Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jiffry1017

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
hey,

i am thinking about purchasing the new macbook air when it comes out. I currently have a 2009 unibody mbp (core2duo, 8 gb ram, etc.).

I am wanting to get a setup with two additional monitors. I've read that with Displayport 1.2, monitors can now daisy chain with displayport. I'm wondering if this will be feasible with either my current 2009 mbp or the future 2012 mba.

Also, do you guys know of any monitors that have displayport "out" and not just only "in". I've been searching, but the tech specs don't really tell me online.

I've also looked into usb display adapters, but I don't want to deal with the slow refresh rate and think maybe the displayport daisy chaining solution would be better.

Thanks!

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Unfortunately, I think the current thunderbolt chip on the MBA only supports one external monitor. You'd need to use USB for the second monitor, and I suspect all that would absolutely hammer the MBA.

David

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
If the 2012 Macbook Air supports two external displays, I think it would only be through use of the Thunderbolt connection.

Your first monitor could be Apple's Thunderbolt display, which has a Thunderbolt/Displayport output on the back for a second monitor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.