Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doubledown7d

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Just bought a new stylus that came from a kickstarter project. Read about it here: http://www.sensubrush.com/
Trying to find a case to hold my new ipad and the sensu. I checked out the Portenzo, and it is sweet but not exactly what I wanted and I've read they have long wait times. Also considered the Targus Versavu. I really dig it but have heard it no longer supports mag on/off and don't love the cutout in the back. It seems like dirt could get in and scratch the back.
As a backup I found something on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/9912014..._type=handmade&ga_facet=handmadeStylus+holder

What am I missing? Something cool and sweet looking. Any suggestions?

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
The 1st release of the Targus VersaVu had the magnets for the on/off, but they, like others, were hoodwinked by Apple's design change.

The new version (got mine two weeks ago), has been corrected. (and they fixed the tray/holder to better conform with the 3rd gen iPad being a little thicker).

It's a great case! For my usage (just at home, just in the living room), the hole in the back is a non-issue.

Mike

doubledown7d

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
The 1st release of the Targus VersaVu had the magnets for the on/off, but they, like others, were hoodwinked by Apple's design change.

The new version (got mine two weeks ago), has been corrected. (and they fixed the tray/holder to better conform with the 3rd gen iPad being a little thicker).

It's a great case! For my usage (just at home, just in the living room), the hole in the back is a non-issue.

Mike

Thanks for the comment Mike. I had looked at their site and they did not tout the on off feature. Glad to know that is back on the table. Can you tell me where you got your newer version? I'd like to go check one out.

DuckSoup

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2008
Upstate Central NY
I bought mine day one at Best Buy and discovered right off the bat it did not work. Came here and saw others had the same issue, as did other cases by other manufacturers.

I went to Targus.com and placed a review on their website saying I loved the case except the magnetic on/off feature did not work.

They never posted my review, however they emailed me on Monday saying they knew of the problem, send them a copy of my receipt and when they get new ones in they'll send me a new one (and to keep the old one). They said 6 to 8 weeks.

In the coming days they edited their website to remove the magnetic on/off feature for the VersaVu, and in the following weeks the ones in the stores (that did not work) had a front and rear sticker put on them covering the mention of the magnetic on/off.

A little over three weeks ago they posted on their Facebook page (Targus did) that the new cases were in and would be shipped out shortly.

If you wish to bite on one, I suggest one of two things. Call them and order one and of course re-assure yourself that you want one of the new ones, or got to a store and either take your iPad with you, or use one of theirs and place it in a VersaVu to ensure it works. Third option is if the case packaging has no stickers and mentions the on/off, buy it. If it don't work, take it back.

Note, it works 95% of the time. But if you shift the cover so that the edge is not parallel with the case, the magnets of course are not in the right place and it will turn on. It will NOT naturally do that of curse.

Also, to ensure it STAYS off, you really need to use the strap to keep the cover tight to the case, that is unless you lay it flat on a surface. Mine is typically on a pile of junk that is 30 to 45 degrees and it will let the cover "open" a smidge when at those angles and thus the iPad turns on.

Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.