Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c073186

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
So... my sister owns a Macbook (fall 2008 edition), and over the last 6-12 months it has been having issues connecting to wireless. At first, it would seem to work at some locations (i.e. home, school) but not others (i.e. apartment). So at first we figured it was just the router in those locations that is was not working. However, over the last several months, it's gradually been having trouble at more and more spots (that had previously worked) and now it seems to not work at all. For example, it will be connected but then over the course of an hour, it will lose connection multiple times and we have to turn off/on Wi-Fi for it to re-find the signal. Still other times, it will see the signal, and we will click to connect, and it will sit there for a minute like it's trying to connect, and then eventually will not be able to. For all of these instances, there are other devices that work perfectly well with the connection, so we have narrowed it down to the computer.

Wired ethernet connections work fine.

But is there some test or anything we can do to further diagnose the problem, short of taking it to the Apple Store? My only guess is that it could be a faulty wireless card, but I have never had similar issues, so my experience is very limited.

Does anyone have any possible recommendations for what we can do to identify the problem or remedies?

Thanks!

doubledee

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Arizona
So... my sister owns a Macbook (fall 2008 edition), and over the last 6-12 months it has been having issues connecting to wireless. At first, it would seem to work at some locations (i.e. home, school) but not others (i.e. apartment). So at first we figured it was just the router in those locations that is was not working. However, over the last several months, it's gradually been having trouble at more and more spots (that had previously worked) and now it seems to not work at all. For example, it will be connected but then over the course of an hour, it will lose connection multiple times and we have to turn off/on Wi-Fi for it to re-find the signal. Still other times, it will see the signal, and we will click to connect, and it will sit there for a minute like it's trying to connect, and then eventually will not be able to. For all of these instances, there are other devices that work perfectly well with the connection, so we have narrowed it down to the computer.

Wired ethernet connections work fine.

But is there some test or anything we can do to further diagnose the problem, short of taking it to the Apple Store? My only guess is that it could be a faulty wireless card, but I have never had similar issues, so my experience is very limited.

Does anyone have any possible recommendations for what we can do to identify the problem or remedies?

Thanks!

My advice is that your sister's MacBook is a piece of *junk* just like the one I own which is of the same era...

Her story sounds very similar to mine.

Last summer I found that re-installing OS-X from scratch seemed to fix the problem for a few months, but the problem keep re-appearing.

I hate to encourage anyone to buy a newer product from a company that can't build a quality product the first time, but that may be the only choice here if she wants to stay with Apple.

(I have been very UN-impressed with all of the problems I have had with my first Mac... Not much better than a PC as far as hardware problems, and not much better than Windows as far as constant OS/Application issues...)

Debbie

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.