PDA

View Full Version : Taking over an hour to log in

SamEB
May 17, 2012, 09:40 AM
Since upgrading, it takes my account forever to fully log in.

It will load the desktop background, but then get the spinning wheel and it stays like that for over an hour. I timed it this morning and it took 70 minutes for it to bring up the dock and desktop files, then another 20 minutes before I was able to actually use it.

I don't have any apps set to open at log in and there is nothing in my login items.

Once I use a different account, that works fine, but eventually will do the same thing. I thought it might be something I'm installing, but I've only installed one thing, an add-on for Firefox.

gentlefury
May 17, 2012, 11:38 AM
Since upgrading, it takes my account forever to fully log in.

It will load the desktop background, but then get the spinning wheel and it stays like that for over an hour. I timed it this morning and it took 70 minutes for it to bring up the dock and desktop files, then another 20 minutes before I was able to actually use it.

I don't have any apps set to open at log in and there is nothing in my login items.

Once I use a different account, that works fine, but eventually will do the same thing. I thought it might be something I'm installing, but I've only installed one thing, an add-on for Firefox.

Sounds like something is wrong with that user account. If you have a time machine backup you can use that to restore and you should be back to normal.

rm -rf /*
May 17, 2012, 08:38 PM
I'd boot into verbose mode, command + v at POST (chime) and see what it's hanging on and TS from there. Also check HDD space and make sure your startup disk isn't full. Can you log into another account fine? If you don't have one, make one, and test. That could split half between user or system issue.

John01021988
May 17, 2012, 10:53 PM
Does it stutter when you are trying to open something?
Same thing happened to me before my HDD died, even though it said SMART status was OK

Puevlo
May 18, 2012, 05:13 AM
Also try using a shorter password. Less characters means you have less to type in before you are able to start the login process.

rm -rf /*
May 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
Also try using a shorter password. Less characters means you have less to type in before you are able to start the login process.

This has to be the worst advice I've heard since yesterday. :D