PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to Lion from Snow Leopard... will Boot Camp partition be okay?

MythicFrost
May 15, 2012, 07:11 AM
Title sum's it up. Will my Boot Camp partition be fine? Or will it be erased? Just doing an upgrade, not a clean install.

cpuguy18
May 15, 2012, 12:15 PM
Title sum's it up. Will my Boot Camp partition be fine? Or will it be erased? Just doing an upgrade, not a clean install.

your boot camp partition won't be erased if you upgrade to lion.

MiamiBourne
May 15, 2012, 12:39 PM
Since the bootcamp partition is formated with NTFS...even if you did a clean install with Lion I'm thinking it should only effect the partition with OSX. I'm not sure but wondering since I'll probably install Mountain Lion clean and then eventually Windows 8 clean on the bootcamp partition.

MythicFrost
May 15, 2012, 09:21 PM
your boot camp partition won't be erased if you upgrade to lion.
All right, thanks!
Since the bootcamp partition is formated with NTFS...even if you did a clean install with Lion I'm thinking it should only effect the partition with OSX. I'm not sure but wondering since I'll probably install Mountain Lion clean and then eventually Windows 8 clean on the bootcamp partition.
That may be true, but I'm not so sure. I always thought doing a clean install would cause problems with a Boot Camp partition, so I've either erased it and then done it, or cloned it first and then cloned it back. Cheers.

gentlefury
May 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
While the partition will stay intact it will more than likely break the boot record. I had to reinstall windows when I updated.

MythicFrost
May 16, 2012, 12:19 AM
While the partition will stay intact it will more than likely break the boot record. I had to reinstall windows when I updated.
Updating... or clean install? Just to be clear? I'm assuming the former :o