

So, as you can say, the iPhone 4, which currently is only one generation behind (after the 4S) is already obsolete and not getting the main new features.

With Android happens just the same. So there is no difference between both, except maybe on Android you can install a custom ROM and get ALL the new features.

Why would I have stayed with the iPhone 4 when Im not getting Siri and turn by turn and what Im getting are features android already has had for a long time? It makes no sense. Apple updates are not that good as you can see.

From the iPhone 3GS release in mid 2009, through to iOS 6, hundreds of features have been added. Of these hundreds, only three aren't on the iPhone 3GS - Facetime, Siri, and the new mapping system.

From the iPhone 4 release in mid 2010, through to iOS 6, hundreds of features have been added. Of these hundreds, only two aren't on the iPhone 4 - Siri and the new mapping system.

This includes all of the security updates, and all of the hundreds of thousands of apps that require the latest iOS version to run (upgraded APIs and such).

In contrast, 93% of Android devices cannot run Google's own Chrome browser. This is the price of fragmentation.

oBMTo
Jul 7, 2012, 01:14 PM
From the iPhone 3GS release in mid 2009, through to iOS 6, hundreds of features have been added. Of these hundreds, only three aren't on the iPhone 3GS - Facetime, Siri, and the new mapping system.

From the iPhone 4 release in mid 2010, through to iOS 6, hundreds of features have been added. Of these hundreds, only two aren't on the iPhone 4 - Siri and the new mapping system.

This includes all of the security updates, and all of the hundreds of thousands of apps that require the latest iOS version to run (upgraded APIs and such).

In contrast, 93% of Android devices cannot run Google's own Chrome browser. This is the price of fragmentation.
I'm sure those "hundres of features" were really great. :rolleyes:

mbell1975
Jul 7, 2012, 01:27 PM

and 99% of those new features in iOS have been available in Android for years. This is the price for owning a phone with an inferior OS.

ahfu25
Jul 7, 2012, 01:30 PM
This is because of the double tap home to launch S Voice option. If you disable it, it's faster, presumably because it doesn't wait to see if you press it again.

Also, you can change an option so that animations use less frames, which speeds up the device in general and makes it appear snappier.

I agree with the rest of your post pretty much. Difficult to reach top opposite corner to whatever hand you use if using one handed. Prefer white to blue but don't think blue looks horrendous, just not as good. 4S takes better photos a lot of the time, but the S3 is better in some regards. iPhone takes better photos "out of the box" , but if you tweak the S3 settings it can provide superior image quality in some scenarios. Each have their strengths.

NFC is very useful, not just for transfers but also NFC tags.

The screen is indeed dimmer than other devices. I think this is because super AMOLED screens aren't very reflective, so they don't need to be as bright to be visible outdoors. Probably due to battery life concerns too.

I have to disagree with you on photo taking. I have both a 4S and S3 and The S3 photo's and video's are much better quality. Lets see what the new iPhones brings to the table.

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 01:35 PM

Despite the fact that he does troll here, you do have to admit that mbell has a point - Android has had a lot of the features added to iOS since the beginning, or very early on.

The first Android version I had was 2.1 Eclair, and that could attach any file to email, had voice commands, had a pull down unobtrusive notification bar, copy/paste, full blown multitasking, turn by turn navigation etc.

In many respects that version of Android was still more advanced than iOS 6 and that's about two years old now.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 01:36 PM
I'm sure those "hundres of features" were really great. :rolleyes:

You have ignored 2/3rds of my argument, and are attempting instead to focus the discussion on the 1/3rd you find the weakest, even though my main argument would still stand without it.

A typical poster would respond by listing some of the hundreds of features (including under-the-hood improvements like API enhancements, which make all apps better), and show how even the iPhone 3GS will benefit greatly from this, but what's the point? You'll probably pick out another detail, on which the main argument does not depend, and say it sucks again, without supporting your statement with any relevant facts.

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 01:36 PM
I have to disagree with you on photo taking. I have both a 4S and S3 and The S3 photo's and video's are much better quality. Lets see what the new iPhones brings to the table.

I agree, but mainly when I play with the settings. By default the iPhone sometimes takes clearer shots out of the box.

With ISO set to 100 and adequate light, the S3 stomps the iPhone.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
Despite the fact that he does troll here, you do have to admit that mbell has a point - Android has had a lot of the features added to iOS since the beginning, or very early on.

The first Android version I had was 2.1 Eclair, and that could attach any file to email, had voice commands, had a pull down unobtrusive notification bar, copy/paste, full blown multitasking, turn by turn navigation etc.

In many respects that version of Android was still more advanced than iOS 6 and that's about two years old now.

That depends on your definition of "advanced". My Windows Mobile phone from 2005 was doing all of this, but I wouldn't label it as "more advanced" than my iPhone 4S. Shoot, that phone was doing things I don't think any current Android phone does. Does that make it "more advanced" than Android as well?

The iPhone has functionality that Android still to this day does not replicate, how do you show which phone is "more advanced" when they both have functionality missing in the other?

I consider the most advanced platform, to be the one with the most advanced software, and the current developer climate says that's iOS.

oBMTo
Jul 7, 2012, 01:44 PM
You have ignored 2/3rds of my argument, and are attempting instead to focus the discussion on the 1/3rd you find the weakest, even though my main argument would still stand without it.

A typical poster would respond by listing some of the hundreds of features (including under-the-hood improvements like API enhancements, which make all apps better), and show how even the iPhone 3GS will benefit greatly from this, but what's the point? You'll probably pick out another detail, on which the main argument does not depend, and say it sucks again, without supporting your statement with any relevant facts.

In other words, your post was useless.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 01:46 PM

From what I've seen, the S3 does not have a good camera at all. The dynamic range is very bad, with highlights consistently blown out, where the iPhone 4S shows additional detail in those areas.

http://i.imgur.com/hjlnTl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/TsqRPl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/br7BCl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/saT2Ol.png

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 01:48 PM
That depends on your definition of "advanced". My Windows Mobile phone from 2005 was doing all of this, but I wouldn't label it as "more advanced" than my iPhone 4S. Shoot, that phone was doing things I don't think any current Android phone does. Does that make it "more advanced" than Android as well?

The iPhone has functionality that Android still to this day does not replicate, how do you show which phone is "more advanced" when they both have functionality missing in the other?

I consider the most advanced platform, to be the one with the most advanced software, and the current developer climate says that's iOS.

You tend to talk about apps as though they're iOS features; are you talking about apps available for iOS that aren't available for Android, or are you talking about iOS itself?

iOS does of course do things that Android can't, but in terms of core features it's clear that Android is ahead.

DodgeV83
In other words, your post was useless.

No, my post highlighted the fact that my argument stands unrefuted, as you have yet to offer anything to negate it.

Vegastouch
From what I've seen, the S3 does not have a good camera at all. The dynamic range is very bad, with highlights consistently blown out, where the iPhone 4S shows additional detail in those areas.

Image (http://i.imgur.com/hjlnTl.jpg)

Image (http://i.imgur.com/TsqRPl.jpg)

Image (http://i.imgur.com/br7BCl.jpg)

Image (http://i.imgur.com/saT2Ol.png)

The video shows otherwise and i trust that over what you would post since you arent open minded and use every camera app made.

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 01:49 PM

Image (http://i.imgur.com/hjlnTl.jpg)

Image (http://i.imgur.com/TsqRPl.jpg)

Image (http://i.imgur.com/br7BCl.jpg)

Image (http://i.imgur.com/saT2Ol.png)

How about using some different images? :p

I.e. ones that aren't hand picked to show the iPhone as the winner.

jeffe
Jul 7, 2012, 01:52 PM
The mere fact that everyone is going back and forth on these things shows that both Android and IOS are both advance platforms that are very comparable to another. Whether one is better than the other at this point is purely subjective to the person and there tastes.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 02:03 PM
You tend to talk about apps as though they're iOS features; are you talking about apps available for iOS that aren't available for Android, or are you talking about iOS itself?

iOS does of course do things that Android can't, but in terms of core features it's clear that Android is ahead.

The term "ahead" is dependant on your criteria. Are you looking at the number of checkboxes in a flat list, and weighing them all equally to see which one has more checkboxes? Using that logic, Ubuntu has been "ahead" of both Windows and OSX since it's inception, yet you probably aren't a Ubuntu user.

Are you weighing some features to be more important than others? If so, what criteria do you use to weigh them?

Would you consider one car with 1000 features, but no AC, to be "ahead" of another car with 999 features including AC, if you lived in Miami? What if you lived in Alaska?

----------

How about using some different images? :p

I.e. ones that aren't hand picked to show the iPhone as the winner.

Haha, I use the same images to counter the same points made in different threads :p

Those were the best images I've found that highlight the dynamic range difference (the biggest limitation of small sensors) between the two phones. Since they were taken both in the same conditions and at the same time (held side-by-side), I find it to be a valid comparison, but if you know of some other similarly-made photos I'd be open to see them :)

----------

The video shows otherwise and i trust that over what you would post since you arent open minded and use every camera app made.

Which video? If there's another side-by-side video of the iPhone 4S and S3 that includes both outdoor and indoor shots like this one does, I'd love to see it. Can you post it?

Vegastouch
Jul 7, 2012, 02:06 PM
Which video? If there's another side-by-side video of the iPhone 4S and S3 that includes both outdoor and indoor shots like this one does, I'd love to see it. Can you post it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aws7LT46lWk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aws7LT46lWk")

oBMTo
Jul 7, 2012, 02:16 PM
No, my post highlighted the fact that my argument stands unrefuted, as you have yet to offer anything to negate it.

Android is a million times better than iOS.

See I can make useless post with bolded words too. :rolleyes:

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 02:29 PM
The term "ahead" is dependant on your criteria. Are you looking at the number of checkboxes in a flat list, and weighing them all equally to see which one has more checkboxes? Using that logic, Ubuntu has been "ahead" of both Windows and OSX since it's inception, yet you probably aren't a Ubuntu user.

Are you weighing some features to be more important than others? If so, what criteria do you use to weigh them?

Would you consider one car with 1000 features, but no AC, to be "ahead" of another car with 999 features including AC, if you lived in Miami? What if you lived in Alaska?

Depends what the 1000 features were, and I don't really see your point.

You never actually list features in these debates, you just post in vague terms.

Android has a greater list of core OS features than iOS, which in turn allows applications to achieve more. For example, NFC, widgets, custom launchers, sharing API, true multitasking. These are all "gateway" features that allow many apps to focus simply around these functionalities. For example, the Google Play store has a widgets section dedicated entirely to apps that have widgets. iOS cannot possibly have such apps because the feature is non-existent. There are lots of different launchers in Android with various features, which in turn have their own widgets made especially for them. The choices are endless.

With iPhone, you get what you get. There's relatively little customisation available. Hell, you couldn't even select a custom wallpaper until version.. 3 or 4? I can't remember.

There are of course a few things iOS has going for it; namely updates and support (from both developers and Apple).

Haha, I use the same images to counter the same points made in different threads :p

Those were the best images I've found that highlight the dynamic range difference (the biggest limitation of small sensors) between the two phones. Since they were taken both in the same conditions and at the same time (held side-by-side), I find it to be a valid comparison, but if you know of some other similarly-made photos I'd be open to see them :)

The thing is, the argument gets stale when you use the same ones over and over. It appears like they're the only pictures in the world that can suit your argument. :p

Sensamic
Jul 7, 2012, 02:57 PM

I had to wait for iOS 4 to decide to buy a iPhone, since before that iOS did not have multitasking.

Its amazing Apple waited to iOS 4 to bring us multitasking. And not to mention copy/paste also in iOS 3 I think...

And better notifications in... wait for it... :D:D:D iOS 5!!

And maps with turn by turn in... again... iOS 6.

The slow pace of iOS is kind of annoying. It would be much better than Android if it were to evolve at a faster pace.

outz
Jul 7, 2012, 03:00 PM
The slow pace of iOS is kind of annoying. It would be much better than Android if it were to evolve at a faster pace.

yeah i agree... i mean, on the other hand, the things apple does implement are typically well thought out and function as expected. i've had an iphone every year since the original, and the other week out of sheer bordom with ios i decided to pick up an s3. both my 4s and the s3 are great devices, i just decided i wanted to use something different for a while.

Mac.World
Jul 7, 2012, 03:08 PM
I had to wait for iOS 4 to decide to buy a iPhone, since before that iOS did not have multitasking.

Its amazing Apple waited to iOS 4 to bring us multitasking. And not to mention copy/paste also in iOS 3 I think...

And better notifications in... wait for it... :D:D:D iOS 5!!

And maps with turn by turn in... again... iOS 6.

And now it looks like NFC won't happen until iPhone 6 and ios 7.

Sensamic
Jul 7, 2012, 03:12 PM
Oh, and I forgot... like mattye says: wallpapers in iOS 4. Unbelievable... Thats the only customization you get.

And you want APIS you say? How about full sharing APIS with any app and not just twitter and Facebook in iOS?

Let me give you one example of something Ive been needing and wanting to do on iOS that I couldn't and now can on Android.

I have a Mac Mini as media center with Plex and a NAS with all my movies. Sometimes I forget to download the subtitles for foreign movies and put them on the NAS. With iOS I can upload pictures to the NAS via a dedicated app, but no other files.

With Android now I can download the subtitle from Chrome, which comes in .rar, I can extract the file using a app and then upload the file to my NAS using the same dedicated app than iOS, but better because it can upload ANY type of file to the NAS, not just pictures like iOS.

In a matter of 2 minutes I get this done and can watch my movie with subtitles :D:D:D Never could do the same on iOS. No way to extract a .rar file or to upload a .srt file to the NAS.

Is this more advanced to you than iOS?

Just compare the options in the SGS3 camera app to the iPhone camera app, or the Maps app.

Neither iOS or Android is perfect. iOS has more updates (but not that better like I previously said, since many stuff is already on Android and iPhone 4 doesn't get the new greatest features) and Android has more features.

oBMTo
Jul 7, 2012, 03:16 PM

How do you refute something that is baseless?

Useless.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 03:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aws7LT46lWk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aws7LT46lWk")

From this post

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15200246&postcount=257

So you don't trust the photos I posted, which come from an unbiased, third party source, but you trust a source from HighOnAndroid.com, who is openly Anti-Apple, and is an Android developer who writes kernels on XDA?

:p

Anyway, those iPhone 4S photos are clearly tainted. Not only do those results not match with photos I have personally taken on my iPhone (over 10 thousand now), they also do not match with those of any other third-party source on the web. It clearly looks like there's something covering the lens, as all photos are blurry and have very washed out colors, and the case is clearly affecting the flash. This is why the professionals don't do comparison reviews with phones that have cases + a huge sticker covering the whole back of the phone.

Any professional and un-biased reviewer would remove all external variables before starting, especially since it has been well documented how these things can affect the photo.

Look at the back of the iPhone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Aws7LT46lWk#t=280s

The sticker does not look aligned, and could be covering part of the lens

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/7vcwkibe/Selection_182.png

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/pswkbbrr/Selection_183.png

The photos also consistent with that of a scratched lens:

http://appleslut.com/blog/iphone/scratched-lens

http://appleslut.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/iphone-scratches.jpg

This is most clearly evident in his flash test:

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/btcd977j/Selection_184.png

I can reproduce this 100% of the time when taking low light flash photos with my case on. Something is not right here.

----------

How do you refute something that is baseless?

Useless.

You have not shown that it is baseless. Simply stating that does not make it so.

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 04:03 PM
So you don't trust the photos I posted, which come from an unbiased, third party source, but you trust a source from HighOnAndroid.com, who is openly Anti-Apple, and is an Android developer who writes kernels on XDA?

:p

Anyway, those iPhone 4S photos are clearly tainted. Not only do those results not match with photos I have personally taken on my iPhone (over 10 thousand now), they also do not match with those of any other third-party source on the web. It clearly looks like there's something covering the lens, as all photos are blurry and have very washed out colors, and the case is clearly affecting the flash. This is why the professionals don't do comparison reviews with phones that have cases + a huge sticker covering the whole back of the phone.

Any professional and un-biased reviewer would remove all external variables before starting, especially since it has been well documented how these things can affect the photo.

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/7vcwkibe/Selection_182.png)

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/pswkbbrr/Selection_183.png)

Image (http://appleslut.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/iphone-scratches.jpg)

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/btcd977j/Selection_184.png)

I can reproduce this 100% of the time when taking low light flash photos with my case on. Something is not right here.

----------

You have not shown that it is baseless. Simply stating that does not make it so.

I'm not disputing what you're saying, but one thing I will say is that the photo and video quality shown in his video for the Galaxy S3 is vastly superior to that shown in your photos. Were your pictures tainted too? :p

It's worth noting that there are currently about 4 known varieties of camera firmware for the Galaxy S3. Some take drastically better low light pictures with less noise than others. It could simply be that the firmware used in the pictures you showed was not a very good one.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 04:06 PM
Depends what the 1000 features were, and I don't really see your point.

You never actually list features in these debates, you just post in vague terms.

The thing is, the argument gets stale when you use the same ones over and over. It appears like they're the only pictures in the world that can suit your argument. :p

The point is, if you're calculating which platform is "ahead" by looking at a flat list of checkboxes, without weighing the value of those checkboxes, you aren't getting a complete picture. By your definition, Ubuntu is "ahead" of both Windows and OSX, but that clearly isn't true.

Matttye, I've listed them many times in my responses to mbell1975, it is a useless endeavor, because he ignores the post and regurgitates the same argument in the next thread, as if I didn't already prove him wrong. I'd rather not get in the same circular debate with him in every thread.

Regarding the photos, if someone makes the same argument over and over again, and never refutes my evidence to the contrary, there is no need to change my evidence. :) Is my evidence less true now, when it's being used against the 7th person who has made the claim, than it was when the first person made the claim? Of course not.

rocknblogger
Jul 7, 2012, 04:10 PM
No, it's not.

In some ways it's no different from an iPhone. All your contacts, emails, phone numbers are synced with your Gmail account. When you get a new phone, regardless on what carrier, all that stuff automatically syncs.

Data that is associated with apps can be backed up using one of the backup apps from the app store. Then when you get a new phone you just download the app and restore from backup. Some backup apps also back up the apps so that saves a step.

The bloat ware is usually apps for consuming content like NASCAR, NBA, NFL, music or video etc. Each carrier has their own set of bloat ware. But there's no data that you would save with any of these.

Hope that helps.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 04:15 PM
I'm not disputing what you're saying, but one thing I will say is that the photo and video quality shown in his video for the Galaxy S3 is vastly superior to that shown in your photos. Were your pictures tainted too? :p

It's worth noting that there are currently about 4 known varieties of camera firmware for the Galaxy S3. Some take drastically better low light pictures with less noise than others. It could simply be that the firmware used in the pictures you showed was not a very good one.

Really? If that's true, I was unaware. I thought all the S3's had the same camera, if not then we can't really make comparisons without knowing which one was used.

That being said, despite the handicapped iPhone 4S in the video, the S3 still showed the same deficiencies as in my example:

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/xn0yomdn/Selection_189.png

Vegastouch
Jul 7, 2012, 04:16 PM

I didnt know where yours came from. I do know you have every camera app made and for all i know , you posted those yourself. I didnt realize these were from a Android website. However, the video is live and it looks much better which matches the pictures as well.

I didnt expect you to agree, you never will when it comes to Android being better. You only comtinue to show the same results that favor your arguemets. For you, those results are golden, something else,... you have a reason why they arent if they arent in Apples favor.

Anyway, those iPhone 4S photos are clearly tainted.

You dont know that, and neither do it. You can email the guy and let him know you think they are.

Not only do those results not match with photos I have personally taken on my iPhone (over 10 thousand now), they also do not match with those of any other third-party source on the web.

Again,. you have 30 camera apps. I doubt you ever take a picture without editing it.

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/7vcwkibe/Selection_182.png)

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/pswkbbrr/Selection_183.png)

You have to be kidding. That sticker is on the other side of the phone ...AWAY from the lens. That is a reach trying to say that is all one sticker and trying to say the bottom isnt lined up. Clearly there is nothing on the lens. :rolleyes:

Image (http://appleslut.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/iphone-scratches.jpg)

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/btcd977j/Selection_184.png)

I can reproduce this 100% of the time when taking low light flash photos with my case on. Something is not right here.[COLOR="#808080"]

Your right, he isnt using some of your camera apps to make it look better. Just the regular camera. However, this is just as good as the evidence you showed in your photo comparison.
Now if the GS3 indeed uses different camera firmwares then i can see why some are different.

----------

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 04:19 PM
The point is, if you're calculating which platform is "ahead" by looking at a flat list of checkboxes, without weighing the value of those checkboxes, you aren't getting a complete picture. By your definition, Ubuntu is "ahead" of both Windows and OSX, but that clearly isn't true.

Matttye, I've listed them many times in my responses to mbell1975, it is a useless endeavor, because he ignores the post and regurgitates the same argument in the next thread, as if I didn't already prove him wrong. I'd rather not get in the same circular debate with him in every thread.

Regarding the photos, if someone makes the same argument over and over again, and never refutes my evidence to the contrary, there is no need to change my evidence. :) Is my evidence less true now, when it's being used against the 7th person who has made the claim, than it was when the first person made the claim? Of course not.

Right, the value of a lot of checkboxes in Android add up to excellent customisation and the freedom to do as you wish (mostly) on the platform. Clearly Android is ahead in those regards.

Clearly every camera will have its' strong points. I could take 50 pictures on my S3, five of which are better than the 4S, and go around showing those five pictures as evidence that the S3 camera is better. That's so lame it shouldn't even be called "evidence" because it proves nothing other than which was better in those specific circumstances. It doesn't even mean that the same device will be better in similar circumstances.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 04:25 PM
Right, the value of a lot of checkboxes in Android add up to excellent customisation and the freedom to do as you wish (mostly) on the platform. Clearly Android is ahead in those regards.

Clearly every camera will have its' strong points. I could take 50 pictures on my S3, five of which are better than the 4S, and go around showing those five pictures as evidence that the S3 camera is better. That's so lame it shouldn't even be called "evidence" because it proves nothing other than which was better in those specific circumstances. It doesn't even mean that the same device will be better in similar circumstances.

You are correct, Android is ahead on those regards.

Regarding the photos, I've found the dynamic range to be better on the iPhone in 100% of the photos I've seen. If your particular photo doesn't require a large dynamic range, however, you won't see it. If we were talking about things like focus, or white balance, or saturation...etc, things that the camera decides at the moment the photo is taken, then you would be correct. It is very possible for the quality to vary widely, even under similar circumstances. That's not what's being comapred here.

The dynamic range of the camera is an inherent limitation, that affects each and every photo to a varying degree.

Vegastouch
Jul 7, 2012, 04:26 PM
Really? If that's true, I was unaware. I thought all the S3's had the same camera, if not then we can't really make comparisons without knowing which one was used.

That being said, despite the handicapped iPhone 4S in the video, the S3 still showed the same deficiencies as in my example:

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/xn0yomdn/Selection_189.png)

OK, but the pole looks better and clearer on the S3, the black car looks better on the S3, the building looks better on the S3 and overall it is brighter and nicer to look at.

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 04:28 PM

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/xn0yomdn/Selection_189.png)

Yep definitely different camera firmwares:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1724124

Again you picked one part of the video that disadvantages the S3... you're good at that ;)

Check this one out:

I prefer the S3 picture, don't know about you.

lordofthereef
Jul 7, 2012, 04:40 PM
This camera argument is silly. I have tried many phones. I have the GNex and iPhone 4S currently. I was excited about the HTC ONE X camera. While it is cool that it does video and photos at the same time it didn't live up to the hype. I also tried the SGS3. While it wasn't bad, it also wasn't as good as the iPhone 4S. The 4S has been the best smartphone camera I have ever used, bar none.

As for the ridiculously blurry pics posted here... get real people. There are literally millions of pictures taken with the 4S all over the internet and they don't look anywhere near that bad. I am not saying the phone was altered, sabotaged, or anything else. I am not even going to say that sticker is the cause of it. But if that is how that phone is taking pics out of the box, there is clearly something wrong with it. That's just not how the 4S takes pics in low light conditioned.

Not that I feel I need to justify, but anyone who has been on these forums longer than a day knows I have Android's (and other competing OS's) back. Point blank, there is some misinformation being pushed as fact here.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 04:45 PM
Yep definitely different camera firmwares:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1724124

Again you picked one part of the video that disadvantages the S3... you're good at that ;)

Check this one out:

I prefer the S3 picture, don't know about you.

I choose the only photo in the video where dynamic range is an issue. Clearly the S3 is better in your example, not because of dynamic range, but because of sharpness and washed out colors, something which is a consistent problem throughout his video, and is not exhibited in any other third-party source, or in any photos I have personally taken or seen.

The dynamic range issue has been collaborated both by this video, and by every other third party source I've seen. Here are some from Engadget:

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/tqr7mzd4/Selection_190.png

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/p12mk1gb/Selection_191.png

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/4tdobtr5/Selection_192.png

And some from The Verge:

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/jo9fe3ad/Selection_193.png

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/y5zzcmtq/Selection_194.png

Of course, you cannot make a direct comparison, because the iPhone 4S wasn't there taking the same shot, but this is a systemic problem that shows up everywhere.

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 04:50 PM
This camera argument is silly. I have tried many phones. I have the GNex and iPhone 4S currently. I was excited about the HTC ONE X camera. While it is cool that it does video and photos at the same time it didn't live up to the hype. I also tried the SGS3. While it wasn't bad, it also wasn't as good as the iPhone 4S. The 4S has been the best smartphone camera I have ever used, bar none.

As for the ridiculously blurry pics posted here... get real people. There are literally millions of pictures taken with the 4S all over the internet and they don't look anywhere near that bad. I am not saying the phone was altered, sabotaged, or anything else. I am not even going to say that sticker is the cause of it. But if that is how that phone is taking pics out of the box, there is clearly something wrong with it. That's just not how the 4S takes pics in low light conditioned.

Not that I feel I need to justify, but anyone who has been on these forums longer than a day knows I have Android's (and other competing OS's) back. Point blank, there is some misinformation being pushed as fact here.

I'm not saying the 4S isn't better overall, just that the Galaxy S3 is better in a lot of the comparisons I've seen. There are clearly strengths and weaknesses to each camera phone, or each camera in general for that matter.

I choose the only photo in the video where dynamic range is an issue. Clearly the S3 is better in your example, not because of dynamic range, but because of sharpness and washed out colors, something which is a consistent problem throughout his video, and is not exhibited in any other third-party source, or in any photos I have personally taken or seen.

The dynamic range issue has been collaborated both by this video, and by every other third party source I've seen. Here are some from Engadget:

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/tqr7mzd4/Selection_190.png)

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/p12mk1gb/Selection_191.png)

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/4tdobtr5/Selection_192.png)

And some from The Verge:

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/jo9fe3ad/Selection_193.png)

Image (http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/y5zzcmtq/Selection_194.png)

Of course, you cannot make a direct comparison, because the iPhone 4S wasn't there taking the same shot, but this is a systemic problem that shows up everywhere.

Yep there's definitely a problem there.

lordofthereef
Jul 7, 2012, 04:55 PM
I'm not saying the 4S isn't better overall, just that the Galaxy S3 is better in a lot of the comparisons I've seen. There are clearly strengths and weaknesses to each camera phone, or each camera in general for that matter.

I wasn't necessarily talking about you. Truth be told, as I write this, I don't even know who posted said pics. But they were so ungodly blurry that they shouldn't even be used. A person that calls himself a reviewer posting pics like that literally can not and should not be taken seriously.

BaldiMac
Jul 7, 2012, 05:32 PM
With iPhone, you get what you get. There's relatively little customisation available. Hell, you couldn't even select a custom wallpaper until version.. 3 or 4? I can't remember.

I can't believe how much weight people seem to put on the ability to "customize" the home screen. Call me crazy, but I'm more concerned about the apps on my phone than making my home screen pretty.

And not to mention copy/paste also in iOS 3 I think...

Copy/Paste is always brought up this way as a pro-Android point. To me it's the perfect pro-iOS point. Yes, Android had copy/paste first. But it didn't actually work universally until more than a year after copy/paste came to iOS. It didn't even work with the email app! And reviews almost universally favored the iOS implementation to Android or WebOS.

To me, that's the clearest example of what the "Android has more features so it's clearly more advanced" argument is lacking.

DodgeV83
Jul 7, 2012, 05:39 PM
I can't believe how much weight people seem to put on the ability to "customize" the home screen. Call me crazy, but I'm more concerned about the apps on my phone than making my home screen pretty.

Copy/Paste is always brought up this way as a pro-Android point. To me it's the perfect pro-iOS point. Yes, Android had copy/paste first. But it didn't actually work universally until more than a year after copy/paste came to iOS. It didn't even work with the email app! And reviews almost universally favored the iOS implementation to Android or WebOS.

To me, that's the clearest example of what the "Android has more features so it's clearly more advanced" argument is lacking.

I'm not really sure about that either...I mean how many people are clamoring to customize their Windows "home screen" or Start Menu, outside of changing the wallpaper :p

matttye
Jul 7, 2012, 05:44 PM

Me too. Launchers and widgets are part of home screen customisation, however, and they do much more than simply look pretty. :)