Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
Has anyone ever had an issue where your iPod starts up with the default language as something other than English? My new 4th generation iPod Touch is starting up with either Ukrainian or Russian, so I don't even understand the letters. The screens I get look like a location setting (a large pointer pointing to the upper right) then a screen with available WiFi spots in the area. I haven't tried to go much further as I don't want to make a choice on one of the several screens that would give me settings I don't want on my iPod. I've tried resetting and restoring my iPod as well as the only Apple help offered for changing the language: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1824 which doesn't help me because it assumes you're past the set up process. I've searched the Mac Rumors forum on this topic and all over the web with no luck so far. Any help, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

LaWally

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2012
Restore your iPod's original settings via iTunes. Be advised that this will essentially erase your iPod.

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
Thanks for your response LaWally. Actually I've already tried both resetting and restoring my iPod to the original factory settings and nothing seems to work. I keep getting this other language. Let me know if you have any other ideas though!
Thanks!

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
Well, for what it's worth, if anyone is interested or runs into this same problem, I ended up using Google translate to slowly peck my way through their Ukrainian keyboard...(thanks Google!) Then once I was able to get through the start up process I searched and found Nermal's post https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/6347955/ which helped me to figure out where the language setting was, in my case after going to Settings>General, it was actually the third option from the bottom (iPod Touch 4G). Thanks Nermal!

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
Could be because if you buy your product from another country and then bring it to another country could it be a reason maybe ? Because ı am thinking buying from Germany but couple of months later ı will move back to Turkey so ı dont wanna have problems of any kind.What do you think ?

Pukey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Gekkostate
Could be because if you buy your product from another country and then bring it to another country could it be a reason maybe ? Because ı am thinking buying from Germany but couple of months later ı will move back to Turkey so ı dont wanna have problems of any kind.What do you think ?

Hey serkan, that would be my first guess too, but the really odd thing is I bought the iPod at an Apple store here in the U.S. Somehow the default language is Ukrainian? Curiouser and curiouser...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.