Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erandall38

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Hi,

Steve Jobs had mentioned in the past he doesn't like moving parts. I know he compared automobiles at one point.

Can you guys elaborate on what you think he was actually going for? Is it because it hurts the devices stability? Adds thickness due to extra parts? Or what?

kdarling

macrumors P6
IIRC, he was talking about failure points like spinning disk drives that could crash.

His example was that it was safer to keep your data off in "the cloud".

(Of course, "the cloud" is also composed of spinning drives, but Jobs never let facts get in the way of a good speech. Besides they have tape backups. Ooops. More spinning and worse, thin tape! Then there's the problem of what happens when you lose communication with the cloud, but that's a different topic.

All that said, I keep my photos in the cloud. Fingers crossed!)

kdarling

macrumors P6
... and many, many, many more mechanisms/points of redundancy than the typical user can afford/implement.

Even so, there are cloud failures all the time, especially with accessibility. However, one cannot usually blame the latter on moving parts :)

As I said, I'm okay with storing my email and photos in various clouds because I know (hope?) they've got good off-site backups.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.