Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
What's the point? They could always do a screen grab of your image, or Heaven forbid, look at your HTML code and get it that way. :eek:

I've seen it before a couple years back, I found it annoying more than anything.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
well the point of doing it is because its a personal site and I dont want my personal pictures ending up on some random message board with people claiming it's them

Knox

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 1, 2002
UK
jayeskreezy said:
well the point of doing it is because its a personal site and I dont want my personal pictures ending up on some random message board with people claiming it's them

Best way to do this would be to put a watermark on the images with your site URL or name - you're not going to reliability stop people downloading them. Programs like Photoshop can do it, or, if you're using server-side scripts to deal with images then you can do it automatically with imagemagick or GD.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
jayeskreezy said:

Watermark them or don't post them... when you want to copy something you get the way to do it, no matter what...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
As stated above, you can find ways to make it hard to download the actual file (with its resolution), but no way to prevent a screen grab. Might stop a new user, but anyone that's been around for very long will find ways around it. If you don't want it "out there", either don't post it, or password protect the site so that only the ones you want to visit can get to them.

You can also check out the discussion in this thread about the same issue.

Woof, Woof – Dawg
pawprint.gif

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
Whatever you do, don't do one of those annoying scripts that cause an alert to come up when you right click. For users that use mouse gestures these sites are almost not worth going to :p. Plus, it might even encourage some people.

Watermarking the image would be effective and it wouldn't be annoying.

scem0

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I don't like watermarking -- ruins the image to the point that you don't even want to look at it, let alone copy it -- and people can easily work around the scripts.

That said, this site offers a number of free scripts that will help you.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
jayeskreezy said:

Wow... that's one of the weakest reasons to want to not allow people to right-click images.

Putting a picture on the web has the assumption that it is there and people will be able to use it elsewhere. You can use copyrights and/or creative commons licensing, but that doesn't necessarily stop anyone.

If you don't want your pictures showing up somewhere else, then don't share them on the web.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
jayeskreezy said:
Does anybody know a no right click code that works for images?

Yes... but I'm not going to tell you. Why? Because it is a horrible idea and an annoying thing to do to users. Besides, it can be easily circumvented. You don't gain any real protection by using it.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
mnkeybsness said:
Putting a picture on the web has the assumption that it is there and people will be able to use it elsewhere. You can use copyrights and/or creative commons licensing, but that doesn't necessarily stop anyone. If you don't want your pictures showing up somewhere else, then don't share them on the web.

Just because a picture is on the web does not mean people can take it and using it any way they like. Yes, they can save it to their local hard drive and mess with it, paint moustaches on your face, etc, but copyright is still enforceable over the web. The web is not outside the law.

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
Never put/say anything on the web you wouldn't yell out your back door. If you want it to remain private that keep it that way.

Yes copyright does still esist on the web, but think of it as putting a sculpture up in your front yard. People can't just come along and steal it but they can take pictures of it and there's nothing you can do about it.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ChicoWeb said:
Put your whole page in

Code:
<invisable> </invisable>

tags.

Haha...are there really such HTML tags? What do they do?

FWIW, jayeskreezy, you can find javascript that disables right-clicking images with Google in less than fifteen seconds, if you really need to go that route. At least, that's how long it took me. First hit on first search.

But I too hate them. And anyone using a browser not written by idiots :D can disable Javascript with the click of a button. Maybe even the browser written by idiots can do that too.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
thanks for your help everyone...I know I can watermark my images, but I don't like what it does to the picture when you watermark it....

...as for the no right click well I know that code is very annoying IF a box pops up when you try to do it but so is seeing your picture on someone elses site...im not saying it will happen, but you never know...... you can disable javascripts on a webpage and take screenshots but to go to that length all for a picture is crazy and if someone wants to work that hard for it then take it....

....you all gave the answers that I was expecting and yes anybody with half a brain knows you can google that and get it in less than 15 seconds (less than 5 if you have a fast connection :) ) but I was hoping some macrumorers would have a more sophisticated code....Oh well....

...I think the solution is to just get another domain where the name isn't as widespread that's all...it's no big thang...I was just hoping not to have to pay for another domain, but if I have to I will because I want it under my hosting company that gives me mucho everything.... dreamhost if you dont have a hosting company by the way

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
mkrishnan said:
Haha...are there really such HTML tags? What do they do?

FWIW, jayeskreezy, you can find javascript that disables right-clicking images with Google in less than fifteen seconds, if you really need to go that route. At least, that's how long it took me. First hit on first search.

But I too hate them. And anyone using a browser not written by idiots :D can disable Javascript with the click of a button. Maybe even the browser written by idiots can do that too.

LOL>nah. Its a joke. Try it ;)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ChicoWeb said:
LOL>nah. Its a joke. Try it ;)

It would be really funny to use XML or CSS to define all sarcastic tags in your document... lol, you could define stupid and /stupid tags and then use the CSS to format based on it, right? :rolleyes: ;) :D

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
mkrishnan said:
It would be really funny to use XML or CSS to define all sarcastic tags in your document... lol, you could define stupid and /stupid tags and then use the CSS to format based on it, right? :rolleyes: ;) :D

<funny width="huge" border="seriously" option="lolwtfbbq" />

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
jayeskreezy said:
thanks for your help everyone...I know I can watermark my images, but I don't like what it does to the picture when you watermark it....

...as for the no right click well I know that code is very annoying IF a box pops up when you try to do it but so is seeing your picture on someone elses site...im not saying it will happen, but you never know...... you can disable javascripts on a webpage and take screenshots but to go to that length all for a picture is crazy and if someone wants to work that hard for it then take it....

....you all gave the answers that I was expecting and yes anybody with half a brain knows you can google that and get it in less than 15 seconds (less than 5 if you have a fast connection :) ) but I was hoping some macrumorers would have a more sophisticated code....Oh well....

...I think the solution is to just get another domain where the name isn't as widespread that's all...it's no big thang...I was just hoping not to have to pay for another domain, but if I have to I will because I want it under my hosting company that gives me mucho everything.... dreamhost if you dont have a hosting company by the way

the easiest way around most no right-click javascript is to "drag and drop" the picture to the desktop. the other way around it is to look in the browser cache.

to address your question more through; if you don't want put a password on a site, but still want to share pictures on the internet, and hope that people will not steal your pictures. that isn't probable. the only real solution is watermarking. having a "lesser known" domain won't work. there are bots that crawl for new domains, and you will be found. you have to assume someone will steal your pictures. there are copyright laws that will protect somewhat. everything you post to your page with or without the copyright symbol is protected by copyright. in theory you could sue them if they are profiting from your picture, or using even depending on the situation. you should read up on copyright laws if you really care.

in other words there isn't "sophisticated code" that will lock down a browser. in reality, all browsers download your pictures directly to all viewers hard drives. so your hope "sophisticated code" is pretty pointless. although, i will say the no-right click script will stop people, that don't drop-and-drop.

a minor tip - disable hot-linking.

jayeskreezy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2005
^^^ thanks a lot...that was helpful...how do I go about disabling hotlinking?

Why not just password protect your whole site, and just give the password to your friends?

well, I would but it's not that kind of site...it's a ministry homepage so the people that have my link will be people supporting my ministry and personally password protected sites are super annoying...that means I always have to have the password handy and for the average 45 year old who wants to help out my ministry that may not be helpful at all...it's koo though...like I said I will have two separate domains and not put in any meta tags.....it's really only a site that I want people i've given it to to see-but some people might be disinterested anyway once they see what it's about

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
jayeskreezy said:
^^^ thanks a lot...that was helpful...how do I go about disabling hotlinking?

well, I would but it's not that kind of site...it's a ministry homepage so the people that have my link will be people supporting my ministry and personally password protected sites are super annoying...that means I always have to have the password handy and for the average 45 year old who wants to help out my ministry that may not be helpful at all...it's koo though...like I said I will have two separate domains and not put in any meta tags.....it's really only a site that I want people i've given it to to see-but some people might be disinterested anyway once they see what it's about

There's a hotlink option in cPanel, if you have that.

And how come no one just answered the question? I know it's not a great script, but it does keep people away that are in a hurry!

Code:
<script language=JavaScript>
<!--

//Disable right click script III- By Renigade (renigade@mediaone.net)
//For full source code, visit http://www.dynamicdrive.com

var message="";
///////////////////////////////////
function clickIE() {if (document.all) {(message);return false;}}
function clickNS(e) {if 
(document.layers||(document.getElementById&&!document.all)) {
if (e.which==2||e.which==3) {(message);return false;}}}
if (document.layers) 
{document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);document.onmousedown=clickNS;}
else{document.onmouseup=clickNS;document.oncontextmenu=clickIE;}

document.oncontextmenu=new Function("return false")
// --> 
</script>

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
ITASOR said:
And how come no one just answered the question? I know it's not a great script, but it does keep people away that are in a hurry!

Probably because no one likes it when sites do that. ;)

Anyway... If you don't want your site to be picked up by major search engines, learn how to use robots.txt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.