PDA

View Full Version : Is my iPod dead?

oreomac
Jul 11, 2005, 08:03 AM
I've got a 3g 20gb iPod. The other day it won't let me use the buttons & just skipped though every song, so I left it to go flat. The next time I went to use it, it showed the folder & !, I've now got it back connected with my iBook & it's showing disk mode, & doesn't show up at all either in finder or itunes.

I had taken it away on vacation, & this started on the first day, so I've had no music on holiday!! :( Just before I went away I was trying to put it on the dock & it won't go & I noticed that it was open slightly at the bottom, I think something has got in & damaged the disk as it's making a noise like it's trying to get the disk to work.

Ideas, anyone?

cleanup
Jul 11, 2005, 08:20 AM
Try resetting it. Then, try restoring it. If that doesn't work, because of the folder exclamation mark icon, your iPod's hard drive is likely kaput, and you need a new one. Sorry!

At least you have an excuse to get a new iPod now. :)

michaelrjohnson
Jul 11, 2005, 08:51 AM
Try resetting it. Then, try restoring it.
That's my advice.

Also, if it's not too far out of your way, head over to an Apple Store to see how a Genius diagnoses the problem. That much is free. At least you can get an "official" word on it's status.