PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good cookbook app for iPad that integrates a grocery list with iPhone

Obioban
May 20, 2012, 08:01 AM
So I'm planning on having a permanently wall mounted iPad in the Kitchen. It's roles would be cookbook, air playing music to the stereo, and grocery list updating.

I'm looking for a good cookbook. Things I'd ideally like:
1) good built in recipes
2) Ability to add recipes
3) Ability to add things to a grocery list, which would somehow be synced with my iPhone (or multiple iPhones, so both the wife and I have a cohesive grocery list).

I'm okay with the grocery list functionality being a separate app.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Weaselboy
May 20, 2012, 05:54 PM
Paprika (http://www.paprikaapp.com/) does this. Really nice with free sync between iOS devices and their OS X app.

DollaTwentyFive
May 20, 2012, 06:07 PM
+1000 for Paprika. You have to spend some money to get it on all of your devices, but it is amazing. Probably in my top 3 of all apps. Using it right now as I am cooking dinner.

Weaselboy
May 20, 2012, 06:10 PM
+1000 for Paprika. You have to spend some money to get it on all of your devices, but it is amazing. Probably in my top 3 of all apps. Using it right now as I am cooking dinner.

I have no connection to the dev., but it really is a nice app. They also have a OS X browser bookmarklet you can add to your browser and just click on it to add a recipe you found on a website to your Paprika account and it get synced to your iOS Paprika app(s) and the OS X Paprika app. Very nicely done.

DollaTwentyFive
May 20, 2012, 07:20 PM
No connection here, either. I just think it is one of the most solid apps out there. They syncing between iOS device and OSX is awesome. The mentioned browser function is great. Integrated shopping list. Menu planner. Cookbook. The list goes on....

Fakrampe
Jun 18, 2013, 01:05 PM
I anxiously awaiting Cook'n for Mac to release their app and cloud support. I have my recipes on my macbk pro and just want to sync that to my iPad and phone. It is coming

BJMRamage
Jun 18, 2013, 03:27 PM
Another person who would place a vote for Paprika.

I love the bookmarklet, and you can set a calendar for recipes (I do this for parties) and nice browser and bookmark function in there.

nice to be able to email a recipe to someone...if they have the app (be it iPhone, iPad, or Mac) they can instal/save the recipe to their Paprika Recipe Box

schlaufox
Jun 18, 2013, 04:30 PM
+1 for Paprika - it's especially great how it takes a recipe from online and into the app, and manages to separate out the cooking time, measurements, method etc. automatically.

There's lots of little things like that which make it really nice to use.

madeirabhoy
Jun 19, 2013, 08:23 AM

the app sounds great but thats the only thing that puts me off.

for me to use it properly, id be spending 4.49 for my iphone. 4.49 for my ipad, and since it'd be easier to input on my mac, 19 or thereabouts for my mac.

so thats nearly 30 for whats a 4.49 app in essence. i think thats scandalous to charge full price for each device.

BJMRamage
Jun 19, 2013, 09:17 AM
the app sounds great but thats the only thing that puts me off.

for me to use it properly, id be spending 4.49 for my iphone. 4.49 for my ipad, and since it'd be easier to input on my mac, 19 or thereabouts for my mac.

so thats nearly 30 for whats a 4.49 app in essence. i think thats scandalous to charge full price for each device.

I hear you on that and because of it (I contacted them and they say there is "no way" to create a universal app now since some people have paid for one or both) I only have the iPad version.

I thought about the Mac version, but hesitated as I thought I can always use the bookmarklet and it has worked out great so far (a few times I get a "cannot save recipe :( " and when that happens (if on Mac or iPhone) I simply email the page link and open on the ipad in Paprika.

I can make a shopping list on the iPad and transfer to Reminders and then get that on the iPhone.

Yes, it would be great to buy once and have it go to all devices but I hesitated and so far my system works for me and looks fairly nice as far as apps go.

madeirabhoy
Jun 19, 2013, 10:16 AM
I hear you on that and because of it (I contacted them and they say there is "no way" to create a universal app now since some people have paid for one or both) I only have the iPad version.

I thought about the Mac version, but hesitated as I thought I can always use the bookmarklet and it has worked out great so far (a few times I get a "cannot save recipe :( " and when that happens (if on Mac or iPhone) I simply email the page link and open on the ipad in Paprika.

I can make a shopping list on the iPad and transfer to Reminders and then get that on the iPhone.

Yes, it would be great to buy once and have it go to all devices but I hesitated and so far my system works for me and looks fairly nice as far as apps go.

might start with the ipad version the and see how i get on. didnt realise that you can make the shopping list on the ipad and then still get it on the phone.

BJMRamage
Jun 19, 2013, 10:55 AM
well, it is more steps since there is no icloud sync between the same app but the idea is that I can use the larger screen iPad in the kitchen (I have a nifty stand and touch device to use when cooking) and the screen size seems just right to me.

Another nice touch is you can "cross off" ingredients and steps as you do them.