Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Syvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Hi,
So I went ahead and ordered a new 1.8 GHz i7 256GB 13" Air that arrived yesterday. It's still nicely on it's box unopened, because I'm debating if I should return it or not and wait for the fall for the new ones. On one hand I don't have urgent need for it, but on the other hand the new ones offer no real upgrades apart from maybe the new intel hd graphics. Retina display is a gimmick as the screen is apparently very good already and I have U2711 at home which I will use on Air nonetheless when I'm at home.

Oli3000

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
If it comes out in 3 weeks at WWDC, your 'new' one drops 20% in value, and whether you say you need the updates or not, they're nice to have?

I'd wait if you don't need it right now.

Of course it's more likely to be 8 weeks before the update, but still....

Syvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
No one ever -needs- a mac, everything can be done without one on a PC or get done somewhere else. So no.

----------

If it comes out in 3 weeks at WWDC, your 'new' one drops 20% in value, and whether you say you need the updates or not, they're nice to have?

That actually depends on what the updates are. I certainly didn't want the move from Nvidia GPUs to Intel graphics. It's also possible Apple won't be offering i7 variants anymore which would make the update a downgrade like happened with early vs late 2011 macbook pros.

Last edited:

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Worst case scenario is if you don't like the changes in the new model you can buy this one in a few weeks for 15-20% less.

So you either save a couple of hundred or you get a better machine for the same money. Either way you win.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Advantages of returning/waiting:
  • New MBA - Ivy Bridge CPU with HD4000 GPU, USB 3.0, possible HD FaceTime camera, possible Retina display, possible equal or longer battery life
  • 2011 MBA - Price goes down, refurbs get cheaper, etc.

Advantages of not returning/waiting:
  • Immediate use of MBA

So since you said you didn't really need it right away, I think you already have your answer...

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I see so many of these threads. I have to wonder why these considerations were not made prior to purchase.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Oi vey...

I love the amount of people who buy new computers without knowing if they really "need" or even want them. I long for the day that I have that kind of disposable income! :rolleyes:

Syvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I love the amount of people who buy new computers without knowing if they really "need" or even want them. I long for the day that I have that kind of disposable income! :rolleyes:

Neither do people "need" the updates/downgrades. Macbooks are selling well and people are happy with the current models at least here in Finland.

I'm also happy with the purchase, but since we don't know when the update is going to be or what it'll have you naturally get a nagging feeling. Most people don't even know about any refreshes.

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
Neither do people "need" the updates/downgrades. Macbooks are selling well and people are happy with the current models at least here in Finland.

I'm also happy with the purchase, but since we don't know when the update is going to be or what it'll have you naturally get a nagging feeling. Most people don't even know about any refreshes.

Believe me, I understand. I'm itching every week to pick up a 13" 256GB MBA. But I'm waiting to see if the refresh is hitting store in a month. If not, I'm buying the current model, no regrets. I just manage that nagging feeling WITHOUT buying a laptop in the meantime ;)

danpass

macrumors 68030
Jun 27, 2009
Glory
opened or not you still get only 14 calendar days to return.

So fire it up, return, wait for announced specs, then decide which one to get

solderguy1

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
Deja Vu, I remember seeing all these posts from May-July last year right before the last refresh. Never thought so much could be written about a lighted keyboard feature.

JasonR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2008
Believe me, I understand. I'm itching every week to pick up a 13" 256GB MBA. But I'm waiting to see if the refresh is hitting store in a month. If not, I'm buying the current model, no regrets. I just manage that nagging feeling WITHOUT buying a laptop in the meantime ;)

Or at least a leak, or something!! I'm in the same spot. Almost toying with buying an iPad to hold me over...but meh I don't want to lose money on the ipad either!

Syvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Well, that was a easy choice. The Air won't charge out of the box.

Good quality assurance right there Apple. And there I thought my bad luck of switching MBP 7 times previously and iPad 2 five times was just a case of bad batch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If it comes out in 3 weeks at WWDC, your 'new' one drops 20% in value
He's not looking to sell it for profit, but use it. Even when the new models come out, this model won't suddenly slow down or stop working.

OP, if you can live without a laptop for a few weeks, then return it, otherwise keep it and enjoy the laptop and not worry about the future.

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
No one ever -needs- a mac, everything can be done without one on a PC or get done somewhere else. So no

You answered your own question with this statement. If you don't need it, the most sensible thing is to return it.

I disagree with you putting me into your bucket though. My macbook air is my exclusive computing device.

TheRealDamager

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2011
Well, that was a easy choice. The Air won't charge out of the box.

Good quality assurance right there Apple. And there I thought my bad luck of switching MBP 7 times previously and iPad 2 five times was just a case of bad batch.

First, if you are questioning before you even open it, you shouldn't keep it. Second - there is no way in hell you received 7 bad MBPs and 5 bad ipads and a bad Air. You have to be making this up or be so incredibly focused on the smallest "defect" that you won't be happy with any product.

Higgs1

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
New York City
First, if you are questioning before you even open it, you shouldn't keep it. Second - there is no way in hell you received 7 bad MBPs and 5 bad ipads and a bad Air. You have to be making this up or be so incredibly focused on the smallest "defect" that you won't be happy with any product.

Truth.........12 bad products, seriously? That doesn't add up

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
Apple will extend their return policy from 14 days to 30 days normally when new products are released. They have always done this for me on iPads and also on some of their Mac line....

RobbyIdol

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012

Ha no kidding. If anyone experienced even HALF of that amount of Mac issues, I would never blame them for going back to Windows for life. I mean REALLY. :rolleyes:

Syvere

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
I wish I were joking or exaggerating, unfortunately I'm not. Apple did make up for the bad luck streak and gave me a free 16gb iPod nano after the 4th iPad 2. And MBPs they exchanged for new ones eventhough I didn't buy it from Apple. Customer service is exceptional and they really stand behind their products, but this bad luck keeps plaguing me. On other hand I had no problems with iPhone 3G and 3GS nor my new iPod Classic and the nano.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.