PDA

View Full Version : Few questions from a Windows 7 convert

MiamiC70
May 20, 2012, 02:18 PM
Why goes OSX not auto eject external devices? So annoying to have to constantly eject my external USB drives every time I undock my MBA from my Thunderbolt display.

Why in finder window can you not sort easily by clicking top headers? i.e kind, size, date modified etc...

Am I missing something?

McGiord
May 20, 2012, 02:27 PM
In Lion, you have to click on the list view, the icon with some horizontal lines.

View Menu -> List
Command + 2

This doesn't work for some Finder views, like All my Files.
Sometimes you need to click on the gear icon, and select Arrange By...whatever you want.

I do not know why, but surely some other MR members could give a better explanation.

Small White Car
May 21, 2012, 02:05 PM
Why goes OSX not auto eject external devices? So annoying to have to constantly eject my external USB drives every time I undock my MBA from my Thunderbolt display.

It's the same as in Windows. You're supposed to eject drives from Windows too. The only difference is that Windows doesn't complain the way OSX does when you don't do it. So it works the same, you're just getting more warnings about it now.

Why in finder window can you not sort easily by clicking top headers? i.e kind, size, date modified etc...

Am I missing something?

You can only do this in 'list' view or 'cover flow' view. Make sure you've switched Finder to one of these and it works just like you'd expect.