Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
hey folks!

i just ordered a presonus firebox to get sound into my computer and the deal came with two AKG D660S dynamic cardioide mics. i was originally planning on buying a couple of 57s or 58s for studio recording (mostly vocals and acoustic guitar), but now i've got these akg's coming, so i'm trying to find out if i should waste my time and energy trying to get decent sound out of them, or if i should just resell them and buy some condensor mics...ANY thoughts would be much appreciated!

here's a link to the product description:

http://www.akg.com/products//powerslave,mynodeid,186,id,265,pid,265,_language,EN.html

(they *seem* to be more for performance than for recording)

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
You'd be right to an extent, dynamic mics are great for live work because they handle the volume so well, and many engineers still like the sound of a 57 on a guitar amp when it's cranked up loud (including me).

A condensor (or capacitor) mic will be much more useful to you if you want to record acoustic guitar and vocals, they are more sensitive and have a wider frequency response, which equate to a more realistic sound in most cases.

You can get some very nice condensors now for much the same price as a pair of 57/58s. Check out Rode, Oktava, SE, lower end AKG to satrt with, others will chip in with their favourites I'm sure.

I currently use a Neumann TLM at home and favour U87s and 47s in the studio, but they are costly.

Mr. Monsieur

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
Thanks, WinterMute!
It's strange...after reading your post I went to the Shure website to look at the specs of the 57s and 58s...they are also considered "performance mics" (as opposed to "studio mics") and yet they're used in the studio a lot (from what I gather)...hmm...I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the akgs sound...

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
Mr. Monsieur said:
Thanks, WinterMute!
It's strange...after reading your post I went to the Shure website to look at the specs of the 57s and 58s...they are also considered "performance mics" (as opposed to "studio mics") and yet they're used in the studio a lot (from what I gather)...hmm...I guess I'll just have to wait and see how the akgs sound...

Built for live work, essential for studio work, give me a matched pair of excellent condensors and a bucket of 57/58s and I'll record anything.... :D

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
A lil of topic..but WinterMute, i have heard some hit and miss reviews of the Oktavas. I was looking into them but heard that sometimes their quality suffers and othertimes it does not. Basically from what i have heard the Oktavas are supposed to sound great, that is when they built properly at the factory. Do any of the retailers do any quality checking of these mics? I have heard of one such place in Florida, but can not remember who told me, or what the name of the company was.
thanks

-cameron

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.