Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrDomVonDoom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Fairbanks, Ak
So, I am kind of concerned I may just becoming a biased fanboy. For a disclaimer, I have only used/owned a Mac since, early 2010, so about two years. Ever since then it was a good 9-10 year run of just Windows machines.

Ever since I switched, I just can't stand Windows, it just...ughn. I have it bootcamped so I can play games, but when it comes down to doing anything in windows it becomes a pain in my ass. For example, last night I was playing Diablo 3 with a buddy, I was on OSX and he was on his windows machine, (though he was eyeing my Macbook Pro, I might have to convert him)

But something as simple as, download TeamSpeak, install, join server, profit. Just became this hour and a half fiasco, he couldn't join a public server, kept getting errors, so we joined a different one, now his mic wouldn't work, or his hotkey wouldn't work. Literaly lost a hour and a half of game time, because of TS, then all we got was 45 minutes of play, by then it was 11:30 and we hated life.

Another example, at work, I needed to make a PDF, but windows doesn't support PDF's natively, so I had to buy some crap third party PDF printer, and now its taken over my printer settings.

Windows 7 is much better btw, I am talking of two instances of Vista, but still I just don't want to use it, I will, but it makes me ill thinking of the headaches.

Does this make me a fanboy? I have become 'That Apple Guy' to my friends, not that it impedes our friendhsip, but now I have that stereotype, if a ipod, or iphone goes haywire, its me they call first. I own a fair bit of Apple products, but is that enough to be a fanboy?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Do you want to be a fanboy? If so, then yes, I'd say you've met the requirement. If you don't, then don't be. Being a fanboy has nothing to do with the amount of tech you own by the said company.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Does this make me a fanboy? I have become 'That Apple Guy' to my friends, not that it impedes our friendhsip, but now I have that stereotype, if a ipod, or iphone goes haywire, its me they call first. I own a fair bit of Apple products, but is that enough to be a fanboy?

As long as you keep your perspective and not rave about a Mac just because it's a Mac you'll do ok. So no that does not qualify as fanboy, which usually means you've latched onto a product and no longer see it in a realistic light. Nothing wrong with preferring the MacOS or IOS. Just be careful around here. I made post considered critical of Android and oh, the nashing of teeth that went on. It was amazing coming out of a Mac oriented forum. :)

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
So, I am kind of concerned I may just becoming a biased fanboy. For a disclaimer, I have only used/owned a Mac since, early 2010, so about two years. Ever since then it was a good 9-10 year run of just Windows machines.

Ever since I switched, I just can't stand Windows, it just...ughn. I have it bootcamped so I can play games, but when it comes down to doing anything in windows it becomes a pain in my ass. For example, last night I was playing Diablo 3 with a buddy, I was on OSX and he was on his windows machine, (though he was eyeing my Macbook Pro, I might have to convert him)

But something as simple as, download TeamSpeak, install, join server, profit. Just became this hour and a half fiasco, he couldn't join a public server, kept getting errors, so we joined a different one, now his mic wouldn't work, or his hotkey wouldn't work. Literaly lost a hour and a half of game time, because of TS, then all we got was 45 minutes of play, by then it was 11:30 and we hated life.
I can't comment on TeamSpeak since I haven't used it, but I've never had an issue getting my microphone to work in any of my windows applications that use them. Sounds like an issue of a misconfigured system. Are you suggesting that its not possible to rig a Mac incorrectly?

Another example, at work, I needed to make a PDF, but windows doesn't support PDF's natively, so I had to buy some crap third party PDF printer, and now its taken over my printer settings.
go to Printers (either directly from the start menu, or via control panel), then right click the printer you want and click 'Set as default printer'. Should take you (or your Grandma) about 4 seconds. Not an OS problem, you just happened to choose a crappy, 3rd party PDF program that changed your setting without asking.

Windows 7 is much better btw, I am talking of two instances of Vista, but still I just don't want to use it, I will, but it makes me ill thinking of the headaches.
Vista is perhaps the 2nd most disliked Windows OS (with Windows ME being #1).

Disliking Vista doesn't make you a fanboy, but attributing problems with applications/programs to Windows itself does make you a zealot.

Teamspeak aside, all anyone who wants to run a windows game has to do is install it and run it. A fanboy would do something like ignore/gloss over the steps involved in getting bootcamp up and running every time anyone person wanted to play a game.

As for pdfs, the latest two versions of MS office support the format natively.

DingleButt

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2011
The fanboy parts about your post are that you speak about the current state of Windows like you know it but seemingly dont actually know it.

Doing what you described on Windows should be pretty simple and I attribute the trouble to user error/past user error and using old Windows programs.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
I wouldn't say your a fanboy, just don't go nuts.

Gone are the days when Windows was a bloated pile of crap that didn't work half the time. Apple had those days to ( OS 8 and 9. Yuck ).

Windows 7 is a pretty awesome operating system, as is OSX. I put them on the same playing field. I perfer OSX to use at home when I'm not gaming, but use Windows for all my work related things. Its just more compatible. Its all about what you need. Neither 7 or OSX is the end all be all, it depends on the users needs. A Graphic designer will probably go the Mac Route, a Gamer or a large business will go down the windows route.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Being a "fan" means that you buy into something just because of the brand name, regardless if the product is good or bad. Therefore, i'm not a "fan" of anything, but i like to enjoy the best products the world has to offer.

Windows 7/8 is great, and I'll be keeping a bootcamp of it along with Mountain Lion in the future. I understand your issues with Microsoft, and I get it too when someone complains to me about their $500 Dell laptop. But everyone has their own opinion on what is better, and as long as you keep an unbiased opinion then you'll be better off.

example..

Fan: "Omg the new iPod Nano is so awesome! It's so much better than the last one! I love it! truly revolutionary! Everything Apple does is gold! I'm buying this asap!"

Unbiased buyer: "While Apple is known to have made a few good products, the new iPod Nano is poorly made compared to it's previous generation. I'm not buying this one"

Last edited:

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago

I wouldn't say that. I used to use Windows for 7 years, and used to be a gamer. Well, I haven't used Windows since (I've used Wine) and for me there's this intangible, strong aspect of Windows that makes it absolutely repellent to me. I would've honestly admitted to being an Apple fanboy if I wasn't a Linux user, though. There's so much bias coming from the opposite direction that I would in no way call it a problem. IMO, I do not like the UI in any of the Microsoft OS's, even though the XP one is tolerable, and OS X might be my first choice for an OS. Just look at this as an example.

http://www.cultofmac.com/10796/win7review/

Obviously, the two simply have different user experiences. It's preference in your case, and if the majority of your discussion is Apple-related (Which is okay) then I guess you could be a fanboy. Most people are too quick too call each other a fanboy, though.

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
No. Your computing standards has just been raised to high. You see, even I couldn't stand a single second with Windows 7. I couldn't bear clicking Start and all programs just to open an app. I prefer the dock. This is natural. Microsoft's UI designers weren't really as great as Apple's.

I even get angry sometimes when computer cafés offer Windows computers. I always complain about how cheap their computers are because it's a PC. Oh wait, maybe I am just a fanboy.

Anyways, you're not. You just prefer Mac instead of Windows.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
No. Your computing standards has just been raised to high. You see, even I couldn't stand a single second with Windows 7. I couldn't bear clicking Start and all programs just to open an app. I prefer the dock. This is natural. Microsoft's UI designers weren't really as great as Apple's.

Uh ? I had something called the "Quick Launch" bar since Windows 95. It was added to explorer.exe with Internet Explorer 4's UI enhancements (called Active Desktop).

That was like 15 years ago...

I don't particularly like Windows, but I don't like people making stuff up.

iAppleseed

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
Uh ? I had something called the "Quick Launch" bar since Windows 95. It was added to explorer.exe with Internet Explorer 4's UI enhancements (called Active Desktop).

That was like 15 years ago...

I don't particularly like Windows, but I don't like people making stuff up.

The dock isn't the only one making OS X better. If it was, I would have stayed with windows and downloaded the Dock App instead. I'm talking about multi-touch gestures, exposé, mission control, spotlight, and stuff like that.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Most people would call me a fanboy and that's fine by me. I do evaluate each product apple release and if it's good I'll say so and if it's not I won't buy it. Plane and simple. I am looking forward to ditching my home PC (Vista & Dell not a winning combination for me) for a shiny new iMac. It will be the best computer I have ever owned, but it will also be the most expensive. Sadly I'll still be using XP at work for 10 hours a day so it's no wonder I fancy something different at the weekends.
Personally as an iOS user I think OS X will integrate more naturally for all my iTech compared to windows.
Just stay objective and don't worry to much about what people think of you.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
IMO...the term "fanboy" seems to be adopted by those so biased they fail to see what little merit their arguments have, so much so that they've resorted to name calling like a schoolyard brat. They're not the kind of people whose opinions you should put any stock in. Life will be much more rewarding if you ignore them.

NZed

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2011
Canada, Eh?
Do you want to be a fanboy? If so, then yes, I'd say you've met the requirement. If you don't, then don't be. Being a fanboy has nothing to do with the amount of tech you own by the said company.

Well said. A lot of my friends own a lot of Apple products. But they dont go around ans promoting it and saying that all other phones just plain suck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.