Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lukester

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
RI
When you download files, programs and once they are installed, do you keep those files in your Download folder for a backup or do you delete them?

My folder is getting full of lots of downloaded stuff, thinking about cleaning house.. thoughts?

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I delete them, unless I won't be able to redownload them, in which case I have a folder called "Installers" that I store them in. You don't need them once the program has been installed, and usually you can redownload if you ever need to reinstall.

jW

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
I'll leave them in the download folder for a week or two in case for some strange reason I need them again. I know I could delete and download again but since it's there already I can save myself some time if the need arose. There are never more than maybe 7-8 at one time in my case.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
I put them in a folder and when it's big enough I burn them on DVD (I know I'm old school :()

Komentra

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2011
I am OCD about keeping as much free hard drive space as possible. A good program that you can find on the App Store is called Spacie (Link).

It just gives you a nice overview of where most of your space is being used. There may be some free options I am unaware of but this was pretty cheap and does exactly what I want. It may just be what you want for "cleaning house". :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.