Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I am dead tired so I will keep this short. I got a powermac G5 1.6GHz refurb on Monday of last week. When I first started the computer I got a kernel panic but after a hard restart the computer was ok. I just got back from being out of town and when I went to turn on the mac all I got was the screen with the apple and nothing more. I let it sit for quite some time with nothing. I did a hard restart (holding down power button) and it started ok. I decided to try letting the computer sit while being powered down for a bit and then starting it up again. Sure enough, this time I got an error screen saying to restart the computer :mad: Again, after the restart it was fine. So I repeated the experiment again and this time the screen just stayed black and the light on the front was blinking really fast :confused: I am going to call apple tomorrow about this but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem. I just got a new computer through work and I was going to sell this one but I can't if it does not work correclty :mad: My work computer is a PC and after the quality of products I have been receiving from Apple, sadly I am kind of glad.... sigh... Thanks for the input!

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Must be a faulty unit, I am sure apple will replace it for you...

One thing though if you have added RAM yourself it could be faulty and the reason for the kernal panics you are experiencing so try and take out all but the stock RAM and do your experiment again..

SHadOW ;)

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Yeah I thought it might be ram too but it does the same thing with or without it. Also, I forgot to add that last night when it just sat at the blank screen the computer's fans started getting louder and louder until it sounded like the unit was going to fly away. Very strange...

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Well if its not the RAM it must be a much worse problem like the logic board.....

Therefore you should take it into your local Apple vendor ASAP to get them to check up on it, or give apple a call and describe your system's syptoms..

ShadOW :)

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
I have seen many threads over the past 2+ years about rev. a G5s doing stuff like this. maybe there is some kind of firmware update to fix it.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Well I called applecare about the issue and they said that since the hardware test gives no errors they can't do anything for me :eek: I am going to continue calling people until I get something resolved here. Apple really does have the worst support of anyone I have ever done business with. This is my 4th powermac that has not worked correclty. I find it humorous how everyone says how crappy Dells are when I work in an office full of Dell PCs and none of them in our department have ever given us any trouble yet I can't get a working mac for the life of me.... uhh Apple what is your problem....

quidire

macrumors 6502
Chrispy said:
Well I called applecare about the issue and they said that since the hardware test gives no errors they can't do anything for me :eek: I am going to continue calling people until I get something resolved here. Apple really does have the worst support of anyone I have ever done business with. This is my 4th powermac that has not worked correclty. I find it humorous how everyone says how crappy Dells are when I work in an office full of Dell PCs and none of them in our department have ever given us any trouble yet I can't get a working mac for the life of me.... uhh Apple what is your problem....

Take it to an Apple Store. Of late Apple has been aggressively trying to get its customers to view their local store as an integral portion of the company's public face. Reasonably, they can provide better service by doing on-site triage than telephone customer service people can, who need the unit shipped to them before they can do anything more than ask you to run that Hardware test.

The Apple Store "Geniuses" have always proven very helpful. When they fall short of capability to solve a problem, they make up for it with the ability to give you on the spot replacements, etc.

Apple Store - Keystone

You save the delay of round-trip shipping just to see what the problem is. They may still have to send the unit in, but at least when they do you will know what the problem is and what they plan to do about it.

I had a Dell laptop not too long ago; their service is crap. Your workplace units may not have broken, but Dell can't fix the damn problem. My laptop went back every 8-9 months for a deeply flawed display infrastructure until the warrantee ran out. Then I bought my first Mac.

-RS

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Thanks for the advice quidire. I called the returns department and explained my situation. The lady was helpful and agreed given my situation to do a return. Unfortunatly, after having been through 4 powermacs, I am going to stay away from Apple for awhile. Maybe when the Intel switch is going strong in 2 or 3 years I will consider switching back. For now, I may just build myself a custom PC and use that like I did back in the golden day haha. Thanks for the advice all I really appreciate it!

I still own an iBook so you will still see me around these forums :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.