PDA

View Full Version : iOS iWork and Mac iWork coming together?

kdum8
May 20, 2012, 12:44 PM
Does anyone think that the iOS iWork apps and the Mac iWork apps (Numbers, Pages and Keynote) will ever become identical/synonymous?

There is a lot of functionality missing in Pages & Numbers for iOS and transferring Mac files to the iPad to work on strips out a lot of incompatible features and doubles the number of files to work with. It is all very clumsy. Numbers for iPad doesn't even support password access for goodness sake! If I want my Mac iWork files that I have painstakingly long worked on transferred to my iPad to continue working, I have to remove lots of useful features. Kind of defeats the whole point of having an iPad to work on the move.. very annoying.

Anyone see them being improved? The current situation with different iWork software on iOS devices and on Macs just isn't great at all.. :mad:

stridemat
May 20, 2012, 12:57 PM
I can see this happening sooner rather than later. At the moment it just not 'Apple' like and doesn't provide the fluid user experience.

danpass
May 20, 2012, 01:10 PM
using iCloud.com eases the pain.

I just made a random Pages doc in an MBA, uploaded to iCloud and it showed up on the iPhone

Though of course any changes on iPhone come back as a new doc in the Air

kdum8
May 20, 2012, 01:21 PM

This is the crucial point. It makes the documents effectively incompatible. Even if I accept the limited functionality, mac and iOS iWork don't play together. It's crazy...

techfreak85
May 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
using iCloud.com eases the pain.

I just made a random Pages doc in an MBA, uploaded to iCloud and it showed up on the iPhone

This is the crucial point. It makes the documents effectively incompatible. Even if I accept the limited functionality, mac and iOS iWork don't play together. It's crazy...

Mountain Lion will allow users to open and edit iWork documents directly on iCloud.
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/16/os-x-mountain-lions-documents-in-the-cloud-simplifies-file-access-across-devices/

sir42
Jun 12, 2012, 07:46 AM
There is a lot of functionality missing in Pages & Numbers for iOS and transferring Mac files to the iPad to work on strips out a lot of incompatible features and doubles the number of files to work with. It is all very clumsy.

Now that Mountain Lion fully supports Documents in the Cloud one would hope that Apple plans to release updated iOS versions of iWork programs that are 100% compatible with the Mac OS versions. But I suppose that remains to be seen.

kdum8
Jun 12, 2012, 08:27 AM
Now that Mountain Lion fully supports Documents in the Cloud one would hope that Apple plans to release updated iOS versions of iWork programs that are 100% compatible with the Mac OS versions. But I suppose that remains to be seen.

Indeed it does remain to be seen and nothing seems to be happening. However even worse, I learned today that any documents in iCloud are totally unsecured. Apple holds all the keys to the files meaning they can read anything, anytime. Worse still, not only will Apple hand over your docs to law enforcement if required to (understandable in some cases) but they also reserve the right to report and hand over copyrighted information! Outrageous. As there is no file system in iCloud you cannot encrypt any of your confidential files that go up on the server. Very bad. At least with Dropbox one can upload 256 AES encrypted folders...:mad:

GerritV
Jun 12, 2012, 09:05 AM
So far, the thing that bothers me most, is going back and forward with Numbers documents: cells that are formatted on my Mac (like dates, currency...) simply loose their style when opened on my iPad.

I'm using Cloud storage as much as possible, trying to lead a mobile life so to speak, so - kdum8 - you've got me thinking here...

kdum8
Jun 12, 2012, 10:37 AM
So far, the thing that bothers me most, is going back and forward with Numbers documents: cells that are formatted on my Mac (like dates, currency...) simply loose their style when opened on my iPad.

I'm using Cloud storage as much as possible, trying to lead a mobile life so to speak, so - kdum8 - you've got me thinking here...

I also want to use iCloud, as there is no doubt then when it is fully up and running it is/will be a very convenient service. However until the security situation improves then there is no way. I use a detailed Numbers spreadsheet for example which is passworded and then encrypted in another folder to track all of my finances, life assets and banking info. There is no way I could add that to iCloud as it stands...