Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jackhdev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 9, 2011
Bismarck, North Dakota
I got all of my certifications for Mac server, and this summer I am going to learn about another server OS (I'm still in high school, so I have lots of time). Do you think it is better to learn about Linux or Windows, especially if I want to get a job next summer? Windows is of course more popular than Linux and Windows servers will be used to manage Windows computers (and web, exchange, etc. while you're at it), but any technological company/enthusiast often uses Linux. Which should I choose? Thanks.

Last edited:

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I got all of my certifications for Mac server, and this summer I am going to learn about another server OS (I'm still in high school, so I have lots of time). Do you think it is better to learn about Linux or Windows, especially if I want to get a job next summer? Windows is of course more popular than Linux and Windows servers will be used to manage Windows computer (and web, exchange, etc. while they're at it), but any technological company/enthusiast often uses Linux. Which should I choose? Thanks.

You will hear a lot of opinions, some valid, some insane, some valuable, some useless. My only suggestion is since you do indeed have time, pick the one you WANT to learn, and save the other for later. As far as I see (being in the tech biz) is that job opportunities are ripe for both those, and not so much for OS X server... which appears to be on quite a steep decline.
Good luck, and glad to see you're not wasting your youth on trivial crap. (But you CAN if you want to as it's none of my business)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.