PDA

View Full Version : Help in choosing a note taking app

Teste
May 14, 2012, 05:57 PM
Iím trying to find a good note taking app. Features I really want are:

ē Writing with the keyboard. I donít plan to write with my hands only.
ē Being able to organize notes in folders (or notebooks or anything like that). Iím currently using Notes, but the lack of folders is making it hard to keep my notes organized.
ē Being able to revert auto-correction. This is a tricky feature to explain. When writing in Notes, for example, if a word is replaced due to the auto-correction, I can press backspace and there will appear a list of other replacements, including the original word; so if the auto-correction replaces something inadvertently, itís very easy to undo it. GoodReader also has this feature.

Features I would also like, but which arenít critical:

ē Being able to justify the text. Writing with the text aligned to the side is a minor annoyance.
ē Selecting paper color. A small aesthetic feature, but itís nice and helps to identify notes in a glance.
ē Cloud synch. Notesí system of sending notes automatically to my e-mail account works, too.

I use Pages for something else, and since the folder system in Pages is very simple, I canít use it for its current function and taking notes.

I have triedÖ
ē FoxSoftís Notebook: isnít suited to writing, it focuses more on drawing.
ē GoodNotes: is focused more on drawing than writing, feels rather unpolished.
ē EverNote: tried it, didnít like it.
ē Notability: this is almost it. Allows good organization, but cannot revert auto-correction. Cannot justify text, doesnít synch to anything I have (I wonder why so few apps use iCloud), but we can select paper color. Is probably what Iím going to use if I canít find anything better.

Does someone have a suggestion of a note taking app that comes close to fulfilling the feature list I described above?

palpatine
May 16, 2012, 10:42 PM
evernote is really far superior to any other notetaking app if you ask me. although, i don't useauto correct, so i cannot speak to that. why didn't you like it?

JasonHB
May 17, 2012, 07:05 AM
evernote is really far superior to any other notetaking app if you ask me. although, i don't useauto correct, so i cannot speak to that. why didn't you like it?

I have to agree with Palpatine, Evernote is the best one that I have come across as well.

It seamlessly syncs across all of your devices (I use an iPad, iPhone and MBP), its very easy to organise, very easy to use and free as well.

The only limitation that I have found with the free version is that you can only access your notes if you have an internet connection, whether this be via 3G or WiFi. There is a paid option which allows offline access as well if preferred.

Jason

Jonathansm
May 17, 2012, 09:51 AM
I use Notability, I like it pretty easy and simple.

chilady1
May 17, 2012, 12:55 PM
I have to agree with Palpatine, Evernote is the best one that I have come across as well.

It seamlessly syncs across all of your devices (I use an iPad, iPhone and MBP), its very easy to organise, very easy to use and free as well.

Jason

And this is the main reason why I use Evernote over any other note taking app - its ability to sync across various devices. Sometimes I use my MBP, other times I am using my iPad for note taking. No, it doesn't have everything I would like in a note taking app, but until another one comes along that allows me synch across multiple iOS devices, I am sticking with this one.