PDA

View Full Version : RipIt - Extraction Error




stevieharkins
May 20, 2012, 01:42 PM
Hi,

I wonder if anyone has experienced similar issues to myself when using RipIt to extract video.

I'm currently transferring a bundle of Boxsets which I own onto my iPad and am using RipIt and Handbrake to do the extraction then compression.

I've used RipIt on numerous occasions without issue, however on Band Of Brothers, which has two, one hour episodes per disc, RipIt successfully extracts the first episodes however fails to take the second one. I'm having a similar issue with Lost, which has four forty minute episodes per disc, however RipIt seems to ignore episodes 2, 3 and 4 and only extracts the first episode on each disc.

I've tried each of the settings in preferences without any success - is there a quick fix to this - or perhaps another piece of software I should be using on there 'problem' discs..?

I'm running 10.6.8. on a new MacBook Pro.

Cheers
Stevie.



iphone1105
May 21, 2012, 10:09 AM
Are you sure whe you drag the ripit file to handbrake, that you're using the drop down and noticing several different "titles" to choose from, then adding each to the que.

Make sure when opening the file with handbrake, you use the drop down up top and you should be able to choose the 3-4 various titles ripped, their times should be in the same range and that would be the individual episodes.

RipIt always works great for every TV season DVD i have thrown at it

stevieharkins
May 21, 2012, 12:33 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply, the error happens before I even get to Handbrake. I'm using RipIt to extract the full uncompressed file, then using Handbrake to compress for iPad, when I hit the Rip button on RipIt and watch the file once complete it's only one episode in the file.

iphone1105
May 21, 2012, 03:30 PM
Hi, thanks for your reply, the error happens before I even get to Handbrake. I'm using RipIt to extract the full uncompressed file, then using Handbrake to compress for iPad, when I hit the Rip button on RipIt and watch the file once complete it's only one episode in the file.

How big is the file? Have you moved the file to handbrake to make sure it's not just one file, because when I Rip TV Seasons with RipIt, it's one big 6gb-7gb file, once in handbrake i can then choose each episode individually from the drop down and add my encode settings.....

Other than that, I have ripped both the shows your speaking of, never an issue, just did Lost recently myself with RipIt.

stevieharkins
May 21, 2012, 03:51 PM
So, Lost Season 1, disc 1 once extracted is 7.78Gb, on sourcing that with Handbrake the source title is listed as 40 minutes with 8 chapters and once compressed and opened in iTunes plays one 40 minute episode.

jailwut wunnow
May 21, 2012, 06:15 PM
Try setting RipIt to "extract main movie only" then use the built in DVD player to select a single episode and rip. Do the same for each successive episode. Might take longer but you should be able to rip each episode this way.

iphone1105
May 22, 2012, 10:26 AM
So, Lost Season 1, disc 1 once extracted is 7.78Gb, on sourcing that with Handbrake the source title is listed as 40 minutes with 8 chapters and once compressed and opened in iTunes plays one 40 minute episode.

Without some kind of visuals for me to help you this is tough. But are you 100% positive that when you move it to HB, when you add the file, do you not have options to choose various titles of the same time length?

Wish I could help more, but I've never had an issues where RipIt ever didi that with any of the numerous TV Show DVD's I have ripped.

KevinC867
May 22, 2012, 10:54 AM
or perhaps another piece of software I should be using on there 'problem' discs..?

MakeMKV works great for me when ripping discs with multiple TV episodes.

stevieharkins
May 22, 2012, 03:24 PM
Ok, let's see if this makes sense.

Screen 1 - pre-extract on RipIt

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/stevieharkins/17d90a73.jpg

Screen 2 - The ripped file post extraction

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/stevieharkins/dd6f006a.jpg

Screen 3 - Selecting file on HandBrake

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/stevieharkins/b3719b36.jpg

Screen 4 - HandBrake before I commence the compression

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/stevieharkins/c3467134.jpg

You'll see on the final screen dump that the duration is 41 minutes - i.e. one episode..

Any ideas.....?

Cheers Stevie.

ftaok
May 22, 2012, 03:30 PM
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff116/stevieharkins/c3467134.jpg

You'll see on the final screen dump that the duration is 41 minutes - i.e. one episode..

Any ideas.....?


You see in the upper left where it says "Title - 01 - 00:41:24"? If you click on that, you'll be able to select the other titles on the DVD. Typically, a TV Show DVD will have a separate title track for each episode and another track that has all of the episodes (for the Play All feature).

Click that button and you'll get the ability to encode the other 3 episodes.

iphone1105
May 22, 2012, 04:33 PM
You see in the upper left where it says "Title - 01 - 00:41:24"? If you click on that, you'll be able to select the other titles on the DVD. Typically, a TV Show DVD will have a separate title track for each episode and another track that has all of the episodes (for the Play All feature).

Click that button and you'll get the ability to encode the other 3 episodes.

I was trying to explain that from the start, this guy nailed it and the pics helped OP. Exactly what he says is what I suggest, and it should work. Props to the guy above for getting it in so qucik after you posted those screen shots! Nice help buddy! :):D

stevieharkins
May 24, 2012, 03:50 AM
Folks, thanks for the feedback, feel a bit of a dummy now.......!

Seems to be working fine now, amazing what a little bit of knowledge can do.

Many thanks for all your help.

Stevie.