Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LaunchpadBS

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
iLondon/iDurban
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this.

I've googled it with no result.

I need to know if the Mac mini supports mini displayport, of the ports I can see on the back it only has HDMI and Thunderbolt but in store it come with an optional Mini Displayport to DVI adapter, am I missing something or can the thunderbolt port double as a mini displayport?

I ask because I'm going to buy the refreshed Mini when it comes out but in the meantime I've been looking to get a new mini displayport to DVI cable for my MBP but it's at quite a premium.

Nov 28, 2010
located
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP):
And because Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, the video standard for high-resolution displays, any Mini DisplayPort display plugs right into the Thunderbolt port. To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, just use an existing adapter.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
No choppiness here.. I have a 2011 mini and I've used two different adapters: HDMI->DVI, and MiniDP->DVI.

They both perform identically. My monitor is 1920x1200 which is the max for my HDMI output-- if you need to use a resolution higher than that, then you'll need to use the MiniDP->DVI adapter.

BTW I have the server with the HD3000 graphics, nice and smooth for day-to-day stuff and HD video playback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.