PDA

View Full Version : [phones] iPhone 4S vs Galaxy S3

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

Vegastouch
Jul 18, 2012, 10:03 AM
You love picking battles with me, don't you? :rolleyes:

No, in most other forums that is a disbelief or a whatever emoticon. There just isnt many of them on this place and imo it is mislabeled.

nooaah
Jul 18, 2012, 10:41 AM
Sales figures and the value of my AAPL stock say otherwise. I'm expecting to jump to 700 per share by Christmas with the new iPhone. By then you'll have another Android phone to tout as the new iPhone killer - and if 2012 iPhone sales are through the roof, like they will be, you can just say everybody's drinking Kool Aid.

Anyway, enough indulging this guy. I've taken another step toward keeping my S3 and selling my 4S. I went back to my 4S for a moment and did realize the size of the screen isn't that much of a big deal to me. I'm sure 4" would be fine for me. 4.8" isn't too big, but even 3.5" doesn't seem too small as long as both phones aren't side by side. I personally prefer the colors of the Samsung much more, though. I do miss the clarity of the retina display.

I've been biting my lip with this but I have to say with 100% certainty that, in my opinion, I think the sound quality from the S3 is just superior to the iPhone's through headphones and my car stereo. The S3's speaker isn't much louder or clearer than the iPhone's - don't really hear what other people are talking about here.

As far as I can tell, the iPhone does the following much, much better:

Ease of use
Simple integration
Availability of accessories
Quality of apps
Frequency of software updates

90% of phone users don't want to tinker with their settings to get the phone to the point that it's perfect for them. They want to make some app folders, change their background, and send emojis. They really don't care about widgets. I feel like they get in the way and I was much happier with my IntelliScreenX setup, personally (yes, I get that I had to jailbreak but I also actually bought the S3).

This is where Apple is superior and this is why their sales are higher. It's the best phone for most people. Trying to be patronizing and telling people they don't know what they really like is just obnoxious.

nefan65
Jul 18, 2012, 10:54 AM
In case you haven't noticed, this board is mostly about speculation. Apple doesn't give us much in the way of facts.

You're simply being biased against anybody who isn't always pro-Apple.

No, I'm being honest like you. You're rude, and condescending in most, if not all your posts. Sorry you're biased against anyone who doesn't agree with you.

mjpearce023
Jul 18, 2012, 11:04 AM
I can bet you Jobs left a few years worth of plans. Sure the rumors have been consistent but their not necessarily true. Remember last year when everyone said we were getting an iPhone 5 with a redesigned body and a bigger screen and all we got was a 4S with the same design? That just proves the rumors aren't necessarily true.

That is true. Last year all the rumors were completely false despite being pretty consistent. With the fact that Apple is supposedly doubling down on secrecy I wonder if the leaks are not planned to throw people off. I just don't see how that would help because some people are buying the S3 on the assumption that the rumors are correct. With Apple itís hard to believe anything until the official announcement.

Mac.World
Jul 18, 2012, 11:05 AM
No, most in most other forums that is a disbelief or a whatever emoticon. There just isnt many of them on this place and imo it is mislabeled.

There are plenty of emoticons in the VIP area. http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/images/smilies/HatTip.gif so come on in and we'll http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/images/smilies/drunk.gif before we continue doing this:
http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/images/smilies/beatdeadhorse.gif

mattopotamus
Jul 19, 2012, 07:49 AM
Also, even though the Nexus is an old phone now....jellybean, IMO, makes it the best in the market currently. Insanely smooth and google now destorys siri

MonkeySee....
Jul 19, 2012, 07:54 AM
Also, even though the Nexus is an old phone now....jellybean, IMO, makes it the best in the market currently. Insanely smooth and google now destorys siri

iOS6 thinks otherwise.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 19, 2012, 08:31 AM
Sales figures and the value of my AAPL stock say otherwise. I'm expecting to jump to 700 per share by Christmas with the new iPhone. By then you'll have another Android phone to tout as the new iPhone killer - and if 2012 iPhone sales are through the roof, like they will be, you can just say everybody's drinking Kool Aid.

Anyway, enough indulging this guy. I've taken another step toward keeping my S3 and selling my 4S. I went back to my 4S for a moment and did realize the size of the screen isn't that much of a big deal to me. I'm sure 4" would be fine for me. 4.8" isn't too big, but even 3.5" doesn't seem too small as long as both phones aren't side by side. I personally prefer the colors of the Samsung much more, though. I do miss the clarity of the retina display.

I've been biting my lip with this but I have to say with 100% certainty that, in my opinion, I think the sound quality from the S3 is just superior to the iPhone's through headphones and my car stereo. The S3's speaker isn't much louder or clearer than the iPhone's - don't really hear what other people are talking about here.

Ease of use
Simple integration
Availability of accessories
Quality of apps
Frequency of software updates

90% of phone users don't want to tinker with their settings to get the phone to the point that it's perfect for them. They want to make some app folders, change their background, and send emojis. They really don't care about widgets. I feel like they get in the way and I was much happier with my IntelliScreenX setup, personally (yes, I get that I had to jailbreak but I also actually bought the S3).

This is where Apple is superior and this is why their sales are higher. It's the best phone for most people. Trying to be patronizing and telling people they don't know what they really like is just obnoxious.

It's users like you that need to do a iPhone vs Android/SG3 review thread.

mattopotamus
Jul 19, 2012, 10:57 AM
iOS6 thinks otherwise.

i mean ios6 may make it better, but right now it is leaps and bounds better....i mean not even near it

MonkeySee....
Jul 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
i mean ios6 may make it better, but right now it is leaps and bounds better....i mean not even near it

In terms of interaction or Information gathering?

Dmaynard83
Jul 19, 2012, 12:10 PM
S3 is still choppy compared to 4s. There have been multiple threads on why this os is choppy compared to ios. That's a deal breaker for me.

daveathall
Jul 19, 2012, 12:11 PM
S3 is still choppy compared to 4s. There have been multiple threads on why this os is choppy compared to ios. That's a deal breaker for me.

I have both, that just isn't the case.

Dmaynard83
Jul 19, 2012, 12:15 PM

As do I. And I notice lag time.

cynics
Jul 19, 2012, 12:16 PM
iOS6 thinks otherwise.

And Android 5.0 rethinks otherwise?

Let's stick to what is currently available to the masses.

chakraj
Jul 19, 2012, 12:17 PM
4s and IOS is way more chopy than the S3.

Dmaynard83
Jul 19, 2012, 12:18 PM

It's sad when better hardware doesn't get rid of lag on android os.

nefan65
Jul 19, 2012, 12:23 PM

Kids...Kids!!! That's enough! BOTH of your toys are nice. Now go play while the adults continue to talk. If you're good, you can have some cookies later.

daveathall
Jul 19, 2012, 12:24 PM

Yet you still got the S3?

As do I. And I notice lag time.

Dmaynard83
Jul 19, 2012, 12:27 PM
Yet you still got the S3?

Girlfriend got it cause she missed swype. What's hers is mine.

mattopotamus
Jul 19, 2012, 01:02 PM
In terms of interaction or Information gathering?

voice recognition is way better. The tie in with google is much better too and faster than siri

I have the s3 with me right now, but TouchWiz pisses me off to the point i do not want the phone....it is not as smooth as the 4s. I also have a galaxy nexus that is faster than both in terms of UI. Jellybean alone makes me want to keep the nexus until the new nexus comes out directly from google, so i can avoid all of the crap samsung and att put on the phone or the iphone5 comes out. The s3 is nice and internet speeds are insane, but that is LTE not the phone. I enjoy the simplicity of IOS and pure android best :)

oh and i don't jailbreak or root my phones, so keeping the s3 is not a question

daveathall
Jul 19, 2012, 01:07 PM
voice recognition is way better. The tie in with google is much better too and faster than siri

I have the s3 with me right now, but TouchWiz pisses me off to the point i do not want the phone....it is not as smooth as the 4s. I also have a galaxy nexus that is faster than both in terms of UI. Jellybean alone makes me want to keep the nexus until the new nexus comes out directly from google, so i can avoid all of the crap samsung and att put on the phone or the iphone5 comes out. The s3 is nice and internet speeds are insane, but that is LTE not the phone. I enjoy the simplicity of IOS and pure android best :)

oh and i don't jailbreak or root my phones, so keeping the s3 is not a question

Try this to get rid of the lag;

From the home screen press Menu > Settings > Developer options > Window animation scale and Transition animation scale

Now change both to 0.5x or set it to off. This helps more the US versions since they are using the dual-core instead of the quad core processor.

Hope this helps.

mattopotamus
Jul 19, 2012, 01:14 PM
Hope this helps.

wow...everything opens with zero transition now, thank you

daveathall
Jul 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
wow...everything opens with zero transition now, thank you

My pleasure, glad it helps, I read about it at another place, because I am in the UK, it doesn't really work with mine, the quad core seems to be really snappy. We don't get the advantage of LTE though.

I must admit that I am also hoping for a great new iPhone when it is released, I still have an upgrade.:D

mattopotamus
Jul 19, 2012, 01:20 PM
My pleasure, glad it helps, I read about it at another place, because I am in the UK, it doesn't really work with mine, the quad core seems to be really snappy. We don't get the advantage of LTE though.

I must admit that I am also hoping for a great new iPhone when it is released, I still have an upgrade.:D

i can upgrade at the subsidized prices....so like $450ish, which isn't bad. That is crazy that trick you posted though. My brain cannot process the zero delay. When i click the internet or mail app it just appears....almost like it was already on the screen

lilo777
Jul 19, 2012, 01:36 PM
*Ease of use

That's subjective. I'd say that Android phone with a weather widget is much easier to use to get weather forecast than iPhone. What evidence do you have that iPhone is easier to use?

*Simple integration

This is achieved by limiting OS feature set. Then again some examples would help.

*Availability of accessories

True but the appeal is limited. On the other hand, while Android ecosystem offers fewer accessories it does offer way more phones. iOS - one phone model. Android - dozens of phone models. I'd say this is more important than limited selection of accessories.

*Quality of apps

Only anecdotal evidence. One could argue that some apps (like Maps and Navigation) are much better on Android. The major apps released by large companies are usually identical on both platforms. Besides, even if Android is still lacking in app quality it offers more types of apps (Apple does not allow many app types into App Store)

*Frequency of software updates

What about it? Android had two major updates (ICS and Jelly Bean) since iOS 5 and iOS had none. In just this year Android got major UI update (and reached iOS smoothness level) and Voice Interface update (Google Now) that gave Android better capabilities than what Siri offers.

mattopotamus
Jul 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
^ also, simple things like the flashlight widget just makes sense....why would i open an app to launch a flashlight

NikeTalk
Jul 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
Touchwiz is basically just swiping back and forth?? Is this what people are complaining about?

nooaah
Jul 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
What about it? Android had two major updates (ICS and Jelly Bean) since iOS 5 and iOS had none. In just this year Android got major UI update (and reached iOS smoothness level) and Voice Interface update (Google Now) that gave Android better capabilities than what Siri offers.

Didn't the Galaxy S2 just get ICS? The phones themselves don't get updates when Google releases them - that's the issue with fragmentation. Yes, my bullet points are subjective, but they seem to be subjective points shared by many in their buying decisions. I really don't see why it matters to certain Android users that a lot of people prefer iPhones.

BaldiMac
Jul 19, 2012, 02:10 PM
What about it?

Are we supposed to pretend that you don't know what he is talking about? Maybe we are supposed to pretend that the fact that 90% of Android users are on an almost two year old version of the OS is beside the point. Including high profile Android devices being sold now.

Android had two major updates (ICS and Jelly Bean) since iOS 5 and iOS had none.

Interesting way of counting there. ICS and iOS 5 were released the same month. Android has had one major update since then. And, again, more then 90% of Android users haven't had any major updates in the last two years.

mattopotamus
Jul 19, 2012, 02:12 PM
Touchwiz is basically just swiping back and forth?? Is this what people are complaining about?

It adds it's own custom UI. Most people would actually probably really like it, but i like simplicity and this is busy. Touchwiz does have some good things like picture in picture, if you have a contact open and lift it to your ear it calls them, and some other cool touch gestures.

Didn't the Galaxy S2 just get ICS? The phones themselves don't get updates when Google releases them - that's the issue with fragmentation. Yes, my bullet points are subjective, but they seem to be subjective points shared by many in their buying decisions. I really don't see why it matters to certain Android users that a lot of people prefer iPhones.

that is why i bought the nexus...always the first to get the update. The issue is the carries issue the updates (unless you have a nexus they come from google) and they want to add their own "bloatware" in before they release the update. It will be about 4-5 months before jellybean hits non-nexus phones

nooaah
Jul 19, 2012, 02:15 PM

I'm thinking lag has more to do with how you guys have your phones setup. I don't really see much of a difference between both phones. The only time I've gotten lag with my S3 was when I put Chrome in landscape. The scrolling is extremely choppy but it's fine in portrait. Seems like a software issue. The OS itself has been smooth and the battery on 4G has been as good or better than the 4S.

On a side note:

Still can't tell if iOS is much more intuitive or if I'm still just too unfamiliar with Android. However, my girlfriend, who is the opposite of tech-savvy, got an iPhone recently as an upgrade from a dumbphone and immediately was using it with ease. She hates my S3 because it's too cluttered. FYI she's a very bright woman (nurse practitioner, 4.0 GPA in grad school) but she just doesn't have time nor does she care to be bothered with studying an operating system and tinkering with it to get it to work. She doesn't care about having freedom with her phone. At all.

Mac.World
Jul 19, 2012, 02:21 PM

Yes, the S2 did just get the ICS update, but it is pure and utter crapitude. First, it wasn't released by the carriers, you had to plug into your pc and run Samsungs 'keis' software(itunes equivalent) to get the update. This one was not OTA. And the update itself has caused all kinds of issues on so many S2's. My wife is using an S2 until I get her the next iPhone, and I had to downgrade the phone back to Gingerbread 2.3.5, which is not the last update for GB, just the last one that was flawless. 2.3.6 doesn't allow your soft buttons at the bottom to remain lit for more than 6 seconds.

Now that the S2 is back on this old OS version, it works as it is supposed to. There are many flaws with Android and it can be a pain on some phones with certain carriers and this is because of fragmentation. However, I see a company like Samsung moving to an Apple-esque type business within the Android world. I think we'll see Samsung still make cheapsmartphones for some parts of theworld, but only make 3 really good quality phones to rival theiPhone. (Note, Galaxy S series andthe Nexus for Google). I also hope that Samsung will start to tell carriers that they won't be allowed to do the updates anymore, since it takes them forever! Everything will be ota via Samsung direct, just like Apple does it.

lilo777
Jul 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
Are we supposed to pretend that you don't know what he is talking about? Maybe we are supposed to pretend that the fact that 90% of Android users are on an almost two year old version of the OS is beside the point. Including high profile Android devices being sold now.

Interesting way of counting there. ICS and iOS 5 were released the same month. Android has had one major update since then. And, again, more then 90% of Android users haven't had any major updates in the last two years.

You know the answer to this issue. If you want to get Android updates as soon as Google releases them, you buy Google phone (i.e. Nexus).

daveathall
Jul 19, 2012, 02:40 PM
I must admit that the update process (for me anyway) is far from ideal, I had one firmware update since I bought the phone (S3) just over two weeks ago, it was a minor update, but it was clear that my carrier (O2 in the UK) were quite slow on the uptake, I eventually got the update by an alert from Kies on my MBP, the update went fine but I did notice that there were apps installed by my carrier that were not there before the update. Deleting these was straightforward, but nevertheless, quite annoying.

I cannot comment on major upgrades as yet but as far as I am concerned Apple owns the update game, iOS updates are far smoother. Period.

BaldiMac
Jul 19, 2012, 02:45 PM
You know the answer to this issue. If you want to get Android updates as soon as Google releases them, you buy Google phone (i.e. Nexus).

That's just a cop out. Just because a small percentage of Android users get an update in a reasonable amount of time does not mean it isn't an issue for Android as a whole. (And of course, the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon shows even Nexus owners can have significant update delays.)

lilo777
Jul 19, 2012, 02:59 PM
That's just a cop out. Just because a small percentage of Android users get an update in a reasonable amount of time does not mean it isn't an issue for Android as a whole. (And of course, the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon shows even Nexus owners can have significant update delays.)

The fact that customers know that updates might be delayed and still buy Android phones other than Nexus clearly indicates that most people do not care about timely updates. This is simply a non issue. Most regular folks who buy iPhone do not care about updates either. And we are not talking about Android issues in general here. As a customer, one has an easy solution for Android "fragmentation". And customers really do not care about this issue in general (and most are not even aware of it).

BaldiMac
Jul 19, 2012, 03:06 PM
The fact that customers know that updates might be delayed and still buy Android phones other than Nexus clearly indicates that most people do not care about timely updates. This is simply a non issue. Most regular folks who buy iPhone do not care about updates either. And we are not talking about Android issues in general here. As a customer, one has an easy solution for Android "fragmentation". And customers really do not care about this issue in general (and most are not even aware of it).

This is nothing more than the rationalization that Apple fanboys are famous for.

It's funny how when it comes to feature and performance comparisons, pro-Android posters like to pick and choose individual models and throw the rest under the bus. But when it comes time to whip out who has the biggest market share, every device derived from the Android source code counts.

cwwilson
Jul 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
I cannot comment on major upgrades as yet but as far as I am concerned Apple owns the update game, iOS updates are far smoother. Period.

you must have forgotten the 5.1 debacle. That thing was a disaster I remember the servers being down for days and I had to torrent the update.

BaldiMac
Jul 19, 2012, 04:35 PM
you must have forgotten the 5.1 debacle. That thing was a disaster I remember the servers being down for days and I had to torrent the update.

Not being perfect does not mean they aren't the best. :)

cwwilson
Jul 19, 2012, 04:39 PM
Not being perfect does not mean they aren't the best. :)

Yep, that one incident aside they have a very solid track record. :-)

depths
Jul 19, 2012, 04:42 PM
How would you rate Android updates to the GSM Nexus compared to IOS updates?

Technarchy
Jul 19, 2012, 06:33 PM
How would you rate Android updates to the GSM Nexus compared to IOS updates?

iOS is still better.

This harsh reminder will certainly appear once SIII owners start the waiting game for JB, and wont see Key Lime at all unless they buy an S4.

depths
Jul 19, 2012, 06:50 PM
What does the s3 have to do with my question?

Do you think IOS has a better update system than the Nexus?

batting1000
Jul 19, 2012, 06:59 PM
What does the s3 have to do with my question?

Do you think IOS has a better update system than the Nexus?

Yeah. iOS updates are more consistent and planned out, if you will. Galaxy Nexus updates are inconsistent; sometimes they come out with a new phone, sometimes at Google I/O, etc.

lordofthereef
Jul 19, 2012, 07:02 PM

Personally, I don't view it as a cop out. If you want to compare Google's updating of their OS to Apple's, it stands to reason that you would compare their official devices. Apple launches one new official iPhone a year. Google launches one new official Nexus Phone a year.

I realize this is an SGS3 thread. I also realize that if a phone doesn't launch with stock Android, it won't be getting an update quickly, if at all. It always baffles my mind when people buy a device without stock Android knowingly and then complain when an update doesn't hit. That's like me complaining that iOS won't let me change my keyboard. It's just not happening.

Allegrotechie
Jul 19, 2012, 07:19 PM
Hi Guys and Girls,

I am after some advice as to features that are on the new Galaxy S3 and what the alternative is on :apple: iPhone 4S...

S-Talk = Siri
Direct Call =
Smart Stay =
Smart Alert =
Social Tag =
S Beam =
All Share Play =
Buddy Photo Share =

If there isn't a direct alternative a similar alternative would be ok!! :)
Honestly after using both the iPhone 4S and Galaxy S3 I fell the Galaxy S3 is better in everyday.
Better Camera, screen, look/design, battery, features, OS. Go ahead down vote me, but it's just an honest comparison.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110918152646?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Vegastouch
Jul 19, 2012, 07:21 PM
True but the appeal is limited. On the other hand, while Android ecosystem offers fewer accessories it does offer way more phones. iOS - one phone model. Android - dozens of phone models. I'd say this is more important than limited selection of accessories.

And to add to that, ...yes there are less accessaries but i have everything i need. I have a GS3 and i have a car charger, a screen protector, a bluetooth device on my car visor and a holster if i need/want to use it for work, and i have a case on the back with many more i can choose if i want another and they have different battery back covers that come in metal but then the NFC wouldnt work if i use one of those.

What else do i need?

depths
Jul 19, 2012, 07:36 PM
Yeah. iOS updates are more consistent and planned out, if you will. Galaxy Nexus updates are inconsistent; sometimes they come out with a new phone, sometimes at Google I/O, etc.

That's not really an issue though is it?

They both update at essentially the same rate, does it matter if the update is released with a new model or at an event like I/O?

Not trying to start an argument but I think with their Nexus devices Google is doing well with updates.

Hopefully as the line grows people will be able to find a Nexus to suit their needs. The Galaxy Nexus is great but there's a few things that could be improved as Technarchy likes to point out. S3 specs with pure 4.1 would be amazing.

The mess with other carrier phones is a different story and deserves every bit of criticism it gets. Even the Verison Nexus got screwed.

Sensamic
Jul 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsF02hBBK_I&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just look how fast JB will be in the SGS3. Seems even faster than the Galaxy Nexus plus having a bigger screen and better camera and all.

And... it looks a lot more faster than iOS (in the web browser, opening folders, moving through the app drawer, etc).

Who says know iOS is still faster and smoother?

chris2k5
Jul 19, 2012, 09:17 PM

Just look how fast JB will be in the SGS3. Seems even faster than the Galaxy Nexus plus having a bigger screen and better camera and all.

And... it looks a lot more faster than iOS (in the web browser, opening folders, moving through the app drawer, etc).

I agree that Jelly Bean kicks ass. I've been playing with it for a week now and it is pretty amazing.

What sucks is the installation. It took me 10 hours to get the Galaxy Nexus bootloader to unlock. Then I had to root it. Then I had to flash the Jelly Bean ROM. In the middle of the process I semi-bricked my Galaxy Nexus too.

Zaft
Jul 19, 2012, 09:20 PM

I would say it it's as fast as ios now. I don't know how you can honestly say alone more faster then IOS.

batting1000
Jul 19, 2012, 09:21 PM
I agree that Jelly Bean kicks ass. I've been playing with it for a week now and it is pretty amazing.

What sucks is the installation. It took me 10 hours to get the Galaxy Nexus bootloader to unlock. Then I had to root it. Then I had to flash the Jelly Bean ROM. In the middle of the process I semi-bricked my Galaxy Nexus too.

Sounds like too much to get the latest update. Didn't the OTA come out this past week?

chris2k5
Jul 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
Sounds like too much to get the latest update. Didn't the OTA come out this past week?

Only for GSM. They left CDMA/LTE users out in the dust to do it manually.

I was so used to iPhone and iOS and I thought the restore was so EASY...But with Android if you do one thing wrong you are so screwed. Expect hours of research and downloading countless apps and files to get a fix.

depths
Jul 19, 2012, 09:50 PM

Man you ****ed up.

OSX or Windows?

I don't think you can brick a Nexus, if you can I've not heard of it happening.

batting1000
Jul 19, 2012, 09:59 PM

I was so used to iPhone and iOS and I thought the restore was so EASY...But with Android if you do one thing wrong you are so screwed. Expect hours of research and downloading countless apps and files to get a fix.

That's why consistent updates are important for Android and why manufacturers should possess a bit more urgency with their updates. A majority of consumers don't want to tinker with their device to get the latest updates, especially if there is a risk of bricking it.

chris2k5
Jul 19, 2012, 10:05 PM
Man you ****ed up. I had the SDK and fastboot set up in under half an hour, it was painless.

OSX or Windows?

I don't think you can brick a Nexus, if you can I've not heard of it happening.

You probably had a lot more experience before?
This was my first time so I can imagine what other noobies are going through.
I was using OSX and it turns out a lot of the programs and files aren't made for OSX so I had to get on a Windows PC to do it.

It was a pain getting the SDK recognition and fast boot at the same time.

nooaah
Jul 19, 2012, 10:16 PM

They're about the same.

Mac.World
Jul 19, 2012, 10:29 PM

It's extremely difficult to brick a phone. People use that word too much and it has lost its true meaning. And there are 3 websites (xda, androidcentral and androidforums) that I know of that tell you step by step how to restore any Android phone. Even a caveman could follow these directions. don't know why you needed hours of esearch and downloading countless apps?

I restored an S2 from 4.0.4 back to 2.3.5 and it takes about 30 seconds (barring the time it takes to download a stock .tar file and Odin 1.85 or 3.04, depending on the phone.) Easier and faster than unjailbreaking an iPhone.

By the way, using a Mac to do anything with Android blows. There is a reason Odin is a .exe file.

Sensamic
Jul 19, 2012, 10:30 PM
I would say it it's as fast as ios now. I don't know how you can honestly say alone more faster then IOS.

Because I've had an iPhone 4 and an iPad for over 2 years and I know just how fast the transitions are. I haven't tried JB so I'm talking about what I see on that video and to me it looks like the overall transitions are faster and smoother. I think anyone can see that on the video. I still have my iPad and looking at the transitions and speed when opening apps or scrolling in the web browser seems to take a little bit longer than JB on that video.

It even looks a lot more faster and smooth than my current ICS SGS3.

We have to admit that it definitely looks more faster than iOS. And it's only an alpha ROM...

batting1000
Jul 19, 2012, 10:35 PM
That's not really an issue though is it?

They both update at essentially the same rate, does it matter if the update is released with a new model or at an event like I/O?

Not trying to start an argument but I think with their Nexus devices Google is doing well with updates.

Hopefully as the line grows people will be able to find a Nexus to suit their needs. The Galaxy Nexus is great but there's a few things that could be improved as Technarchy likes to point out. S3 specs with pure 4.1 would be amazing.

The mess with other carrier phones is a different story and deserves every bit of criticism it gets. Even the Verison Nexus got screwed.

Yes. I agree. That's a big issue that CDMA / carrier Nexuses need to have worked on. At the end of the day, it's still a Nexus and deserves the latest updates and support from Google, especially because unlocked devices can't be used on CDMA carriers.

nooaah
Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
I just wish VZW would unlock the damn bootloader.:mad:

depths
Jul 19, 2012, 10:36 PM
You probably had a lot more experience before?
This was my first time so I can imagine what other noobies are going through.
I was using OSX and it turns out a lot of the programs and files aren't made for OSX so I had to get on a Windows PC to do it.

It was a pain getting the SDK recognition and fast boot at the same time.

No it was my first time but I used Windows. OSX can be a pain the arse sometimes, I don't even try to use my macbook pro for that stuff.

Bobby Corwen
Jul 19, 2012, 10:41 PM

All you have to do is slide the screen up and down while holding a finger on the screen. The embarrassing (c'mon it's 2012!!!!!) lag is still there lol.

Mac.World
Jul 19, 2012, 10:48 PM
They're about the same.

Concur. Anyone saying JB is faster than iOS or vice versa when switching between pages, opening the app drawer or apps would literally need a $50,000 high speed video camera to measure the difference in pico-seconds!

Web browsing speeds have more to do with connection speed, pre-rendering capability, javascript performance and software/hardware optimization. Different web browsers will operate faster or slower on the same phone, much less a different piece of hardware. It also doesn't help that Apple won't release the nitro engine api to 3rd party browsers like Atomic!

----------

All you have to do is slide the screen up and down while holding a finger on the screen. The embarrassing (c'mon it's 2012!!!!!) lag is still there lol.

This is completely inaccurate information at least when referencing phones like the HOX, Nexus, S2, S3, And Note. Maybe if you got some cheap pay and go free phone that has crappy hardware and running an outdated OS like Froyo or Eclair, I can understand.

But I have noticed all of your posts are very biased and full of misinformation.

Sensamic
Jul 19, 2012, 10:55 PM

You are embarrassing yourself once again man. You should stop lying and giving false information.

JB is actually faster than iOS. It's getting really tired reading your posts...

Dear God...

depths
Jul 19, 2012, 11:04 PM
I have noticed all of your posts are very biased and full of misinformation.

I agree.

Sensamic
Jul 19, 2012, 11:11 PM
iOS is still better.

This harsh reminder will certainly appear once SIII owners start the waiting game for JB, and wont see Key Lime at all unless they buy an S4.

You can bet I will get Key Lime Pie on my SGS3 thanks to CM11.

Even the SGS1 and SGS2 are getting JB with CM10, so imagine the SGS3 how far will it go with its powerful hardware.

And it will be stock Key Lime Pie. And it will be the full Android OS, not missing key new features like in iOS...

Bobby Corwen
Jul 20, 2012, 12:07 AM
This is completely inaccurate information at least when referencing phones like the HOX, Nexus, S2, S3, And Note. Maybe if you got some cheap pay and go free phone that has crappy hardware and running an outdated OS like Froyo or Eclair, I can understand.

But I have noticed all of your posts are very biased and full of misinformation.

No you just don't get it. You're the one that is biased.

depths
Jul 20, 2012, 12:16 AM
Mac.World has mentioned a few times that he uses both IOS and Android and doesn't come across as someone who is biased to me.

You on the other hand use flowery words like magical and elegant to describe the iPhone and trash Android every chance you get.

chris2k5
Jul 20, 2012, 01:30 AM
It's extremely difficult to brick a phone. People use that word too much and it has lost its true meaning. And there are 3 websites (xda, androidcentral and androidforums) that I know of that tell you step by step how to restore any Android phone. Even a caveman could follow these directions. don't know why you needed hours of esearch and downloading countless apps?

I restored an S2 from 4.0.4 back to 2.3.5 and it takes about 30 seconds (barring the time it takes to download a stock .tar file and Odin 1.85 or 3.04, depending on the phone.) Easier and faster than unjailbreaking an iPhone.

By the way, using a Mac to do anything with Android blows. There is a reason Odin is a .exe file.

Good for you. Want a cookie?

MonkeySee....
Jul 20, 2012, 04:11 AM

Siri understands 99.9% of what I say. Why is the tie in with google better? Siri uses Wolfram Alpha really well. Gets info on Movies and Sports very well and also interacts well when scheduling appointments and setting reminders etc.

Have you actually used Siri?

daveathall
Jul 20, 2012, 04:41 AM
I think that my S3 and iPhone 4S are very similar in the performance stakes, neither IMHO is the winner, speed wise I can't tell the difference, as for updates my experience favours the iOS system, for the design and build quality however, they are, IMHO on a par with each other, if one were to enlarge an iPhone 3GS, one would probably find it difficult to distinguish between it and the SGS3. For my use however, the screen and particularly the size make it my first choice.

To sum up, both are superb phones worthy of any pocket, the SGS3 IMHO just shades it in being a bit more modern feeling (To me at least) and has a larger screen. I expect the new iPhone to raise the bar again, and why not? It is good that Apple have now got some competition. It makes it better for us.

mattopotamus
Jul 20, 2012, 06:16 AM
Siri understands 99.9% of what I say. Why is the tie in with google better? Siri uses Wolfram Alpha really well. Gets info on Movies and Sports very well and also interacts well when scheduling appointments and setting reminders etc.

Have you actually used Siri?

siri doesn't understand a lot of things i ask it and resorts to web searches...it doesn't pick up my voice good at all. Also, if it is not dealing with numbers (wolfram) then it is really slow. I would say something that takes siri 8 or 9 seconds takes google now about 3 seconds. Imagine wolfram Alpha but with a much bigger variety since it pulls its information from google. The speed of alpha, but for 90% of your questions. Siri was excellent of setting reminders and number questions, but most of the time it used google anyways...so google's voice will obviously do it better. I haven't tried beta IOS so that may make siri better. Oh and i would say 9/10 text i sent using siri had to be corrected by hand

BaldiMac
Jul 20, 2012, 08:47 AM
Personally, I don't view it as a cop out. If you want to compare Google's updating of their OS to Apple's, it stands to reason that you would compare their official devices. Apple launches one new official iPhone a year. Google launches one new official Nexus Phone a year.

You shifted the goalposts. I wasn't comparing "Google's updating of their OS to Apple's". I was comparing Android as a whole to iOS.

I realize this is an SGS3 thread. I also realize that if a phone doesn't launch with stock Android, it won't be getting an update quickly, if at all. It always baffles my mind when people buy a device without stock Android knowingly and then complain when an update doesn't hit. That's like me complaining that iOS won't let me change my keyboard. It's just not happening.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect reasonable updates from the various Android distributors. The problems with the Android business model are actually problems, not excuses. Google keeps the development of the open source OS closed until it's "ready". That's why there are update problems.

Zaft
Jul 20, 2012, 08:50 AM
You shifted the goalposts. I wasn't comparing "Google's updating of their OS to Apple's". I was comparing Android as a whole to iOS.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect reasonable updates from the various Android distributors. The problems with the Android business model are actually problems, not excuses. Google keeps the development of the open source OS closed until it's "ready". That's why there are update problems.

not true at all. Blame the carriers, they would rathe you buy a new phone with the update then just give you the update on your current one.

BaldiMac
Jul 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
not true at all. Blame the carriers, they would rathe you buy a new phone with the update then just give you the update on your current one.

That's another reason. It doesn't make what I said not true. Part of the problem for the carriers is that the benefit they would gain from updating the OS is mitigated by the timing created by Google.

Google announces the new OS to much fanfare. At this point, the value of the update is at it's highest. However, the manufacturers still have months of work to do to customize the OS to their UI and devices. By the time they are ready to release, the good will that they receive from releasing the update has already died down and the next big thing is right around the corner.

majuha
Jul 20, 2012, 09:46 AM
I might as well ask this in here, about Google Voice Search.

I've read articles and seen a few videos posted on Youtube about Voice Search, and most examples seem to be about just searching stuff, like "how tall is George Bush" or "what is 50 miles in kilometers?" etc.

I haven't seen or read anything about stuff like updating Facebook or Twitter, is it possible? What about read or compose new text messages, is that possible? Adding a memo? Book, move or delete meetings, and even look up existing meetings? Is it possible to use different search engines apart from Google, i.e. Wikipedia, Yahoo etc? Look up specific videos on Youtube?

The search function seem to work very well and is extremely fast, it will be interesting to see if Siri will speed up when the new iPhone comes out.

Zaft
Jul 20, 2012, 11:14 AM
You can bet I will get Key Lime Pie on my SGS3 thanks to CM11.

Even the SGS1 and SGS2 are getting JB with CM10, so imagine the SGS3 how far will it go with its powerful hardware.

And it will be stock Key Lime Pie. And it will be the full Android OS, not missing key new features like in iOS...

Why are you arguing on a macforum? You clearly prefer android so why bother even being here? God you people are really something....

tekno
Jul 20, 2012, 11:18 AM
Why are you arguing on a macforum? You clearly prefer android so why bother even being here? God you people are really something....

Something you're going to have to realise is that, unlike you, a lot of people don't use only Apple products. They may have a Mac and an Android phone. So they're a member of this community and often choose to discuss other things. Especially when a lot of people have moved from iPhone or are considering the move, an Apple forum is a good place to get some info.

nefan65
Jul 20, 2012, 11:34 AM
Something you're going to have to realise is that, unlike you, a lot of people don't use only Apple products. They may have a Mac and an Android phone. So they're a member of this community and often choose to discuss other things. Especially when a lot of people have moved from iPhone or are considering the move, an Apple forum is a good place to get some info.

Agreed. But a lot of these posts are nothing more than "Mine is better, and you're %^$^ if you choose something else. Both sides mind you...

The same thing happened last year when the 4s was close to release, and the Nexus came out. It'll soon subside.

Zaft
Jul 20, 2012, 11:45 AM

Discuss? they arent dicussing, all i see is "my android is better then iphone ect ect ect". There really shouldent even be any versus threads in the first place. Its like they are SURPRISED that people on MACRUMORS prefer iphone.. who would think right?:rolleyes:

Sensamic
Jul 20, 2012, 12:30 PM
Check out this tweet I read last night while doing a Twitter search of the SGS3:

So after using the Samsung Galaxy S III for a grand total of 5 minutes, i'm really underwhelmed by my iPhone. -_- #techieproblems -- Christopher Gordon (@chrisgordon81)

You can find it yourself doing s Twitter search using the key words "iPhone underwhelmed".

BaldiMac
Jul 20, 2012, 01:33 PM
Check out this tweet I read last night while doing a Twitter search of the SGS3:

So after using the Samsung Galaxy S III for a grand total of 5 minutes, i'm really underwhelmed by my iPhone. -_- #techieproblems -- Christopher Gordon (@chrisgordon81)

You can find it yourself doing s Twitter search using the key words "iPhone underwhelmed".

HOLY CRAP! SOME RANDOM PERSON POSTED ON TWITTER THAT THEY MIGHT CONSIDER SWITCHING AWAY FROM THE IPHONE!!!

Everyone, please, do yourself a favor and check it out! You'll never say a good thing about the iPhone again!!!!!! :eek:

nefan65
Jul 20, 2012, 01:45 PM

And? One guy on the Internet, posted something on Twitter. So out of all the tweets, with SG3 in the content, you found 1. That's like saying I found one grain of red sand on the beach.

Wrathwitch
Jul 20, 2012, 01:53 PM
who the hell is chris gordon?

Ya know, this is one reason I have never bothered with twitter. There is NO ONE out there that I give enough of a crap to bother "following". The only person I WOULD have was Steve Jobs and we know that ain't gonna happen.

Twitter is almost as bad as FB if not worse. FB has someone talk about the big dump they just had and twitter has a bunch of people come on and tweet about it.....

mjpearce023
Jul 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
If itís good enough for Chris Gordon its good enough for me. ;)

The s3 is a good phone although I think the screen is a bit disappointing. After using the iPhone and trying out the One X the S3 screen is a step down in my opinion. If the S3 had the same screen as the One X I would probably have one right now. I must admit the Red S3 is tempting but I will wait to see what the iPhone 5 looks like. I don't get what the argument is when all this stuff comes down to personal preference.

THE JUICEMAN
Jul 20, 2012, 02:25 PM
i can upgrade at the subsidized prices....so like $450ish, which isn't bad. That is crazy that trick you posted though. My brain cannot process the zero delay. When i click the internet or mail app it just appears....almost like it was already on the screen

That is a very interesting trick. I wonder why it isn't widely known. Does it look weird with no transition animation at all? That might freak me out too. LOL

soulreaver99
Jul 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
This thread is officially retarded. Hope the mods close it.

Sensamic
Jul 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
HOLY CRAP! SOME RANDOM PERSON POSTED ON TWITTER THAT THEY MIGHT CONSIDER SWITCHING AWAY FROM THE IPHONE!!!

Everyone, please, do yourself a favor and check it out! You'll never say a good thing about the iPhone again!!!!!! :eek:

Hahahaha... Well, no, its not funny...

Relax dude. Its just a guys opinion, just as good as yours... :rolleyes:

BaldiMac
Jul 20, 2012, 03:09 PM
Hahahaha... Well, no, its not funny...

Relax dude. Its just a guys opinion, just as good as yours... :rolleyes:

The funny part was why you felt the need to post his opinion instead of your own.

And, for the record, I consider my opinion much more valuable to me than Christopher Gordon's. :) This idea that everyone's opinion is just as good as anyone else's is what has led us to Fox News. :p

lordofthereef
Jul 20, 2012, 03:41 PM

I am not shifting the goalposts... it's impossible to make the comparison you are making being that there are so many flavors of every version of Android. As an example, Samsung's offering is very Different from HTC's, which is very different from Motorola's. I can make the choice to pick up theird party features, and likely get left behind, or I can go with what Google is officially offering and not be. Compare Apples to Apples. Compare stock iOS to stock Android. It's the only comparison that is truly fair and makes sense in this case.

Now, I am aware that this is an iPhone 4S versus SGSIII thread. If you are comparing the two devices, I would absolutely agree with you. the SGSIII is not likely to get continued support years down the road based on Samsung's previous track record.

BaldiMac
Jul 20, 2012, 04:10 PM
I am not shifting the goalposts... it's impossible to make the comparison you are making being that there are so many flavors of every version of Android.

Impossible? I think 90% of Android users on a two year old OS (including high profile devices that are currently available and even heavily promoted) compared to whatever the current number is for iOS is a pretty reasonable comparison.

As an example, Samsung's offering is very Different from HTC's, which is very different from Motorola's. I can make the choice to pick up theird party features, and likely get left behind, or I can go with what Google is officially offering and not be. Compare Apples to Apples. Compare stock iOS to stock Android. It's the only comparison that is truly fair and makes sense in this case.

That only makes sense if I'm comparing Apple to Google. I'm not. Fragmentation is a fact of the Android experience. It's part and parcel with the model that Google and the device manufacturers chose. Arguing that Android has quick update ability while ignoring that those updates aren't made available to 95%+ of Android users is completely disingenuous.

lordofthereef
Jul 20, 2012, 04:13 PM
Impossible? I think 90% of Android users on a two year old OS (including high profile devices that are currently available and even heavily promoted) compared to whatever the current number is for iOS is a pretty reasonable comparison.

You are looking for a reason to ding the platform here. These heavily promoted devices are not promoted by Google. They are promoted by Samsung, HTC, etc. etc.

That only makes sense if I'm comparing Apple to Google. I'm not. Fragmentation is a fact of the Android experience. It's part and parcel with the model that Google and the device manufacturers chose. Arguing that Android has quick update ability while ignoring that those updates aren't made available to 95%+ of Android users is completely disingenuous.
You can compare whatever you want. I am aware of what you are comparing. I am saying that I don't find it to be a fair comparison. (I think I said exactly that, so I won't repeat it again since it would be pointless a third time). The Android users not getting the updates are choosing devices that are unlikely to get said updates. If they want to make that choice, more power to them. Fragmentation is NOT fact to the Android experience. It's fact for the majority of Android devices out there, sure. Every tingle carrier offers a stock Android experience phone though. Nobody is forced into choosing the device with the UI overlay.

BaldiMac
Jul 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
You are looking for a reason to ding the platform here. These heavily promoted devices are not promoted by Google. They are promoted by Samsung, HTC, etc. etc.

Again, I'm not talking about Google. I'm talking about Android. It is a problem with the platform. An advantage to the platform is that it is open and people can mess with it. A disadvantage to the platform is that it is open and people can mess with it.

You can compare whatever you want. I am aware of what you are comparing. I am saying that I don't find it to be a fair comparison.

I'm sure you've chimed in with similar arguments whenever Android market share is compared to iOS market share. :) Do you also find it unfair that all of these devices are promoted as "Android" even though it's not stock Android?

Sensamic
Jul 20, 2012, 04:56 PM

And how about iOS "fragmentation"? The iPhone 3GS and 4 are not getting the best new features of iOS: Siri, turn by turn navigation, Flyover, 3D Maps, FaceTime over 3G, etc.

iOS gets much more updates, yes, but the features old devices are getting are pretty little: VIP mailbox, Facebook integration, dismiss call with SMS, new redesing stores, new Safari features, etc.

Its better than nothing, obviously, but people make it seem like iOS updates brings all of the new features to old devices. Ios devices only recieve one full update and the next ones are partial (which makes you need to upgrade if you want Siri and all).

Ipad 2 has not get Siri for example. And iPad 1 doesnt receive any updates after only 2 years (and it was a premium product).

Is iOS 6 the same in the iPhone 3GS, 4 and 4S? Nope. I would call that fragmentation too. Apple tries to force consumers to upgrade to the new iPhone just like other manufacturers such as Samsung, HTC, Motorola, etc.

lordofthereef
Jul 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
I'm sure you've chimed in with similar arguments whenever Android market share is compared to iOS market share. :) Do you also find it unfair that all of these devices are promoted as "Android" even though it's not stock Android?

No, I don't because it is a stupid comparison and I know it. The only potential usefulness of those stats is to show how many people use Android over iOS, in terms of smartphone use. Even then, what difference does it make. There are 99 cent droids on a pay as you go network. Of COURSE they are going to sell more. If they didn't, that means there is a HUGE problem and Google is doing EVERYTHING wrong.

I use both platforms daily, I don't pick sides. I like to tell it like it is, whenever possible, and if I am shown to be wrong, I happily admit it. :)

----------

And how about iOS "fragmentation"? The iPhone 3GS and 4 are not getting the best new features of iOS: Siri, turn by turn navigation, Flyover, 3D Maps, FaceTime over 3G, etc.

I made this argument in another thread. The response? Apple said it is a hardware limitation and the burden of proof is mine to prove that it isn't. :rolleyes:

NodrogJA
Jul 20, 2012, 05:34 PM

I'm actually the Christopher Gordon referenced in this tweet.

What struck me immediately was the difference in screen display technologies, color saturation, size, fidelity and sharpness as compared to the iPhone.

The Super AMOLED HD screen was absolutely gorgeous and really, left me with the impression of viewing an LED TV.
Google Maps looked great, although to be fair it prolly looks just as good on any Android handset.
Ice cream sandwich had a perceptible bit of lag as compared to iOS so not an improvement to me.

I'm entirely too invested in the iOS and Apple ecosystem at this point to consider leaving and to be frank i'm sure the next iPhone will leave me amazed and wanting to upgrade.

You guys are reading a bit too much from one tweet.

Cheers

LIVEFRMNYC
Jul 20, 2012, 05:59 PM
Concur. Anyone saying JB is faster than iOS or vice versa when switching between pages, opening the app drawer or apps would literally need a $50,000 high speed video camera to measure the difference in pico-seconds!

Don't give nobody crazy ideas like that. I can already see a 20 page thread argument based on some app loading 1/1000 of a millisecond faster.

Sensamic
Jul 20, 2012, 06:05 PM
[/COLOR]

I made this argument in another thread. The response? Apple said it is a hardware limitation and the burden of proof is mine to prove that it isn't. :rolleyes:

I have the iPad 1 so I knew I was not getting iOS 6, but I would have been mad if I had bought the iPad 2 and then see I was not getting Siri with iOS 6.

iPad 2 has the same specs than the iPhone 4S: A5 chip and 512MB RAM. So whats the problem? Dont tell me its screen resolution since thats nonsense.

IPad 2 is only 1 year old, same as the iPhone 4 when it didnt get Siri.

At least every device upgrading to Jelly Bean will get the new Google Voice Search and Google Now, not just the new Nexus phone.

lordofthereef
Jul 20, 2012, 06:12 PM
I have the iPad 1 so I knew I was not getting iOS 6, but I would have been mad if I had bought the iPad 2 and then see I was not getting Siri with iOS 6.

iPad 2 has the same specs than the iPhone 4S: A5 chip and 512MB RAM. So whats the problem? Dont tell me its screen resolution since thats nonsense.

IPad 2 is only 1 year old, same as the iPhone 4 when it didnt get Siri.

At least every device upgrading to Jelly Bean will get the new Google Voice Search and Google Now, not just the new Nexus phone.

With Siri, the argument is that it is the microphone not performing up to Apple's standards on lesser models (iPhone 4, iPad 2, etc.. Again, this is something I am simply regurgitating (off the top of my head mind you) from responses directly to me in another thread. I even remember mentioning that we have gotten these features working on the very units that Apple claimed hardware limitation on. The answer to that was that Apple's quality control is much more strict than any end user's would be and therefore it just didn't pass their quality control. In other words, while the hardware CAN support it, Apple didn't feel it was good enough.

Why am I saying all this? Just to point out that one can talk himself into believing just about anything. I prefer not to believe without some sort of evidence, and from where I sit, the evidence is not in Apple's favor. I am certainly not just going to take a company's word for it. "Because we said so" just doesn't cut it for me.

Sensamic
Jul 21, 2012, 11:45 AM
Seems like Apple defenders dont want to comment on iOS fragmentation... Why would that be?

Guess the truth hurts :D:D

Zaft
Jul 21, 2012, 09:50 PM
Seems like Apple defenders dont want to comment on iOS fragmentation... Why would that be?

Guess the truth hurts :D:D

Fragmentation for developers is what I think people are talking about.

entatlrg
Jul 21, 2012, 10:00 PM
If itís good enough for Chris Gordon its good enough for me. ;)

The s3 is a good phone although I think the screen is a bit disappointing. After using the iPhone and trying out the One X the S3 screen is a step down in my opinion. If the S3 had the same screen as the One X I would probably have one right now. I must admit the Red S3 is tempting but I will wait to see what the iPhone 5 looks like. I don't get what the argument is when all this stuff comes down to personal preference.

What didn't you like about your One X, how did it compare to the S3?

I went from a One X to a One S on my second line, still prefer my iPhone. Thinking of trying an S3 but wonder if it will impress me more than the One X and One S have?

matttye
Jul 22, 2012, 05:20 AM
Something that has made my life a lot easier the last day or so, and it's not specific to the S3, but an incredible piece of software... TASKER.

It can automate practically everything.

I've set up these profiles:

1. Monday - Friday, 10pm - 7am - silent mode on. (loud outside of these times)
2. Saturday - Sunday, 12am - 10am - silent mode on. (loud outside of these times)
3. Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5pm - silent mode on. (loud outside of these times)
4. When I arrive at home, turn WiFi on. When I leave home, turn WiFi off.
5. When I connect to bluetooth in car, disable screenlock, turn all volumes up to max, then start Spotify.
6. When I connect to bluetooth speaker at home, start Spotify.
7. When I plug headphones in, start Spotify.
8. When I press and hold the play button on my headphones, if I'm not in the Spotify or default music player apps, it loads S Voice for me and I can then speak into the mic. (some would argue this should have been built in, but never mind :p)
9. When I shake the phone and the screen is on, it loads S Voice. I anticipate this might cause problems when I'm navigating in my car.. if so I'll disable this one. Edit: nevermind, just added a "not Navigation" clause.

Love it :D

mjpearce023
Jul 22, 2012, 03:21 PM
What didn't you like about your One X, how did it compare to the S3?

I went from a One X to a One S on my second line, still prefer my iPhone. Thinking of trying an S3 but wonder if it will impress me more than the One X and One S have?

The one thing I hated about the One X is that the home button didn't turn the screen on. I have gotten so used to hitting the home button that I did that every time I picked up the phone and nothing happended. You have to reach up to the top of the phone and hit the power button. I like that the s3 has a home button that turns the screen on. I loved the screen on the One X but I felt the iPhone had better depth when looking at pictures so despite the great screen on the One X it still felt like a step backwards. I also didn't like the default email app on the One X but I didn't get a chance to check out any other ones. I don't think the S3 screen is as good as the One X or the iPhone and that is one reason I haven't gotten one. I also like the idea of iMessages coming to my iPhone and iPad so I am waiting to see what the iPhone 5 has. I only spent about 15 minutes with the S3 so I can't say if it's better than the One X or not. I think it would be for me but everybody is different so you will just have to try it out.

Sensamic
Jul 22, 2012, 04:12 PM
Updated today to firmware LFB and now I'm a little bit happier. Apps load faster and the brightness seems to be better. Also Wi-Fi performance is better and calls are lower with the new extra sound trick. Also the power button is faster (finally!!). There's also a new camera firmware to improve quality and has new filters.

Overall it's a great update. This makes me want even more the JB update, which I hope will make the phone even faster with project butter. Also can't wait for the new Google search voice.

In a few months this phone is gonna be so so much better. With JB it's gonna be a beast.

And I haven't rooted yet.

Vegastouch
Jul 22, 2012, 05:25 PM
Updated today to firmware LFB and now I'm a little bit happier. Apps load faster and the brightness seems to be better. Also Wi-Fi performance is better and calls are lower with the new extra sound trick. Also the power button is faster (finally!!). There's also a new camera firmware to improve quality and has new filters.

Overall it's a great update. This makes me want even more the JB update, which I hope will make the phone even faster with project butter. Also can't wait for the new Google search voice.

In a few months this phone is gonna be so so much better. With JB it's gonna be a beast.

And I haven't rooted yet.

Rumor today from TMonews says JB could be coming to the GS3 as soon as next month. I would welcome it but doubt it is that soon. Samsung is also testing it to work on the GS2.

Here is a Link (http://www.tmonews.com/2012/07/rumor-says-android-4-1-jelly-bean-coming-to-galaxy-s-iii-as-soon-as-next-month-samsung-testing-for-galaxy-s-ii/) to the rumor

Mac.World
Jul 22, 2012, 05:55 PM
Rumor today from TMonews says JB could be coming to the GS3 as soon as next month. I would welcome it but doubt it is that soon. Samsung is also testing it to work on the GS2.

Here is a Link (http://www.tmonews.com/2012/07/rumor-says-android-4-1-jelly-bean-coming-to-galaxy-s-iii-as-soon-as-next-month-samsung-testing-for-galaxy-s-ii/) to the rumor

If it is anything like the ICS update for the S2, I won't be downloading it until a quality stable version comes out. I refuse to deal with a crap update again.

Vegastouch
Jul 22, 2012, 05:59 PM
If it is anything like the ICS update for the S2, I won't be downloading it until a quality stable version comes out. I refuse to deal with a crap update again.

JB 4.1.1 is the last JB update. Dont know why we wouldnt be getting that.

Mac.World
Jul 22, 2012, 06:11 PM
JB 4.1.1 is the last JB update. Dont know why we wouldnt be getting that.

Not saying we won't be getting it, I'm just gonna wait until others download it and give it a thumbs up. When the ICS update was released via Kies from Samsung for the S2 Skyrocket on att, everyone jumped on it. Then we came to realize it was a messed up update. I actually reverted my wife's S2 back to 2.3.5

Sensamic
Jul 22, 2012, 06:51 PM
Not saying we won't be getting it, I'm just gonna wait until others download it and give it a thumbs up. When the ICS update was released via Kies from Samsung for the S2 Skyrocket on att, everyone jumped on it. Then we came to realize it was a messed up update. I actually reverted my wife's S2 back to 2.3.5

Yeah I heard that. Thankfully we can downgrade to any firmware we want. Same thing happened to the 3GS with iOS 4 or 5, don't remember. Apple had to release a new update to improve speed and all.

I also don't expect the JB update until September or October. Don't trust Samsung at all, but I think they will want to release before the new iPhone comes out to attract more sales.

IOS 6 was announced before JB and still it's probable that it will come after we get JB so I'm not that worry. IOS takes 4 months to be out.

I've also just noticed that the gallery is way faster. Before the biggest folder I have used to reload every time and now it's fully loaded always. No need to reload every picture again and again (it was fast but still...). Now gallery is like 2x faster. Extremely happy with this.

majuha
Jul 23, 2012, 07:40 AM
I might as well ask this in here, about Google Voice Search.

I've read articles and seen a few videos posted on Youtube about Voice Search, and most examples seem to be about just searching stuff, like "how tall is George Bush" or "what is 50 miles in kilometers?" etc.

I haven't seen or read anything about stuff like updating Facebook or Twitter, is it possible? What about read or compose new text messages, is that possible? Adding a memo? Book, move or delete meetings, and even look up existing meetings? Is it possible to use different search engines apart from Google, i.e. Wikipedia, Yahoo etc? Look up specific videos on Youtube?

The search function seem to work very well and is extremely fast, it will be interesting to see if Siri will speed up when the new iPhone comes out.

Can anyone who have tried Voice Search answer this?

Cheers

nooaah
Jul 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
Well, I'm back to iOS/iPhone. I gave it two weeks but in the end, I know I just prefer iOS. Oh well, it is a nice phone.

Eddie Bombay
Jul 23, 2012, 11:22 PM
For Facebook you just say Facebook update and then say what you want to say. It's the same with Twitter. Then if it's correct say update again.

http://img.tapatalk.com/4b53570e-2329-7d24.jpg

Dreamer2go
Jul 26, 2012, 06:41 AM
I want to post a little review of my take on the Samsung Galaxy SIII
I have been using the iPhone 4S (jailbroken) since it came out in Hong Kong, and I decided to switch over because of the iPhone 5 rumors (I don't really just want a taller screen), and a not-so-exciting iOS 6 OS.
I'll make this as unbiased as possible.

Design:

The S3 does look a bit plastic, but I feel like the thin and lightness makes up of it. The 4S does have an edge on the "design" here, because it just feels solid, and good to hold. Not too heavy, not too light. Both got their pros and cons.

Screen color:

This is what set the difference. The color in iPhone 4S looks more saturated than the S3. The S3 has very bright colors, probably due to the SuperAMOLED. I have compared both phones with a picture of Barack Obama, and (not being racists here), his dark skin color appears to be so different from both phones.
I would say the iPhone 4S is more "natural" in viewing photos, while S3 shows more vibrant colors. I prefer the 4S here.

Screen Size:

But taken the screen size into comparison, S3 wins hands down. I feel so comfortable viewing everything with a bigger screen.
Viewing website.... watching videos... feels nicer on the S3 than the 4S.

One thing to notice though, I have both IGN apps on both phones, and the Retina display kicks in better when I watch "The Daily Fix".... it seems sharper and clearer.
But I find it more enjoyable to watch/read stuff on the S3 than the 4S. S3 wins here.

Homescreen UI

We are now talking about the OS.
Android's UI wins hands down. It is more customize-able, more options, more features, more stuff you can put on in all "home screens".
You can make it simple with just icons/folders, or messy with widgets, icons and folders.
Customization (freedom to do that) is the key.
iOS's Homescreen is too simple. Too "the same since 2007"....
Granted, I did jailbreak the iPhone, but it's hard for me to find the customize still. I have to download Winterboard, find the appropriate themes etc... it was a hassle, coz my phone always hangs with "mobile substrate" errors. (I think that's what it is called)
I like Android for this here.

Camera and editing

I think the iPhone 4S takes better photos (clearer and more details), maybe due to the optics.
But on the other hand, the S3 takes better videos.
Both got good editing features, but S3's stock camera app wins hands down.
Granted, I have some nice 4S camera apps that can edit photo nicely too..... kinda a draw to me.

Keyboard

This is when I think iOS's keyboard is a lot better. yes there is Swiftkey 3, but it doesnt have Chinese input yet, so I'm stuck with the Samsung Chinese IME input, which sucks.
I like iOS's cut/copy/paste much better than Android's as well.
This is the feature I miss the most for iOS.

Apps

No comment here because the apps I have in iOS, is basically the same as the Android version....
In my opinion though, iOS's whatsapp does looks nicer. But that's just ONE app. A draw to me.

Notifications:

I jailbroken my 4S to make it feel like the Android's. That means, I think Android's notification center/bar wins the iOS's original one.

What else?
Battery life, still testing. Seems the same to me between 4S and S3...
Siri > S voice. I disabled S voice lol.
I like the ability to back up my stuff to a microSD card too.....
Google Maps > iOS 6 maps though...... I cannot live without streetview.

Conclusion

In the end, I think both OS has its merits and shortcomings.
I miss the iOS dearly, and I can switch back anytime..... but for now, I will stick with Android because of the better MAPS and SCREEN SIZE... that is the reason why I switched anyways.

Before you guys bash me, it's just my opinion. I think both systems are great, but again, just my "need" is different, and S3 is the phone that suits my need for the moment.

=)
Cheers

bigsexyy81
Jul 26, 2012, 01:41 PM
Sold my 4S this morning and got the S3.

Happy with it so far.
And that is that. Selling the GS3 to go back to the iPhone.

Huge screen, LED indicator, SD card slot, widgets... they're all great. But it doesn't come close to the polish and ease of use of iOS.

And this 6'4 guy can't stand the width of the S3. Combination of just too long and too wide. One handed operation for doing anything, such as launching an app on the homescreen, is difficult.

Bawsh
Jul 26, 2012, 03:32 PM
And that is that. Selling the GS3 to go back to the iPhone.

Huge screen, LED indicator, SD card slot, widgets... they're all great. But it doesn't come close to the polish and ease of use of iOS.

And this 6'4 guy can't stand the width of the S3. Combination of just too long and too wide. One handed operation for doing anything, such as launching an app on the homescreen, is difficult.

How small are your hands? ._.

batting1000
Jul 26, 2012, 03:44 PM
Can anyone who have tried Voice Search answer this?

Cheers

No, I don't believe Google Now / Voice search updates statuses, unless you have a GS3 and use S-Voice. It can do things like makes notes and calendar appoints, but I don't think it can move them or check what appointments you have for the day.

----------

How small are your hands? ._.

Unfortunately not everyone has large hands. It was his decision you get rid of the device so there's no need to troll people because of a choice they made.

Sincci
Jul 26, 2012, 04:37 PM
Personally I have found that it really doesn't matter how big your hands are if you know the right technique how to hold the phone. It took me few months to adjust from going Galaxy S1 to S2 due to the 0.3" larger screen. At first I really couldn't use it with only one hand, but then I started holding the phone in a different way (I just moved my right hand's little finger from the side to underneath the phone to support it) and all the sudden I could text with one hand with no problems at all. To me this kind of typing position really doesn't feel like I'm stretching my thumb into an unnatural positions, but I guess it might not apply to everyone.

daveathall
Jul 26, 2012, 04:41 PM
Just use two hands.

ChazUK
Jul 26, 2012, 04:43 PM
Just use two hands.

It really worries me what people are doing with the "other hand" to make one handed use a necessity.... :eek::p

Sincci
Jul 26, 2012, 04:55 PM
Mostly, holding a can/bottle of beer :D

preguntonontrac
Jul 31, 2012, 04:18 PM
Still rocking my S3, my 4s still stored... When i bought it to see what was all the fuzz about i thought i was gonna switch back to my 4s. I was wrong, it keeps amazing me. About the holding issue, it was weird the first week now it feels just like my 4s. The 4s screen seems too small for me now. Like when you get used to a 42" HD tv and start watching movies in a smaller screen like a monitor, is just wrong.

Eddie Bombay
Aug 2, 2012, 01:37 AM
Still rocking my S3, my 4s still stored... When i bought it to see what was all the fuzz about i thought i was gonna switch back to my 4s. I was wrong, it keeps amazing me. About the holding issue, it was weird the first week now it feels just like my 4s. The 4s screen seems too small for me now. Like when you get used to a 42" HD tv and start watching movies in a smaller screen like a monitor, is just wrong.

As long as you don't get a case for the phone it feels pretty good in the hand. Once you get a case, even if it's the Seidio Surface Case (the thin one) it's pretty hard to use with one hand.

Sensamic
Aug 2, 2012, 11:07 AM
Aaaahh Android...

I can always root no matter which version I have in my phone... not like iOS, where I needed to wait months for a new jailbreak when iOS was updated...

So good...

Vegastouch
Aug 5, 2012, 05:22 PM
I used my navigsation today for the first time since early July. Was going to a store and just forgot which direction i needed to go off the freeway(North or South) to get there so i just put in the name of it and wow.....i didnt see this before but the maps are friggin awesome looking now. Much better than ever before.

I cant imagine iOS6 having their Maps look like this when the new iPhone comes out.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-03.png

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-11.png

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-57.png

batting1000
Aug 5, 2012, 05:24 PM
I used my navigsation today for teh first time in a little while. Was going to a store and just forgot which way i needed to go off teh freeway(North or South) to get there so i just put in the name of it and wow.....i didnt see this before but the maps are friggin awesome looking now. Much better than ever before.

I cant imagine iOS6 having their Maps close to this for while.

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-03.png)

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-11.png)

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-57.png)

May I ask why they're so amazing? It's just the directions on top of satellite images.

Vegastouch
Aug 5, 2012, 05:30 PM
May I ask why they're so amazing? It's just the directions on top of satellite images.

Which looks amazing. Does your do that?

Maybe i never had it in satellite form before but it sure looks pretty cool and gives more detail.

batting1000
Aug 5, 2012, 05:33 PM
Which looks amazing. Does your do that?

Maybe i never had it in satellite form before but it sure looks pretty cool and gives more detail.

If I turned on satellite in iOS 6 it would.

In iOS 5, it shows the satellite view and directions but no turn by turn (obviously).

Vegastouch
Aug 5, 2012, 05:37 PM
If I turned on satellite in iOS 6 it would.

In iOS 5, it shows the satellite view and directions but no turn by turn (obviously).

Then you dont have it since only developers have iOS 6. Maybe the new Maps will have it, maybe not. I cant see the new maps being close to Googles maps at this stage.

In anycase, im just saying its the first time ive used that look and i like the details it gives to show things around you.

batting1000
Aug 5, 2012, 05:44 PM
Then you dont have it since only developers have iOS 6. Maybe the new Maps will have it, maybe not. I cant see the new maps being close to Googles maps at this stage.

In anycase, im just saying its the first time ive used that look and i like the details it gives to show things around you.

It will have it, not "maybe". I've used the latest beta. Again, the current public version of iOS has it as well, sans the turn by turn.

----------

This isn't the best picture because the 3D is on and it didn't finish loading, but you can clearly see turn by turn + satellite.

(not my picture)

http://siliconangle.com/files/2012/06/iOS-6-Hands-On-Turn-by-Turn-directions.jpg

cynics
Aug 5, 2012, 07:37 PM
It will have it, not "maybe". I've used the latest beta. Again, the current public version of iOS has it as well, sans the turn by turn.

----------

This isn't the best picture because the 3D is on and it didn't finish loading, but you can clearly see turn by turn + satellite.

(not my picture)

Image (http://siliconangle.com/files/2012/06/iOS-6-Hands-On-Turn-by-Turn-directions.jpg)

This looks like butt compared to the 3D view above. Have any better pictures?

batting1000
Aug 5, 2012, 07:49 PM
This looks like butt compared to the 3D view above. Have any better pictures?

I would if I was still on beta 3 but I'm not. I did a quick Google Images search couldn't find any better pictures.

(The GS3 in Vegas' pictures aren't in 3D, it's just plain old satellite.)

I was just trying to prove that the 4S can show satellite and 3d imagery while doing turn by turn. It was only because the screenshot appears to be taken before the 3D imagery loaded fully because it doesn't normally look as bad as that.

Vegastouch
Aug 5, 2012, 07:59 PM
I would if I was still on beta 3 but I'm not. I did a quick Google Images search couldn't find any better pictures.

I was just trying to prove that the 4S can show satellite and 3d imagery while doing turn by turn. It was only because the screenshot appears to be taken before the 3D imagery loaded fully because it doesn't normally look as bad as that.

Yeah but i dont really care to know that. You just always want to show us something...lol. I know yours isnt as good and wont be for a while.

Mine shows street names, highways names, the interstate , the turn by turn works great and it zooms in and out perfectly when needed.

djtech42
Aug 5, 2012, 08:10 PM
Yeah but i dont really care to know that. You just always want to show us something...lol. I know yours isnt as good and wont be for a while.

Mine shows street names, highways names, the interstate , the turn by turn works great and it zooms in and out perfectly when needed.

iOS 6 maps does all of that, and it does it very well, especially zooming in and out during turn by turn. The satellite imagery on Apple Maps is more up-to-date than Google in my area. It runs very smooth, so just because Android has had turn by turn all this time, doesn't necessarily mean it has the best maps experience.

batting1000
Aug 5, 2012, 08:24 PM

Yep, Apple maps does that too. Not sure there are any maps that don't show that stuff.

Eddie Bombay
Aug 5, 2012, 08:48 PM
One think I did which was pretty amazing on my S3 is I installed a new TTS voice over the default Google voice for the Navigation. It sounds so real it's freakin amazing. :D

Uploading a video to youtube to my fellow S3ians who want in on this! Video made w/ the iPad XD

Edit: Video uploaded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-ZigITNKEM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Vegastouch
Aug 5, 2012, 09:22 PM
One think I did which was pretty amazing on my S3 is I installed a new TTS voice over the default Google voice for the Navigation. It sounds so real it's freakin amazing. :D

Uploading a video to youtube to my fellow S3ians who want in on this! Video made w/ the iPad XD

Edit: Video uploaded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pe4Be_oMKs

I dont have that speech option. Just Google text to speech or Samsung TTS

Eddie Bombay
Aug 5, 2012, 09:33 PM
I dont have that speech option. Just Google text to speech or Samsung TTS

My bad, go here and install the free app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ivona.tts&hl=en

Then here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ivona.tts.voicebeta.eng.usa.kendra&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLml2b25hLnR0cy52b2ljZWJldGEuZW5nLnVzYS5rZW5kc mEiXQ..

Vegastouch
Aug 5, 2012, 10:07 PM
My bad, go here and install the free app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ivona.tts&hl=en

Then here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ivona.tts.voicebeta.eng.usa.kendra&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLml2b25hLnR0cy52b2ljZWJldGEuZW5nLnVzYS5rZW5kc mEiXQ..

Thanks, i actually think the Samsung TTS is pretty good too.

Mac.World
Aug 5, 2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks, i actually think the Samsung TTS is pretty good too.

Download SVOX. I prefer a female English accent, so I have 'Victoria's voice from England. They have just about every language supported in SVOX.

Eddie Bombay
Aug 5, 2012, 10:14 PM
I redid the video showing where it is in the market. I forgot I can record my desktop on my S3 with voice enabled.

Vegastouch
Aug 5, 2012, 10:27 PM
iOS 6 maps does all of that, and it does it very well, especially zooming in and out during turn by turn. The satellite imagery on Apple Maps is more up-to-date than Google in my area. It runs very smooth, so just because Android has had turn by turn all this time, doesn't necessarily mean it has the best maps experience.

And it doesnt have to be. It is pretty good and gets me from A to B. I just never used it in satellite mode before and thought it looked pretty impressive. I just like to see the detail of the area.

Ive no idea what Apple is doing and it doesnt really matter to me anyways.

Eddie Bombay
Aug 5, 2012, 10:29 PM
Download SVOX. I prefer a female English accent, so I have 'Victoria's voice from England. They have just about every language supported in SVOX.

Keep in mind that Google navigation requires the text to speech voice to match the phone language so you need to change it in settings.

Oh yea, SVOX is also 2.99 ea.

batting1000
Aug 5, 2012, 10:35 PM
Thats understood, but you also mentioned how you couldn't imagine Apple maps having this feature in iOS 6 which is why I pointed out it was possible. That's all.

LIVEFRMNYC
Aug 5, 2012, 11:54 PM
Personally, I don't really care for any satellite imagery while using turn by turn navigation. I just don't see any benefit in a bird's eye satellite view while on the ground using turn by turn. Navigon and Mapquest are just fine and at getting me where I need to go. However I do love using Google maps for street view for a point of reference or just to explore. For that reason alone I do hope Google maps is available in the app store or Cydia when iOS6 is released.

preguntonontrac
Aug 6, 2012, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the "directions pictures" i rarely use gps but decided to try it in the S3 wow it really looks good.

Sensamic
Aug 6, 2012, 04:21 PM
So what the hell is going on with the iOS youtube app????

Syk
Aug 6, 2012, 04:59 PM

Apple removed it from the stock OS and google will make the app for iOS.
I don't have a problem with it and the app will probably be better now.

I also think it's good because it's one less stock app that you can't get rid.

batting1000
Aug 6, 2012, 05:41 PM

Apple's license to use the app on their iOS devices ended and I guess they can't and / or don't want to renew it (not sure if it's possible to do so or not) so they removed it from the latest beta. So, Google will be creating a Youtube app and will release it on the App Store.

kdarling
Aug 6, 2012, 05:56 PM
The best part about YouTube not being part of the OS, is that it can get updated far more often.

That is, if Apple (and AT&T) allows it.

cynics
Aug 6, 2012, 06:13 PM

Sorry, by 3D I meant driving view. As in you can see the horizon vs a directly overhead aerial view.

Dontazemebro
Aug 6, 2012, 06:45 PM
I used my navigsation today for the first time since early July. Was going to a store and just forgot which direction i needed to go off the freeway(North or South) to get there so i just put in the name of it and wow.....i didnt see this before but the maps are friggin awesome looking now. Much better than ever before.

I cant imagine iOS6 having their Maps look like this when the new iPhone comes out.

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-03.png)

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-11.png)

Image (http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/Boltjolt/Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-57.png)

Do you normally go to stores 22hrs away from you. :)

Vegastouch
Aug 6, 2012, 10:45 PM
Do you normally go to stores 22hrs away from you. :)

LOL, ....NO! I typed in the store and touched the first location that came up thinking it was in town. I never typed in Las Vegas :D

Mac.World
Aug 6, 2012, 11:00 PM
The best part about YouTube not being part of the OS, is that it can get updated far more often.

That is, if Apple (and AT&T) allows it.

AT&T has nothing to do with 3rd party apps. Why would you mention them.

kdarling
Aug 7, 2012, 06:40 AM
AT&T has nothing to do with 3rd party apps. Why would you mention them.

AT&T has always had a lot of influence over Apple's media related app selection, from the original WiFi-only Skype to delaying the Google Voice app, to WiFi-only Facetime. They also got Apple to show "4G" for HSPA+.

Apple has publicly stated that they listen to AT&T's suggestions over bandwidth intensive apps. Apple also told the FCC in 2009 that their contract with AT&T kept them from allowing VoIP and TV redirection:

“There is a provision in Apple’s agreement with AT&T that obligates Apple not to include functionality in any Apple phone that enables a customer to use AT&T’s cellular network service to originate or terminate a VoIP session without obtaining AT&T’s permission. Apple honors this obligation, in addition to respecting AT&T’s customer Terms of Service, which, for example, prohibit an AT&T customer from using AT&T’s cellular service to redirect a TV signal to an iPhone.” - Apple

Syk
Aug 7, 2012, 08:01 AM
AT&T has always had a lot of influence over Apple's media related app selection, from the original WiFi-only Skype to delaying the Google Voice app, to WiFi-only Facetime. They also got Apple to show "4G" for HSPA+.

Apple has publicly stated that they listen to AT&T's suggestions over bandwidth intensive apps. Apple also told the FCC in 2009 that their contract with AT&T kept them from allowing VoIP and TV redirection:

ďThere is a provision in Appleís agreement with AT&T that obligates Apple not to include functionality in any Apple phone that enables a customer to use AT&Tís cellular network service to originate or terminate a VoIP session without obtaining AT&Tís permission. Apple honors this obligation, in addition to respecting AT&Tís customer Terms of Service, which, for example, prohibit an AT&T customer from using AT&Tís cellular service to redirect a TV signal to an iPhone.Ē - Apple

That's true but there's already a youtube app on the iPhone so I can't really see AT&T saying no to a youtube app especially with all the Andriod based phones they sell.

kdarling
Aug 7, 2012, 08:42 AM
That's true but there's already a youtube app on the iPhone so I can't really see AT&T saying no to a youtube app especially with all the Andriod based phones they sell.

AT&T could specify limits, for example that HD quality isn't allowed except over WiFi.

(Has that particular limit been dropped in the last two years?)

Syk
Aug 7, 2012, 08:53 AM
AT&T could specify limits, for example that HD quality isn't allowed except over WiFi.

(Has that particular limit been dropped in the last two years?)

I don't use the youtube app all that often. Does it block HD video on the current one? I was saying I don't see AT&T saying no youtube app from google not what restrictions may or may not be imposed.

DiamondGCoupe
Aug 15, 2012, 12:59 AM
iTried the S3 today, really loved the Widgets/customization options, just being able to add a little widget to quickly adjust the screen brightness made my life a little easier today.

BUT, I can't get over the screen resolution coming from the 4S and having an iPad3. Additionally, the camera quality is TERRIBBBLE. One thing I appreciate with my 4S is being able to take a great pic, touch it up with an app and post it. I couldn't even get the S3 to focus properly on an overhead light in my apartment.

Taking it back tomorrow, hoping the new iPhone is slightly bigger and maybe some customization options:confused::confused:

Lastly, I got AT&T to give me a $36 credit on my bill before I even went to the store to buy phone towards activation fee and a $35 credit to cover the restocking fee! All you have to do it ask!

Mac.World
Aug 15, 2012, 03:15 AM
iTried the S3 today, really loved the Widgets/customization options, just being able to add a little widget to quickly adjust the screen brightness made my life a little easier today.

BUT, I can't get over the screen resolution coming from the 4S and having an iPad3. Additionally, the camera quality is TERRIBBBLE. One thing I appreciate with my 4S is being able to take a great pic, touch it up with an app and post it. I couldn't even get the S3 to focus properly on an overhead light in my apartment.

Taking it back tomorrow, hoping the new iPhone is slightly bigger and maybe some customization options:confused::confused:

Lastly, I got AT&T to give me a $36 credit on my bill before I even went to the store to buy phone towards activation fee and a $35 credit to cover the restocking fee! All you have to do it ask!

I seriously wish we would stop seeing these sort of posts. The S3 is not a dumb camera on a smartphone like with the iphone. The S3 has a smart camera, on a smartphone and it needs a smart operator. The camera quality is actually better than the phones, but only if the property settings are used. If you aren't willing to set up what kind of shot you want, then expect bad pics. If you need to get a decent shot quickly, change to a 20 burst mode and pick best picture. "

Calidude
Aug 15, 2012, 03:33 AM
iTaking it back tomorrow, hoping the new iPhone is slightly bigger and maybe some customization options:confused::confused:
Boy are you going to be disappointed...

soulreaver99
Aug 15, 2012, 03:47 AM

Disagree with your comment on the camera. Aside from the larger screen, that is the second most obvious advantage the Galaxy S3 has over the iPhone 4S. You either have a defective device, don't know how to use the camera settings, or are fabricating your experience. If you want to see my personal examples of the S3 camera, they are all over the food thread in the Photo Gallery forum.

sentinelsx
Aug 15, 2012, 05:51 AM

Er terrible? The camera is actually the only thing i LOVE about this phone. My point and shoot is weeping in the corner. May be you are not focusing correctly or have a bad batch?

However phone cameras have a long way to go before matching my DSLR :) May be pureview will bridge that faster.

Doggman
Aug 16, 2012, 11:41 AM
I think that's if you're on a contact, say texting, you can just lift the receiver & it just calls. It's just too much work to scroll to the top & press call.

Okay I only read the first page of this thread so I apologize in advance but I had to reply to this...

You do know that you can click the Time at the top of the screen and it auto scrolls to the top of ANYTHING (messages, emails, web pages, etc) on the iPhone. Thus making it two clicks away from calling someone while texting...

I found out recently that my friend (6 month+ owner of his first iPhone ever in the 4S flavor) did not know about this feature... He was quite happy when I told him about it...

Disclaimer: I am not saying the iPhone is better or worse. I have no opinion on Android vs iOS because I've never owned or used an Android device (one is being shipped to me as we speak tho :D)

P.S. - sorry if someone already brought this up.. didnt want to read 10+ pages just to respond to this post

EDIT: damn 10+ was a little off... turns out its 47 ha

dan.1986
Aug 20, 2012, 05:03 PM
I currently own and use both phones.

Decided to do a very quick point and shoot camera comparison. It's nothing professional just a little reference.

Personally to me they both offer very similar results.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jx96y4u1hluqr5q/RYmaNlI8zn/iPhone%204S%20%26%20Galaxy%20S3%20-%20Quick%20Camera%20Comparison