Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aboutthat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Washington, DC
I've had a 15" PB al. for about a year now, and I've had some dim pixels on it for a few months now (I do have AppleCare, so still warrantied). They're not dead, nor white spots, which seem to be more common. At first, I thought they were just dirt spots, but definitely didn't come off with my LCD cleaning stuff, so I don't think it's that. Has this happened to anyone else and do you think its replaceable by Apple (though I hate to send things out for repairs...)?

The spots are a few pixels large and there are two or three of them. Nothing terribly problematic for general useage, but it bugs the heck out of me when I'm working on photos/design stuff. Thanks for the advice!

(ps. I searched and didn't find a thread on this, so sorry if there is!)

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Look here. for two apps. found with HypperJeff.net.
PiXel Check and Pixinator are good little applications. Others exist. This will help out what exactly is going on with each "dim" pixel.

I am looking for the Apple technical article. I posted that the rule was 7 dead or bad pixels anywhere on the screen, or 5 in a row. A dead pixel is one that has all gates (transistors) stuck open or closed. A bad pixel is one that has any, but not all, of the gates permanently stuck open or closed.

It's pretty amazing, just think about the odds.
A 1024*768 monitor has 786,432 pixels.
Given a minimum of 3 transistors (the number is actually more like 5 to 7) per pixel and you have 2,359,296 transistors per screen. So 5 bad/dead pixels, is a failure rate of 2.12x10-6 to 6.36x10-6 % of the transistors on the screen before the screen is replaced.

My 20" screen at work as an entire line of bad pixels. I work with mostly audio, so it really doesn’t matter. Still I know how it sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.