PDA

View Full Version : ATV3 n00b. Subtitles and resolution

The DRis
May 21, 2012, 11:14 AM
Hi guys. I've been reading for a week trying to find the answers on my own. I think I have the basics down. But now I have questions that I'm not finding the answers too.

Basically I want a .m4v file with soft (turn them off and on) subtitles and surround sound audio.

1) My first couple of DVD-computer I did just using Handbrake. Do these contain subtitle tracks?

2) I switched to makemkv for the most recent conversions. The Harry Potter series. Obviously with makemkv I saw and selected the audio and subtitle tracks. Now how do I convert them using handbrake and keep the subtitles as a soft option?

3) I don't have a surround system yet, but I'm planning for the future so I don't have to do all this work again.

4) I don't have anything blu-ray yet. Are DVD's 1080 or 720? Should I try and create an ATV3 preset or just use the ATV2 preset?

mic j
May 21, 2012, 12:19 PM
Hi guys. I've been reading for a week trying to find the answers on my own. I think I have the basics down. But now I have questions that I'm not finding the answers too.

Basically I want a .m4v file with soft (turn them off and on) subtitles and surround sound audio.

1) My first couple of DVD-computer I did just using Handbrake. Do these contain subtitle tracks?

2) I switched to makemkv for the most recent conversions. The Harry Potter series. Obviously with makemkv I saw and selected the audio and subtitle tracks. Now how do I convert them using handbrake and keep the subtitles as a soft option?

3) I don't have a surround system yet, but I'm planning for the future so I don't have to do all this work again.

4) I don't have anything blu-ray yet. Are DVD's 1080 or 720? Should I try and create an ATV3 preset or just use the ATV2 preset?
Your options are endless, but I will give you a starting point:

1&2) HB can only burn in VOB subtitles in the mp4 format. So there are no soft subtitles if you saved as mp4. Soft VOB subtitles are supported in the mkv format. Since you are referring to Apple TV, I will assume you saved in the mp4 container. You have 2 main options for soft subs: 1) download an srt file from the internet or 2) create your own srt file using another app (I use Subler to do that, but there are other options). When you transcode with HB, add the srt file in the subtitles tab and select default. This will add a text file to the mp4 that can be turned on/off with the aTV

3&4) Select either the aTV2 preset or the High Profile preset. aTV2 preset will be quicker but yield a larger file size than the High Profile preset. Both of these presets will generate an stereo track in the first position and a surround track in the 2nd position. That will give a file that will provide surround sound when you get that.

The DRis
May 21, 2012, 03:25 PM
Your options are endless, but I will give you a starting point:

1&2) HB can only burn in VOB subtitles in the mp4 format. So there are no soft subtitles if you saved as mp4. Soft VOB subtitles are supported in the mkv format. Since you are referring to Apple TV, I will assume you saved in the mp4 container. You have 2 main options for soft subs: 1) download an srt file from the internet or 2) create your own srt file using another app (I use Subler to do that, but there are other options). When you transcode with HB, add the srt file in the subtitles tab and select default. This will add a text file to the mp4 that can be turned on/off with the aTV

3&4) Select either the aTV2 preset or the High Profile preset. aTV2 preset will be quicker but yield a larger file size than the High Profile preset. Both of these presets will generate an stereo track in the first position and a surround track in the 2nd position. That will give a file that will provide surround sound when you get that.

Awesome, thanks for the response. From what I've read I thought that if I used makemkv the subtitle track would be included in the container. If that is the case when I transcode in HB I just select that subtitle track and default and we are GTG?

I only used HB on two movies before my reading brought me to makemkv. Since then I have done 5 movies into .mkv and have been waiting to transcode until I knew what my options were.

mic j
May 21, 2012, 03:34 PM
Awesome, thanks for the response. From what I've read I thought that if I used makemkv the subtitle track would be included in the container. If that is the case when I transcode in HB I just select that subtitle track and default and we are GTG?

I only used HB on two movies before my reading brought me to makemkv. Since then I have done 5 movies into .mkv and have been waiting to transcode until I knew what my options were.
Makemkv will keep your subtitles in the container. The problem is, that almost all of them are VOB format subtitle tracks (or PGS format for bluray). The mp4 container does not support those formats but the mkv container does. So if you want to work in the mp4 container you have to convert them to a different format, i.e. srt

So you know, VOB and PGS formats are video overlays while srt is a text file that is "read" and displayed by the software. So to get an srt, it is either creed manually (dialog typed in) or optical character recognition (OCR) software is used on the VOB/PGS track to transfer what it "sees" to a text file. Sometimes it does it very well....sometimes not so well.

The DRis
May 21, 2012, 04:59 PM
Makemkv will keep your subtitles in the container. The problem is, that almost all of them are VOB format subtitle tracks (or PGS format for bluray). The mp4 container does not support those formats but the mkv container does. So if you want to work in the mp4 container you have to convert them to a different format, i.e. srt

So you know, VOB and PGS formats are video overlays while srt is a text file that is "read" and displayed by the software. So to get an srt, it is either creed manually (dialog typed in) or optical character recognition (OCR) software is used on the VOB/PGS track to transfer what it "sees" to a text file. Sometimes it does it very well....sometimes not so well.

So the subtitle tracks I have selected with using makemkv are worthless? There is no point then using makemkv to transcode my DVD's. I should just use HB and then Subler to add the subtitles?

mic j
May 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
So the subtitle tracks I have selected with using makemkv are worthless? There is no point then using makemkv to transcode my DVD's. I should just use HB and then Subler to add the subtitles?

If you use Subler (or some other OCR subtitle app) to generate your srt subtitle file, you will need the mkv with subs to do that. If you decide to download the srt from the internet then there is no need to have the subtitles in the mkv.

slothrob
May 22, 2012, 04:59 AM
So the subtitle tracks I have selected with using makemkv are worthless?
Also, it depends on how you are going to be playing the files back. VLC on the computer and some media boxes, like the Western Digital Media Player, will play back VOB subtitles from .mkv and .m4v (I believe, it's been a while). The aTV, however, cannot.

The DRis
Jun 6, 2012, 02:03 PM
I used Handbrake to make some smaller files from my RAW .mkv rips for my iPads for a trip. I used AppleTV2 setting on one and iPad on another. Both appear the same quality on the ipad, and both suck when viewed on my TV. Reading more and more on here it appears that using Subler instead of Handbrake is prefered.

I keep reading about only being able to use Subler on the .mkv files if the file is already H.264, how can I tell if it is or not? All of my DVD's from my collection I'm copying to my computer using makemkv.

mic j
Jun 6, 2012, 02:20 PM
I used Handbrake to make some smaller files from my RAW .mkv rips for my iPads for a trip. I used AppleTV2 setting on one and iPad on another. Both appear the same quality on the ipad, and both suck when viewed on my TV. Reading more and more on here it appears that using Subler instead of Handbrake is prefered.

I keep reading about only being able to use Subler on the .mkv files if the file is already H.264, how can I tell if it is or not? All of my DVD's from my collection I'm copying to my computer using makemkv.
First off, unless it's a bluray or torrent download, it is most likely mpeg2 and not h.264. Second, uncompressed movies take up a lot of room on your iPad. So think about that. But definitely doable if you have the room. I use an app called Media Inspector to get the codec info.

The DRis
Jun 6, 2012, 03:33 PM
First off, unless it's a bluray or torrent download, it is most likely mpeg2 and not h.264. Second, uncompressed movies take up a lot of room on your iPad. So think about that. But definitely doable if you have the room. I use an app called Media Inspector to get the codec info.

I have a 64GB iPad, so room isn't really an issue. However, I did transcode the movies I wanted to watch into iPad format and kept them in a seperate file. However, now that I'm home I'm more prone to watch them on my new ATV3 then the iPad, hence me looking for a higher quality picture.

I will check media inspector out.

If the files are mpeg2 can I still use subler? Or do I need to Handbrake to transcode?

ETA: mic j, thank you so much for all the help. I'm trying to read as much as I can and figure it out on my own without asking dumb questions. There is just so much to read, and it seems so many ways people get their movies into iTunes.

mic j
Jun 6, 2012, 04:07 PM
I have a 64GB iPad, so room isn't really an issue. However, I did transcode the movies I wanted to watch into iPad format and kept them in a seperate file. However, now that I'm home I'm more prone to watch them on my new ATV3 then the iPad, hence me looking for a higher quality picture.

I will check media inspector out.

If the files are mpeg2 can I still use subler? Or do I need to Handbrake to transcode?

ETA: mic j, thank you so much for all the help. I'm trying to read as much as I can and figure it out on my own without asking dumb questions. There is just so much to read, and it seems so many ways people get their movies into iTunes.
If the files are mpeg2 they will need to be transcoded. I think the High Profile preset will give you a larger file than the iPad preset, however, the quality is indistinguishable from the original...at least to me. Others may disagree.

The DRis
Jun 6, 2012, 04:22 PM
If the files are mpeg2 they will need to be transcoded. I think the High Profile preset will give you a larger file than the iPad preset, however, the quality is indistinguishable from the original...at least to me. Others may disagree.

The iPad transcode of Tangled was noticably pixelated on my 47" Vizio LED tv.

mic j
Jun 6, 2012, 04:49 PM

As you can see from my profile, I watch on a 65" and I see no pixilation using the High Profile preset.

The DRis
Jun 6, 2012, 04:56 PM
As you can see from my profile, I watch on a 65" and I see no pixilation using the High Profile preset.

I will try that and report back in a day or two. Thanks.

Last question. I've seen this covered ad nausium but it still doesn't make sense to me. I want to make sure the movie has the stereo (for watching right now) and 5.1 audio channels (for when I replace my broken receiver). Is there anything special I need to check in the HB audio settings or does it do that already under the high quality profile setting?

mic j
Jun 6, 2012, 05:33 PM
I will try that and report back in a day or two. Thanks.

Last question. I've seen this covered ad nausium but it still doesn't make sense to me. I want to make sure the movie has the stereo (for watching right now) and 5.1 audio channels (for when I replace my broken receiver). Is there anything special I need to check in the HB audio settings or does it do that already under the high quality profile setting?

That is part of the High Profile preset. I always double check that, the RF setting, and that I have selected the correct preset, though. Real bummer to transcode for hours and hours then find out you only have a stereo track.

Just a note: Per Dynaflash (the local Hanbrake high guru) High Profile preset will be the basis for the aTV3 preset to be in a future HB build. If you want to get even closer to the future aTV3 preset go to picture setting and choose anamorphic: strict on the size tab, detelecine set to off and decomb set to default, on the filters tab. Take the High Profile setting, check web optimization, add the above modification and make that your "aTV3" preset default. When you want to transcode a movie all you have to do is select the file (and maybe title) and hit start. Pretty easy.

The DRis
Jun 6, 2012, 05:58 PM
That is part of the High Profile preset. I always double check that, the RF setting, and that I have selected the correct preset, though. Real bummer to transcode for hours and hours then find out you only have a stereo track.

Just a note: Per Dynaflash (the local Hanbrake high guru) High Profile preset will be the basis for the aTV3 preset to be in a future HB build. If you want to get even closer to the future aTV3 preset go to picture setting and choose anamorphic: strict on the size tab, detelecine set to off and decomb set to default, on the filters tab. Take the High Profile setting, check web optimization, add the above modification and make that your "aTV3" preset default. When you want to transcode a movie all you have to do is select the file (and maybe title) and hit start. Pretty easy.

Sweet.

The DRis
Jun 7, 2012, 02:27 AM
Started the encode for Tangled (HD). Says it should only take 1hr 50mins. I'll try and wake up early tomorrow and load them both on my iPad to see if there is a difference. Then tomorrow when I get home from work I'll throw the DVD in the Xbox, play a chapter and compare it to the first encode (which I believe I used AppleTV2 preset), then the second encode that I customized per your recommendations.

The DRis
Jun 7, 2012, 04:49 AM
Sick of me yet?

Ok, tried out Subler. It is not very intuitive to me.

I opened an existing file, this file was already in iTunes. I searched and found the correct metadata and artwork. Now what...? I tried sending to iTunes, it didn't work.

Also when I open the movie in Subler, it unchecks chapters and the surround audio, why is that?

slothrob
Jun 7, 2012, 05:44 AM
Sorry, I can't help with the Subler question, but I wanted to say that I use the aTV2 preset and have found that, for SD video, that I need to drop the RF value to at least 19.25 to remove pixelation in solid color areas, to my eyes. That may be applicable to animation.

HobeSoundDarryl
Jun 7, 2012, 06:59 AM
OP, did you try reading the documentation for Subler: http://code.google.com/p/subler/wiki/Documentation

mic j
Jun 7, 2012, 08:59 AM
Sick of me yet?

Ok, tried out Subler. It is not very intuitive to me.

I opened an existing file, this file was already in iTunes. I searched and found the correct metadata and artwork. Now what...? I tried sending to iTunes, it didn't work.

Also when I open the movie in Subler, it unchecks chapters and the surround audio, why is that?
Only the video and stereo audio streams should have checks. That is sets the default tracks (don't worry about the stereo being default, the aTV will still play the 5.1 track automatically if you have it's dolby setting set to on)

After adding the metadata, you need to "Save" the file. Then go into iTunes and select "Get Info" for that particular movie. This will update the metadata in iTunes.

I agree, Subler is not as "intuitive" as some applications and the documentation is not as complete as I would like. Very powerful however and once you get a good feel for it, it will become second nature. Make sure you downloaded the beta version (15beta3) as the regular version (15) crashes a lot.

The DRis
Jun 7, 2012, 10:43 AM
Only the video and stereo audio streams should have checks. That is sets the default tracks (don't worry about the stereo being default, the aTV will still play the 5.1 track automatically if you have it's dolby setting set to on)

After adding the metadata, you need to "Save" the file. Then go into iTunes and select "Get Info" for that particular movie. This will update the metadata in iTunes.

I agree, Subler is not as "intuitive" as some applications and the documentation is not as complete as I would like. Very powerful however and once you get a good feel for it, it will become second nature. Make sure you downloaded the beta version (15beta3) as the regular version (15) crashes a lot.

I will try again tonight.

----------

Sorry, I can't help with the Subler question, but I wanted to say that I use the aTV2 preset and have found that, for SD video, that I need to drop the RF value to at least 19.25 to remove pixelation in solid color areas, to my eyes. That may be applicable to animation.

Is 720p considered SD?

mic j
Jun 7, 2012, 11:06 AM
I will try again tonight.

----------

Is 720p considered SD?

720p is HD.

There are other apps to add metadata MetaZ, iDentify, etc. The reason I use Subler for tagging is that that I can add/delete metadata fields. The aTV the Description field has limited size and usually will only display a partial movie description. By deleting some of the fields that the aTV normally displays, you can expand the Description field. Other taggers will allow you to display or not display a field, but it will still be there (just blank) when displayed on the aTV, so you don't gain the Description field expansion. But if that's not a requirement for you, definitely consider other taggers. I have also found that IMDB.com has short movie descriptions which I use instead of the TMDb descriptions which tend to be longer.

The DRis
Jun 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
Took some screen caps of Tangled in the two formats. Don't know if I upload them to photobucket if they will retain the resolution for me to post here and see what you guys think. Jet lag is a B***h. Was up at 2AM for no reason. Couldn't get back to bed, so I went out and loaded them up on my iPad and tried to compare them. Only thing I didn't get to do is play them on the TV.

----------

Screenshot 1:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/DRisThor/Thread%20Pics/a586be5e.jpg

Screenshot 2:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/DRisThor/Thread%20Pics/f0ccc304.jpg

You tell me which was the iPad or AppleTV2 encode, and which one is the customized AppleTV3 encode

mic j
Jun 7, 2012, 11:26 AM
Took some screen caps of Tangled in the two formats. Don't know if I upload them to photobucket if they will retain the resolution for me to post here and see what you guys think. Jet lag is a B***h. Was up at 2AM for no reason. Couldn't get back to bed, so I went out and loaded them up on my iPad and tried to compare them. Only thing I didn't get to do is play them on the TV.

You tell me which was the iPad or AppleTV2 encode, and which one is the customized AppleTV3 encode

#2 is the aTV3. Do I get a prize?

The DRis
Jun 7, 2012, 11:37 AM
#2 is the aTV3. Do I get a prize?

I've got a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts from Hawaii I just brought back?

What did you look at to see the difference?

mic j
Jun 7, 2012, 11:40 AM
I've got a box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts from Hawaii I just brought back?

What did you look at to see the difference?

Blockiness in the background door. It's exactly that kind of blockiness that caused me to drop HB a few years ago. And, the blockiness moves which I found even more distracting. Once you see it...it's all you see when watching a movie.

The DRis
Jun 7, 2012, 11:42 AM
Blockiness in the background door. It's exactly that kind of blockiness that caused me to drop HB a few years ago. And, the blockiness moves which I found even more distracting. Once you see it...it's all you see when watching a movie.

I noticed the blockiness when watching it on the ATV for the first time. It's what really made me start reading even more to see if I had done something wrong. Pretty sure I used the ATV2 preset not the iPad preset on that encode. The first encode is 730MB, the second one is 1.2GB. Not much bigger in file size. I can't wait to get home to compare them on the TV.

The way I noticed first was looking at the hair, goatee, and eyelashes. You can atcually see the strands in the HD encode.

I laugh everytime I realize what an OCD freak I am being and the fact that I'm using Tangled as my first test subjet. ROFL.

slothrob
Jun 7, 2012, 08:24 PM
My first couple of DVD-computer I did just using Handbrake.
I will try again tonight.[COLOR="#808080"]
Is 720p considered SD?
720p is HD.
But DVDs are not 720p, they are SD.

Handbrake is about as good as it gets, when it comes to home conversion, but you may need to lower the RF about 1 point if you find that the product has some artifacts like crawling in solid color areas.

The DRis
Jun 7, 2012, 09:03 PM
Tangled looks great. It was hard to compare to my Xbox because Everytime I change the HDMI input the Xbox restarts.

New issue. My 3-Disc collectors edition of Avatar has the movie split up. How do I merge the files?

mic j
Jun 8, 2012, 08:43 AM
Tangled looks great. It was hard to compare to my Xbox because Everytime I change the HDMI input the Xbox restarts.

New issue. My 3-Disc collectors edition of Avatar has the movie split up. How do I merge the files?

Use either MKVtoolnix (at the mkv level) or mp4tools (at the mp4 level). I tend to prefer doing it at the mkv level then taking the combined file into HB for transcoding. I did this with Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. There is a "black" gap between the 2 discs. Not sure if Avatar will have the same, but you can trim those things out. I just didn't do it because it was the first time I had combined BR discs and since it was so big in size, I didn't to take any chances with audio sync. One of these days, I will go back and see if trimming the black frames out has any impact on audio sync.

The DRis
Jun 8, 2012, 09:30 AM
Use either MKVtoolnix (at the mkv level) or mp4tools (at the mp4 level). I tend to prefer doing it at the mkv level then taking the combined file into HB for transcoding. I did this with Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. There is a "black" gap between the 2 discs. Not sure if Avatar will have the same, but you can trim those things out. I just didn't do it because it was the first time I had combined BR discs and since it was so big in size, I didn't to take any chances with audio sync. One of these days, I will go back and see if trimming the black frames out has any impact on audio sync.

Yeah, it has a black gap as well. I wonder if that will affect the syncing of subtitles too... Pretty stupid how they did these Avatar discs.

Disc 1:
Part 1 of
Theatrical Release

Special Release (8 extra minutes)

Collectors Edition Release (16 extra minutes)

Disc 2:
Part 2 of
Theatrical Release

It's like really? This is 2012 people, not the old days of double VHS Titanic release. It's a three disc box set, put one whole movie on each of the discs and spread out the special content... Retards.

mic j
Jun 8, 2012, 10:13 AM
Yeah, it has a black gap as well. I wonder if that will affect the syncing of subtitles too... Pretty stupid how they did these Avatar discs.

Disc 1:
Part 1 of
Theatrical Release

Disc 2:
Part 2 of
Theatrical Release

It's like really? This is 2012 people, not the old days of double VHS Titanic release. It's a three disc box set, put one whole movie on each of the discs and spread out the special content... Retards.
Pretty sure it's able to be trimmed, successfully. I have read of other doing it without a problem. I really had to weigh whether the black "gap" was more unsettling that the sudden scene change that would occur with the gap trimmed out. Still not sure which is more acceptable.

The DRis
Jun 10, 2012, 01:15 PM
Pretty sure it's able to be trimmed, successfully. I have read of other doing it without a problem. I really had to weigh whether the black "gap" was more unsettling that the sudden scene change that would occur with the gap trimmed out. Still not sure which is more acceptable.

Merged the files last night.

For anybody that searches and sees this thread, using mkvmerge you have to "append" the first file. I added both files and merged and got this interesting effect going on. VLC had two screen going playing both parts of the movie at the same time. Quite entertaining but entirely unusable.

Add "Part 1" of the movie or video file you are merging. Select that movie and then click the "Append" button. Select the next part of the movie or video to be merged with the first. Then remux the files.

Would also like to note that the chapters in the second file need to be renamed if you want to keep them. Mkvmerge will throw them out and leave one solid chunk of video otherwise. In my instance the first part of Avatar had 19 chapters, so I renamed the second files chapters starting at 20.

Mic J, the black gap isn't bad. A little long IMO. If I were to edit it I would cut it all out, just mostly out. It's at a good part in the movie.

mic j
Jun 10, 2012, 01:33 PM
Merged the files last not.

For anybody that searches and sees this thread, using mkvmerge you have to "append" the first file. I added both files and merged and got this interesting effect going on. VLC had two screen going playing both parts of the movie at the same time. Quite entertaining but entirely unusable.

Add "Part 1" of the movie or video file you are merging. Select that movie and then click the "Append" button. Select the next part of the movie or video to be merged with the first. Then remux the files.

Would also like to note that the chapters in the second file need to be renamed if you want to keep them. Mkvmerge will throw them out and leave one solid chunk of video otherwise. In my instance the first part of Avatar had 19 chapters, so I renamed the second files chapters starting at 20.

Mic J, the black gap isn't bad. A little long IMO. If I were to edit it I would cut it all out, just mostly out. It's at a good part in the movie.
Yep, you're spot on in everything you did. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a function to select "Renumber Chapters Consecutively"? The black gap is a personal preference thing. A strict cut between the end of 1 disc and the beginning of another can be abrupt and just as unsettling as a black gap.

Good job!! You've learned a lot.

The DRis
Jun 10, 2012, 10:40 PM
Yep, you're spot on in everything you did. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a function to select "Renumber Chapters Consecutively"? The black gap is a personal preference thing. A strict cut between the end of 1 disc and the beginning of another can be abrupt and just as unsettling as a black gap.

Good job!! You've learned a lot.

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.

The DRis
Jun 10, 2012, 11:22 PM
I'm about to throw my Macbook against the wall! Subler is driving me nuts.

I dragged Avatar into my iTunes library. Opened Subler. File>New, selected Avatar inside my iTunes library. Clicked the search button, found the correct meta data, selected right artwork. Deleted the fields I didn't want. Then I clicked the little arrow next to the search button. Apparently that puts it in a queue. I found the queue and started it, it says that it is/was done, but nothing has changed in iTunes. Not to mention Subler crashed like 3 times on me in the process making me start all over...

And now it says my Avatar file isn't playable... WTF?! Including my backup on the external HD? How did it mess with that? I thought I selected the file in iTunes?

ETA: And now Subler is the freaking default. So every time I open up an .m4v file Subler opens. I right clicked>Open with VLC>Change all, and it's not working... AAAHHHH

steve-p
Jun 11, 2012, 04:17 AM
Reading all this makes me realise why the prices for movies and TV shows can be so high on iTunes, yet people still buy them on there for an easy life :)

omenatarhuri
Jun 11, 2012, 08:04 AM
Reading all this makes me realise why the prices for movies and TV shows can be so high on iTunes, yet people still buy them on there for an easy life :)
I've spent quite a bit of time reading through this thread and other sites to find out how to rip my 200 DVDs in the best way. Just about to just forget about it and postpone the idea of getting rid of them.

mic j
Jun 11, 2012, 08:35 AM
I'm about to throw my Macbook against the wall! Subler is driving me nuts.

I dragged Avatar into my iTunes library. Opened Subler. File>New, selected Avatar inside my iTunes library. Clicked the search button, found the correct meta data, selected right artwork. Deleted the fields I didn't want. Then I clicked the little arrow next to the search button. Apparently that puts it in a queue. I found the queue and started it, it says that it is/was done, but nothing has changed in iTunes. Not to mention Subler crashed like 3 times on me in the process making me start all over...

And now it says my Avatar file isn't playable... WTF?! Including my backup on the external HD? How did it mess with that? I thought I selected the file in iTunes?

ETA: And now Subler is the freaking default. So every time I open up an .m4v file Subler opens. I right clicked>Open with VLC>Change all, and it's not working... AAAHHHH
First thing to do is to trash Subler and re-install (making sure you download the 0.15b3 version; and I would label it as such because if you look in Subler Info, it just identifies it as v0.15). Secondly, did you "Get Info" in iTunes? That's needed to update the metadata in iTunes. Next, not clear about what program is saying the file isn't playable aTV, iTunes, VLC, Subler? As a last resort, I have often found that deleting the file in the iTunes library and adding it back in will solve problems sometimes.

And, to make sure you are aware, when you modify metadata, the file might be re-written. If a glitch occurs during the re-writing, it can corrupt a file. So doing a Save As vs a Save is a little safer. I have had Subler crashes and files corrupted with the older version of Subler (v0.15) but have only had a very rare crash using the current beta version, and no file corruption.

As for Subler opening every time you open a video file, more than likely you accidentily set it as the default program for that file type. That can be changed in the finder by opening the file in the finder and change the Open With field to the app of your choice.

Check/try a few of these things and let's see where your at. It's normally not difficult but sometimes stuff happens. I am also wondering if something has changed in iTunes/aTV because I modified a file the other day and could not get iTunes to reflect the change I made using Subler. But I am not sure whether that was a one time problem or what.

----------

I've spent quite a bit of time reading through this thread and other sites to find out how to rip my 200 DVDs in the best way. Just about to just forget about it and postpone the idea of getting rid of them.

Once you get over the learning hump and get your process steps down, it usually goes pretty easy. I did about 300 dvd's in 2 weeks (including about 30 BR). I was running 5-6 dvd's or 1 BR/overnight transcode. There are some titles that tend to be more challenging (Avatar comes to mind) but on the whole things go pretty smoothly. Be brave!

The DRis
Jun 11, 2012, 09:51 AM
First thing to do is to trash Subler and re-install (making sure you download the 0.15b3 version; and I would label it as such because if you look in Subler Info, it just identifies it as v0.15). Secondly, did you "Get Info" in iTunes? That's needed to update the metadata in iTunes. Next, not clear about what program is saying the file isn't playable aTV, iTunes, VLC, Subler? As a last resort, I have often found that deleting the file in the iTunes library and adding it back in will solve problems sometimes.

And, to make sure you are aware, when you modify metadata, the file might be re-written. If a glitch occurs during the re-writing, it can corrupt a file. So doing a Save As vs a Save is a little safer. I have had Subler crashes and files corrupted with the older version of Subler (v0.15) but have only had a very rare crash using the current beta version, and no file corruption.

As for Subler opening every time you open a video file, more than likely you accidentily set it as the default program for that file type. That can be changed in the finder by opening the file in the finder and change the Open With field to the app of your choice.

Check/try a few of these things and let's see where your at. It's normally not difficult but sometimes stuff happens. I am also wondering if something has changed in iTunes/aTV because I modified a file the other day and could not get iTunes to reflect the change I made using Subler. But I am not sure whether that was a one time problem or what.[COLOR="#808080"]

Not sure with Subler I have. I will delete and reinstall.

I did check info, that's when iTunes crashed. I reopened and clicked get info and nothing was there. Somehow I think it got linked to the original file on my external HD, because that file became corrupt as well. I transcoded it again last night and will attempt again this evening.

I tried to change the default program for opening videos and it did not work.

Also Subler gets the red notification bubble over it sometimes. That's how I found the queue. After running the queue when I right click on Subler in the dock it shows the movies I tried to edit, and I can't seem to find a way to make those go away, almost like they never finished.

mic j
Jun 11, 2012, 10:16 AM
Not sure with Subler I have. I will delete and reinstall.

I did check info, that's when iTunes crashed. I reopened and clicked get info and nothing was there. Somehow I think it got linked to the original file on my external HD, because that file became corrupt as well. I transcoded it again last night and will attempt again this evening.

Also Subler gets the red notification bubble over it sometimes. That's how I found the queue. After running the queue when I right click on Subler in the dock it shows the movies I tried to edit, and I can't seem to find a way to make those go away, almost like they never finished.
Not sure what the "red bubble" is. Never seen it. The list on the dock is a history, not sure you can edit that.

mic j
Jun 11, 2012, 11:03 AM

Just to make sure, once you did the "Get Info" in Finder and select the
"Open With" program, did you click on "Change All"?

The DRis
Jun 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
Just to make sure, once you did the "Get Info" in Finder and select the
"Open With" program, did you click on "Change All"?

Yes

The DRis
Jun 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
Three cheers for mic j!

So I deleted Subler and redownloaded. I had downloaded the 0.15b3 becasue the link was a different color when I went there. However, this one does seem to be working better than the last. Little things like the speed that it opened, and that it showed up in my Launch Pad this time, last time it didn't, I could only find it in my applications folder.

I copied AVATAR to iTunes from my external and unplugged it. Then I opened Subler, created new file, selected AVATAR from inside iTunes, added the metadata and artwork, deleted what I didn't want and saved.

When I saved it wanted to default to "Documents", I wasn't sure what it was doing so I let it. I figured it was just a file that the video would go look at and then add the metadata (since you said I had to click "Get Info" when I was done). But it created a whole new AVATAR in "Documents". So I deleted the movie from iTunes and moved the finished version back into iTunes.

Whew. Not that hard once you know what you're doing.

To all the others reading this thread that feel intimidated. Don't be. Just use mic j's recommendations for handbrake and go for it. Test 1-2 files first before you go full steam ahead just to make sure it will work like you want it to.

mic j
Jun 13, 2012, 11:13 AM
Three cheers for mic j!

So I deleted Subler and redownloaded. I had downloaded the 0.15b3 becasue the link was a different color when I went there. However, this one does seem to be working better than the last. Little things like the speed that it opened, and that it showed up in my Launch Pad this time, last time it didn't, I could only find it in my applications folder.

I copied AVATAR to iTunes from my external and unplugged it. Then I opened Subler, created new file, selected AVATAR from inside iTunes, added the metadata and artwork, deleted what I didn't want and saved.

When I saved it wanted to default to "Documents", I wasn't sure what it was doing so I let it. I figured it was just a file that the video would go look at and then add the metadata (since you said I had to click "Get Info" when I was done). But it created a whole new AVATAR in "Documents". So I deleted the movie from iTunes and moved the finished version back into iTunes.

Whew. Not that hard once you know what you're doing.

To all the others reading this thread that feel intimidated. Don't be. Just use mic j's recommendations for handbrake and go for it. Test 1-2 files first before you go full steam ahead just to make sure it will work like you want it to.
Thanks for the compliment.

One thing I noticed different in your workflow than mine is that you add your file to iTunes then use Subler on it. Adding the movie to iTunes is the last thing I do. So I do MakeMKV>Handbrake>Subler>iTunes. That way you don't have to do the "Get Info" as a step.

Also, I don't know if you have been following other threads here, but it appears the best way to do subtitles (regular/forced, dvd/BR) is to check the main subtitle stream in MakeMKV (copying all subtitles to the mkv) and then let HB sort out the appropriate subtitle stream needed depending on what is selected in HB. Evidently, sometimes MakeMKV is not pulling out the checked forced subtitles because it is looking for a forced flag and not all movies use the forced flag. Just a hint.

The DRis
Jun 13, 2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the compliment.

One thing I noticed different in your workflow than mine is that you add your file to iTunes then use Subler on it. Adding the movie to iTunes is the last thing I do. So I do MakeMKV>Handbrake>Subler>iTunes. That way you don't have to do the "Get Info" as a step.

Also, I don't know if you have been following other threads here, but it appears the best way to do subtitles (regular/forced, dvd/BR) is to check the main subtitle stream in MakeMKV (copying all subtitles to the mkv) and then let HB sort out the appropriate subtitle stream needed depending on what is selected in HB. Evidently, sometimes MakeMKV is not pulling out the checked forced subtitles because it is looking for a forced flag and not all movies use the forced flag. Just a hint.

I wasn't sure if I broke AVATAR in the first place because I had tried doing it outside of iTunes. I wondered if the metadata only was for, and worked with iTunes. But since it created a new file and saved it in Documents I saw what it did and I will be doing it before importing into iTunes.

I have been following a few threads, not all, and I don't know if I've been following the thread that discussed that. I always check the subtitles box in makemkv. As for AVATAR I didn't force or check to add any subtitles HB and it automatically added them when they are speaking the different language. That makes me think it is already burned into the movie itself. I'll work on subtitles next. I'm just glad I have gotten as far as I have.

Oh, and subler is still the default player for video files. I haven't restarted my computer in a week or two, I'm going to try that and reforcing VLC as my default player tonight.

mic j
Jun 13, 2012, 11:46 AM
I wasn't sure if I broke AVATAR in the first place because I had tried doing it outside of iTunes. I wondered if the metadata only was for, and worked with iTunes. But since it created a new file and saved it in Documents I saw what it did and I will be doing it before importing into iTunes.

I have been following a few threads, not all, and I don't know if I've been following the thread that discussed that. I always check the subtitles box in makemkv. As for AVATAR I didn't force or check to add any subtitles HB and it automatically added them when they are speaking the different language. That makes me think it is already burned into the movie itself. I'll work on subtitles next. I'm just glad I have gotten as far as I have.

Oh, and subler is still the default player for video files. I haven't restarted my computer in a week or two, I'm going to try that and reforcing VLC as my default player tonight.
Yes, it sounds like the Navi subtitles were already burned in. Lucky you! Avatar is a total PITA. You really should be able to change the default "Open With" in Finder. If not, I haven't got a clue as to why. Good to get your process down then worry about subtitles. If you have a problem with subs, or something else for that matter, just head back to the forum.

The DRis
Jun 15, 2012, 09:57 AM
Is there a certain file size limit the ATV has? Played a movie last night, then wanted to check out AVATAR, it wouldn't start. Stayed on the spinning circle, then brought up the time bar and sat there for 5 mins or so. I think the file size is 3.8GB.

mic j
Jun 15, 2012, 10:15 AM
Is there a certain file size limit the ATV has? Played a movie last night, then wanted to check out AVATAR, it wouldn't start. Stayed on the spinning circle, then brought up the time bar and sat there for 5 mins or so. I think the file size is 3.8GB.

No file size limitation. Is this a HB'd file? Or are you trying to play an uncompressed h.264?

Edit: looking back, I will assume you are working with the HB'd mp4. Are you sure you had large file size and web optimize checked in HB? I think the large file size is checked by default if you used High Profile but the web optimize has to be manually selected (unless you created a High Profile preset with it checked).

The DRis
Jun 15, 2012, 10:28 AM
No file size limitation. Is this a HB'd file? Or are you trying to play an uncompressed h.264?

No this is that same AVATAR file I'd been working on. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. The wife and I had just finished a movie and and I wanted to see how it looked. So I selected it and waited. I installed Ethernet house wide. I may start plugging my MBP in when I know I'll be watching a movie. The first movie we watched was about 975MB. That worked fine.

mic j
Jun 15, 2012, 10:33 AM
No this is that same AVATAR file I'd been working on. Maybe I didn't give it enough time. The wife and I had just finished a movie and and I wanted to see how it looked. So I selected it and waited. I installed Ethernet house wide. I may start plugging my MBP in when I know I'll be watching a movie. The first movie we watched was about 975MB. That worked fine.

It's got nothing to do with file size. My Lord of the Rings file is 16GB and it streams over wifi just fine. Of course, wifi quality is a fairly personal situation, ethernet is always preferable to wifi. So the file you tried, was not run through Handbrake?

dynaflash
Jun 15, 2012, 10:38 AM

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: 3.8 GB if you are correct is well within the file size for easy atv playback (1. going back to atv 1 and 2. it doesn't even require that large file size (( 64 bit mp4)) be checked ) . 64 bit mp4 is only required for files over 4 GB. That said its kind of default since all apple products support 64 bit mp4 hence it being default on all HB presets.

----------

Oh, and subler is still the default player for video files.
Subler is a remuxer and tagger, not a video player.

The DRis
Jun 15, 2012, 11:24 AM
Short answer: No.

Longer answer: 3.8 GB if you are correct is well within the file size for easy atv playback (1. going back to atv 1 and 2. it doesn't even require that large file size (( 64 bit mp4)) be checked ) . 64 bit mp4 is only required for files over 4 GB. That said its kind of default since all apple products support 64 bit mp4 hence it being default on all HB presets.

----------

Subler is a remuxer and tagger, not a video player.

I know it's not a video player. I guess I should have said that when I double click on a video Subler opens. And when you right click on said video and select open, Subler is default.

The DRis
Jul 2, 2012, 08:20 PM
Is this h.264? Can I just remux?

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/DRisThor/Thread%20Pics/ScreenShot2012-07-02at61451PM.png

The DRis
Jul 8, 2012, 12:56 AM
I've recently started to have issues with Subler and Handbreak shutting down and giving me an error report. I glanced through it but can't seem to pinpoint the reason for the shutdown. With Handbrake I had queued up 5 movies before going to bed and in the morning it had finished one and a half before "quitting unexpectedly". I reopened and started it back up and the wife called me telling me it had quit again.

With Subler it will happen at random times. Sometimes right after I search for the metadata, sometimes after I choose the metadata, and sometimes when I click on the tab to designate that it's a 720 video.

Any ideas?

My MBP only has about 10GB of space left, but all of this stuff is being done on an external USB 2.0 drive.

mic j
Jul 8, 2012, 09:07 AM
I've recently started to have issues with Subler and Handbreak shutting down and giving me an error report. I glanced through it but can't seem to pinpoint the reason for the shutdown. With Handbrake I had queued up 5 movies before going to bed and in the morning it had finished one and a half before "quitting unexpectedly". I reopened and started it back up and the wife called me telling me it had quit again.

With Subler it will happen at random times. Sometimes right after I search for the metadata, sometimes after I choose the metadata, and sometimes when I click on the tab to designate that it's a 720 video.

Any ideas?

My MBP only has about 10GB of space left, but all of this stuff is being done on an external USB 2.0 drive.
You certainly are getting short of HDD space and that can cause some quirkiness. Although you are using an external, there is probably reading/writing as part of virtual memory used by the apps. If you can free up some disc space, that's always a good thing. Anyway, make sure you are using the Subler beta and if you are using a HB nightly build, go to the approved version (0.9.6) and see if you application stability improves. Also, sometimes just a reinstall will improve things. If trying a different version and/or reinstall of HB does not solve the problem, I would recommend going to the HB forum and provide the activity log. They can pinpoint problems from that and give more technical help that will be hard to find on this forum.

I had the exact same issue you are describing when I was using the "non" beta release. Lot's of crashing and usually when selecting/importing metadata. The beta version has been rock solid. As for HB, I have had an occasional crash but they are very rare. I do not use the queue, though and if you do, it might have something to do with that.

The DRis
Jul 8, 2012, 11:42 AM
I'm using the Subler version you recommended, but not a nightly build of HB. It's version 0.9.6 x86_64. I ran repair permissions. I also have 8GB of RAM.

I will have to post in the HB forum. Thanks mic.

You certainly are getting short of HDD space and that can cause some quirkiness. Although you are using an external, there is probably reading/writing as part of virtual memory used by the apps. If you can free up some disc space, that's always a good thing. Anyway, make sure you are using the Subler beta and if you are using a HB nightly build, go to the approved version (0.9.6) and see if you application stability improves. Also, sometimes just a reinstall will improve things. If trying a different version and/or reinstall of HB does not solve the problem, I would recommend going to the HB forum and provide the activity log. They can pinpoint problems from that and give more technical help that will be hard to find on this forum.

I had the exact same issue you are describing when I was using the "non" beta release. Lot's of crashing and usually when selecting/importing metadata. The beta version has been rock solid. As for HB, I have had an occasional crash but they are very rare. I do not use the queue, though and if you do, it might have something to do with that.

mic j
Jul 8, 2012, 11:59 AM
I'm using the Subler version you recommended, but not a nightly build of HB. It's version 0.9.6 x86_64. I ran repair permissions. I also have 8GB of RAM.

I will have to post in the HB forum. Thanks mic.

I was afraid you were going to say that. Since both have become unstable, and they both are usually very stable (maybe Subler a little less so), I suspect more of a system issue than an app issue. Also, consider doing a disc repair as well as permissions. I just did a disk scan/repair and was surprised at what it found as I had not been having any significant issues but had noticed a little more "spinning beachball" than usual. System has been snappier since doing the repair. Sorry I didn't have that magic answer for you.

The DRis
Jul 9, 2012, 11:30 PM
I'm doing Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le Pacte des Loups) which is a french movie. I don't like watching it in english because the words don't match the lips. So this will be the first movie that I"m going to do subtitles. But for the audio, do I have this set up right?

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/DRisThor/Thread%20Pics/HandbrakeAudioSettings.png

mic j
Jul 10, 2012, 08:32 AM
I'm doing Brotherhood of the Wolf (Le Pacte des Loups) which is a french movie. I don't like watching it in english because the words don't match the lips. So this will be the first movie that I"m going to do subtitles. But for the audio, do I have this set up right?

Image (http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk259/DRisThor/Thread%20Pics/HandbrakeAudioSettings.png)

Looks good. If you want, you could move the french track to the default first 2 positions, that way you would not have to go in and select the audio stream each time.

The DRis
Jul 10, 2012, 10:10 AM
Looks good. If you want, you could move the french track to the default first 2 positions, that way you would not have to go in and select the audio stream each time.

I got impatient last night and just assumed I was right and transcoded it. I could now change the default track via Subler if I wanted right?

Now when I get home tonight, on to subtitles....

mic j
Jul 10, 2012, 10:53 AM
I got impatient last night and just assumed I was right and transcoded it. I could now change the default track via Subler if I wanted right?

Now when I get home tonight, on to subtitles....

Yes, you can change the order in Subler. I assume you are wanting to do soft subtitles, as if you wanted hard coded you would have burned them in while using HB. For subtitles, a few comments:

-You have to use an srt file either downloaded or created by Subler.

-Since you didn't add the srt while doing the HB transcode, I assume you will add it using Subler. Once the track is added and the file saved, check the sync. If it is not synced, Subler has an offset setting you can adjust. Takes a bit of trial and error.

-I used the stopwatch on my phone to measure how far the sync is off, then go into Subler and add/subract that value. That gets you close but may not be exact. From there it's add/subtract small amounts/save/test/repeat until you get it just right. Subler extracted subtitle tracks may have less sync issues that downloaded tracks.

Good luck.

The DRis
Jul 10, 2012, 10:59 AM
Yes, you can change the order in Subler. I assume you are wanting to do soft subtitles, as if you wanted hard coded you would have burned them in while using HB. For subtitles, a few comments:

-You have to use an srt file either downloaded or created by Subler.

-Since you didn't add the srt while doing the HB transcode, I assume you will add it using Subler. Once the track is added and the file saved, check the sync. If it is not synced, Subler has an offset setting you can adjust. Takes a bit of trial and error.

-I used the stopwatch on my phone to measure how far the sync is off, then go into Subler and add/subract that value. That gets you close but may not be exact. From there it's add/subtract small amounts/save/test/repeat until you get it just right. Subler extracted subtitle tracks may have less sync issues that downloaded tracks.

Good luck.

What do you mean by Subler extracted?

mic j
Jul 10, 2012, 11:13 AM
What do you mean by Subler extracted?
Subler has the ability to read the subtitle VOBSub file and convert it to editable text, then export that file to an srt format. Subler does not make it an intuitive process but it's not hard to do. Just need to do certain steps in the proper sequence. Also, because it's an OCR process, it's a good idea to look over the text in the srt to make sure your spellings are correct. I think I have posted this process on forum previously, so you may want to do a search for it, if that is the way you want to go.

The DRis
Jul 10, 2012, 11:55 AM
For my convience and others:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1345900&highlight=subler+ocr+srt+mic+j&page=2

You 1) open a "new" window, 2) "import" file, 3) Select the subtitle track, 4) "save" to your chosen location. After that you will have an mp4 that you can then open in Subler and then "export" the srt track for editing. The new, import, save sequence is what triggers the OCR aspect of Subler to become active. So you have to do it that way. After that, you're on your own. I ran out of time last night trying to figure out how to view/edit the srt. But I do know that you can view it using Text Edit. Not sure that is the best way to view/edit it though. Let me know if you make progress in with doing this as I would like to know more about it too.

The DRis
Jul 10, 2012, 08:33 PM
Alright, I did it. Not too bad. I'll have to watch it now and see how the subtitles are. In the quick scrubs I did I just saw one place where it left out a space between "of" and "the".

Edit: Nevermind. They are all funky. It's and L's got changed to / and stuff isn't spelled right... Also I don't like how it puts the semi transparent bar across the movie.... Looks like this one will have to be burned in.

mic j
Jul 11, 2012, 08:38 AM
Alright, I did it. Not too bad. I'll have to watch it now and see how the subtitles are. In the quick scrubs I did I just saw one place where it left out a space between "of" and "the".

Edit: Nevermind. They are all funky. It's and L's got changed to / and stuff isn't spelled right... Also I don't like how it puts the semi transparent bar across the movie.... Looks like this one will have to be burned in.

The bar is an aTV thing, not Subler. There is some speculation it is going away in iOS6. I use Jubler (free) to check the subtitle accuracy and make corrections. Although, the couple of times I have done it, there OCR was very good. Guess YMMV.

The DRis
Jul 11, 2012, 08:51 AM
The bar is an aTV thing, not Subler. There is some speculation it is going away in iOS6. I use Jubler (free) to check the subtitle accuracy and make corrections. Although, the couple of times I have done it, there OCR was very good. Guess YMMV.

I was thinking about it last night, it might be because it is a French movie, I'm wondering if there are some characters that are throwing it off. I almost downloaded Jubler last night but it seemed there is so much to correct I would almost have to watch the movie and correct it as I go.

I'll try an all English video tonight and see if it turns out better.

mic j
Jul 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
I was thinking about it last night, it might be because it is a French movie, I'm wondering if there are some characters that are throwing it off. I almost downloaded Jubler last night but it seemed there is so much to correct I would almost have to watch the movie and correct it as I go.

I'll try an all English video tonight and see if it turns out better.

Yeah, sometimes it's easier to just download the srt. Let someone else do the work. I've had good luck with that route too. I did "Incindies" (also a french movie) that way and it just took maybe 3-4 re-saves to get the sync spot on.

The DRis
Jul 12, 2012, 08:59 AM
Over the last few nights I've added more and more videos to the queue that I run at night. First night was 2 movies, then 3, last night was 4 movies with no issues. Must have been a freak incident.

The DRis
Aug 4, 2012, 03:34 AM
Well I'm trying my first HD-DVD transcode. Using my Xbox HD-DVD drive I ripped Stardust and The Departed. The first step with makeMKV is much faster on the HD-DVD's, takes just a few seconds. On Stardust it labeled all the selections, main title, trailers, extras, etc. on the Departed it was just mumbo jumbo letters and numbers. Weird. I should take a screen shot.

Running handbrake right now for Stardust. It's averaging about 3fps with an estimated 13 hrs. I never understood the DTS audio issues, but we will find out soon enough. I think it had both True audio and Dolby Digital.

mic j
Aug 4, 2012, 08:34 AM
Well I'm trying my first HD-DVD transcode. Using my Xbox HD-DVD drive I ripped Stardust and The Departed. The first step with makeMKV is much faster on the HD-DVD's, takes just a few seconds. On Stardust it labeled all the selections, main title, trailers, extras, etc. on the Departed it was just mumbo jumbo letters and numbers. Weird. I should take a screen shot.

Running handbrake right now for Stardust. It's averaging about 3fps with an estimated 13 hrs. I never understood the DTS audio issues, but we will find out soon enough. I think it had both True audio and Dolby Digital.
Just a suggestion: When doing something new (HD-DVD) or dealing with something I am not sure what the end effect will be (DTS), I just encode a single chapter and check it out. I just hate doing overnight rips (my rip speed is identical to yours) to find out the audio is not right or the video is garbled.

Anyway...just a suggestion.

The DRis
Aug 4, 2012, 10:13 AM
Just a suggestion: When doing something new (HD-DVD) or dealing with something I am not sure what the end effect will be (DTS), I just encode a single chapter and check it out. I just hate doing overnight rips (my rip speed is identical to yours) to find out the audio is not right or the video is garbled.

Anyway...just a suggestion.

That is a great suggestion that I never thought about.

The DRis
Aug 4, 2012, 12:23 PM
The input is 1920x1080, the output says 1920x798. Is that right?

mic j
Aug 4, 2012, 02:24 PM
The input is 1920x1080, the output says 1920x798. Is that right?

That's fine.

Not sure if you caught it in the aTV3 presets thread, but Dynaflash has recommended sticking with anamorphic strict. Anamorphic loose will default to 720p on some sources. And strict works 100% of the time.

The DRis
Aug 5, 2012, 06:30 PM
That's fine.

Not sure if you caught it in the aTV3 presets thread, but Dynaflash has recommended sticking with anamorphic strict. Anamorphic loose will default to 720p on some sources. And strict works 100% of the time.

I'm still running 0.9.6 and the custom Apple TV3 preset that you recommended earlier in this thread. Per that anamorphic is set to strict.

mic j
Aug 5, 2012, 08:31 PM
I'm still running 0.9.6 and the custom Apple TV3 preset that you recommended earlier in this thread. Per that anamorphic is set to strict.
That's good. I can't really say the 0.9.8 version offers much. Just satisfied those who felt they needed an aTV 3 preset. We are more educated than that, right???;)

The DRis
Aug 6, 2012, 10:09 AM
That's good. I can't really say the 0.9.8 version offers much. Just satisfied those who felt they needed an aTV 3 preset. We are more educated than that, right???;)

You are more educated than that, I'm still learning. Haha.

Everything appears to be good with my first 1080p transcode. It's on an external drive and doest scrub well, makes sense. Went from 27.8GB down to 8.1GB. I'll be loading it into iTunes later tonight and on the iPad.

On a completely seperate note, VLC had an update, completely changed the user interface, and I HATE it.

The DRis
Aug 6, 2012, 02:22 PM
My friend is running a 2011 15"MBP with an i7 Ivy Bridge processor. We wanted to see how much faster his processor would transcode a movie compared to my Core 2 Duo. He was transcoding at an average of 47fps. I asked him a few more questions today to make sure all the variables were the same, and they were not.

He transcoded straight from the DVD, where as I transcode from a .mkv container. Would that have an effect on speed?

mic j
Aug 6, 2012, 02:39 PM
My friend is running a 2011 15"MBP with an i7 Ivy Bridge processor. We wanted to see how much faster his processor would transcode a movie compared to my Core 2 Duo. He was transcoding at an average of 47fps. I asked him a few more questions today to make sure all the variables were the same, and they were not.

He transcoded straight from the DVD, where as I transcode from a .mkv container. Would that have an effect on speed?
I have never ripped directly from a dvd but I would expect that to be slower than transcoding from a HDD file. I would expect a huge increase in speed due to having multicore capability. HB will use every resource the CPU will provide it. I assume you both used the aTV3 preset/strict?

The DRis
Aug 6, 2012, 06:00 PM
I have never ripped directly from a dvd but I would expect that to be slower than transcoding from a HDD file. I would expect a huge increase in speed due to having multicore capability. HB will use every resource the CPU will provide it. I assume you both used the aTV3 preset/strict?

I had him set everything to what I do, only difference was he was converting straight from DVD and I convert from .mkv.

I want a new 27" iMac with an i7 Sandy Bridge...... Lol

mic j
Aug 6, 2012, 07:23 PM
I had him set everything to what I do, only difference was he was converting straight from DVD and I convert from .mkv.

I want a new 27" iMac with an i7 Sandy Bridge...... Lol

Ohhhh, don't we all!!! (As I sit here and transcode o/n @ 4fps :eek:)

I am pretty sure it was the multiple core processor that made the different

The DRis
Aug 6, 2012, 09:34 PM
Ohhhh, don't we all!!! (As I sit here and transcode o/n @ 4fps :eek:)

I am pretty sure it was the multiple core processor that made the different

What do you have the Constant Quality set to? I have it at 18, he says he has been ripping straight from the DVD and sets the CQ at 12.

mic j
Aug 7, 2012, 08:29 AM
What do you have the Constant Quality set to? I have it at 18, he says he has been ripping straight from the DVD and sets the CQ at 12.

I always use the default CQ, 20. CQ=12 is crazy overkill. Anything below 18 and you are gaining little quality for a lot of file size. How does his file sizes compare to yours?

The DRis
Aug 24, 2012, 09:38 AM
I am in shock right now. I've lost/misplace my external HD and cannot find it.

It was my wife's birthday two weeks ago. We stayed in a local hotel on the beach. I know for a fact I had it then, and I am 95% certain I put it back in the computer bag when we were packing up, it would have been the first thing to go into the bag. Now I can't find it... I've torn most of the house apart, the entire desk area, I called the hotel, nothing was turned in from that room.

Not only was it my movie HD, but it had pictures on it and my Time Machine. That NAS is looking pretty good right about now, unfortunately I don't have the cash for it.

Still hoping the wife tucked it away in some random corner or drawer because she wanted it off the desk. Problem is she gets in these cleaning frenzies and moves stuff without looking at what she is moving. So when I ask her if she has seen it the typical response is "No, why would I move that?" And then I find it and she says "Oh yeah... I remember now...."

mic j
Aug 24, 2012, 11:19 AM
I am in shock right now. I've lost/misplace my external HD and cannot find it.

It was my wife's birthday two weeks ago. We stayed in a local hotel on the beach. I know for a fact I had it then, and I am 95% certain I put it back in the computer bag when we were packing up, it would have been the first thing to go into the bag. Now I can't find it... I've torn most of the house apart, the entire desk area, I called the hotel, nothing was turned in from that room.

Not only was it my movie HD, but it had pictures on it and my Time Machine. That NAS is looking pretty good right about now, unfortunately I don't have the cash for it.

Still hoping the wife tucked it away in some random corner or drawer because she wanted it off the desk. Problem is she gets in these cleaning frenzies and moves stuff without looking at what she is moving. So when I ask her if she has seen it the typical response is "No, why would I move that?" And then I find it and she says "Oh yeah... I remember now...."
Big lesson learned. I feel for you as I lost about 3 years of photos and financial data when my drive failed. But you don't need an expensive NAS, although that would be very nice to have. You need to: 1) leave critical drives at home, 2) have a backup drive, 3) actually do a backup, and 4) have a smaller portable drive (maybe 500GB) to take with you. Movies are always replaceable, you can always start over with TC. But personal items are impossible to replace.

Lecture over. ;)

The DRis
Aug 24, 2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah, I know and understand. But again, all those issues are solved with money.

$100 an external.

So in my reasoning I'm thinking, why spend $300 on externals when I could save that $300, save up another $300 and buy a NAS. But I haven't been able to get that $600 yet. I really hope one of the kids took it off the table or the wife moved it. I'll be doing an extreme search of the house very soon so I can try and get to the bottom of this. My kids are 4, 2, and 5 months, so asking the oldest wouldn't really give me any good answers as to if she or her sister did take it or not.

mic j
Aug 24, 2012, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I know and understand. But again, all those issues are solved with money.

$100 an external.

So in my reasoning I'm thinking, why spend $300 on externals when I could save that $300, save up another $300 and buy a NAS. But I haven't been able to get that $600 yet. I really hope one of the kids took it off the table or the wife moved it. I'll be doing an extreme search of the house very soon so I can try and get to the bottom of this. My kids are 4, 2, and 5 months, so asking the oldest wouldn't really give me any good answers as to if she or her sister did take it or not.

I think you overestimate the cost. Just leave the drive with the movies, photo's and TM at home (we may be talking about future drive, I guess). Buy 2 WD 500GB passport HD's ($80 each) and use one to back up everything but the movies and TM (I use SuperDuper which makes the drive bootable in case you have a system failure). Backup once a month. Use the 2nd drive as your "portable and transfer stuff you would like to take with you onto it.

Not saying a nice big NAS isn't great to have, but that is off in the future. You just need to make sure you don't lose irreplaceable stuff...now.

End of lecture #2.:D

The DRis
Aug 24, 2012, 06:02 PM
I think you overestimate the cost. Just leave the drive with the movies, photo's and TM at home (we may be talking about future drive, I guess). Buy 2 WD 500GB passport HD's ($80 each) and use one to back up everything but the movies and TM (I use SuperDuper which makes the drive bootable in case you have a system failure). Backup once a month. Use the 2nd drive as your "portable and transfer stuff you would like to take with you onto it.

Not saying a nice big NAS isn't great to have, but that is off in the future. You just need to make sure you don't lose irreplaceable stuff...now.

End of lecture #2.:D

My external was a WD Passport 1TB. My internal HDD for the MBP is 750GB. I don't know if a 500GB is enough to do backups. The other external was almost full and over half of it was backups.

mic j
Aug 24, 2012, 06:36 PM
My external was a WD Passport 1TB. My internal HDD for the MBP is 750GB. I don't know if a 500GB is enough to do backups. The other external was almost full and over half of it was backups.

You're wanting to backup everything...and that can be expensive. Also, partition your disk for TM so that you limit it. It will grow to the space given to it. How often to we need to go back 2 years to retrieve something?

The DRis
Dec 7, 2012, 11:12 AM
Hopefully getting cash towards a new iMac this Christmas, at least that's what the in-laws have hinted towards. I'm thinking 27" with the i7, can't wait to encode a Blu-Ray and see how many FPS it will process.