PDA

View Full Version : TeamViewer v's Remote Login

Fritzables
May 21, 2012, 07:50 PM
Hi All,

I would like to have the ability to take control of my iMac from work.

What I need to best understand is, what method is preferred when using services like TeamViewer over using Mac's Remote Login with SSH?

Fritzables

Silencio
May 22, 2012, 09:53 AM
Hi All,

I would like to have the ability to take control of my iMac from work.

What I need to best understand is, what method is preferred when using services like TeamViewer over using Mac's Remote Login with SSH?

Fritzables

I've been using Back To My Mac for some years now, generally works very reliably and seamlessly. Connections are carried over SSL-encrypted point-to-point IPSec. BTMM is one of Apple's most underrated products IMO.

Fritzables
May 22, 2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks Silencio,

Does Back To My MAC wake out of Sleep??

Pete

Quotenfrau
May 26, 2012, 08:35 AM

I wouldn't recommend TeamViewer, because it's some kind of Cloud solution. It means there are servers hosted by TeamViewer in the middle.

You need a direct encrypted connection. SSH has the disadvantage that you can't start native OS X applications (only X11 applications). If you are not a UNIX purist, SSH won't help you. For example opening "Safari" doesn't work.

John Kotches
May 26, 2012, 09:22 AM
I wouldn't recommend TeamViewer, because it's some kind of Cloud solution. It means there are servers hosted by TeamViewer in the middle.

You need a direct encrypted connection. SSH has the disadvantage that you can't start native OS X applications (only X11 applications). If you are not a UNIX purist, SSH won't help you. For example opening "Safari" doesn't work.

The unix "purists" probably already know the tricks of the trade, like using ssh's tunneling/port forwarding features to do what we need to do :D

Fritzables
May 26, 2012, 05:43 PM
Thanks John,
Have got it sussed now. I have the SSH working fine, which gives me the underlying OS and then if I want a GUI I then use VNC through the tunnel.

Pete

John Kotches
May 26, 2012, 06:32 PM
Thanks John,
Have got it sussed now. I have the SSH working fine, which gives me the underlying OS and then if I want a GUI I then use VNC through the tunnel.

Pete

Thats how I do it.

I need to sign up for dyndns so that I can use hostname instead of IP address. Although my IP address rarely changes, it can change if there's an ISP outage (rare).