PDA

View Full Version : Latest Lion Upgrade (19th May 2012)

Old Bill
May 20, 2012, 03:08 AM
Last night I installed the latest upgrade to Lion in the expectation that the bug where large amounts of data could not be transferred to an external disk had been fixed. It hasn't! I am very annoyed by this!

However, of more immediate concern to me is that my Numbers spreadsheets are no longer displaying any data. The data isn't lost because I can see the values from individual cells as I randomly click around the blank screen but while that's reassuring it's not actually any bloody use.

If either of my gripes has been covered before, I apologise. I have just registered in order to have this moan and seek advice.

Old Bill
May 20, 2012, 04:07 AM
"However, of more immediate concern to me is that my Numbers spreadsheets are no longer displaying any data. The data isn't lost because I can see the values from individual cells as I randomly click around the blank screen but while that's reassuring it's not actually any bloody use."

This part of my problem has gone away after several reboots. I still, however, has the annoying problem of not being able to copy to an external disk.

As I explained to my wife - I'm not doing anything clever or out of the ordinary, I am just using the sort of thing I used to do every day, without a problem when I had to use Windows.

robkat
May 20, 2012, 04:46 AM
Hi. Have you tried verifying you ext disc using disc utility?

Old Bill
May 20, 2012, 11:02 AM
Hi. Have you tried verifying you ext disc using disc utility?

Yes I have and it fails verification with an 'invalid sibling link'. However, it then fails rebuilding the catalog B-tree. The solution being suggested is to backup and reformat the disk. To where, I wonder, should I backup my backup and how?

Now I have sort of been here before and always managed to sort out the problem. However, when I tried deleting files using shell commands in a X11 window I received a message saying that the volume was read only. I then suspected that all was not well and basically I had no option but to reformat.

Saying goodbye to my data I did just that and now all seems well. I am at last able to copy all my image files.

Thanks for your interest, robkat.