PDA

View Full Version : [phones] iPhone 4S vs Galaxy S3

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

AppleTB
May 14, 2012, 07:44 AM
Hi Guys and Girls,

I am after some advice as to features that are on the new Galaxy S3 and what the alternative is on :apple: iPhone 4S...

S-Talk = Siri
Direct Call =
Smart Stay =
Smart Alert =
Social Tag =
S Beam =
All Share Play =
Buddy Photo Share =

If there isn't a direct alternative a similar alternative would be ok!! :)

GoCubsGo
May 14, 2012, 07:46 AM
There are numerous comparisons found on google:
https://www.google.com/search?ix=aca&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=iPhone+4S+vs+Galaxy+S3

S Beam though, I don't think that has a very direct or even in direct alternative.

DanBurns91
May 14, 2012, 11:25 AM
There are numerous comparisons found on google:
https://www.google.com/search?ix=aca&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=iPhone+4S+vs+Galaxy+S3

S Beam though, I don't think that has a very direct or even in direct alternative.

The bump application maybe?

mrsir2009
May 14, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hi Guys and Girls,

I am after some advice as to features that are on the new Galaxy S3 and what the alternative is on :apple: iPhone 4S...

S-Talk = Siri
Direct Call =
Smart Stay =
Smart Alert =
Social Tag =
S Beam =
All Share Play =
Buddy Photo Share =

Direct call? Is that just, like, a normal phone call?

jcanewebber
Jun 16, 2012, 11:14 PM
Hi, First of all i think both phones have its own speciality, i love iPhones but i also love smart phones that can play Flash[swf]. I think s3 is more useful than 4s right now because android market offers alot of application which an iphone 4s has. when it comes to its hardware i can never compare since both of it are really reliable.

here are some informations and comparison i found on the internet.

Samsung Galaxy S3 compared to iPhone | Techyv.com (http://www.techyv.com/questions/samsung-galaxy-s3-compared-iphone)

monkeylui
Jun 16, 2012, 11:21 PM
I'll be upgrading from iPhone 4S to the Galaxy S 3. I want a bigger phone already.

monkeylui
Jun 16, 2012, 11:23 PM
Direct call? Is that just, like, a normal phone call?

I think that's if you're on a contact, say texting, you can just lift the receiver & it just calls. It's just too much work to scroll to the top & press call.

onthecouchagain
Jun 17, 2012, 12:38 AM
I think that's if you're on a contact, say texting, you can just lift the receiver & it just calls. It's just too much work to scroll to the top & press call.

But if Apple introduced this feature, it'd be the smartest greatest thing, maybe? Or would people also call it an unnecessary convenience?

AbyssImpact
Jun 17, 2012, 01:29 AM
But if Apple introduced this feature, it'd be the smartest greatest thing, maybe? Or would people also call it an unnecessary convenience?

Shut up. Whatever Apple does = justified. Who could argue, it is Apple after all. The 2nd biggest company in the world.

mbell1975
Jun 17, 2012, 01:38 AM

We all know Apple doesn't introduce any "new" features anymore. They just take all of Android's features, rename them and then try to pass them off as new. I am sure it will be added to ios7 (since Apple is always years behind current tech) but it will be called Face Calling.

Technarchy
Jun 17, 2012, 03:32 AM

Dont need to do that, but you can.

Enable lift to talk in Siri and just tell Siri to call the person after you bring the handset up.

I've been doing that since day one with my i4S

monkeylui
Jun 17, 2012, 06:53 AM

Who cares. Only android fanboys say that about apple products. Lol.

monkeylui
Jun 17, 2012, 06:55 AM
We all know Apple doesn't introduce any "new" features anymore. They just take all of Android's features, rename them and then try to pass them off as new. I am sure it will be added to ios7 (since Apple is always years behind current tech) but it will be called Face Calling.

Oh get over it. Seriously who cares. Android isn't a ground breaking innovator either.

My favorite analogy, it's like others cars after ford put in a handle also. Boo frickin hoo.

outz
Jun 17, 2012, 08:50 AM
im definitely interested in trying out the s3, it looks like a sweet device. i bought a nexus directly from google a while back, but returned... the wifi was horrible. i hope the s3 will at least be on par with my 4s's wifi.

onthecouchagain
Jun 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
Who cares. Only android fanboys say that about apple products. Lol.

I don't see any denial of the double standard placed on Apple products versus the competition.

You just don't see that sort of behavior with Android fans as frequently or fervently as you do with Apple fans. Not necessarily only you, Monkeylui, but you see it all the time from others: If Apple copies the competition, they're "just adopting industry standards." But if someone else copies Apple, they're copycats and can't innovate.

The Galaxy SIII is the perfect example of this. All everyone could talk about was how S-Voice is Siri, and it is, but everyone failed to notice Smart Stay, direct-dial, or wireless charging, or pop-up play, or tilt-to-scroll, etc. -- all of which are novel for smartphones or at the very least not copied from Apple. If Apple had introduced these features first, we'd all be in an uproar over how Apple is pushing the frontiers again. But not Samsung?

I find Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings, than iOS users tend to be about iOS' shortcomings. I shudder every time someone utters "it just works." You just don't get this sort of intellectual dishonesty as often or as fervently with Android users.

cynics
Jun 17, 2012, 09:41 AM
I find Android users are far more honest about Android's shortcomings, than iOS users tend to be about iOS' shortcomings. I shudder every time someone utters "it just works." You just don't get this sort of intellectual dishonesty as often or as fervently with Android users.

I think a lot of this is because a lot of Android fans are phone specific. Like someone will like HTC phones and not have problem saying a Samsung phone is a flimsy piece of junk (that's just an example).

On Android central you rarely see people talking about the iPhone because they will argue to more direct competition which is another Android device. If you already like Android and you are debating between the One X and SIII what is the puny iPhone going to being to the tablet?

Hence why you don't see anywhere near as many iPhone threads on Android forums.

Technarchy
Jun 17, 2012, 09:54 AM
Hence why you don't see anywhere near as many iPhone threads on Android forums.

Apple users generally don't live to troll android forums because they don't care.

Android users are generally insecure and it chaps their rump that most Apple customers are content with their purchase and simply do not care about android.

The android community cares far more about Apple and what Apple consumers think than vice versa.

chiefpavvy
Jun 17, 2012, 11:12 AM
Apple users generally don't live to troll android forums because they don't care.

Android users are generally insecure and it chaps their rump that most Apple customers are content with their purchase and simply do not care about android.

The android community cares far more about Apple and what Apple consumers think than vice versa.

Ding Ding Ding!

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

0m3ga
Jun 17, 2012, 11:29 AM

It's pretty funny that you say this. Reading these threads, the only insecurity I see are iPhone users trying to justify how great the 4s is. When the facts are show the iphone 4S is slower, lacking in features and that the ICS OS is smoother than iOS, the last things we hear from the Apple fans is, "Well, my iphone has better resale value" or "Yeah, but my screen is retina" or finally "iOS developrs get paid more".

I enjoy reading it all, even if it does make me pity you, at least I get a good chuckle in.

ThatsMeRight
Jun 17, 2012, 11:43 AM

It wouldn't be. I find Siri to be really useless. I like Direct Call.

Cingular
Jun 17, 2012, 11:46 AM
It's pretty funny that you say this. Reading these threads, the only insecurity I see are iPhone users trying to justify how great the 4s is. When the facts are show the iphone 4S is slower, lacking in features and that the ICS OS is smoother than iOS, the last things we hear from the Apple fans is, "Well, my iphone has better resale value" or "Yeah, but my screen is retina" or finally "iOS developrs get paid more".

I enjoy reading it all, even if it does make me pity you, at least I get a good chuckle in.

:rolleyes:

SR45
Jun 17, 2012, 11:50 AM
Ding Ding Ding!

Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

Ditto...

For me, I prefer the iPhone over androids, but that is just me. Care-less about which one is so called better as long as I'm happy with my choice, and wish the android community would just give it a break because their ranting will not change my mind. I look at the product, and how it works in my daily needs and go from there as to which one I prefer

sk1wbw
Jun 17, 2012, 11:57 AM

The feature is already there. If you are chatting via messages, you can scroll all the way to the top of the chat and the button is there to call the person you are messaging.

Savor
Jun 17, 2012, 10:55 PM
My favorite analogy, it's like others cars after ford put in a handle also. Boo frickin hoo. My favorite is what Bill Gates said to Steve Jobs once - "Steve, all cars have steering wheels, but no one tries to claim that the steering wheel was their invention."

SJ was the most INSECURE Apple fanboy of all when it came against Android.

If you are fanboy, it cuts both ways. Just internet trolls on both sides debating over a frickin' cell phone that gets replaced every few years. Nobody is going change anyone's minds and why bother, right? Android are talking crap about other Android phones and the iPhony. The iPhone fans are talking crap about Android's fragmentation, lag, or whatever sounds like a broken record debate. Yadda, yadda, yadda. Then the fluff and reassurance threads I see praising their current phones like they were patting themselves on the back for it. Gosh, I love my iPhone! Yipee! Messageboards represents very little of the actual consumers out there. They are not as vocal or as OCD in real life than the crap we read on the net.

FrankHahn
Jun 17, 2012, 11:34 PM
I think that the existence of several mobile operating systems (iOS, Android, Windows Phone, etc) is good to all the operating systems. They can learn from one another and they can push one another for development.

Which mobile phone to use is up to the person that uses the phone. Some may demand the state-of-art hardware, some may demand the best user experience, some may demand the best build quality, some may demand a huge number of features, and so on.

monkeylui
Jun 18, 2012, 06:06 AM
The feature is already there. If you are chatting via messages, you can scroll all the way to the top of the chat and the button is there to call the person you are messaging.

Yeah that's what I said. But with Android you don't have to do that, just lift & it dials.

Krandor
Jun 18, 2012, 06:39 AM
Not true. There are numerous threads on this site all the time about things people would like to see in iOS that are not there. Android users on the other hand STILL complain about "swipe down" being "stolen" from Android.

But honestly, both sides have users like that. Apple does have users who always think whatever Apple does in great and Android has users who just love to attack anything Apple does. Works both ways. In fact, the number of Android users who keep insisting on joining an Apple site just to tell Apple users how much better the Android OS is, is getting quite annoying.

----------

[QUOTE=monkeylui;15068725]Yeah that's what I said. But with Android you don't have to do that, just lift & it dials.

Is that every Android device or just the SGS3?

ChazUK
Jun 18, 2012, 07:09 AM

It's a custom feature Samsung have added to their software so it's S3 exclusive for now and not a feature of Android as a platform.

monkeylui
Jun 18, 2012, 09:20 AM
It's a custom feature Samsung have added to their software so it's S3 exclusive for now and not a feature of Android as a platform.

Yup. Thanks for answering.

monkeylui
Jun 18, 2012, 09:21 AM
Not true. There are numerous threads on this site all the time about things people would like to see in iOS that are not there. Android users on the other hand STILL complain about "swipe down" being "stolen" from Android.

But honestly, both sides have users like that. Apple does have users who always think whatever Apple does in great and Android has users who just love to attack anything Apple does. Works both ways. In fact, the number of Android users who keep insisting on joining an Apple site just to tell Apple users how much better the Android OS is, is getting quite annoying.

----------

Yup. I agree. As a user of both I love both. I enjoy technology. I don't care about the back & forth bickering. They both work and essentially do the same thing.

Harpoon Spoon
Jun 18, 2012, 03:33 PM
I've been an iPhone user since the launch of the 3g and I just purchased the Galaxy S3 yesterday. It's about that time for change and I found the features of iOS6 underwhelming.

I'm not saying that I'll be gone forever but for right now the iPhone isn't cutting it for me.

Frankied22
Jun 18, 2012, 03:34 PM
I've been an iPhone user since the launch of the 3g and I just purchased the Galaxy S3 yesterday. It's about that time for change and I found the features of iOS6 underwhelming.

I'm not saying that I'll be gone forever but for right now the iPhone isn't cutting it for me.

How do you find multitasking on the SIII? Is it just as good as the iPhone? Also, how is battery life?

Big.Mac.Daddy
Jun 18, 2012, 03:36 PM

The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side right?

Harpoon Spoon
Jun 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
How do you find multitasking on the SIII? Is it just as good as the iPhone? Also, how is battery life?

Pre-order it comes in on Thursday.

It's exactly like multi-tasking and the task bar on the Asus Transformer Prime, it's awesome.

As far as the battery life goes from what I've read from the UK users it's gotten great reviews. According to the power users they were able to use the phone a whole day and still have juice until the very end of the night. I hope I have the same results.

cr0fty
Jun 18, 2012, 03:47 PM
Android users on the other hand STILL complain about "swipe down" being "stolen" from Android.

If you mean the "pull to refresh" option, I thought it was first implemented by twitter?

Harpoon Spoon
Jun 18, 2012, 03:49 PM
The grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side right?

It would be unfair to say greener but it's certainly different.

Frankied22
Jun 18, 2012, 03:54 PM
If you mean the "pull to refresh" option, I thought it was first implemented by twitter?

I think he was referring to swiping down from the top to get notifications.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 18, 2012, 03:58 PM

How are iPhone users insecure in an iPhone thread? What does any iPhone user need to justify in an iPhone forum? If you love Android so freaking much, why you stay in the iPhone forums? Makes no damn sense.

0m3ga
Jun 18, 2012, 04:12 PM
How are iPhone users insecure in an iPhone thread? What does any iPhone user need to justify in an iPhone forum? If you love Android so freaking much, why you stay in the iPhone forums? Makes no damn sense.

Think about it. Use every bit of your brain power. It's probably going to be difficult for you to grasp the simplicity of the answer, but keep trying.

YOADS
UAUMS
REBA:D

Dunbar
Jun 18, 2012, 04:40 PM
I just pre-ordered an SIII on Verizon (currently using an IP4 on AT&T.) Normally I'd wait until it was released to try one in-store first. But with the mandatory shared data plans coming on 6/28 I wanted to grandfather the current plan pricing. I'm on an individual line and the shared data plan would cost me $20/mo. extra for exactly the same data.

YsoSerious
Jun 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
Man, that SIII looks so tempting to me. If Apple didn't have me by the balls with their ecosystem, I would jump on the SIII.

YsoSerious
Jun 19, 2012, 10:21 AM
double post..my bad

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 19, 2012, 11:25 AM

Android didn't create any features. Android is just shoving any and everything out that already exists to keep it's wow factor alive. Same goes for manufactures like Samsung & HTC who shove big number specs to impress. What happens when they hit their peak and exhaust any possible wow factors? You can only add so many features and make the screen only so big.

This is like the Tortoise & Rabbit race, and we all know who wins in the end. ;)

Exio
Jun 19, 2012, 11:42 AM
Android didn't create any features. Android is just shoving any and everything out that already exists to keep it's wow factor alive. Same goes for manufactures like Samsung & HTC who shove big number specs to impress. What happens when they hit their peak and exhaust any possible wow factors? You can only add so many features and make the screen only so big.

This is like the Tortoise & Rabbit race, and we all know who wins in the end. ;)

This is a joke correct? If not you are a very ignorant apple follower. Apple is the one who delivers old technology and touts it as new. For example, usb 3.0 on their mac lineup, took them how many years to finally update? Also Samsung has invested way more in R&D across the board than Apple has, apple finds one new noteworthy thing every year, adds it and "creates sliced bread" again. It's technologically retarded people like you that created this business model for apple, and will continue it.

Technarchy
Jun 19, 2012, 11:55 AM

Makes you wonder where the big screen wars are headed in 2013 when all these flaghship android phones try to create a selling point over 2012 models.

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 12:40 PM
The bump application maybe?

It's not quite the same. Bump has to be running for transfers to work, but with S-Beam you just hold the two phones to the back of each other no matter what application you're in, and it should work.

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 12:59 PM

Android communities hardly ever discuss the iPhone, but there are loads of threads made on these forums about Android.

If anyone felt insecure, surely it would make more sense to post on an Android forum with other like minded people about why the iPhone sucks... but no, that doesn't seem to happen.

I think Android forums are more focused on Android because Android attracts enthusiasts moreso than iOS does. You can do more with an Android device; it's more complex, ergo people have more to discuss.

For example, a lot of Android forums have a "post your home screen" style thread. On Android this sees wildly different configurations and people give each other tips about what widgets they use etc.. on the iPhone, the only thing that's going to be different is the order of the apps and the wallpaper.

----------

Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

Android - pull down notification bar.
Samsung - smart stay, direct call, some of the gestures in the S3 are new (eg tilt to scroll).

These are new features that Android and Samsung created?

----------

Makes you wonder where the big screen wars are headed in 2013 when all these flaghship android phones try to create a selling point over 2012 models.

4.8" is the max for me I think.. can't reach the top left corner of my phone without struggling when using it with one hand.

I don't think phones will get much bigger now anyway.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 19, 2012, 01:28 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but:

Android - pull down notification bar.
Samsung - smart stay, direct call, some of the gestures in the S3 are new (eg tilt to scroll).

These are new features that Android and Samsung created?

They are differ ways of implementing something that already existed. Think WebOS when it comes to notification bar. And gestures are basically just mapping.

Not to take anything away from good innovation. Just hate when people play the who copied who game.

This is a joke correct? If not you are a very ignorant apple follower. Apple is the one who delivers old technology and touts it as new. For example, usb 3.0 on their mac lineup, took them how many years to finally update? Also Samsung has invested way more in R&D across the board than Apple has, apple finds one new noteworthy thing every year, adds it and "creates sliced bread" again. It's technologically retarded people like you that created this business model for apple, and will continue it.

What the hell are you talking about? Has nothing to do with my post. Stop being a freaking dick and insulting everyone who doesn't bow down to the almighty Android. Your little rant has hate written all over it. :rolleyes:

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 01:36 PM
They are differ ways of implementing something that already existed. Think WebOS when it comes to notification bar. And gestures are basically just mapping.

Not to take anything away from good innovation. Just hate when people play the who copied who game.

The WebOS implementation is different from what I can gather. It has a pane similar to Android's, where icons representing each notification are shown in a line, but you have to tap on each notification to see what it is. There doesn't appear to be a way to see all notifications in a list, which Android and iOS both support. This is just what I can find on Google; I haven't actually used WebOS.

What about Smart Stay; I haven't seen that before. Nor have I seen direct call.

You only picked the parts of my post that kinda existed already :p

Android Beam is another first for Android.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 19, 2012, 01:52 PM
The WebOS implementation is different from what I can gather. It has a pane similar to Android's, where icons representing each notification are shown in a line, but you have to tap on each notification to see what it is. There doesn't appear to be a way to see all notifications in a list, which Android and iOS both support. This is just what I can find on Google; I haven't actually used WebOS.

What about Smart Stay; I haven't seen that before. Nor have I seen direct call.

You only picked the parts of my post that kinda existed already :p

Android Beam is another first for Android.

Smart stay is pretty old tech. It's just new on any mobile OS.

Nothing new about Android Beam. It just uses NFC instead of Bluetooth, IR, and etc.

For the moment it all about innovation on already existing tech. Funny how some of you think it just been invented.

Nice try though. ;)

blairh
Jun 19, 2012, 01:53 PM
The SIII delay in the States is so annoying. I just want to see that screen in person and hold the phone to see if I can use it one-handed.

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 02:14 PM

Well yeah... multitouch has been around on other stuff way longer than it has on the iPhone, but nobody said that Apple didn't innovate.

Nothing new about Android Beam. It just uses NFC instead of Bluetooth, IR, and etc.

"Nothing new about Android Beam."

...then...

"It just uses NFC instead of Bluetooth, IR, and etc."

Oh, so it is new, then?

Wow.

For the moment it all about innovation on already existing tech. Funny how some of you think it just been invented.

Nice try though. ;)

It HAS just been invented - in smartphones.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 19, 2012, 02:49 PM
Your reaching for the stars :rolleyes:

Believe as you want.

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 02:54 PM
I don't have a decent response so I'm going to post some random tosh.

Fixed that for you.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 19, 2012, 03:57 PM
I must responding to an eight year old. :rolleyes:

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 04:03 PM
I must responding to an eight year old. :rolleyes:

You're the one that started posting like an idiot with your "nice try though ;)" comment. I was being perfectly respectful until then. :)

mbell1975
Jun 19, 2012, 04:05 PM

Nice try though. ;)

This is priceless coming from an Apple fanboy, many of whom think Apple invented the MP3, tablet computer and speech recognition apps like Siri.

wrkactjob
Jun 19, 2012, 04:27 PM
Picked up an S3 the other day, felt like a large childs toy, really I was looking for the Fisher Price tag.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/tonguita/fisher-price-smilin-smart-phone.jpg

Futhark
Jun 19, 2012, 04:33 PM
Picked up an S3 the other day, felt like a large childs toy, really I was looking for the Fisher Price tag.

Image (http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/tonguita/fisher-price-smilin-smart-phone.jpg)

Hehehe :D love the pic !!!

Fireblade
Jun 19, 2012, 04:49 PM

Image (http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh86/tonguita/fisher-price-smilin-smart-phone.jpg)

The homescreen looks boring, more like an iPhone :D

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 04:52 PM

I wonder if he realised the irony of his post? :D

mbell1975
Jun 19, 2012, 04:53 PM

nah, that thing probably has way more features than the iPhone. Probably has 4G too

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 19, 2012, 05:31 PM
This is priceless coming from an Apple fanboy, many of whom think Apple invented the MP3, tablet computer and speech recognition apps like Siri.

Wow, that was so original. :eek:

Almost as original as an Apple hater.

I'm starting to think you and matttye are the same person. How many other accounts you got? :rolleyes:

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
Wow, that was so original. :eek:

Almost as original as an Apple hater.

I'm starting to think you and matttye are the same person. How many other accounts you got? :rolleyes:

I'm not an Apple hater. :rolleyes:

I don't have to worship every feature on their devices and not like any other devices to like Apple products.. the fact that you can't see that is disturbing.

LIVEFRMNYC
Jun 19, 2012, 05:44 PM
I'm not an Apple hater. :rolleyes:

I don't have to worship every feature on their devices and not like any other devices to like Apple products.. the fact that you can't see that is disturbing.

You can come out the closet now. We all know you have a huge crush on Apple. Why else would you post so much? :apple:

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 05:50 PM
You can come out the closet now. We all know you have a huge crush on Apple. Why else would you post so much? :apple:

It's a love/hate relationship :p

mbell1975
Jun 19, 2012, 06:06 PM
I dont hate Apple either as I have an iPad, MBP, ATV and two iMacs (20 and 27 inch) I just think Android is vastly superior to iOS, so I have an Android phone. I use iOS every day on my iPad which is just fine for a tablet, not so much for a phone IMO.

matttye
Jun 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
I dont hate Apple either as I have an iPad, MBP, ATV and two iMacs (20 and 27 inch) I just think Android is vastly superior to iOS, so I have an Android phone. I use iOS every day on my iPad which is just fine for a tablet, not so much for a phone IMO.

Same boat. Love it on a tablet, but not on a phone.

Disclaimer: we're not the same people. I only own one Apple device; my iPad! (unless you count the wireless keyboard and rechargeable batteries).

nfl46
Jun 19, 2012, 11:16 PM
Ugh. So tempted to get the S3. I may try it for 30 days and return it. The only thing stopping me from keeping it is, I know for certain I would want the new iPhone in 4 months.

Frankied22
Jun 19, 2012, 11:41 PM
Ugh. So tempted to get the S3. I may try it for 30 days and return it. The only thing stopping me from keeping it is, I know for certain I would want the new iPhone in 4 months.

Same here.

onthecouchagain
Jun 20, 2012, 12:10 AM
The pebble blue is starting to look quite beautiful:

http://www.droid-life.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/galaxy-s3-blue4.jpg

Reviews are up all over the place. I grabbed that pic from DroidLife's review: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/06/19/samsung-galaxy-s3-review/

I'm happy for Samsung and for Android, but in my personal opinion, I'd wait for the next gen iPhone before I commit. TouchWiz has some great new ideas, but the overall experience on it bugs me. I think DroidLife highlights some of the frustrations of it very well.

mackinmike
Jun 20, 2012, 12:18 AM

so true... it's too funny. can you say hypocrite?

----------

Nice try though. ;)

and if Apple came out with it, you will then say it's revolutionary? SMH

212rikanmofo
Jun 20, 2012, 12:26 AM
What's the deal with all these Android people coming here in the masses lately defending their devices like we give a damn? Like seriously, what's the point? It's getting annoying. Bragging about this and that, how it has more features, blah, blah. Enough with this childish nonsense. Just remember you're on an Apple-centric forum. Obviously most people here will be for Apple and I know a lot of loyal Apple users out there. Fanboys or what not, it doesn't matter. I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time by joining Android forums and start trolling about why my phone is so much better. I swear some of you need to grow up. Let people like what they like and stop trying to brainwash others into why your device is more superior, cause seriously we do not care. Sound like a bunch of prissy ass women who always feel like they need the last word and to prove someone else wrong just to hide their insecurities. I dislike Android but do you see me trolling about it and bragging by joining Android forums and talking down about their devices?

CoachStall
Jun 20, 2012, 12:44 AM
neck and neck in here!

chrf097
Jun 20, 2012, 12:52 AM
The phones aren't comparable. They're on two different levels.

----------

Hi Guys and Girls,

S-Talk = Siri
Direct Call = Siri
Smart Stay = If you're looking at the phone you're using it so...
Smart Alert = Apps. Also, been on many phones before the GS3.
Social Tag =iOS 6 utilizes Photos.app "Faces"
S Beam = ---
All Share Play = Apps
Buddy Photo Share = --- (That would get super annoying)

There.

depths
Jun 20, 2012, 12:57 AM
I'd guess that a lot of people who own android phones also own Apple products and that's why they're on mac rumors, not to cause trouble. It's difficult to read rediculous posts about Android that you know to be false and not reply.

IPhones and upper tier Androids are both great products. I'd happily own an iPhone if it suited my needs better than my Galaxy Nexus.

mbell1975
Jun 20, 2012, 02:39 AM
What's the deal with all these Android people coming here in the masses lately defending their devices like we give a damn? Like seriously, what's the point? It's getting annoying. Bragging about this and that, how it has more features, blah, blah. Enough with this childish nonsense. Just remember you're on an Apple-centric forum. Obviously most people here will be for Apple and I know a lot of loyal Apple users out there. Fanboys or what not, it doesn't matter. I sure as hell wouldn't waste my time by joining Android forums and start trolling about why my phone is so much better. I swear some of you need to grow up. Let people like what they like and stop trying to brainwash others into why your device is more superior, cause seriously we do not care. Sound like a bunch of prissy ass women who always feel like they need the last word and to prove someone else wrong just to hide their insecurities. I dislike Android but do you see me trolling about it and bragging by joining Android forums and talking down about their devices?

Look at the join date of most of the "Android people" and you will see most have been here for years.

moiseskline
Jun 20, 2012, 04:00 AM
As mobile is concerned I like Galaxy S III more than iPhone but it is way to expensive. I would rather go for HTC One X than iPhone 5 and Galaxy S III

Ayemerica
Jun 20, 2012, 07:27 AM
Touchwhiz is awful. I'll stick with iOS, sg3 is a good phone but it is not enough to get me out of the iOS eco system.

emacna1
Jun 20, 2012, 07:37 AM
Touchwhiz is awful. I'll stick with iOS, sg3 is a good phone but it is not enough to get me out of the iOS eco system.

Touchwiz has actually improved immensely. You should try out the latest version before bashing it.

nfl46
Jun 20, 2012, 08:07 AM

There are always roms (soon) or apps to hide the interface. I don't care much for TW as well.

Certinfy
Jun 20, 2012, 08:16 AM
Got an SGS3 coming tomorrow. Will play around with it for a bit, thought it was the perfect time considering Wimbledon is coming up and my 4S' battery won't last the whole day there so will use both of them there and see which one I prefer. :)

Really excited!

Frankied22
Jun 20, 2012, 09:21 AM
Got an SGS3 coming tomorrow. Will play around with it for a bit, thought it was the perfect time considering Wimbledon is coming up and my 4S' battery won't last the whole day there so will use both of them there and see which one I prefer. :)

Really excited!

Please report back and let us know what you think!

Sdahe
Jun 20, 2012, 09:56 AM
This Galaxy S3 is really tempting me....

onthecouchagain
Jun 20, 2012, 10:16 AM

There's definitely an influx, and I won't speak for all the "Android fans," but for myself, I was an iPhone 4 and 4S owner, and now am a Galaxy Nexus owner. I bounce between Android/iPhone forums because although I'm a happy GN user, the iPhone and iOS are never far from my radar (Apple in general is always on my radar. I own an iPad and Macs at home). Both platforms are still relevant to me and my decisions on a future device.

I'm sure there are trollers here purely to troll, but not everyone who is interested in discussing Android devices is a troll. As top dog, the iPhone's competition is a very relevant conversation to have in an iPhone forum, especially an open iPhone forum.

Also, it's pretty simple to not click a thread you're not interested in.

Look at the join date of most of the "Android people" and you will see most have been here for years.

Great point, too.

nfl46
Jun 20, 2012, 10:37 AM
Anyone knows if AT&T still does that early upgrade option? You know, getting the iPhone for $199 iPhone for $399?

Ayemerica
Jun 20, 2012, 06:32 PM
The SG3 is a very tempting phone. The Gnex tempted me as well. I was let down. ICS was way over hyped for me. I know in a year or so i'll be pretty much forced to Android since iOS is a snail when it comes to adaptation of the features I need.

lordofthereef
Jun 20, 2012, 06:53 PM
Also, it's pretty simple to not click a thread you're not interested in.

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

We need a sticky with instructions on how to do this. What comes second nature to you does not to most! :cool:

Sensamic
Jun 20, 2012, 08:25 PM
Today I tried the SGS3 quad core and it convinced me of buying one next week. My iPhone 4 now seems a bit outdated, specially screen and keyboard.

The phone is also 150 cheaper than a 4S (and the 5 when it comes out). So in the end I will be buying it for 290 after selling my iPhone 4. I see that as an awesome price for such a high end phone.

The text to speech ICS feature was amazing in a crowded room. I cannot go back to the iPhone 4 now that I tried that, and wont buy the 4S or 5 because screen is also too small, plus the SGS3 was really thin. I prefer a thin device over a more robust one like the iPhone.

That screen for Youtube videos and Google Maps was priceless.

Frankied22
Jun 20, 2012, 08:54 PM
Today I tried the SGS3 quad core and it convinced me of buying one next week. My iPhone 4 now seems a bit outdated, specially screen and keyboard.

The phone is also 150 cheaper than a 4S (and the 5 when it comes out). So in the end I will be buying it for 290 after selling my iPhone 4. I see that as an awesome price for such a high end phone.

The text to speech ICS feature was amazing in a crowded room. I cannot go back to the iPhone 4 now that I tried that, and wont buy the 4S or 5 because screen is also too small, plus the SGS3 was really thin. I prefer a thin device over a more robust one like the iPhone.

That screen for Youtube videos and Google Maps was priceless.

This post almost sounds like a Samsung bot posted it for marketing lol.

mbell1975
Jun 20, 2012, 08:59 PM

Except he's been a member here for over 2 years :rolleyes: Why do iPhone fanboys have such a hard time accepting there are better phones out there?

Frankied22
Jun 20, 2012, 09:01 PM
Except he's been a member here for over 2 years :rolleyes: Why do iPhone fanboys have such a hard time accepting there are better phones out there?

I'm not a fanboy. I plan on trying out the SGIII and think it looks amazing. That post just seemed funny to me.

Sdahe
Jun 20, 2012, 09:32 PM
Who is going to pay $549 for the Galaxy S3?... out of contract price

mbell1975
Jun 20, 2012, 10:14 PM

Plenty I am sure. I will if I fall in love with it at the store. Waiting for the Razr HD ideally

Syk
Jun 20, 2012, 10:20 PM

Is that $549 in the US? I'd buy it for that. I haven't seen it that cheap though. I want it be the AT&T version if I got one.

mbell1975
Jun 20, 2012, 10:36 PM
Is that $549 in the US? I'd buy it for that. I haven't seen it that cheap though. I want it be the AT&T version if I got one.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-s-iii-pebble-blue.html

It will be $549 on all US carriers except Verizon where it will be $599

Syk
Jun 20, 2012, 10:44 PM

Thanks.. well dang why did Amazon have it for like $649 off contract :(
I want the white one though. If I can get it from Amazon at $549(no sales tax) I'll probably go that route but I'm going to be patient and wait for more new iphone details. I'll probably switch because I want a larger screen and want to try something new but will still have to see what the iphone brings.

I wonder if my cousin who works for AT&T can get it even cheaper.

mbell1975
Jun 20, 2012, 10:51 PM
The one for $688 on Amazon is the unlocked international version.

Syk
Jun 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
I was talking about this one
http://wireless.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Android-Phone-Blue/dp/B00891P3QI

Says $649 no contract also says AT&T

nfl46
Jun 20, 2012, 11:16 PM
$549 isn't bad, especially if you currently have an iPhone...you could sell that and put towards the $549 and you'll only end up spending like $150 for an unlocked phone.

0m3ga
Jun 20, 2012, 11:36 PM

Yes, it is $549 when you order throgh at&t. After taxes, it comes to between $575 and $592, depending on the State you live in. I bought one through at&t, no contract. Will arrive by 3pm tomorrow at my door.

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2012, 08:19 AM
What are the differences between an unlocked US one and UK one?

Got my UK one coming today but I usually visit the US/Canada every summer so maybe it would be cheaper getting an unlocked one from there.

LSUtigers03
Jun 21, 2012, 08:26 AM
What are the differences between an unlocked US one and UK one?

Got my UK one coming today but I usually visit the US/Canada every summer so maybe it would be cheaper getting an unlocked one from there.

US version has 2GB of RAM UK version has 1GB of RAM. The UK version has a better processor but no LTE while the US version has LTE.

----------

On T-Mobile it's $630 off contract.

http://phandroid.com/2012/06/20/t-mobile-galaxy-s3-pricing-revealed-to-be-more-expensive-than-other-carriers/

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2012, 08:29 AM
US version has 2GB of RAM UK version has 1GB of RAM. The UK version has a better processor but no LTE while the US version has LTE.[COLOR="#808080"]

Thanks, have no need for LTE here so will just keep this one. :)

akj27
Jun 21, 2012, 08:36 AM
Anyone know if Amazon will sell the carrier versions anytime soon?

Sdahe
Jun 21, 2012, 11:37 AM

Yes... if you go to www.att.com you can see the no commitment price

Sensamic
Jun 21, 2012, 11:41 AM

Pelase... Maybe you dont know this but I dislike Samsung very much since they screwed me over with the Omnia HD 3 years ago. That is why I changed to the iPhone 4, and its been 2 great years. I never had tried Android before yesterday, and I was not gonna ever buy one before because I believed it wasnt really ready yet. But the SGS3 was an awesome phone when I tried it yesterday. I even experienced some bugs and commented them on another post, so Im no fanboy either side.

I dont care about which company wins or which sells the more. Those things only matter to fanboy kids, not adult people.

The big screen allows for the following:

- Better web browsing
- Better videos and Youtube experience
- Better Maps experience
- Better games experience (though there are not much games yet)

iOS still wins in many areas.

nfl46
Jun 21, 2012, 11:46 AM
I went with the One X instead of the S3. I played with both in person. The S3 is really thin for such a huge screen. It doesn't even feel bad in hand. I don't understand why people are so against large screen phones.

Syk
Jun 21, 2012, 12:15 PM
Anyone know if Amazon will sell the carrier versions anytime soon?

I posted the link to the AT&T one and it was higher but listed as backordered pre order available.

I'm still waiting so maybe by the time I look to buy Amazon will have it for the $549 and I can get it there and save about $55(tax);)

AR999
Jun 21, 2012, 12:22 PM
I went with the One X instead of the S3. I played with both in person. The S3 is really thin for such a huge screen. It doesn't even feel bad in hand. I don't understand why people are so against large screen phones.

Because Apple doesn't make one.

Its that simple. The mind of the Apple fanboy :rolleyes:

nfl46
Jun 21, 2012, 12:39 PM
Because Apple doesn't make one.

Its that simple. The mind of the Apple fanboy :rolleyes:

So true!

matttye
Jun 21, 2012, 12:40 PM

I paid 500 (~$780) for mine. Sold my Galaxy S2 for 250 (~$390) so I basically got it for half price :D

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2012, 12:43 PM
Been playing around with my SGS3 for a few hours and so far it's great!

Only done a few things on it so far but the screen is AMAZING! Definitely the standout feature so far. Besides that everything is fast, smooth and very responsive.

At the moment I'm considering keeping it and giving my 4S away, but will play with a little longer before I make any decision.

Anyone know how to move all my contacts from the 4S to the S3 by the way?

qawes
Jun 21, 2012, 12:50 PM

Use iSync maybe?

matttye
Jun 21, 2012, 12:51 PM

Only done a few things on it so far but the screen is AMAZING! Definitely the standout feature so far. Besides that everything is fast, smooth and very responsive.

At the moment I'm considering keeping it and giving my 4S away, but will play with a little longer before I make any decision.

Do you have a Google account? I think the 4S can sync contacts with your Google account..

blackhand1001

Is there a google contact sync for ios? I don't know off the top of my head.

AR999
Looks like someones down-voting all the pro-android posts. How pathetic.

matttye
Jun 21, 2012, 12:53 PM
Looks like someones down-voting all the pro-android posts. How pathetic.

Mine wasn't even pro-Android, I simply posted what I paid for my S3 and it got voted down! :D

AR999
Jun 21, 2012, 12:56 PM
Mine wasn't even pro-Android, I simply posted what I paid for my S3 and it got voted down! :D

It seems to be happening to anyone thats doesn't praise the iPhone as the best thing ever!

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
Use iSync maybe?

Do you have a Google account? I think the 4S can sync contacts with your Google account..

Thanks guys, will look into these now. :)

KentuckyHouse
Jun 21, 2012, 01:53 PM

FYI, Best Buy will also price-match AT&T on the GSIII (off-contract, full price of course). I went in yesterday to ask and they guy did some looking on his computer and said, sure, we can do that.

I'm going to let the hype and hysteria die down for a couple of weeks and then pick mine up from Best Buy at full price. I'll keep the 4S as a back up or a change up from time to time.

Frankied22
Jun 21, 2012, 01:57 PM
FYI, Best Buy will also price-match AT&T on the GSIII (off-contract, full price of course). I went in yesterday to ask and they guy did some looking on his computer and said, sure, we can do that.

I'm going to let the hype and hysteria die down for a couple of weeks and then pick mine up from Best Buy at full price. I'll keep the 4S as a back up or a change up from time to time.

Is there a date at all for when we will see them in Best Buy. I really want to play around with one first but with all the orders getting delayed I'm sure they wont be in stores for a couple weeks yet.

KentuckyHouse
Jun 21, 2012, 02:09 PM
Is there a date at all for when we will see them in Best Buy. I really want to play around with one first but with all the orders getting delayed I'm sure they wont be in stores for a couple weeks yet.

From what I gather by reading the GSIII forums over on xda and Android Central, there hasn't been much word of anything yet. Some people are starting to receive their pre-orders today via FedEx, but others who ordered on 6/5 or 6/6 are still showing back ordered status. There was even one guy that had pre-ordered a white and when he found out it was going to be delayed, he immediately ordered the blue via an AT&T store and the new order is already showing it as shipped.

But as far as Best Buy goes, it's anyone's guess on when they may have them in stock. I'm content to wait out the rush and just pick it up in a few weeks (obviously I'm hoping that will mean next week, but I highly doubt that).

radiohead14
Jun 21, 2012, 02:13 PM

i'm one of those people. my first Apple product was a 3rd gen iPod and then a Santa Rosa MBP. have been an OSX convert since i found the user experience of OSX to be much better than Windows at the time (granted Win 7 now has closed that gap).

with iOS though.. i never got that same feeling. i found it to be too limited, and i hated being tied to iTunes. Android gave me that same experience of when i realized that OSX is a better OS.

i listen to music a lot on my phone, so little things like being able to add a DSP manager with virtual surround on top of a 10 band EQ (Poweramp - best music player IMO), is a huge reason why i love Android's ability to be customized.

it's all personal preference anyway, so it's silly when people get all heated trying to defend the two.

ps.. can't wait for my SIII to come. managed to keep my VZW unlimited data as well, so it'll be a fun experience with this phone.

wayneholbrook
Jun 21, 2012, 02:38 PM
I too just picked up a G3 and just testing it to see if I like it. For some reason I cant add my .me email to the G3. It keeps saying my user name or password is incorrect. I then sign into icloud with it and it works but for some reason it wont accept it on the G3.

Any ideas?

blairh
Jun 21, 2012, 02:43 PM

I called a Best Buy Mobile store near me. Sales rep said I can come in and play with one tomorrow. Prior to when they'll be on sale. Might want to take a shot calling stores in your area and asking. In my experience recently, some stores will let you play with a phone in store before the release date.

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2012, 02:45 PM
To anyone getting this phone in the future you will not be disappointed! Actually kind of pissed that I bought a 4S in December now, but that's life.

Biggest problem I've had so far is the response time of the home button, but turning off double click to activate S-Voice fixes that so all is great now! :D

monkeylui
Jun 21, 2012, 02:48 PM

Contacts sync is the name of the app.

El3ctronics
Jun 21, 2012, 02:50 PM

Of course...just set up your google account as a Microsoft Exchange account (instead of through GMail) and it will allow for push email, push contacts, and push calendar. Instructions linked below:

http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=138740

wayneholbrook
Jun 21, 2012, 02:55 PM
I am starting to think that icloud and any me email addresses can no longer work on a google device.

radiohead14
Jun 21, 2012, 03:44 PM
To anyone getting this phone in the future you will not be disappointed! Actually kind of pissed that I bought a 4S in December now, but that's life.

Biggest problem I've had so far is the response time of the home button, but turning off double click to activate S-Voice fixes that so all is great now! :D

do you know if we can remap the menu button to open multitask instead of holding down home? i'm sure upcoming ROMs will implement this, but it'd be nice if we have this option in stock as well.

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
do you know if we can remap the menu button to open multitask instead of holding down home? i'm sure upcoming ROMs will implement this, but it'd be nice if we have this option in stock as well.
It's originally double tap of the home button. Just looked at the settings now and there's no option to remap the button, however you can change the command phrase so you can just say that if you want to open S-Voice up, works well when I've tried it in the lock screen so far. :)

Syk
Jun 21, 2012, 04:57 PM

Thanks. I'll go that route if Amazon doesn't get them for the same price.
I'm really trying to hold out to see what the new iphone brings but I guess it really won't matter because I'll still have my subsidy if I want to use it. I just don't want to be tied to a contract any more.

Also I'm like you. I'm going to let the hoopla die off and see what people are saying about the AT&T version. I've seen the international videos but would like some reviews of the AT&T one and maybe go play with one before buying

Sensamic
Jun 21, 2012, 06:34 PM
It's originally double tap of the home button. Just looked at the settings now and there's no option to remap the button, however you can change the command phrase so you can just say that if you want to open S-Voice up, works well when I've tried it in the lock screen so far. :)

Multitask is holding the home button. S Voice is double tap. I much much prefer it this way since double tap home button in iPhone is what broke it after using so many times during 1 year. Holding down the home button is less problematic.

Frankied22
Jun 21, 2012, 06:53 PM
Multitask is holding the home button. S Voice is double tap. I much much prefer it this way since double tap home button in iPhone is what broke it after using so many times during 1 year. Holding down the home button is less problematic.

Yea my iPhone 4's home button barely ever registers the double tap to multitask. It has trouble kicking me back to the home screen sometimes too.

akj27
Jun 21, 2012, 07:22 PM
One more question, wasn't Apple putting restrictions to when you can transfer your 4s to a different line? I ask because I got my 4s at launch and I wanna get an S3, but I plan on selling my 4s and I don't wanna screw someone over.

Thanks

Certinfy
Jun 21, 2012, 07:25 PM
Yes, sorry I read it wrong as I thought radiohead was asking about S-Voice, my apologies.

Looked into it now and I can't find a way to switch the holding down of the home button to switch it to another gesture. I totally agree with you that holding it down is a lot less problematic, I quite like it myself.

Also loving the multitasking on ICS, it's absolutely stunning, fluent and very well designed! :)

Sensamic
Jun 21, 2012, 08:09 PM
Yes, sorry I read it wrong as I thought radiohead was asking about S-Voice, my apologies.

Looked into it now and I can't find a way to switch the holding down of the home button to switch it to another gesture. I totally agree with you that holding it down is a lot less problematic, I quite like it myself.

Also loving the multitasking on ICS, it's absolutely stunning, fluent and very well designed! :)

I even found a ROM that allows you to put the screen buttons from ICS (seen on Galaxy Nexus) on the SGS3. I love the idea of screen buttons, since they will never break! :D:D My iPhone 4 has had problems with the home button for over 9 months. Apple didn't even want to fix it under warranty... So now I use Zephyr, the best jailbreak tweak out there. This is why I prefer capacitive buttons or display buttons over hardware. Hardware is more probable to break.

paulro
Jun 22, 2012, 03:41 AM
I sold my previous iPhone 4 and got an S3 a couple of weeks ago, but I'm planning to switch to iPhone 4S again.

The S3 is a great phone overall, and is quicker than my previous iPhone 4. Android is a good OS, though not quite as slick as iOS in my opinion.

The problem with the S3 is the screen though. On the one hand, it is a nice size, making it very usable. On the other, you need 2 hands to operate it most of the time. White backgrounds seem a bit washed out and nowhere near as sharp as an iPhone 4/4S.

The main problem though, and the reason I'm switching back is the fact that you really can't use the phone outdoors if there's even a hint of sun about.
Even with the brightness turned upto the max setting, you can't make hardly anything out. This makes trying to use the very good camera almost impossible for outdoors shots. Really, I'm suprised that there's not more critisism for what I see as a serious design flaw on the S3.

Technarchy
Jun 22, 2012, 03:45 AM
Really, I'm suprised that there's not more critisism for what I see as a serious design flaw on the S3.

It's not a design flaw. It's just the way AMOLED screens are. They are dimmer, period.

nooaah
Jun 22, 2012, 06:09 AM
I sold my previous iPhone 4 and got an S3 a couple of weeks ago, but I'm planning to switch to iPhone 4S again.

The S3 is a great phone overall, and is quicker than my previous iPhone 4. Android is a good OS, though not quite as slick as iOS in my opinion.

The problem with the S3 is the screen though. On the one hand, it is a nice size, making it very usable. On the other, you need 2 hands to operate it most of the time. White backgrounds seem a bit washed out and nowhere near as sharp as an iPhone 4/4S.

The main problem though, and the reason I'm switching back is the fact that you really can't use the phone outdoors if there's even a hint of sun about.
Even with the brightness turned upto the max setting, you can't make hardly anything out. This makes trying to use the very good camera almost impossible for outdoors shots. Really, I'm suprised that there's not more critisism for what I see as a serious design flaw on the S3.

Good to know. I was actually going to pick this up off contract soon. I guess I'll have to get another Android phone - mainly just to feel confident that I'm without a doubt happy with the iPhone. That, or get a WM8 device. They look pretty slick. I've been in the iBubble since 2007 so I just feel like changing it up for a few months.

ipodlover77
Jun 22, 2012, 07:46 AM
mines coming tomorrow wooo! And for some odd reason, im guessing computer issues on their end, i was able to use an upgrade for the one x and still get upgrade pricing on the sgs3.

radiohead14
Jun 22, 2012, 12:31 PM

hmm.. that differs with most reviews i've seen of the phone. here's one from gsm arena: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-review-761p2.php

Sunlight legibility is splendid too - the HD Super AMOLED isn't the brightest around, but its reflectivity is so low that even outside in the brightest day, you'll still be able to see what's on the screen quite clearly. As a matter of fact, the Galaxy S III managed to top our sunlight legibility charts.

click the link for the chart.

chiefpavvy
Jun 22, 2012, 12:49 PM
Well with S3's rolling out next few days the board will be full of fAndroid trolls, even more so than usual. Thank God for long weekends. :D :D :D

Lindenhurst
Jun 22, 2012, 12:59 PM
Well with S3's rolling out next few days the board will be full of fAndroid trolls, even more so than usual. Thank God for long weekends. :D :D :D

Do you mean those that switch to S3 from iPhone? Hopefully they don't lose their right to still be a part of this forum just because they decided on another phone.

I know many complain about the number of non iPhone threads here, but I as well as many others like Apple products, and have a house full of them, but have decided to try another phone out for various reasons. After years of being on this forum, I still enjoy reading it almost every day, even though I currently do not use an iPhone.

paulro
Jun 22, 2012, 02:21 PM
hmm.. that differs with most reviews i've seen of the phone. here's one from gsm arena: http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i9300_galaxy_s_iii-review-761p2.php

click the link for the chart.

It's definitely the worst phone i've used in terms of screen visibility in the sun. It's not an opinion. It's truly unusable. Unless mine has a defective screen which works fine indoors or on a cloudy day, but only exhibits the fault when the sun comes out...

Or gsmarena have been given a superior model from the ones being sold to the public.

Neither of those are the case I suspect.

Frankied22
Jun 22, 2012, 02:24 PM
Do you mean those that switch to S3 from iPhone? Hopefully they don't lose their right to still be a part of this forum just because they decided on another phone.

I know many complain about the number of non iPhone threads here, but I as well as many others like Apple products, and have a house full of them, but have decided to try another phone out for various reasons. After years of being on this forum, I still enjoy reading it almost every day, even though I currently do not use an iPhone.

Same here. I've used an iPhone for the past 4 years, but I will be trying the SGIII

bad03xtreme
Jun 22, 2012, 03:08 PM
I am thinking about making this my first ever smartphone, I have been waiting out getting a smartphone and paying the crazy prices as long as I can but I have gone almost 2 years month-to-month on Verizon and I am not sure what they will do if I don't get a data plan before the family shared deal starts up.

WindWaker
Jun 22, 2012, 03:44 PM
Man....can somebody help me out with this same problem?

I had an iP4, then about a year and a half later I picked up my Galaxy Nexus, and I love it. Here's what I love about it:

1) Screen Size
2) Weight
3) Android Customization (yes, I'm one of those people)
4) Easy Root Methods

That said, I also love my iP4:

1) Screen (not size)
2) App Store
3) Jailbreaking Customization
4) Ecosystem (I have a Mac and iPad-- with iOS 6 and Mountain Lion, I'm in a bind...)
5) Siri (yes, I know this isn't on the iP4, but I have an iPad 3 running iOS 6, so I know I'll have this experience if I choose to get an iP5

What would you do (iP4S vs SGSIII)???? I'm thinking I might just get a Nexus 7 tablet to keep an eye on both platforms and make my final decision between the iP5 and Nexus 4 (I'm more of a stock android person) in the October timeframe.

nooaah
Jun 22, 2012, 03:56 PM
I'm leaning towards having both for the summer and only sticking with the S3 if the new iPhone is a complete disaster - which is 99% unlikely.

Does anyone know if it's easy to switch between phones on the fly with Verizon? Say I want to go with my 4S this week and the S3 next week?

matttye
Jun 22, 2012, 04:06 PM
I'm leaning towards having both for the summer and only sticking with the S3 if the new iPhone is a complete disaster - which is 99% unlikely.

Does anyone know if it's easy to switch between phones on the fly with Verizon? Say I want to go with my 4S this week and the S3 next week?

There are Android apps that let you sync with iCloud so it should be fairly easy to switch between the two :)

Sensamic
Jun 22, 2012, 04:07 PM
Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

Today I sold my iPhone 4 and bought the SGS3.

I cannot express enough how amazing this phone is. Im sure Android was bad before 4.0, but ICS is so much better than iOS that it seems like a joke...

Ive been with iOS 2 years: iPhone 4 and iPad. I love my Mac ecosystem: iMac and Mac Mini as media center. But now I seriously doubt I will ever go back to iOS. Ill still buy macs, obviously.

I feel just the same way like when I went from windows to OS X. The difference was abysmal. ICS is to iOS what OS X is to Windows. It also resembles the lap I went from Samsung Omnia HD 3 years ago to the iPhone 4. Huge leap forward too.

Love how thin the device is, how lightweight, the beautiful screen, the capacitive buttons, etc.

You know whats best? Im playing Donkey Kong on a GBA emulator without needing to jailbreak! :D:D:D aaahhh the memories...

I mean, not having to wait for jailbreak releases again is nice, but that will be replaced by waiting for updates, right? :D:D:D

You just need to try this device on person. I didn't want to buy it at first, but when I tried it this wednesday I knew I had to buy it.

Im surprised by Android apps. They are really good (and many look nice too). Facebook, Twitter, Skype... They look the same but on a bigger screen (which makes it so, so much better to view at).

To me, personally, this has been a VERY huge improvement.

matttye
Jun 22, 2012, 04:18 PM
Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

I cannot express enough how amazing this phone is. Im sure Android was bad before 4.0, but ICS is so much better than iOS that it seems like a joke...

Ive been with iOS 2 years: iPhone 4 and iPad. I love my Mac ecosystem: iMac and Mac Mini as media center. But now I seriously doubt I will ever go back to iOS. Ill still buy macs, obviously.

I feel just the same way like when I went from windows to OS X. The difference was abysmal. ICS is to iOS what OS X is to Windows. It also resembles the lap I went from Samsung Omnia HD 3 years ago to the iPhone 4. Huge leap forward too.

Love how thin the device is, how lightweight, the beautiful screen, the capacitive buttons, etc.

You know whats best? Im playing Donkey Kong on a GBA emulator without needing to jailbreak! :D:D:D aaahhh the memories...

I mean, not having to wait for jailbreak releases again is nice, but that will be replaced by waiting for updates, right? :D:D:D

You just need to try this device on person. I didn't want to buy it at first, but when I tried it this wednesday I knew I had to buy it.

Im surprised by Android apps. They are really good (and many look nice too). Facebook, Twitter, Skype... They look the same but on a bigger screen (which makes it so, so much better to view at).

Glad you like it, I love mine :D

There's one glaring omission in the Facebook app - you can't upload multiple pictures, only one at a time. There are apps on the play store to rectify this though :)

PM me if you want to to know some good Android communities to join!

mbell1975
Jun 22, 2012, 04:18 PM
Wow.

Wow.

Wow.

Congrats! This is typical. The usual Android hate comes from blind fanboys who have never even touched an Android phone before or spent time learning how to use one. Its hard NOT to love it once you start using it. BTW, where did you walk into a store and get one and what carrier? They don't seem to be available anywhere.

nooaah
Jun 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
There are Android apps that let you sync with iCloud so it should be fairly easy to switch between the two :)

I meant like is it easy for Verizon to have both phones on the same line? Like I could just go to my account preferences and activate the phone of the week I wanted without nonsense charges?

Frankied22
Jun 22, 2012, 04:28 PM
Congrats! This is typical. The usual Android hate comes from blind fanboys who have never even touched an Android phone before or spent time learning how to use one. Its hard NOT to love it once you start using it. BTW, where did you walk into a store and get one and what carrier? They don't seem to be available anywhere.

I would also like to know where. Nowhere around me has any, let alone one you can play with.

LSUtigers03
Jun 22, 2012, 04:42 PM
I meant like is it easy for Verizon to have both phones on the same line? Like I could just go to my account preferences and activate the phone of the week I wanted without nonsense charges?

I think it's easy with two LTE phones. If the new iPhone has LTE then you could probably sell your 4s get the new iPhone and use those two.

ETA: I really want to get the s3 but it's very hard to give up the battery life on the RAZR MAXX. I may wait to see the specs on the Atrix 3 and see if it has the MAXX battery.

Sensamic
Jun 22, 2012, 04:59 PM

Where I live (Spain) its very, very difficult to find a place where phones are on and you can try them. They are always off and you just see the outside. Thats why I never could play with Android before. This wednesday finally I found the SGS3 on (it was the only phone turned on in the whole shop!! :D:D). I spent a really good time playing with it making sure everything was as good or better than iOS, and I found out that most things (Id say 80% or even more) are way better, like Maps, Gmail, YouTube, speech to text, etc.

I don't want to make it sound like iOS is bad. I really liked it these 2 years, but if I had tried ICS before... :rolleyes:

The 3.5 screen now does seem like an issue when you try something bigger in HD. Not just web browsing, but specially games! On my jailbroken iPhone 4 I couldn't play Donkey Kong on the GBA emulator (only emulator that worked!) because the keys where too big and there was no space. Now, with GBAsoid, everything is perfect size. I can't wait to try the N64 and PSX emulators. Even my old games from Game Gear when I was younger! :D:D Good times.

I just love smartphones. I don't care about brand or OS as long as they are good. Ive been wanting to try Android for over a year, but never found a phone that quite matched the iPhone. Im glad I waited enough time for Android to get better.

Right now, being completely sincere, I see no reason to go back to iOS. I don't find apps to be so bad on Android, for example. Notifications are equally good. For games I have my dear emulators plus new releases. Screen is better (but mainly due to size). LED indicator is nice. Etc, etc.

LSUtigers03
Jun 22, 2012, 05:03 PM
Where I live (Spain) its very, very difficult to find a place where phones are on and you can try them. They are always off and you just see the outside. Thats why I never could play with Android before. This wednesday finally I found the SGS3 on (it was the only phone turned on in the whole shop!! :D:D). I spent a really good time playing with it making sure everything was as good or better than iOS, and I found out that most things (Id say 80% or even more) are way better, like Maps, Gmail, YouTube, speech to text, etc.

I don't want to make it sound like iOS is bad. I really liked it these 2 years, but if I had tried ICS before... :rolleyes:

The 3.5 screen now does seem like an issue when you try something bigger in HD. Not just web browsing, but specially games! On my jailbroken iPhone 4 I couldn't play Donkey Kong on the GBA emulator (only emulator that worked!) because the keys where too big and there was no space. Now, with GBAsoid, everything is perfect size. I can't wait to try the N64 and PSX emulators. Even my old games from Game Gear when I was younger! :D:D Good times.

And here I though Mail in iOS was better...

I just love smartphones. I don't care about brand or OS as long as they are good. Ive been wanting to try Android for over a year, but never found a phone that quite matched the iPhone. Im glad I waited enough time for Android to get better.

Right now, being completely sincere, I see no reason to go back to iOS. I don't find apps to be so bad on Android, for example. Notifications are equally good. For games I have my dear emulators plus new releases. Screen is better (but mainly due to size). LED indicator is nice. Etc, etc.

I've owned every iPhone and I have a ton of apps so I'm not going to abandon iOS. I never thought I would leave the iPhone but like you said Android has improved dramatically from where it used to be. My iPad takes care of my iOS needs and Android takes care of my phone needs.

Certinfy
Jun 22, 2012, 05:03 PM
It's actually a joke how good the Galaxy S3 is, I expected it to be great but no where near this good! I was hesitant about getting one at first but given the size of it and my love for my iPhone 4S but I am very glad I took the gamble.

In fact now that my battery has died on the Galaxy S3 and i'm using my iPhone 4S for most general tasks it practically puts the iPhone 4S to shame. It's not even in the same league as the iPhone 4S, it's leagues above, makes me feel stupid and embarrassed for spending 500 on the 4S to be totally honest!

I actually had a Galaxy S2 before my iPhone 4S and liked it but didn't think anything about it was amazing, whereas with the Galaxy S3 I really can't find a single thing that isn't great about it.

The screen on the iPhone 4S is also a joke compared to the Galaxy S3's, not due to the size but the colours are far beyond amazing compared to the dull non vibrant ones on the iPhone 4S.

To people moaning about Android, I think it's better than iOS in many ways. Of course iOS has the better apps but besides that I don't think there's much else iOS is superior at. With some apps I've found them to be more stable and responsive on iOS (such as ATP/WTA Live Scores app) but with others it's been the other way around (such as the Wimbledon app), but in general most of the apps I use are on both operating systems and aren't better or worse on either.

Great stuff Samsung! I think I'm completely done with iPhones now, will keep my 4S but doubt I'll ever get another iPhone in the future.

Sensamic
Jun 22, 2012, 05:16 PM
What I did was sell my iPhone 4 32GB to Vodafone, my carrier. It has been like 8 months with the home button broken, which was another of the main reasons I switched to SGS3: the capacitive buttons. If the button hadn't break I would probably still be using it... so Apple is not perfect when it comes to build quality either.

With the money from the iPhone 4 the SGS3 cost me 273 euros, which is really great. The iPhone 4 cost me 350 euros 2 years ago. At that time it was the best phone on the market for me. 2 years later, iPhone is no longer the king. Im not saying the SGS3 is. Maybe the HOX is, or the Note, or the Razr... I just think the SGS3 is way, way better than 4 (obviously) and 4S.

Even the keyboard is more fast and responsive, although Im not using it since Im obsessed with the speech to text :D:D

matttye
Jun 22, 2012, 05:26 PM
What I did was sell my iPhone 4 32GB to Vodafone, my carrier. It has been like 8 months with the home button broken, which was another of the main reasons I switched to SGS3: the capacitive buttons. If the button hadn't break I would probably still be using it... so Apple is not perfect when it comes to build quality either.

With the money from the iPhone 4 the SGS3 cost me 273 euros, which is really great. The iPhone 4 cost me 350 euros 2 years ago. At that time it was the best phone on the market for me. 2 years later, iPhone is no longer the king. Im not saying the SGS3 is. Maybe the HOX is, or the Note, or the Razr... I just think the SGS3 is way, way better than 4 (obviously) and 4S.

Even the keyboard is more fast and responsive, although Im not using it since Im obsessed with the speech to text :D:D

The SwiftKey keyboard is amazing and it's half price for 1.49 (1.87) at the moment. Really improves typing speed and the autocorrect is phenominal :D

Sensamic
Jun 22, 2012, 05:35 PM
The SwiftKey keyboard is amazing and it's half price for 1.49 (1.87) at the moment. Really improves typing speed and the autocorrect is phenominal :D

Yeah, Ill try other keyboards and fonts and launcher and widgets and live wallpapers and... Cant get bored with this, right? :D

monkeylui
Jun 22, 2012, 05:40 PM
I really hate you guys talking about how great & fantastic the Galaxy S3 is......

When I can't have mine yet. :(

Seriously though, sounds awesome & thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I can get it on Monday at the local AT&T store.

I'm getting pretty use to ICS because I've been using it on the Galaxy Tab 2, so I've had some prep time with it. Look forward too it.

TheBigKing
Jun 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
i have my baby two gs3 i sold my 4s and buy it 3 weeks ago love mine

Sensamic
Jun 22, 2012, 08:41 PM
Hahaha this is awesome!

Just copied my whole iTunes music library to the SD card on the SGS3 and it recognized EVERYTHING without me needing to do anything. So many posts all over the internet about problems with syncing with iTunes had me a little bit worried, but I didn't expect it to be so easy!

I just copied all the folders from iTunes/media/music to a folder created by me named "music" in the SD card and its all there: album artwork, info, albums, artists, etc.

How easy was that??? Take that iTunes!!! :D:D:D

Plus, another thing Ive been wanting for years: folders in the photos app. On iOS its a poor implementation. Here I can have folders and subfolders anywhere on the SD card and it will appear automatically on the photos app.

Thank you Android, thank you :D:D

blairh
Jun 22, 2012, 10:28 PM
Great stuff Samsung! I think I'm completely done with iPhones now, will keep my 4S but doubt I'll ever get another iPhone in the future.

Certinfy, can you do me a favor? A real quick comparison for me, seeing that you have both the SIII and iPhone 4S in your possession.

I'd really like to know how the whites compare in these two devices at max brightness in the web browser. It appears I'll have to wait another week to see this for myself here in the States.

Ideally I'd like for you to set the brightness at max on both devices and disable auto brightness. Then pull up Google.com on both and see for yourself. Technically the 4S screen should be much brighter given the stats posted by Anandtech (and CNET keeps bringing this fact up too). However I keep seeing what appears to be impressive whites on some HD SIII YouTube review vids.

If you elect to do this for me, and choose to use the stock SIII browser, keep in mind that (strangely) the brightness setting for said browser is separate then the device itself. You can find it once you hit Menu with the stock browser open and then Display. Uncheck Auto and choose the Default level, not the other 3.

Getting ahead of myself. That's if you elect to do this for me. Thanks in advance!

onthecouchagain
Jun 22, 2012, 10:45 PM
People are seeing the light of Android. Or to be more accurate, people are apostatizing from the gardened faith of Apple.

: clap clap :

nooaah
Jun 22, 2012, 10:48 PM
People are seeing the light of Android. Or to be more accurate, people are apostatizing from the gardened faith of Apple.

: clap clap :

"You don't like what I like so you're a sheep." Ugh.

Indy21
Jun 22, 2012, 11:12 PM
Competition is great!

I can't wait to see Apple push back this fall!;)

Technarchy
Jun 22, 2012, 11:24 PM
Competition is great!

I can't wait to see Apple push back this fall!;)

It won't take much for Apple to stay the best selling smart phone.

Though I am curious about Windows 8.

sentinelsx
Jun 23, 2012, 12:05 AM
Hahaha this is awesome!

Just copied my whole iTunes music library to the SD card on the SGS3 and it recognized EVERYTHING without me needing to do anything. So many posts all over the internet about problems with syncing with iTunes had me a little bit worried, but I didn't expect it to be so easy!

I just copied all the folders from iTunes/media/music to a folder created by me named "music" in the SD card and its all there: album artwork, info, albums, artists, etc.

How easy was that??? Take that iTunes!!! :D:D:D

Plus, another thing Ive been wanting for years: folders in the photos app. On iOS its a poor implementation. Here I can have folders and subfolders anywhere on the SD card and it will appear automatically on the photos app.

Thank you Android, thank you :D:D

This is exactly what i am talking about when i tell people why i jailbroke my iPhone to use easier drag and drop. Except it doesn't automatically recognize it, i just have to slide a setting to "on" to make it so. But far better than managing iTunes.

It is amazing how drag and drop still makes things far easier than using another software layer. At least for some of us.

topherg
Jun 23, 2012, 12:08 AM
I'm on the vzw galaxy nexus made the switch before the end of 4G unlimited. Takes a little getting used to. But I love the free tethering (play store app) works great with my iPad! Interested in giving the SG3 a shot.

mbell1975
Jun 23, 2012, 12:34 AM
It won't take much for Apple to stay the best selling smart phone.

Though I am curious about Windows 8.

Who cares about what sells best? Just because it sells more doesn't mean its better. Justin Bieber SELLS more albums and makes more money than Coldplay, but I think we all know who the better artist is....

nooaah
Jun 23, 2012, 12:54 AM
Who cares about what sells best? Just because it sells more doesn't mean its better. Justin Bieber SELLS more albums and makes more money than Coldplay, but I think we all know who the better artist is....

As a business, sales matter over everything. Apple is out-profiting everyone. Implying that anyone who likes iOS is like a teeny bopper Bieber fan is extremely juvenile. And, really, Coldplay? LOL...

Technarchy
Jun 23, 2012, 12:57 AM

I care because I like the massive, ever growing iOS ecosystem.

I like things like instagram and Flipboard and Street Fighter vs Tekken and everything else that won't end up on android or will come out months or years later.

iOS sales directly impacts my user experience and the functionality of my device because it fuels the ecosystem.

mbell1975
Jun 23, 2012, 01:09 AM

I like things like instagram and Flipboard and Street Fighter vs Tekken and everything else that won't end up on android or will come out months or years later.

iOS sales directly impacts my user experience and the functionality of my device because it fuels the ecosystem.

Thats cool. I would MUCH rather have useful things. You know, like 4G LTE and get things like multitasking, copy/paste, MMS, notification bar etc...months or years before Apple steals them and adds them to ios. You can keep your lame apps and games :)

----------

As a business, sales matter over everything. Apple is out-profiting everyone.

Thats because they demand a ridiculous amount of sales from the iPhone and the iPhones are far more expensive than most Android phones. Duh :rolleyes:

DanteMann
Jun 23, 2012, 01:10 AM

Hahahaa. Of course you would say such a thing. Sales matter only when it benefits your argument. Just like how the blind followers like to use specs when it benefits their argument. BTW, do you also buy the best selling OS for your laptop and desktop. I mean, according to you, it would only make sense right? Oh wait, we won't use sales as an example in this case because, well....you know. :rolleyes:

depths
Jun 23, 2012, 01:27 AM
Could someone do a quick tldr regarding the benefits of Apples "ecosystem"?

I'm a brand slut. I've got a mac book pro, windows desktop, Ipad and Galaxy Nexus and I use dropbox for cloud storage. What am I missing?

Technarchy
Jun 23, 2012, 01:36 AM
Hahahaa. Of course you would say such a thing. Sales matter only when it benefits your argument. Just like how the blind followers like to use specs when it benefits their argument. BTW, do you also buy the best selling OS for your laptop and desktop. I mean, according to you, it would only make sense right? Oh wait, we won't use sales as an example in this case because, well....you know. :rolleyes:

You're right. Sales don't matter. Just ask HTC how sales don't matter.

ZebraineZ
Jun 23, 2012, 01:38 AM
Thats cool. I would MUCH rather have useful things. You know, like 4G LTE and get things like multitasking, copy/paste, MMS, notification bar etc...months or years before Apple steals them and adds them to ios. You can keep your lame apps and games :)

----------

Thats because they demand a ridiculous amount of sales from the iPhone and the iPhones are far more expensive than most Android phones. Duh :rolleyes:

Android stole Apples copy paste method. And in case you haven't noticed iPhones are literally priced the same as Android phones, it is usually Androids that have some premium attached to them with 300 dollar devices that you need to get a rebate for to be competitive with the 4S. And even then, a 99 on contract iPhone 4 is still leaps and bounds faster than a recent Android device. Try again.

Vegastouch
Jun 23, 2012, 02:02 AM

Dude, Instagram is on Android. I dont use it because i dont care for Instagram and i doubt many people play those 1990 games you like so who cares if they end up on Android? They may be on there also but i sure havent checked.

You have been an iPhone user for what...4 months and suddenly Apples sales directly impact your user experience? :rolleyes:

I would think 4 months would be enough time to realize that iTunes sux! So glad i dont have to use that slow worthless program anymore.

DanteMann
Jun 23, 2012, 02:07 AM
You're right. Sales don't matter. Just ask HTC how sales don't matter.

Way to Ignore what I was asking you. I guess you've just put your foot so far down your throat with your "number of sales" argument that you can't answer my question? You said sales matter to you because "iOS sales directly impacts my user experience and the functionality of my device because it fuels the ecosystem."
So again, I ask you, do you use the best selling OS for your laptop or desktop? Or to be blunt, is Windows your primary choice for your laptop and desktop? Also, are you loyal to it and speak so highly of it because of it's completely dominating sales numbers to any other OS on the planet?

Technarchy
Jun 23, 2012, 02:14 AM
Thats cool. I would MUCH rather have useful things. You know, like 4G LTE and get things like multitasking, copy/paste, MMS, notification bar etc...months or years before Apple steals them and adds them to ios. You can keep your lame apps and games

There is something inherently wrong and dull-witted about your retort. Using your very same argument, your assertions break down quickly when speaking about android.

http://photos.appleinsider.com/asustab.004.jpg

And apps is what makes or breaks a smart device. There is a reason android tablet sales languish. The dedicated app selection is pathetic.

Android phones are slightly better, but developers still give iOS the lions share of their support, which results in much happier, more satisfied iOS users compared to android users.

Technarchy
Jun 23, 2012, 02:31 AM
Way to Ignore what I was asking you. I guess you've just put your foot so far down your throat with your "number of sales" argument that you can't answer my question? You said sales matter to you because "iOS sales directly impacts my user experience and the functionality of my device because it fuels the ecosystem."
So again, I ask you, do you use the best selling OS for your laptop or desktop? Or to be blunt, is Windows your primary choice for your laptop and desktop? Also, are you loyal to it and speak so highly of it because of it's completely dominating sales numbers to any other OS on the planet?

I'm on a Windows 7 box now if that's what you are asking, which I've owned for about 3 years.

I'm undecided on if I'll go Windows 8 or OSX for my next desktop. Ask me this question again in 4 months.

However, Windows is not quite the same as Android, so the correlation you are trying to make doesn't pass the sniff test. Windows not only has more support than OSX and sells better, but it is also a cornerstone to the entire world's technology's needs, including my own occupation. The Windows ecosystem is a huge factor.

Android is no where near as significant.

iancapable
Jun 23, 2012, 02:55 AM
This site is fast making me lose interest. Who invited the android fans to come along and start flaming.

This is an apple rumour site, used by people that like apple products. Since when did it become a site for arguments over android and iOS.

Personally, I like iOS. I like how it works in comparison to Android. I like the fact that everything is seamlessly integrated and I couldn't give a rats ass about the specs the android handsets. A phone is a phone. I use mine to read email, make calls, send texts and listen to music, with runkeeper keeping track of my very occasional runs...

I use my iPad to play the odd game, watch movies and browse the web. I sync it to my iMac and everything works.

I get regular updates and I have a fantastic store full of decent apps (if you can get by the scams that have started to surface, something that apple need to sort out IMHO).

Android users, much like most linux users become zealots and have to flame everyone due to some form of inferiority complex.

I REALLY REALLY DON'T CARE.

And the iOS supports, shame on you. Why bother feeding the android trolls on the site? All you do is drop yourself down to their level and become trolls yourself. Let them post their nonsensical ******** and simply just ignore them. Trust me when I say they will just go away and whack off over their cheap plastic hardware. Better specs? Yes, but that's all the android people have. Let them take their specs and ****** off.

I come to this site to read about apple products and I am sick of all this android rubbish.

There I've had my moan, one of my rare posts on this forum, but I just couldn't keep silent anymore because it's pissing me off.

mbell1975
Jun 23, 2012, 03:04 AM
And in case you haven't noticed iPhones are literally priced the same as Android phones, it is usually Androids that have some premium attached to them with 300 dollar devices that you need to get a rebate for to be competitive with the 4S.

LOL what? The biggest and best new Android phones, the S3, One X and the Evo 4G LTE are all $199 on contract with retail prices of $549. The iPhone 4s is $199-$399 on contract and $649-$849 retail. I am no math wiz but it looks to me the iPhones are WAY more expensive than Android phones. You fail.

papelboyl1
Jun 23, 2012, 03:13 AM
You can keep your lame apps and games :)

You have a smartphone but don't care about the apps? You might as well get an ordinary phone then?

Technarchy
Jun 23, 2012, 03:43 AM
You have been an iPhone user for what...4 months and suddenly Apples sales directly impact your user experience? :rolleyes:

It took me 3 years to realize that android is horrible software. It was the iOS ecosystem and user experience that made me change. Over the last 4 months I realized android was one big waste of time.

I once extolled the virtues of android. Never again. It's awful.

iMacca
Jun 23, 2012, 03:46 AM
I thought it would be interesting to do a comparison of the features I most care about on my phone. I have had the lastest iPhones for the past 4 years, but was curious to see whether I'd like the S3, so I bought one and used it for the last 2 weeks. As of right now, I couldn't say which one is better, but I have to say I am incredibly happy about the S3, if only for the reason that it will keep Apple on their toes and force them to make a better iPhone 5 :)

Here's what matters to me in a phone and which phone (in my opinion) wins (iPhone 4S running iOS6 beta vs Galaxy S3):

- Size & weight: S3 (I really like the way it feels in my hand, don't mind the plastic, after all my iPhone has got plastic case! S3 screen is really amazing)
- Battery life: S3 (better by about 30%)
- Email client: iPhone (standard iOS mail app renders emails way better than any Android/Gmail mail app I have tried)
- Browser: S3 (Loooove Chrome beta on Android)
- Keyboard: iPhone (don't like S3's autocorrect, and I keep hitting the menu button because of the way I hold the phone when typing with 2 thumbs)
- Camera: iPhone
- Music player: using Spotify on both, and couldn't tell the difference in sound quality
- Apps: probably iPhone, not all apps I use are available on Google Play, and in most cases are better implemented in iPhone version
- Maps: like both versions (comparing new maps of iOS 6 with Google maps)

I also have an iPad that I use for gaming, reading and watching videos, so won't compare those.

As of right now, I like using the S3 a little bit better, maybe it's just because it's new to me, although the screen size and weight make a big difference to my user experience.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share, I am still looking forward to the iPhone 5 to have another new toy once I get bored with the S3 :P

nooaah
Jun 23, 2012, 04:18 AM
IPhone is better. Why? Cus I said so! All you fan boy android nerds need a reality check

Isn't this the same argument being thrown the other way? I've been called a "sheep" in the same night for liking my iPhone and buying an s3. At some point people need to respect others' preferences and acknowledge valid positives for all products. It's just unproductive to call iOS users sheep and android users cheap nerds.

I just don't see adults in adult settings chirping at each other over this stuff.

----------

It took me 3 years to realize that android is horrible software. It was the iOS ecosystem and user experience that made me change. Over the last 4 months I realized android was one big waste of time.

And that's your personal preference. You shouldn't be insulted for stating your opinion and vice versa.

matttye
Jun 23, 2012, 04:42 AM

Can I ask; have you used ice cream sandwich on a fairly recent flagship android phone?

The reason I ask is that the last time I used iOS before I got my iPad 2 with iOS 5 was when it didn't even have copy and paste, multitasking etc. That didn't stop me buying an iPad and I didn't form the opinion that iOS5 must be bad just because previous versions were.

I also think you have to use a flagship device to compare with the iPhone. Apple doesn't sell an iPhone lite with inferior specs, but if it did it would be like comparing the latest Androids to the iPhone lite. There would be no contest.

Picka
Jun 23, 2012, 05:12 AM
The battery life on the S3 is amazing.

Can't believe the day would arrive when an Android phone with a 4.7" screen would have better battery life than an iPhone with a 3.5" screen.

Amazing to think that only last year people here where banging about battery life superiority on the iPhone. It's like every little thing that Apple used to do better is being taken over by Android and improved upon.

Twixt
Jun 23, 2012, 05:24 AM

I now understand why facebook overpaid Instagram by a ratio of 10...

Certinfy
Jun 23, 2012, 06:16 AM
Certinfy, can you do me a favor? A real quick comparison for me, seeing that you have both the SIII and iPhone 4S in your possession.

I'd really like to know how the whites compare in these two devices at max brightness in the web browser. It appears I'll have to wait another week to see this for myself here in the States.

Ideally I'd like for you to set the brightness at max on both devices and disable auto brightness. Then pull up Google.com on both and see for yourself. Technically the 4S screen should be much brighter given the stats posted by Anandtech (and CNET keeps bringing this fact up too). However I keep seeing what appears to be impressive whites on some HD SIII YouTube review vids.

If you elect to do this for me, and choose to use the stock SIII browser, keep in mind that (strangely) the brightness setting for said browser is separate then the device itself. You can find it once you hit Menu with the stock browser open and then Display. Uncheck Auto and choose the Default level, not the other 3.

Getting ahead of myself. That's if you elect to do this for me. Thanks in advance!
Just did this now. Put both phones on maximum brightness (with both the web browser and system settings on the SGS3) and the iPhone 4S is most definitely brighter, quite a big difference actually.

matttye
Jun 23, 2012, 06:25 AM
Just did this now. Put both phones on maximum brightness (with both the web browser and system settings on the SGS3) and the iPhone 4S is most definitely brighter, quite a big difference actually.

*never mind I'm being silly*

Certinfy
Jun 23, 2012, 06:31 AM
*never mind I'm being silly*
?

Took a picture of the difference on my PS Vita (all I really had to take a picture with) and it looks worse than it actually is but you can still definitely see a big difference.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2vnexw3.jpg

matttye
Jun 23, 2012, 06:32 AM
?

Took a picture of the difference on my PS Vita (all I really had to take a picture with) and it looks worse than it actually is but you can still definitely see a big difference.

Image (http://i45.tinypic.com/2vnexw3.jpg)

I asked if you were aware there was a separate brightness setting in the browser then realised you'd already mentioned it :p

Certinfy
Jun 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
I asked if you were aware there was a separate brightness setting in the browser then realised you'd already mentioned it :p
Oh okay. :p

blairh
Jun 23, 2012, 07:26 AM
?

Thanks so much for doing this and snapping a pic!!!

Does this difference bother you? I spend a lot of time reading articles on my iPhone and I'm not sure I can stomach such a dim/blue background.

Certinfy
Jun 23, 2012, 07:32 AM

Does this difference bother you? I spend a lot of time reading articles on my iPhone and I'm not sure I can stomach such a dim/blue background.
No worries. :)

Well to be honest I didn't really notice it that much until you pointed it out and checked for myself. Besides that though the screen on the Galaxy S3 is pretty much superior in every way so it's a small price to pay, saying that though I don't read articles on my phone a lot so it's not a big issue for me. But yes, since you do spend a lot of time reading articles it probably will bother you. :(

matttye
Jun 23, 2012, 07:49 AM

Try one out and see. My screen has a cool tint (which I prefer to warm) and I read in Kindle a lot. It doesn't bother me.

You can change the screen type between a few different styles and it changes the way colours are rendered.

blairh
Jun 23, 2012, 07:56 AM
Try one out and see. My screen has a cool tint (which I prefer to warm) and I read in Kindle a lot. It doesn't bother me.

You can change the screen type between a few different styles and it changes the way colours are rendered.

Thanks to both of you. I'll demo one as soon as I can and report back. Cheers.

sentinelsx
Jun 23, 2012, 10:21 AM

While there are tons of quality productive apps on iOS, your examples are not worth sticking to a platform.

Instagram is a glorified effects app with some social stuff thrown in. Big deal to same people who spend hours on facebook each day. I never cared for it even though i have owned an iPhone for 3 years now. Not a productivity thing at all.

Flipboard has competitors such as pulse, currents and more on both iOS and android. Just because it has a certain layout doesn't mean people are losing out. In fact i got turned off from it and decided to un install it.

As for games, street fighter on touch controls = yuck. I am happier with my PS3 and Xbox 360. More than 10 mins playing a 3D game on a touch screen and i might as well start pulling my hair out. Although almost all of them are available on android too now. Casual is where it's at for pure touch gaming and both platforms deliver in that case too.

Frankied22
Jun 23, 2012, 10:30 AM
Instagram and Flipboars are both on Android now...

Technarchy
Jun 23, 2012, 10:43 AM
Instagram and Flipboars are both on Android now...

Tunnel vision is a terrible thing.

They were just examples of the larger android problem of poor support or no support from developers. Unless you think iOS apps trickling out to android years later is a good thing.

And to the next fool that says they would rather play games on an Xbox 360 than mobile....well no durr Captain Obvious. Mobile gaming since the Gameboy has always been a massive compromise compared to the dedicated console experience. It always will be, but the fact is iOS is still the best in providing better gaming content.

Timzer
Jun 23, 2012, 11:12 AM

Just to give you some more info. The GS3 has another function called inverted rendering. Takes the white background and makes it pure black like only an amoled screen can, and the letters white. Gives a much better reading experience. But also adds to the already amazing battery life.

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdPLYujV000) an example at 1:30 in the video.

sentinelsx
Jun 23, 2012, 11:12 AM

They were just examples of the larger android problem of poor support or no support from developers. Unless you think iOS apps trickling out to android years later is a good thing.

And to the next fool that says they would rather play games on an Xbox 360 than mobile....well no durr Captain Obvious. Mobile gaming since the Gameboy has always been a massive compromise compared to the dedicated console experience. It always will be, but the fact is iOS is still the best in providing better gaming content.

Does it even matter when you just contradicted it by saying it is a compromise? If you replace the steering wheel with just a one hand joystick but boast that the car has great performance, it is worth sticking to it just because of the performance?

I like how some of you fanboys get so offended. Already down to the name calling eh. Maybe drink some water to cool down your nerves.

And if apps are oh so great, tell it to the 90% user base i always see using facebook and camera on their iPhones and nothing else. In fact polls on macrumors suggest most people rarely use over 10 -15 apps on even a weekly basis continuously. And as i already mentioned, i didn't see how not using instagram or flipboard on my idevice is causing me to lose out. I am platform agnostic and these petty "ecosystem" dribbles are funny from some. They are just communication and entertainment devices and each one does it well. Most of the other things are really time wasters with which many people attach in a sentimental way.

I wonder how mankind survived prior to the mighty iPhone.

mbell1975
Jun 23, 2012, 11:13 AM

meh. I have had all 3 iPads since their launch days and a 4s for awhile with my Android phones. There is not a single app I have on my iPad I sit around and pout cause it's not on my Android phone. All of the important ones like Netflix, Tweetcaster, Facebook app etc..have been available for both platforms.

Vegastouch
Jun 23, 2012, 11:26 AM

3 years takes you back pretty much to the Donut software. Android didnt start really getting good till Froyo imo. Now with ICS it is great and only going to get better. I opted NOT to get the G1 because i didnt like it or the software at the time and stuck with my iPhone. Now...w/ ICS and the S3, One X, RAZR Maxx and a few others.... i think you got out too early.

iOS is a good software and all. I guess its just what you like in the OS that determines what someone likes. iOS just doesnt do for me out of the box what Android does. IMO Apple is still catching up and falling behind more every 6 months.

I used to jailbreak but it is a pain to keep up with all those things and wait to see what is compatible with what phone and system and have to wait for the dev team of three people to get it out. Rooting and doing anything in that regard is much easier and faster and they have devs all over if you want to go in that direction but with ICS, i doubt ill use custom ROMs but i will still Root the phone to use Titanium Backup.

As for the Apps, i dont agree iPhone users are more happier because of that. I think Android users are fine with the Apps they get.

----------

I thought it would be interesting to do a comparison of the features I most care about on my phone. I have had the lastest iPhones for the past 4 years, but was curious to see whether I'd like the S3, so I bought one and used it for the last 2 weeks. As of right now, I couldn't say which one is better, but I have to say I am incredibly happy about the S3, if only for the reason that it will keep Apple on their toes and force them to make a better iPhone 5 :)

Here's what matters to me in a phone and which phone (in my opinion) wins (iPhone 4S running iOS6 beta vs Galaxy S3):

- Size & weight: S3 (I really like the way it feels in my hand, don't mind the plastic, after all my iPhone has got plastic case! S3 screen is really amazing)
- Battery life: S3 (better by about 30%)
- Email client: iPhone (standard iOS mail app renders emails way better than any Android/Gmail mail app I have tried)
- Browser: S3 (Loooove Chrome beta on Android)
- Keyboard: iPhone (don't like S3's autocorrect, and I keep hitting the menu button because of the way I hold the phone when typing with 2 thumbs)
- Camera: iPhone
- Music player: using Spotify on both, and couldn't tell the difference in sound quality
- Apps: probably iPhone, not all apps I use are available on Google Play, and in most cases are better implemented in iPhone version
- Maps: like both versions (comparing new maps of iOS 6 with Google maps)

I also have an iPad that I use for gaming, reading and watching videos, so won't compare those.

As of right now, I like using the S3 a little bit better, maybe it's just because it's new to me, although the screen size and weight make a big difference to my user experience.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share, I am still looking forward to the iPhone 5 to have another new toy once I get bored with the S3 :P

There are so many keyboards to try, i cant see how iPhone would get the nod here. Swiftkey and slideit, betterkeyboard, etc, etc..... Just tells me you havent tried any others. And Spotify now has 320 rated files for songs. I just dont really care for Spotify though. I put my music on my microcard and use a good player to listen to it. I prefer it that way to a music program.

Vegastouch
Jun 23, 2012, 11:39 AM
While there are tons of quality productive apps on iOS, your examples are not worth sticking to a platform.

Instagram is a glorified effects app with some social stuff thrown in. Big deal to same people who spend hours on facebook each day. I never cared for it even though i have owned an iPhone for 3 years now. Not a productivity thing at all.

Flipboard has competitors such as pulse, currents and more on both iOS and android. Just because it has a certain layout doesn't mean people are losing out. In fact i got turned off from it and decided to un install it.

As for games, street fighter on touch controls = yuck. I am happier with my PS3 and Xbox 360. More than 10 mins playing a 3D game on a touch screen and i might as well start pulling my hair out. Although almost all of them are available on android too now. Casual is where it's at for pure touch gaming and both platforms deliver in that case too.

Pulse is awesome.

blairh
Jun 23, 2012, 01:21 PM
Just to give you some more info. The GS3 has another function called inverted rendering. Takes the white background and makes it pure black like only an amoled screen can, and the letters white. Gives a much better reading experience. But also adds to the already amazing battery life.

Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdPLYujV000) an example at 1:30 in the video.

Can't knock something until you try it, but I don't think that's a solution for me. I've never really been a fan of black backgrounds and white text. I mean, maybe I'll try it during the demo, but I think the only solution is a superior white background for me.

I think IPS is a superior tech for a smartphone screen versus Amoled. I think most people spend a lot more time reading articles on websites versus watching videos and playing games. Again, most, not all.

mbell1975
Jun 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Can't knock something until you try it, but I don't think that's a solution for me. I've never really been a fan of black backgrounds and white text. I mean, maybe I'll try it during the demo, but I think the only solution is a superior white background for me.

I think IPS is a superior tech for a smartphone screen versus Amoled. I think most people spend a lot more time reading articles on websites versus watching videos and playing games. Again, most, not all.

The blueish tint is what you have to live with on a Super Amoled screen. Doesn't bother most people.

chiefpavvy
Jun 23, 2012, 02:37 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. Apparently the Google Goggles are pretty dark tinted for some.

LSUtigers03
Jun 23, 2012, 02:56 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. Apparently the Google Goggles are pretty dark tinted for some.

They gotta be dark tinted or else woman would see me staring at them.

nooaah
Jun 23, 2012, 03:03 PM
So, is this phone actually $800 unlocked or is Best Buy's site wonky? I have to buy out of contract but not for that much...

Dunbar
Jun 23, 2012, 03:14 PM
So, is this phone actually $800 unlocked or is Best Buy's site wonky? I have to buy out of contract but not for that much...

My 32GB Verizon model had a retail price of $649. I believe the 16GB version is $599. California charges sales tax at the retail price for subsidized phones :(

nooaah
Jun 23, 2012, 03:47 PM
My 32GB Verizon model had a retail price of $649. I believe the 16GB version is $599. California charges sales tax at the retail price for subsidized phones :(

What the hell's with BB? The 16GB is $700 there for the AT&T version so I assume VZW would be similar. I have $200 in rewards coupons so it'll still be cheaper than buying direct from VZW but I don't get the huge difference for the same product. #$%#@@

lordofthereef
Jun 23, 2012, 03:55 PM
What the hell's with BB? The 16GB is $700 there for the AT&T version so I assume VZW would be similar. I have $200 in rewards coupons so it'll still be cheaper than buying direct from VZW but I don't get the huge difference for the same product. #$%#@@

It's $549 directly from AT&T as well. I assume BB = Best Buy? If so, go in and tell them to look up AT&T's price (assuming you have an AT&T close by). if so, they will honor it. I believe they require the AT&T to be in the same town as the Best Buy. Even so, for a $150 savings that might be worth a bit of travel, depending.

Frankied22
Jun 23, 2012, 03:58 PM
Best Buy should price match AT&Ts price.

Vegastouch
Jun 23, 2012, 04:06 PM
The blueishi tint is what you have to live with on a Super Amoled screen. Doesn't bother most people.
Yeah, you wont even notice it till you put it next to another non superamoled screen. I dont even have my brightness up all the way and its fine to read things. Im at about halfway up with the brightness.

matttye
Jun 23, 2012, 04:08 PM

Paid 500 ($779) for mine - it's worth it if you can afford it. :D

Exio
Jun 23, 2012, 04:12 PM
There is something inherently wrong and dull-witted about your retort. Using your very same argument, your assertions break down quickly when speaking about android.

Image (http://photos.appleinsider.com/asustab.004.jpg)

And apps is what makes or breaks a smart device. There is a reason android tablet sales languish. The dedicated app selection is pathetic.

Android phones are slightly better, but developers still give iOS the lions share of their support, which results in much happier, more satisfied iOS users compared to android users.

It's funny because he was not talking at all about the design of the phone itself, more about the actual software. :rolleyes:

Sensamic
Jun 23, 2012, 04:26 PM
Its great that many things I could only get with jailbreak (many not even available there) are available stock on TouchWiz.

For example: multi icon mover. I can move any amount of icons to a folder in just one move, and not many like in iOS.

You know what else I did today? I found an app to download torrents named Ttorrent. I downloaded some movie trailers directly to the SD card. The speed was 250kbps. And I was downloading all this stuff on the background thanks to the true multitasking.

Awesome.

Also, I notice that notifications are faster and in real time. And I downloaded some new cool live wallpapers like thunder storm and Koi.

nooaah
Jun 23, 2012, 04:46 PM

It's $549 directly from AT&T as well. I assume BB = Best Buy? If so, go in and tell them to look up AT&T's price (assuming you have an AT&T close by). if so, they will honor it. I believe they require the AT&T to be in the same town as the Best Buy. Even so, for a $150 savings that might be worth a bit of travel, depending.

Forgot about price matching. Thank you, sir! $349 is definitely affordable (with my reward dollars included). And considering I'm lazy and still have a 3GS, 4, and GSM 4S 64GB laying around, this should be more than doable if I actually bother selling them haha.

chiefpavvy
Jun 23, 2012, 04:48 PM
Best Buy price matching can be hit or miss. Depends on the manager and if you enjoy arguing :D

nooaah
Jun 23, 2012, 04:54 PM
Best Buy price matching can be hit or miss. Depends on the manager and if you enjoy arguing :D

I've spent over $10,000 there since April. If they don't want to give on $150 I'll just take my business elsewhere. I'm sure they'd understand haha.

lordofthereef
Jun 23, 2012, 04:56 PM
I've spent over $10,000 there since April. If they don't want to give on $150 I'll just take my business elsewhere. I'm sure they'd understand haha.

I'd be shocked if they didn't (regardless of how much you've spent there). It's their standard policy.

LSUtigers03
Jun 23, 2012, 05:15 PM
I'd be shocked if they didn't (regardless of how much you've spent there). It's their standard policy.

I tried to get them to match at&t's price on the inspire last year and they wouldn't. Are you sure it's a standard policy and not up to the manager?

chiefpavvy
Jun 23, 2012, 05:30 PM
I tried to get them to match at&t's price on the inspire last year and they wouldn't. Are you sure it's a standard policy and not up to the manager?

Manager always has discretion.

Technarchy
Jun 23, 2012, 05:40 PM
?

This is no small problem. I say this as a person whose last 3 phones prior to the iPhone had AMOLED displays.

AMOLED displays are very dim, and if you turn up the brightness you end up with bloom, bleed and massive power drain unless you are staring at anything other than an all black screen.

Also, the bluish hue to everything is something I regard as unpleasant, if for no reason other than it exacerbates the dim nature of AMOLED tech. It's even worse on raw ICS or gingerbread because the overall theme is based on blacks and dark blues.

ndpuckhead
Jun 23, 2012, 10:51 PM
Man, this thread has my head spinning. I want to get a new phone by the 28th to keep unlimited data. I currently have the droid2 and have no complaint except for the crappy camera. I got it before iPhone came out for Verizon. I am heading to Verizon on Monday and I was originally going to get the iphone4.however, after reading this thread and doing some research online, I'm really leaning towards the S3. I love my MacBook pro and wouldn't think of going back to pc. My biggest issue is that I can't wait for the iphone5 to come out, so if I go iPhone now, I would really be buying an outdated phone. With the S3, I'd be getting the latest stuff as well as 4g, which I couldn't get with the iPhone. I also like the bigger screen, but am worried it would be hard to fit in my pocket with a case on it. Any thoughts?

blairh
Jun 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
This is no small problem. I say this as a person whose last 3 phones prior to the iPhone had AMOLED displays.

AMOLED displays are very dim, and if you turn up the brightness you end up with bloom, bleed and massive power drain unless you are staring at anything other than an all black screen.

Also, the bluish hue to everything is something I regard as unpleasant, if for no reason other than it exacerbates the dim nature of AMOLED tech. It's even worse on raw ICS or gingerbread because the overall theme is based on blacks and dark blues.

Thank you for saying this. I haven't seen the SIII in person just yet, but it amazes me that this issue didn't get brought up in professional reviews until CNET and a couple other major sites mentioned it.

Even though I do see a slight bluish hue on my iPhone 4 screen, it appears to be nothing compared to what the SIII produces with respect to bluish whites. Also appears to be a somewhat dim screen too.

I'll reserve judgement of course until later this week, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the universally praised One X screen is IPS.

LG is launching a device in Europe this week called the Optimus 4X HD. ICS and an IPS screen. No idea if or when it's coming to the states but it's mighty impressive in video reviews.

DanteMann
Jun 24, 2012, 12:39 AM

Your FUD about Samsung is always a great laugh.
Bottom line is if the display was so horrible, EVERYONE would be calling it out. So many have complained about the Iphone 4/4S cool/warm screens, bleeding, yellow tint, etc... Should we just say the LG display sucks? :rolleyes:
The Galaxy S line has to put up with a whole lot of competition in the Android world, and there is a very good reason why it has come out as THE LEADING Android phone.

From GSM ARENA: Sunlight legibility is splendid too - the HD Super AMOLED isn't the brightest around, but its reflectivity is so low that even outside in the brightest day, you'll still be able to see what's on the screen quite clearly. As a matter of fact, the Galaxy S III managed to top our sunlight legibility charts.

Funkymonk
Jun 24, 2012, 01:13 AM
It's a year old phone vs a brand spanking new one. Of course gs3 would be better. Would be more fair to pit it against the next iPhone.

0m3ga
Jun 24, 2012, 01:19 AM
I have the S3 and have been playing with it for a few days. Downloaded Nova Launcher for it and made my own custom theme.

I can confirmyou can see it outside in sun, but I'd say it is about the same as the iP4 in viewability.

And anyone knocking this screen needs their eyesight checked. You would struckle with a magnifying glass to see the pixels. 306ppi for a 4.8" screen is pretty damn good.

Picture quality is slightly better than the iP4, but being able to alter camera settings, plus being able to take photo's while taking a video is a nice touch.

This is by far one of the best phones ever made.

mbell1975
Jun 24, 2012, 02:21 AM
It's a year old phone vs a brand spanking new one. Of course gs3 would be better. Would be more fair to pit it against the next iPhone.

Wrong, it's only 8 months old. By the time the new iPhone is out, the S3 will be going on 6 months old but should still be the better device.

nickchallis92
Jun 24, 2012, 05:57 AM

That's strange, you were all happy comparing the iPhone 4s to the galaxy s2, but when a new iPhone is compared to an older galaxy device, that's totally acceptable...

matttye
Jun 24, 2012, 06:03 AM

Screen looks great to me and it's incredibly clear in the daylight/sunlight.

As to whether people prefer cool or warm hues, it's highly subjective. Personally I prefer a cool hue and that's what you get with AMOLED.

As for the screen being dim; I never use my phone at full brightness unless I'm outside as it gives me a headache. The fact that the screen is dimmer makes no difference to the daylight legibility.

All in all the dimness of the screen isn't a problem at all for most people.

depths
Jun 24, 2012, 06:20 AM
I use mine at 50% brightness max, usually around 25% (nexus).

For those that haven't used android recently, there's a lot of very simple ways to adjust screen temp and gamma so the 'tint' really isn't an issue.

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 06:26 AM
got mine yesterday, sold mine yesterday.

cool phone but hot damn that back is gaudy.

nooaah
Jun 24, 2012, 07:32 AM
got mine yesterday, sold mine yesterday.

cool phone but hot damn that back is gaudy.

Gaudy?? Can you elaborate?

alphaod
Jun 24, 2012, 07:45 AM

It's smooth plastic. Not a big fan out it myself.

First thing I did was find a good back film to make it more matte.

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 08:05 AM

in low light (lol. i know) the color is very nice. Its a very deep shade of blue. Once you get into sunlight or anywhere thats lit up in general, while the front still looks really nice, the back becomes a mirror. It doesn't help that the battery cover has a brushed look when its really plastic.

TO ME, 80% of what makes it gaudy (again to me) is the reflective look of the back, the other 20% is the design they chose to use, which is brushed aluminium when its plastic. hyperglaze ftw.

edit:
@nooaah, if you're looking to get the pebble blue sgs. I recommend you take alphaods advice. Finding a nice matte back film will def help with the overall look of the device.

matttye
Jun 24, 2012, 08:12 AM
in low light (lol. i know) the color is very nice. Its a very deep shade of blue. Once you get into sunlight or anywhere thats lit up in general, while the front still looks really nice, the back becomes a mirror. It doesn't help that the battery cover has a brushed look when its really plastic.

TO ME, 80% of what makes it gaudy (again to me) is the reflective look of the back, the other 20% is the design they chose to use, which is brushed aluminium when its plastic. hyperglaze ftw.

edit:
@nooaah, if you're looking to get the pebble blue sgs. I recommend you take alphaods advice. Finding a nice matte back film will def help with the overall look of the device.

How often do you look at the back of the phone?!

It battles me that some people would return it for such a strange reason. :confused:

wayneholbrook
Jun 24, 2012, 08:12 AM
Let me first start off by saying I've had every iPhone since the start, but every time a great new device comes out I'm always willing to try it. I pre-ordered my G3 through AT&T and got mine on the 21st. As with the Skyrocket and all of Samsungs products, it was plastic and felt cheap from the get go. The screen look great but the phone was just a tad to big for one handed operations and to throw in my pocket.

With that said the OS is still not even close to the iPhone. I've been using the beta iOS6 on my iPhone for the past week and to compare Andriod to iOS is still no compatition. I know some of you will be screaming and yelling saying the apple to locked down and you want more customization. Well you can have it, I want simplicity and I want my device to work without having it freeze or having to re-start it all the time. With iOS6, it just got even better. I can't wait for the next generation of the iPhone I'm sure within the next 60 days.

My G3 was sent back. It was barely a thought.

ipodlover77
Jun 24, 2012, 08:18 AM
How often do you look at the back of the phone?!

It battles me that some people would return it for such a strange reason. :confused:

Oh. I didn't return the phone because of that. That would be just silly. I just pointed out a design decision that really stood out to me.

I returned the phone because i need imessage. me and the significant other send each other videos of our dogs and only imessage can send them in HD. kakao/chatnow etc is a bit clunky in the video sending department.

imessage is VERY important to me. Coupled with the fact that macs have it now, an android phone would have to be mind blowing to pull me away from iOS. Thats not saying that the SGS3 was bad. It just wasn't for me. :)

nooaah
Jun 24, 2012, 08:55 AM

edit:

Ah, got it. I'm getting the white version. Very slick looking, IMO. Thanks for clarifying!

matttye
Jun 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
Oh. I didn't return the phone because of that. That would be just silly. I just pointed out a design decision that really stood out to me.

I returned the phone because i need imessage. me and the significant other send each other videos of our dogs and only imessage can send them in HD. kakao/chatnow etc is a bit clunky in the video sending department.

imessage is VERY important to me. Coupled with the fact that macs have it now, an android phone would have to be mind blowing to pull me away from iOS. Thats not saying that the SGS3 was bad. It just wasn't for me. :)

Ahh fair enough, that's a more valid reason :P (even though all reasons are technically "valid")

I too use iMessage extensively (the mrs and I both have iPads). I just wish Apple would take Google's approach of making their stuff work on most platforms!

The closest equivalent of iMessage, Google Talk, just isn't the same because you have to remain logged in. :(

I would use Whatsapp if it was on iOS.

Timzer
Jun 24, 2012, 09:18 AM

You bought it yesterday and returned it yesterday? HAHAHAAAA. Tell me another one. So let's get this straight, You bought it, realized it didn't have iMessage so returned it. You had to buy it first to figure this out? iMessage was so important to you, you decided to buy an non Apple device, knowing full well only iOS has iMessage. Yup! Sounds believable to me. It never ceases to amaze me how so many blind followers will try to discourage others by coming up with stories like this. Then you go on to bash the look of the phone which you would have already seen BEFORE you supposedly bought this phone. Good Grief, when will this insecurity stop.