PDA

View Full Version : Smart Folder / DropBox / iCloud Questions

MacKenzie999
May 20, 2012, 01:45 PM
Hi everyone...

I am new to Lion (but not to Macs), having just upgraded this weekend. I'd like to use a Smart Folder as part of my backup strategy but am having some difficulty. Here is what I would like to do:

I have an internal HD on my MacPro called Current Projects, which I backup via Time Machine. What I would also like to do is backup a certain type of file to DropBox (or maybe iCloud if that becomes an option) by way of a Smart Folder. However, when I set up my search parameters, I get no results. I have checked both my parameters and the search location several times and am confident I am making no obvious mistakes there.

My search parameters are simply the following: Kind: document; Name: ends in .aep; created within the last 365 days. All I want to do is backup my After Effects Project files (.aep) from the last year, from the internal HD named Current Projects. It seems like it will only see files from my Home directory, which is not on the Current Projects drive. My only Search button seems to be This Mac.

My questions: First of all, will backing up a Smart Folder to DropBox actually back up my files, or will it just back up a folder full of aliases?
Second, is there any way to make a Smart Folder that looks beyond my Home folder? This seems pretty obvious so I assume I must be making some sort of mistake here. Also, I have seen the option (Forget where) for Hide Extension from file names; I doubt this is what is tripping me up, but anything is possible. Thirdly, I have a decent amount of iCloud storage (just migrated from .Mac); is it possible to use iCloud for this purpose instead of DropBox?

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!