PDA

View Full Version : PowerPC 7200 Project - duct tape edition

cr2sh
Nov 1, 2002, 10:58 AM
Some of you may have seen this on the Spymac site, I submitted it over there for a contest, but felt some of you may like to see the video. Its a powerpc 7200/120 being disassembled and rebuilt using plastic wrap, insulating foam, and duct tape. It of courses boots and is fully operational (cdrom included). The video is of the building/booting process.

http://www.sininc.org/piemac.htm

Mr. Anderson
Nov 1, 2002, 11:13 AM
Cool, but you definitely would have done better by putting it in a pumpkin or something else.

If you do anything interesting with the 7200 - post it and let us know.

Good luck,

D

daniel77
Nov 9, 2002, 12:35 AM
pumpkins rot :(

MacBandit
Nov 9, 2002, 12:59 AM
The purpose of a heatsink on a cpu is to dissipate heat. Somehow wrapping it with insulation and then plastic wrapping that seems to defeat the purpose.

cr2sh
Nov 9, 2002, 01:06 AM
macbandit - i dont even know how to respond to that comment.
if was interested in preserving the system, i wouldnt have built the thing to begin with... keeping it cool, not a big concern of mine.

scem0
Nov 9, 2002, 01:19 AM
i saw that earlier... Pretty cool. I agree, they should have put
it in a more creative container. But not a pumpkin - that wouldn't
work out too well a month after you put it together. :D;)

MacBandit
Nov 9, 2002, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by scem0
i saw that earlier... Pretty cool. I agree, they should have put
it in a more creative container. But not a pumpkin - that wouldn't
work out too well a month after you put it together. :D;)

Well it's not like they were going for a long term machine anyways. This is based on the reply to my message about overheating the processor.

scem0
Nov 9, 2002, 01:25 AM
They weren't going for a long term machine, but they were going
for a little bit longer then the time it takes for a pumpkin to rot...

Oh, who cares, a pumpking, duct tape, inside a cow, I could care less... :rolleyes: :D :D

cr2sh
Nov 9, 2002, 01:29 AM
I'm not sure how you guys are missing the poitn here... but I'll try to elaborate.
I built the machine for a contest, it only needed to boot once so that I could film it. If I could have found a large enough pumpkin, it would have been put into it, but it needed to be insulated enough that the dampness wouldnt get to the vitals. I don't care about the PPC, I dont care about the heatsink, I dont care about pumpkin rot... I just thought you'd like to see the video.

MacBandit
Nov 9, 2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh
I'm not sure how you guys are missing the poitn here... but I'll try to elaborate.
I built the machine for a contest, it only needed to boot once so that I could film it. If I could have found a large enough pumpkin, it would have been put into it, but it needed to be insulated enough that the dampness wouldnt get to the vitals. I don't care about the PPC, I dont care about the heatsink, I dont care about pumpkin rot... I just thought you'd like to see the video.

Well I guess we're all missing the point. That's mainly because you didn't explain it. What contest?

cr2sh
Nov 9, 2002, 10:31 AM
there is a link there.... :rolleyes:

MacBandit
Nov 9, 2002, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by cr2sh
there is a link there.... :rolleyes:

Sorry I guess I just didn't read the text at the link. Call me an idiot I deserve it.

cr2sh
Nov 9, 2002, 11:07 AM
its okay, but i was starting to question myself though.. wondering if a did fail to explain it adequately.
i'm going in to the shop today, some buds are going to meet over and watch the Ohio State game.. I might construct something out of an old II. i'll let you guys know..