PDA

View Full Version : MakeMKV and Handbrake Subtitles only during foreign languages?

jnick
May 14, 2012, 08:02 AM
I'm having a bit of trouble figuring this one out. I do NOT want subtitles in my movies. I find them completely distracting. However, there are certain movies to where a piece of the movie is in a foreign language and thus subtitles are required to follow the dialog. For instance, MI:4, Taken, Avatar, etc.

Is there a way to only have the subtitles in the movie during these parts of foreign dialect vs having subtitles throughout the entire movie?

Thanks!

NightStorm
May 14, 2012, 08:51 AM
I'm having a bit of trouble figuring this one out. I do NOT want subtitles in my movies. I find them completely distracting. However, there are certain movies to where a piece of the movie is in a foreign language and thus subtitles are required to follow the dialog. For instance, MI:4, Taken, Avatar, etc.

Is there a way to only have the subtitles in the movie during these parts of foreign dialect vs having subtitles throughout the entire movie?

Thanks!

Assuming you mean from Blurays, PGS subtitle support was recently added to Handbrake and is available in the nightly build (download link in the Handbrake forums -- http://forum.handbrake.fr). You can use MakeMKV to extract the subtitle streams, and then have Handbrake identify and burn in only the foreign audio portions (as it has done with DVDs in the past).

blevins321
May 14, 2012, 12:17 PM
+1 to above. It works really well from what I've noticed. I did the Hunt for Red October and it had the Russian at the beginning done nicely. Maintains the special fonts that the movies use too; so they're stylized. HERE (https://build.handbrake.fr/)is a slightly easier link that goes directly to the nightly list.

dynaflash
May 14, 2012, 12:40 PM
Note recent fixes in foreign language detection (meaning as of today) https://trac.handbrake.fr/timeline

jnick
May 14, 2012, 01:05 PM
Ah, you guys are awesome! Thanks!!

GarrettL1979
May 14, 2012, 01:19 PM
Sounds like a new nightly build w/fixes is coming out tomorrow.

jnick
May 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
Playing around with the Subtitle feature, do I need an SRT to have Handbrake deal with subtitles? There is no way it can auto-detect the subtitles housed in the mkv?

rayward
May 14, 2012, 01:41 PM
Note recent fixes in foreign language detection (meaning as of today) https://trac.handbrake.fr/timeline

In a strange, masochistic kind of way, I almost miss the time when this was not in HB. I had finally got down the workflow of how to extract, convert and remux subs into a BD rip. And now, it's a couple clicks in HB.

There's something wholly unsatisfying about the process now.

:rolleyes:

----------

Playing around with the Subtitle feature, do I need an SRT to have Handbrake deal with subtitles? There is no way it can auto-detect the subtitles housed in the mkv?

When you rip the BD, you select which subtitle tracks you want also to rip. HB can see the tracks and figure out which one is the full subtitle track, and which is limited to certain dialog only - which, presumably, is the non-English subs only.

dynaflash
May 14, 2012, 04:13 PM
In a strange, masochistic kind of way, I almost miss the time when this was not in HB. I had finally got down the workflow of how to extract, convert and remux subs into a BD rip. And now, it's a couple clicks in HB.

There's something wholly unsatisfying about the process now.

:rolleyes:

Nothing keeping you from using your old setup ;) .

jnick
May 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
So I ripped Avatar with MakeMKV and am running the nightly of Handbrake as of 5 minutes ago. When I import the movie to handbrake, I go to the Subtitle tab, hit "Add" and this is what I see:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/jnick1/avatarsub.jpg

What do I do from here to get the movie to display subtitles only when they speak non-English?

Thanks!

blevins321
May 15, 2012, 09:37 AM
So I ripped Avatar with MakeMKV and am running the nightly of Handbrake as of 5 minutes ago. When I import the movie to handbrake, I go to the Subtitle tab, hit "Add" and this is what I see:

Image (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/jnick1/avatarsub.jpg)

What do I do from here to get the movie to display subtitles only when they speak non-English?

Thanks!

On work computer that blocks Photobucket. But you'd select the one that says English, then check the boxes "Forced" and "Burn In". The forced-only are the ones that are actually a translation of a different language.

jnick
May 15, 2012, 10:37 PM
The subtitles in Avatar worked like a charm...Thanks!!!

Krad3130
Sep 29, 2012, 08:15 PM
I tried this but my movie is not showing any subtitles on my appleTV? Not sure what I am doing wrong. I had both of those boxes checked...

mic j
Oct 1, 2012, 12:45 PM
I tried this but my movie is not showing any subtitles on my appleTV? Not sure what I am doing wrong. I had both of those boxes checked...
What movie, what format (dvd or bluray), what type of input (mkv, iso, direct from disc), what Handbrake build?

Anthropogenesis
Oct 3, 2012, 09:42 AM
Maybe I am doing something wrong, but I ripped a Blu Ray to MKV and when I open subtitles in HandBrake I see foreign audio search and then 8 different English PGS options.

I opened the MKV movie in VLC and identified which track was the one that was needed, (it was Star Wars and there are a few scenes that use subtitles for characters like Jabba). So I tried burning that track into the HB rip, and I got subtitles for the whole movie.

Anyone run into a similar issue?

Krad3130
Oct 3, 2012, 08:00 PM
What movie, what format (dvd or bluray), what type of input (mkv, iso, direct from disc), what Handbrake build?

Avengers, Bluray, mkv, handbrake version 0.9.8 x86_64

mic j
Oct 4, 2012, 09:25 AM
Avengers, Bluray, mkv, handbrake version 0.9.8 x86_64

You have to use a Handbrake nightly for bluray (PGS) subtitles. The stable release version does not yet have that capability incorporated into the release.

Krad3130
Oct 4, 2012, 08:03 PM
You have to use a Handbrake nightly for bluray (PGS) subtitles. The stable release version does not yet have that capability incorporated into the release.

Since I don't know much (anything) about the nightly builds I will probably just wait until the regular downloaded version will have this capability. I really do want to have my forced subtitles in my BD rips but I am finding this to be a little more time consuming then I originally thought. I want the easiest way to add subtitles for scenes playing foreign language...didn't realize it would take so long to do.

Thank you all for your help!

Menneisyys2
Oct 5, 2012, 07:24 AM
Since I don't know much (anything) about the nightly builds I will probably just wait until the regular downloaded version will have this capability.

These nightlies are REALLY easy to install and are REALLY recommended. Please see my just-published tutorial at http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15968532&postcount=61 .

rayward
Oct 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
Since I don't know much (anything) about the nightly builds I will probably just wait until the regular downloaded version will have this capability. I really do want to have my forced subtitles in my BD rips but I am finding this to be a little more time consuming then I originally thought. I want the easiest way to add subtitles for scenes playing foreign language...didn't realize it would take so long to do.

Thank you all for your help!

Here's how I got the non-English dialog subtitles to work in The Avengers. It's a handy fallback workflow (all-Mac) for the few occasions when HB's foreign language detection misses the forced subtitle track:

- Rip the movie with MakeMKV, including all the English subtitle tracks*
- Extract the subtitle tracks from your rip using MKVTools
- Load the subtitle tracks one at a time into BDSup2Sub, and review them to see which is the forced-only track
- Export the forced-only subtitle track
- Open your rip in MKVMerge, uncheck all the subtitle tracks, "Add" your newly exported .idx track and remux
- Load your remuxed movie into HB and, on the Subtitle tab, select the only subtitle track and check "Burned in". Do not check "forced only".
- Encode away and enjoy your movie

* If you go to MakeMKV's settings, you can set English as your language preference. Then it will automatically select all the English subs and deselect all the others.

mic j
Oct 29, 2012, 11:29 AM
Here's how I got the non-English dialog subtitles to work in The Avengers. It's a handy fallback workflow (all-Mac) for the few occasions when HB's foreign language detection misses the forced subtitle track:

- Rip the movie with MakeMKV, including all the English subtitle tracks*
- Extract the subtitle tracks from your rip using MKVTools
- Load the subtitle tracks one at a time into BDSup2Sub, and review them to see which is the forced-only track
- Export the forced-only subtitle track
- Open your rip in MKVMerge, uncheck all the subtitle tracks, "Add" your newly exported .idx track and remux
- Load your remuxed movie into HB and, on the Subtitle tab, select the only subtitle track and check "Burned in". Do not check "forced only".
- Encode away and enjoy your movie

* If you go to MakeMKV's settings, you can set English as your language preference. Then it will automatically select all the English subs and deselect all the others.
I'm wondering why you would do it this way (many steps) vs downloading the HB nightly and letting it burn in forced subs automatically?

I did that and it worked just fine.

rayward
Oct 29, 2012, 11:45 AM
I'm wondering why you would do it this way (many steps) vs downloading the HB nightly and letting it burn in forced subs automatically?

I didn't work for me. For most movies, I find that HB picks up and burns in the forced subs. For The Avengers it didn't, so I reverted to my old workflow to get it done.

Richdmoore
Oct 29, 2012, 11:53 AM

I just used handbrake with the Avengers and it worked fine as well. I think I just selected foreign audio search, but I am not 100% sure as this was several weeks ago.

My typical method (DVD or Bluray) is to play a disc on a real Bluray/DVD player, and note the title number, runtime, audio track number, subtitle track number (or off) and any angle number. Then I rip the correct title/angle Bluray/DVD to an iso file(including any English audio& subtitles)

I then go into handbrake. I choose the apple TV preset. I ensure the correct audio is selected, and then I then go to the subtitle page. If a subtitle track was selected when I originally played the DVD/Bluray, I simply select that one and ensure the burn in box is selected. If no subtitle track was selected, I choose foreign audio search.

For the Advengers, to check to see if subtitles were included, they are in the 2nd or 3rd chapter where the lady is tied up and talking to her Russian "captor"

EDIT: Thinking some more, the subs might have been in English track 2 or 3.

mic j
Oct 29, 2012, 12:00 PM
I just used handbrake with the Avengers and it worked fine as well. I think I just selected foreign audio search, but I am not 100% sure as this was several weeks ago.

My typical method (DVD or Bluray) is to play a disc on a real Bluray/DVD player, and note the title number, runtime, audio track number, subtitle track number (or off) and any angle number. Then I rip the correct title/angle Bluray/DVD to an iso file(including any English audio& subtitles)

I then go into handbrake. I choose the apple TV preset. I ensure the correct audio is selected, and then I then go to the subtitle page. If a subtitle track was selected when I originally played the DVD/Bluray, I simply select that one and ensure the burn in box is selected. If no subtitle track was selected, I choose foreign audio search.

For the Advengers, to check to see if subtitles were included, they are in the 2nd or 3rd chapter where the lady is tied up and talking to her Russian "captor"
I rip with MakeMKV and keep all english subtitles. Download HB nightly, choose Foreign Audio Search. Worked for me and I just went back to check. Forced sub is at 12:13.

But it's good to have an alternate approach with the Foreign Audio Search method misses something.

Richdmoore
Oct 29, 2012, 12:29 PM
I rip with MakeMKV and keep all english subtitles. Download HB nightly, choose Foreign Audio Search. Worked for me and I just went back to check. Forced sub is at 12:13.

But it's good to have an alternate approach with the Foreign Audio Search method misses something.

Yes, it is more difficult because the necessary mandatory subtitles can be either: burned into the movie picture, set a separate track containing only the foreign parts, or included into the full subtitle stream but marked with a forced flag when that part is suppose to be displayed.

My understanding is that handbrake using foreign audio search will fail if the subtitle is in a separate track, and NOT marked as forced. That is why I routinely play the disc first to see if a subtitle track is selected on a real DVD/Bluray.

There is a spreadsheet for some movies online showing which subtitle method various movies use, but it is far from complete. Here it is however for those who are interested. https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=t8Xb85eyNFtZ3vaNK8gqkbQ&single=true&gid=0&output=html

rayward
Oct 29, 2012, 12:33 PM
My understanding is that handbrake using foreign audio search will fail if the subtitle is in a separate track, and NOT marked as forced.

I think this is right. HB looks for a subtitle track that is significantly smaller than the others. Maybe I have an older nightly build than you and mic j, which is why it failed to pick up the correct track for The Avengers, but mic j is also correct that it's worth having a fallback if it fails.

tdtran1025
Oct 29, 2012, 12:48 PM
Assuming you mean from Blurays, PGS subtitle support was recently added to Handbrake and is available in the nightly build (download link in the Handbrake forums -- http://forum.handbrake.fr). You can use MakeMKV to extract the subtitle streams, and then have Handbrake identify and burn in only the foreign audio portions (as it has done with DVDs in the past).

Since when did Handbrake add support for PGS subtitles? I would love to get my hands on the mentioned version.
Up to this point, I still have to extract PGS, convert it, remux it(using different programs), and then use Handbrake for the final trancode.
Correct me if I am wrong.

mic j
Oct 29, 2012, 12:53 PM
Since when did Handbrake add support for PGS subtitles? I would love to get my hands on the mentioned version.
Up to this point, I still have to extract PGS, convert it, remux it(using different programs), and then use Handbrake for the final trancode.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Handbrake has PGS subtitle support built in to the Nightly Builds, not it's stable version. But the nightly's are very stable as well. Here is a link: https://build.handbrake.fr/view/Nightlies/

They download and install same as the regular version.

mic j
Oct 29, 2012, 01:03 PM
My understanding is that handbrake using foreign audio search will fail if the subtitle is in a separate track, and NOT marked as forced.

Not necessarily, it uses an algorithm that scans for subtitles that appear less than 10% of the time, as well as, force flags.

Not saying it is perfect at detecting forced subs, nor do they claim to be, but it has worked pretty well on the whole. Also, I usually consult the cited spreadsheet to no if there are forced subs, where they are, and what type they are (separate track, embedded, etc). If HB misses it, I do like you and look at my mkv, using VLC, and determine the track that needs to be included.

jrm27
Jan 5, 2013, 01:46 PM
hi all,

Just found this topic because I'm having the exact same question! The movie I'm having trouble with is Kill Bill vol 1. After looking at the previously linked spreadsheet, I see that the foreign language subs are on a separate track. How do I get these to show up in my encodes? Thanks!

-jon

mic j
Jan 5, 2013, 01:52 PM
hi all,

Just found this topic because I'm having the exact same question! The movie I'm having trouble with is Kill Bill vol 1. After looking at the previously linked spreadsheet, I see that the foreign language subs are on a separate track. How do I get these to show up in my encodes? Thanks!

-jon
BR or SD dvd?

jrm27
Jan 5, 2013, 02:08 PM
It's a BR. Sorry, I forgot to mention that!

mic j
Jan 5, 2013, 02:12 PM
It's a BR. Sorry, I forgot to mention that!
You need to download the Nightly version of HB. Then go to the subtitles tab and select Foreign Audio Search in the track window. It will scan your file for forced subtitles and if it finds one, burn it in to the video image.

jrm27
Jan 5, 2013, 02:22 PM
Hi mic j,

I've actually already tried that. I'm operating with a nightly right now, and have selected those options. No dice for Kill Bill Vol 1, at least. I can post an activity log if that would be at all helpful.

mic j
Jan 5, 2013, 02:58 PM
Hi mic j,

I've actually already tried that. I'm operating with a nightly right now, and have selected those options. No dice for Kill Bill Vol 1, at least. I can post an activity log if that would be at all helpful.

Are you working from an mkv file or directly from the disc?

jrm27
Jan 5, 2013, 03:05 PM
from an mkv. It's my understanding that handbrake doesn't recognize BR discs as a valid source. Has that changed with the nightly builds?

mic j
Jan 5, 2013, 03:15 PM
from an mkv. It's my understanding that handbrake doesn't recognize BR discs as a valid source. Has that changed with the nightly builds?
Not sure, as I never use it direct from disc. First, when you ripped to mkv (I assume using MakeMKV) you told it to included forced subs, right? If you did, open the mkv using VLC media player. FF till you get to a subtitle part (I like the one where she is in the sushi bar in Japan :-)). When you see the subtitles appear, check the subtitles menu (under video pull down, I think) and see which subtitle track is check. Make a note of it, then go to HB and open the mkv in HB. Go to the subtitle tab and select the track that you noted from VLC. If you want, just encode the chapter that your subtitle scene occurs in to make sure it is working. If you are getting it to appear, then go back and do the whole thing. It's a little quicker for these tricky things where you are testing various approaches.

Also, doing it this way, make sure "forced subtitles only" is NOT checked. It will discard it because the track is not flagged as forced.

jason.siegel
Jan 6, 2013, 12:10 PM
Is there a consensus on how to properly add foreign language subtitles for the original Avatar Blu-ray?

mic j
Jan 6, 2013, 02:14 PM
Is there a consensus on how to properly add foreign language subtitles for the original Avatar Blu-ray?
I just used the HB nightly, set the subtitle tab to "foreign audio search" and burn them in.

jason.siegel
Jan 6, 2013, 02:47 PM
What would be the difference between doing that and selecting PGS 2 forced?

mic j
Jan 6, 2013, 02:56 PM
What would be the difference between doing that and selecting PGS 2 forced?
Not sure what you mean by PGS 2 forced?

jason.siegel
Jan 6, 2013, 02:59 PM
The second PGS (bitmap) track. Forced titles checkbox.

mic j
Jan 6, 2013, 03:11 PM
The second PGS (bitmap) track. Forced titles checkbox.
Sure, it can be done that way if you know the track that contains the forced subs and it is flagged as forced.

jason.siegel
Jan 6, 2013, 03:15 PM
How exactly does the foreign auto search work? What subtitles track does it pull from, and how does it know when there is foreign audio?

mic j
Jan 6, 2013, 03:26 PM
How exactly does the foreign auto search work? What subtitles track does it pull from, and how does it know when there is foreign audio?
It looks for a forced flag but it also runs an algorithm that enumerates the amount of dialog in a subtitle track. If it has less than a certain number of "hits" it treats that track as a forced subtitle. It is not 100% accurate, but if you are unsure your title has forced subtitles or you are unsure as to what track it is and you don't want to go through the effort to load it into a media viewer (like VLC), it is a reasonable way to go. Some people routinely do the foreign audio search as part of their transcoding, so that they don't find out later that the title had a forced sub they missed and have to re-encode.

jason.siegel
Jan 6, 2013, 03:52 PM
Cool, thanks. So it sounds like I just manually did what foreign audio search also would have done.

mic j
Jan 6, 2013, 04:05 PM
Cool, thanks. So it sounds like I just manually did what foreign audio search also would have done.
Yup. :)

mteagle18
Aug 14, 2013, 12:13 AM
I'm trying to do the German/French parts of X-Men First class but the Foreign Audio Search does nothing for me

mteagle18
Aug 14, 2013, 12:38 AM
and HB nightly doesn't seem to work with doing it

mic j
Aug 14, 2013, 08:39 AM
I'm trying to do the German/French parts of X-Men First class but the Foreign Audio Search does nothing for me
Open the original movie file in VLC. FF to a place where there are forced subtitles. When they appear, look under the Video pull-down and select subtitles. The track containing forced subtitles should be checked. Make a note of which track it is. Then when you do your transcode in HB, manually select the track instead of using the Foreign Audio Search. Of course, select burned-in.

Usually, Foreign Audio Search works pretty good. I used it all the time. But occasionally it's algorithm for finding forced subs gets fooled. Also, not sure why you are using the nightly build. The stable release has everything you need in it.

Servomation
Sep 19, 2013, 04:22 PM
Then when you do your transcode in HB, manually select the track instead of using the Foreign Audio Search. Of course, select burned-in.

If I select any specific subtitle track, the "Forced only" and "Burn in" check boxes are disabled. It's only if I select "Foreign Audio Scan" that I can actually check those boxes.

And if I choose to import an external .SRT, no Burn In options even appear.

I've tried using "Foreign Audio Scan" with "Burn In" on The Da Vinci Code, and I don't know if it gets fooled because there's so MUCH French in that movie or what, but it simply will not burn in the subtitles.

I also tried to specifically select the track that has "Foreign Only" subs, as well as import the aforementioned .SRT of just the Foreign Only subs, and neither seems to work.

Am I doing something wrong??

mic j
Sep 20, 2013, 08:44 AM
If I select any specific subtitle track, the "Forced only" and "Burn in" check boxes are disabled. It's only if I select "Foreign Audio Scan" that I can actually check those boxes.

And if I choose to import an external .SRT, no Burn In options even appear.

I've tried using "Foreign Audio Scan" with "Burn In" on The Da Vinci Code, and I don't know if it gets fooled because there's so MUCH French in that movie or what, but it simply will not burn in the subtitles.

I also tried to specifically select the track that has "Foreign Only" subs, as well as import the aforementioned .SRT of just the Foreign Only subs, and neither seems to work.

Am I doing something wrong??
An SRT is a separate file "attached" to the movie file, therefore, you cannot burn it in.

Yes, HB's algorithm for finding forced subs is not perfect...pretty good though. If you know you have forced subs and HB is not finding them when it searches, I would recommend you open the file is VLC. Go to a section of the movie where you see forced subs. Then look under the Video pull down for Subtitle track. Look in there and make a note of which subtitle track is checked while forced subs are being displayed. The go back to HB and select that track under the subtitle tab. You should be able to select the Burn-In option at that point (don't check Forced Only).

If that's not working for you, download the appropriate forced sub srt and just add it using that option on the subtitles tab. No need to select anything else as the srt is incorporated into the m4v and will play appropriately.

Servomation
Sep 20, 2013, 02:40 PM
The go back to HB and select that track under the subtitle tab. You should be able to select the Burn-In option at that point (don't check Forced Only).

Nope. As I said, if I select any track other than "Foreign Audio Scan" (ie - select the subtitle track that contains the Foreign Only subs), the Burn-In option is disabled and I can not select it. That's the problem I'm having. This is HB v.0.9.9.5530 (64-bit).

If that's not working for you, download the appropriate forced sub srt and just add it using that option on the subtitles tab. No need to select anything else as the srt is incorporated into the m4v and will play appropriately.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I thought you said that a SRT was just "attached" to the file and would not be burned in. But it sounds like by your last statement that it is ??

What I'm trying to do is HB this for Apple TV 3. If I simply add the SRT to the job, and Handbrake it, no subs show on the ATV by default. Which is what I need. I even tried ripping to an MKV just so I could use MKVMERGE to remove ALL but the Foreign Only subs, and make that track DEFAULT and FORCED, before I Handbrake it... and it STILL does not show by default when played (plus the quality was degraded so much that I wouldn't be happy with the result anyway).

I'm feeling very stupid, but I just can get these subs to show by default and it seems like my HB interface is different than everybody elses (Burn-in is not available when it should be).

priitv8
Sep 21, 2013, 04:21 AM
What I'm trying to do is HB this for Apple TV 3. If I simply add the SRT to the job, and Handbrake it, no subs show on the ATV by default.You need to set default subtitle language in system preferences first!

bt22
Mar 11, 2014, 07:32 PM
I am trying to rip Captain Phillips and cannot figure out how to get subtitles when they speak somali. I am running OS X 10.9.2, Handbrake 0.9.9 from an Make MKV rip. Do I just choose PBS subtitles burned in? Do I have to load the subtitle stream from my Make MKV rip? Any help is appreciated

mic j
Mar 12, 2014, 08:43 AM
I am trying to rip Captain Phillips and cannot figure out how to get subtitles when they speak somali. I am running OS X 10.9.2, Handbrake 0.9.9 from an Make MKV rip. Do I just choose PBS subtitles burned in? Do I have to load the subtitle stream from my Make MKV rip? Any help is appreciated
First, verify that you ripped the subtitle tracks when you used MakeMKV. If you have the subtitle tracks in the mov, set HB to do a foreign audio search, burn in. First pass will scan the file for subtitles. Second pass will transcode the file.

bt22
Mar 12, 2014, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the response micj. I was able to figure this out shortly after posting this.

Barena
Mar 12, 2014, 05:31 PM
I'm having an odd situation with the latest version of Handbrake - when I add an srt file to an mp4 it doubles the size of the video. One movie jumped from 1.95GB to 4GB after adding in the subtitles.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

bt22
Mar 12, 2014, 06:24 PM
Mine just finished and I noticed the file size was several GB larger